GA GA - Mary Shotwell Little, 25, Atlanta, 14 Oct 1965

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hey ya - i've been reading up on this too for the last few days, will post my notes up later...

Just off the top of my head, that plaque looks quite heavy, Mary was reportedly had a cut on her head correct... just saying that looks like it could leave quite a mark, and would probably be heavy enough to do that amount of damage...

food for thought...

Was Diane's boss who refused to co-operate with cold cases investigators in anyway or manner work with or boss or Mary? does anyone know?

Was Diane's boss who refused to co-operate with cold cases investigators in anyway or manner work with or boss or Mary? does anyone know?

I do not know for sure.But, Diane did the exact same job as Mary,and even sat at her desk. Since it was quite close to the time that Mary disappeared it is reasonable to * suppose * that their boss was the same man. IIRC, he was the Human Resources manager for the bank. Both Mary and Diane would have been privy to the information about all hires at the bank....

The bank was an interesting place. At that time this bank did most all of the loans for new construction in Atlanta. And Atlanta was one of the fastest growing metro areas then....

JMO

Its really creepy to read that both women had the same job and they sat at the same desk.... and Diane dies horribly and Mary certainly appears to be taken against her will and probably was killed as well in my opinion.

Its really creepy to read that both women had the same job and they sat at the same desk.... and Diane dies horribly and Mary certainly appears to be taken against her will and probably was killed as well in my opinion.

Diane also moved in with Mary's old roomies... I wondered if Diane was investigating Mary's disappearance when she was murdered. At the time of her death she was living with her sister,who had moved to Atlanta from Alabama...

JMO

It's interesting that the license plate on the car which stopped at the gasoline stations had been stolen in North Carolina a month before Mary vanished. Was her abduction/disappearance carefully planned ? Why was Mary taken across the Georgia state line ? That was a huge risk,IMO. And also,why take Mary anywhere near her hometown,where anyone might have recognized her ?

I do not think that Mary's boss was involved in her disappearance. IIRC,LE did question him. He was not in the car when she was being driven north.He was back in Georgia. I do not believe he was high up on the bank's food chain to be able to hire accomplices to help him in a kidnapping and possible murder scheme. It may be that he had/has a good idea of what happened to her though.And that could be why he would not talk to cold case investigators ?

JMO

It's interesting that the license plate on the car which stopped at the gasoline stations had been stolen in North Carolina a month before Mary vanished. Was her abduction/disappearance carefully planned ? Why was Mary taken across the Georgia state line ? That was a huge risk,IMO. And also,why take Mary anywhere near her hometown,where anyone might have recognized her ?

I do not think that Mary's boss was involved in her disappearance. IIRC,LE did question him. He was not in the car when she was being driven north.He was back in Georgia. I do not believe he was high up on the bank's food chain to be able to hire accomplices to help him in a kidnapping and possible murder scheme. It may be that he had/has a good idea of what happened to her though.And that could be why he would not talk to cold case investigators ?

JMO

The license plate was actually stolen in mid October -- very close to the time that Mary disappeared. Also, there is something very interesting on the charley project page. Just before she vanished,Mary told her co workers that she had something very important to tell them.... She never told them what it was...I would really like to know what it was that she knew.... Working in Human Resources,what could she have seen,or read ? Some information about a new bank employee, or some information that she came across about an existing employee ?

JMO

I and a number of others have expressed the wish that Mary and Diane's cases could be reviewed by an experienced criminal profiler. Specifically, I've hoped a profiler could develop a detailed profile of the man who was responsible for these crimes. At one point, I contacted one criminal profiler myself to ask for his help with these cases. I was disappointed to get what seemed like a form letter response, saying he only got involved in cases at the request of law enforcement. With the passage of time and so little physical evidence left today from these cases (both the Atlanta and East Point police have reportedly lost all the physical evidence from these crimes), a detailed profile of the killer probably offers the best chance of solving these cases.

I've done some limited research on criminal profiling (and watched my share of TV crime shows), and I'd like to offer my own basic and probably simplistic profile of the killer. Some experts talk about the "Mask of Sanity" and that's the thing that jumps out at me about these crimes. This killer had to be personable, respectable, and project an air of trustworthiness to get close to Mary and Diane. He was not the weird guy you might move away from in a crowd - they must have been acquainted with him (to some extent) and they must have believed they could trust him. Some profilers separate killers into "organized" and "disorganized". This killer must've been very organized. I believe he stalked Mary and Diane for weeks, months, or maybe even longer in Diane's case. The car tag stolen from the Charlotte area weeks before Mary was kidnapped, the complex movements with Mary's car that remain a riddle today, the sighting of Mary at the NC gas stations; all these things, speak to me of a man who was well organized. Not to mention someone who enjoyed taking big risks. He must have operated as a hunter stalking his prey. And as many serial killers are, he was an extreme narcissist - I believe he enjoyed the idea of creating a riddle that would baffle the police and make him feel superior to law enforcement. Also as a narcissist, I think he enjoyed creating the horrific crime scenes to spead fear throughout the community. In my mind, there's no way these crimes were random or crimes of opportuntiy - they were just far too well planned.

And in no way do I mean to express admiration for this coldblooded killer. I'd just like to attribute some characteristics to the killer, draw a sort of picture of him, based on the facts in the hope that someday someone will recognize him. I realize the FBI defines a serial killer as one who has committed three or more murders, but I suspect this guy probably committed other murders. I also suspect he's long dead or in some other way incapacitated. These are my initial opinions. I'd welcome feedback from anyone with any knowlege of criminal profiling - even amatuers like me - or any other opinons about the killer.

My name is Karen Smith. I created the above referenced FB page. I have been investigating this case for over 12 years and have contacts with law enforcement and we have been working together. I have reviewed the entire APD police file (which I found at the city offices after the law suit) and about 600 pages of the Little FBI file. I will be glad to answer questions as I can regarding the cases. I have looked through the blog and will try to go back and respond to things that I feel need to be cleared up. We are an active group on Facebook and would love to have others join. We are going to keep trying to solve this.

One particular theory in Mary's case has been reviewed by a former FBI profiler. In his opinion that particular theory didn't pan out. He was so kind to do it at no charge, then another person who was providing information really ticked him off. I will be requesting his assistance soon however.

I and a number of others have expressed the wish that Mary and Diane's cases could be reviewed by an experienced criminal profiler. Specifically, I've hoped a profiler could develop a detailed profile of the man who was responsible for these crimes. At one point, I contacted one criminal profiler myself to ask for his help with these cases. I was disappointed to get what seemed like a form letter response, saying he only got involved in cases at the request of law enforcement. With the passage of time and so little physical evidence left today from these cases (both the Atlanta and East Point police have reportedly lost all the physical evidence from these crimes), a detailed profile of the killer probably offers the best chance of solving these cases.

I've done some limited research on criminal profiling (and watched my share of TV crime shows), and I'd like to offer my own basic and probably simplistic profile of the killer. Some experts talk about the "Mask of Sanity" and that's the thing that jumps out at me about these crimes. This killer had to be personable, respectable, and project an air of trustworthiness to get close to Mary and Diane. He was not the weird guy you might move away from in a crowd - they must have been acquainted with him (to some extent) and they must have believed they could trust him. Some profilers separate killers into "organized" and "disorganized". This killer must've been very organized. I believe he stalked Mary and Diane for weeks, months, or maybe even longer in Diane's case. The car tag stolen from the Charlotte area weeks before Mary was kidnapped, the complex movements with Mary's car that remain a riddle today, the sighting of Mary at the NC gas stations; all these things, speak to me of a man who was well organized. Not to mention someone who enjoyed taking big risks. He must have operated as a hunter stalking his prey. And as many serial killers are, he was an extreme narcissist - I believe he enjoyed the idea of creating a riddle that would baffle the police and make him feel superior to law enforcement. Also as a narcissist, I think he enjoyed creating the horrific crime scenes to spead fear throughout the community. In my mind, there's no way these crimes were random or crimes of opportuntiy - they were just far too well planned.

And in no way do I mean to express admiration for this coldblooded killer. I'd just like to attribute some characteristics to the killer, draw a sort of picture of him, based on the facts in the hope that someday someone will recognize him. I realize the FBI defines a serial killer as one who has committed three or more murders, but I suspect this guy probably committed other murders. I also suspect he's long dead or in some other way incapacitated. These are my initial opinions. I'd welcome feedback from anyone with any knowlege of criminal profiling - even amatuers like me - or any other opinons about the killer.
Very good! Many points are very valid and probably right on the mark.

JMO you have some interesting information known by very few. Very interesting to read.

Princess Rose, I agree with your premise - Mary's manager's behavior on the morning and the day of Friday, October 15th was questionable at best. He's identified in some articles as Eugene Rackley and a cursory internet search shows he appears to be still living, though now in another part of Georgia. So far as I know neither he nor any other C&S executive was seriously questioned or considered suspects by law enforcement at the time - that's so telling to me – but those were the rules in 1965, I suppose.

Mary was stalked in the last months of her life by a diabolically clever perpetrator whose threatening behavior escalated until it culminated in her abduction on October 14, 1965. Some say Mary may have been sexually harassed by one of her previous managers at C&S. But C&S Bank had tremendous influence in Atlanta and throughout GA at that time - I feel they could've shut down any investigation that might have been potentially embarrassing to the bank.

Because the perp was clever and resourceful enough to stage a crime scene that was gruesome and macabre, he further taunted law enforcement and Mary's family and friends. Can you imagine the pain the photos of the bloody car and her torn undergarments caused them?

Then this guy went far beyond staging of the scene to cause further pain and degradation - this guy staged an entire play by taking Mary to NC in a second car with a stolen tag, having her seen at the two Esso stations where she signed her name to the gas charge slips (the signature verified by her parents), having her own car (the Mercury Comet) returned to Lenox in broad daylight on Friday within hours of the time he and Mary were sighted at the first gas station in Charlotte - then arranging a second NC sighting at a Raleigh gas station some 10 or 12 hours later that day. Can you imagine the initial hope those sightings (and subsequent anguish of waiting day after day, week after week) caused Mary's loved ones? This guy is or was a sadistic, violent, but dangerously clever perp - he was no junkie or street hustler. And how anyone could look at this complex, carefully executed crime (carried out with military-like precision) and call this a random crime or a “crime of opportunity” is beyond me.

And as most killers do, he arrogantly pushed his luck by repeating the crime with Diane Sheilds. Unlike Mary’s disappearance, with Diane's murder he gave law enforcement a body and a second crime scene. A crime scene he also cruelly staged BTW with Diane's scarf stuffed down her throat and her body dumped in the trunk of her car next to the Betty Crocker Cookbook for newlyweds. There must have been something about Mary and Diane becoming engaged or marrying other men that particularly enraged this perp.

IMO this killer stalked and murdered Diane, just as he stalked, abducted, and likely murdered Mary. The parallels are unmistakable and they all point IMO to someone who knew (and probably worked) with Mary and Diane at C&S bank. Yet there's no evidence that law enforcement ever looked at suspects within the bank even after the SECOND murder, of Diane. In fairness to LE, the word “stalking” and the concept of “sexual harassment” in the work place were virtually unheard of in 1965.

Even though Atlanta PD has reportedly lost all the evidence in Mary's case (including a bloody fingerprint recovered from her Mercury Comet), if they would re-open these cases and use some of the tools available to law enforcement today - such as checking for fiber or DNA evidence on Diane Shield’s body, clothes, and car. And if they would have a criminal profiler develop a detailed profile of this killer based on the ample recorded evidence from the two crimes - they could move this case forward. I believe someone could recognize this perp from a detailed criminal profile. And someone already has suspicions or knowledge - this guy's psychotic behavior didn't start with or end with Mary and Diane. An ex-wife, ex-girlfriend, sister, brother, co-worker - someone suspects, knows, or has gotten a horrifying glimpse of this man's dark side.

But what will it take to motivate LE? The state of Ohio recently brought charges against a man who's accused of murdering his 15 year-old girlfriend in 1963. The state of Georgia within the last few years successfully prosecuted a serial rapist and serial killer without a body or a crime scene. Cases like this are being solved every day.

If you consider what Mary and Diane's families and friends have endured, these last 40 years or so – it's difficult to comprehend. If LE would reopen these cases (though I imagine their official response would be, "These cases remain 'Open'.") or at the very least assign them to a cold case team to review the facts and the evidence with fresh eyes and with the tools available today - it would be an amazing gift to their families and to all of us. Until he's caught, we have no way of knowing if this guy is still out there or not.
Eugene Rackley lived in St. Simons I believe when I contacted him a few years ago. He quickly stopped corresponding with me. I got the impression that he was just giving me enough info to check me out. I read the portions in the police reports over and over about Eugene Rackley. Something always bothered me. Haven't been able to put my finger on it.

The FBI had the bloody fingerprint. I had a xerox copy. It was not legible enough for the cold case unit to get a comparison with two suspects.

I disagree. I think the bank manager was discarded too early as a suspect. He was there at the bank purposely to do an internal investigation. He told law enforcement it was to investigate the homosexual cliques at this branch and others. I think he was-and still is- a viable person of interest. At the very least.

The license plate was actually stolen in mid October -- very close to the time that Mary disappeared. Also, there is something very interesting on the charley project page. Just before she vanished,Mary told her co workers that she had something very important to tell them.... She never told them what it was...I would really like to know what it was that she knew.... Working in Human Resources,what could she have seen,or read ? Some information about a new bank employee, or some information that she came across about an existing employee ?

JMO
I have read every police report on this case. I have never seen a witness report from anyone at the bank stating she told them she had something very important to tell them. Any idea where the Charley Project got that?

I've just read all the pages of this case after seeing it highlighted, some excellent & interesting sleuthing. I absolutely agree with the sentiment expressed a few pages back that it would be fascinating to hear the thoughts of a criminal profiler.
It's frustrating everytime when reading about these dated cases that DNA could not be used as it is today, I just find I have to hold hope that even as time passes people may still come forward with information. I'm so pleased people are still so interested to look into & remember these cases - I hope one day this and the case of Diane are solved
I learned today that, most likely, the FBI took all of the evidence. They went to detectives in both cases and took their case files. It is reasonable they went to the evidence room and took this evidence. The question will always be, Why?

Roy Little was at a training conference for bank examiners when Mary vanished. He was about 70 miles away. His whereabouts were verified. I believe that the report about them being separated was inaccurate, I read it someplace. He knew the exact amount of miles on their car because his job paid for his mileage, and that car was their only vehicle. The roses came when he was out of town.

One of the detectives on the case found Mary's husband's behavior to be strange.Apparently he showed little or no surprise or shock when he was shown the blood stained interior of the car. He refused a poly, and has consistently refused to discuss the case. Yet his alibi held up.

These things make me think that he had a good idea of what happened to Mary,but that he was not responsible. I think it's possible that Mary and her husband discussed goings on at that bank. I've always wondered if Mary knerw something she maybe shouldn't have, and planned her disappearance...

JMO
They were not separated. There is absolutely no evidence to support it. In fact, she shopped for a dinner party they were having on the weekend with old friends.

just finished reading this whole thread last night as well as the facebook page. i have some questions maybe someone with more knowledge of the case can answer for me.
was it common back then to go and look for a co worker? i work in retail and if someone does not show up to work we just give them a call.

do you think the bank manager knew more of what was going on and wanted to make sure her car was there.

was the grocery store in the same area that she was visiting her co worker for dinner with? could she have gone grocery shopping after the friend dropped her back to her car. could she have gone before then and all the groceries that were in the car just dry and caned goods.? could security have been involved and thats why they reported not seeing her car?

did anyone from the grocery store see anything or see her on that night?

also nothing is mentioned about the husband. did he remarry after all of this does he have any children is he still alive? did he know something that mary had told him and he was to afraid to say anything to le because he was being blackmailed by those people.

why did her mother have the investigation called off a few years later?
We still have no idea why the mother asked the detective in charge to stop the investigation. He immediately asked the FBI to wiretap the mother's home and they refused.

just finished reading this whole thread last night as well as the facebook page. i have some questions maybe someone with more knowledge of the case can answer for me.
was it common back then to go and look for a co worker? i work in retail and if someone does not show up to work we just give them a call.

do you think the bank manager knew more of what was going on and wanted to make sure her car was there.

was the grocery store in the same area that she was visiting her co worker for dinner with? could she have gone grocery shopping after the friend dropped her back to her car. could she have gone before then and all the groceries that were in the car just dry and caned goods.? could security have been involved and thats why they reported not seeing her car?

did anyone from the grocery store see anything or see her on that night?

also nothing is mentioned about the husband. did he remarry after all of this does he have any children is he still alive? did he know something that mary had told him and he was to afraid to say anything to le because he was being blackmailed by those people.

why did her mother have the investigation called off a few years later?
I am going to respond as best as I can without having this post in front of me. I will include the post in my reply.
Rackley told law enforcement that he called mary's house and got no answer. He also told them he went to her house and the paper from the day before was still on the porch and her mail, I think. He then went to where Isla Stack told him she last saw mary-in the parking lot of Lennox Mall.
According to someone who lived there at the time and shopped at Lennox mall, the Picadilly cafeteria was on a floor above the grocery store. One had to go to the ground level to get to the grocery store. The two girls, Mary and Isla (Ila) saved the grocery shopping for last. The bag boy who loaded the groceries in Mary's car was extensively interviewed and his report showed nothing unusual about Mary's demeanor or the encounter.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kate E
Back