GA - Rapper Young + others indicted on RICO & other charges, May 2022. Trial ongoing April 2023, interruptions, lawyer arrested. Fulton County.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Deangelo White was quite a character on the witness stand today. He kept insisting they take him back to the "chain gang prison" (his words). I can't imagine how they managed to even get him into the courthouse. Judge says White will be back on the witness stand tomorrow. I listened to his testimony and found him oddly amusing.o_O moo

Judge Glanville has taken the bench and we are underway for today in the YSL/Young trial.Deangelo White, one of the victims of the alleged April 2015 attempted murder, will continue his testimony.

Yesterday, White repeatedly told ADA Adkins that he did not want to be there and would rather go back to prison.

"I don't know nobody in the courtroom right now," White said.

It appears White will continue to respond to the state's questioning the same way as he did yesterday. He keeps saying that he is being held against his will on the stand by the DA office.

"I don't even know Walter Murphy. Why do keep trying to make me know somebody?" White asks ADA Adkins, who just continues with his questioning.

"Walter Murphy sounds like a white person," White said."How much these folks paying you to try to make it seem like I know these people?" White asked ADA Adkins.

"Are you scared to testify here today?" Adkins asked."Why would I be scared to testify something if it got nothing to do with me?" White said.

"I'm trying to go back to prison," White told Adkins, as he continues to ask questions about the April 2015 incident.

"I can't help you," White told Adkins.

The state’s questioning appears to be done for now. YoungThug’s attorney Brian Steel is now questioning White.

White is testifying that he never saw or said anything about YoungThug being involved in the April 2015 incident.

White seems to be more open to answering Steel’s questions than the state questions.

After two days of testimony, White has been permanently excused as a witness.Lunch break at 1:30 p.m.

@JozsefPapp_

Walter Murphy, who is believed to be a co-founder of YSL, is now on the stand testifying.Murphy took a plea deal in December 2022. He was sentenced to 10 years, with one year commuted to time served and nine years of probation, as part of the negotiated plea.

Murphy was involved in the April 2015 attempted murder.Murphy spent seven years in prison on for the 2015 case. He was out on parole when he was named in the YSL indictment.Murphy has a tattoo with the letters “YSL” on his forehead.

Murphy said he has known YoungThug and his family members for as long as he can remember.

Murphy said he calls YoungThug, “Lil’ Jeff”. Murphy identified Young in the courtroom.

Murphy said he had a relationship with all of YoungThug's siblings. "I don't have a relationship with him," Murphy said when asked if he still has a relationship/friendship with YoungThug.

"I had more important relationships to worry about than friends," Murphy said about getting out of prison and possibly rekindling his relationship with Young .

Murphy said one of his nicknames is "DK”.

"I try to forget about Cleveland Avenue. I haven't been on Cleveland Avenue in 10 years," Murphy said.ADA Hylton is now asking about different people and whether or not they were part of ROC Crew, Raised on Cleveland.

Murphy said he would call himself a part of the Blood gang."I thought it was cool," Murphy said.

When asked if Trontavious Stephens or YoungThug were members of Sex, Money, Murder, Murphy said he didn't know about what anyone else was doing other than himself.

"I got four kids, I'm not thinking about that," Murphy said about some of the alleged language YSL members used.

The state is going through tweets Murphy tweeted from his account in 2012.

Murphy testified that YoungThug, Trontavious Stephens ("Thick") and himself formed YSL, as a music group."We was trying to rap, we was trying to make money off rapping," Murphy said.

Murphy said he doesn't know why YSL evolved into a gang. He said he thinks YSL came from the designer-clothes "YSL". He said they formed YSL because they wanted to rap.

The state asked Murphy about YSL Mondo and whether he is, in fact, a founder of YSL. Murphy said he doesn't consider him a founder. Fulton DA Fani Willis represented YSL Mondo back in 2019, before she became DA.

Murphy said members didn't have to pay or commit crimes to be part of YSL. "Not to my knowledge," Murphy said.

Glanville and defense attorney Max Schardt are going back and forth now. Glanville tells Schardt that he needed to file a motion months ago, not yesterday.

The problem is regarding a proffer statement Murphy gave to Suri Chadha Jimenez, who used to work for the Fulton County DA's Office, and back in 2016 that the state wants to use.Jimenez, who is now a defense attorney, represented Cordarius Dorsey in the YSL case.

"There is the possibility and probability that (the jurors) are going to be confused about that," Glanville said about the fact Jimenez will be on the proffer statement and jurors saw him as a defense attorney during jury selection.

"I guess y'all will be working this weekend then, because this is exactly what I told you was going to be a problem. You bring this stuff up, I got a jury sitting in the box and you got a witness you probably going to have days of examination with," Glanville said.

The state and Schardt appear to have come to an agreement regarding Jimenez’ involvement.ADA Hylton said they agree to redact Jimenez from the statements they are trying to present to the jury.

Glanville said he is mostly annoyed over the fact that the motion could have been filed months ago instead of yesterday.

The jury still has not been dismissed for the day.

@JozsefPapp_

@JozsefPapp_

It's 6:12 p.m. and the jury still has not been excused. They were taken back to the jury room shortly before 5 p.m.

Glanville is going to dismiss the jury and court will resume tomorrow morning at 8:45 a.m. but the jury and Murphy won't come back until 10:30 a.m. The hour and 15 minutes will be spent arguing Schardt's motion on the statements the state is trying to admit.

6:21 PM · Apr 10, 2024

edit: to include:
Glanville apologized the jury for making them wait for so long. He said Friday court will start at 1 p.m. and then he will let the jury know about the rest of the schedule for April and into May.

6:24 PM · Apr 10, 2024

Last edited:
Walter Murphy, the alleged co-founder of #YSL, took the stand on Wednesday, speaking on his relationship with rapper #YoungThug. Murphy testified whether or not he still has a relationship with the rapper. Young is believed to be the founder of the YSL gang.

Walter Murphy, the alleged co-founder of YSL, told the jury about the start of the music group and whether or not it turned into a gang. He was named in the YSL indictment and took a plea deal in December 2022.

@JozsefPapp_

Glanville told attorneys that unless they come to an agreement, he will hold court on Saturday to give him enough time to resolve these issues.

5:33 PM · Apr 10, 2024
Judge Glanville and attys continue on the record discussion about Murphy's proffer statement and atty Schardt's motion. All defendants and respective attorneys in attendance. The plan is to wrap up this motion by noon tomorrow. Meanwhile, jury has been hanging out in jury room. No happy campers in this courtroom this evening. After a bit more scolding, Glanville restates lawyers may be working Saturday. Glanville just called in jurors to release them. Tells them to arrive 10:00 a.m. tomorrow for 10:30 start time.
Friday 1 pm start time. moo

On the first day court was scheduled to start at 8:45 a.m., it started about 30 minutes later.Glanville is going through the motion regarding out of court statements made by Walter Murphy and law enforcement that the state want to introduce.

There is argument relating to one of the statements that includes the name and information about an alleged "crooked" police officer who the state believes assisted YSL members by providing information and had relationships with them.

ADA Hylton said the FBI was called in to investigate the officer, but not sure if there was an internal investigation.
The officer no longer works with Atlanta Police but couldn't tell the court as to why he is no longer employed there.

Here is the motion that attorney Max Schardt filed on behalf of his client Shannon Stillwell regarding Murphy's statement. Most of the argument is about statements A, B, C and another statement not in the motion.

Glanville will defer ruling on A, B and C, depending on Murphy's testimony. The State intends to bring up those statements if Murphy brings them up.They related to Murphy being "scared" about talking to police and that getting back to Young and what could happen to him.

It seems argument relating to the statements are over. The court is still waiting for a juror to arrive so the court is on recess until then.

Since the issue was resolved, it appears there won't be court on Saturday after all.

Glanville will defer ruling on A, B and C, depending on Murphy's testimony. The State intends to bring up those statements if Murphy brings them up.They related to Murphy being "scared" about talking to police and that getting back to Young and what could happen to him.

It seems argument relating to the statements are over. The court is still waiting for a juror to arrive so the court is on recess until then.

Since the issue was resolved, it appears there won't be court on Saturday after all.
BBM - like we really thought Glanville would work on Saturday. He barely has court during the week. LOL

Murphy says regarding the 2016 interview he had with prosecutors and investigators that he would have done anything just to get back to his son.

Walter Murphy, alleged co-founder of YSL, is back on the stand.Murphy said he “took” to the streets to get money for his family and to pay his bills.

Murphy said YSL had a a couple of different meanings: “Young Slime Life”, “Young Successful Life”, “Young Successful Lifestyle”.Murphy said Slime in “Young Slime Life” meant “brother” or “blood” to them.

Murphy said red and green were colors symbolic for YSL.He also showed a hand sign with three fingers that YSL members used.

Murphy also showed what it means to "wipe his nose”.

Murphy said members of YSL would call Cleveland Avenue, "Bleveland Avenue", but he never knew why they called it "Bleveland”.

Murphy identified Deamonte Kendrick/Yak Gotti and Shannon Stillwell in the courtroom as members of YSL.

ADA Hylton went through the defendants named in the indictment and asked Murphy if he knew them and were members of YSL.Murphy identified the following as YSL members: Martinez Arnold; Kendrick; Demise McMullen; Antonio Sledge; Trontavious Stephens; Stillwell and YoungThug.

Murphy identified Quantavious Grier as Young 's brother. He also said he met some of those named in the indictment in Rice Street.He said he had never met Gunna.

"I don't know what anybody else was doing," Murphy said about whether he was the only one committing crimes as part of YSL.

Murphy is reading the acknowledgements he made as part of his plea deal.

Break for lunch. Back at 2 p.m. and work until around 4 p.m.He will then talk to them about administrative days from now to June.

@JozsefPapp_

ADA Hylton is asking Murphy questions about stuff he told investigators/detectives back in 2015, but Murphy says that he doesn’t recall.

He is asked if he remembers telling investigators about people who were there the night the bus was shot up, but Murphy said it was long ago.“I don’t recall,” Murphy said about Young being there.

Murphy is asked about the April 2015 attempted murder that he pleaded guilty to. Murphy said he doesn’t know any Deangelo White, who is the last state witness and an alleged victim of the 2015 incident.

A lot of the questions ADA Hylton asked Murphy are related to conversations Murphy had with detectives and investigators. Most of the questions began with, “do you recall telling…”. The conversations took place around 2015 so Murphy says that he doesn’t recall most of them.

Murphy did say that, at that point, he would have said anything he needed to say just to get back to his family.

Court will resume with Murphy's testimony tomorrow at 1 p.m.

@JozsefPapp_

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member