GA - Rapper Young + others indicted on RICO & other charges, May 2022. Trial ongoing April 2023, interruptions, lawyer arrested. Fulton County.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@neonflag

Schardt is arguing that Stillwell's primary motivation wasn't gang activity ... but money. Dollar bill green. Stillwell was raised in Forest Cove Apartments, which if you've been following my work looking at poverty, you understand is a fresh hell of Atlanta's unique vintage.

4:36 PM · Nov 27, 2023

Rap "is really a bad occupation to try to get into," Schardt says to the jury. "Like other men in the rap game, chasing the dream, he wasn't making any money."Dollar bill green turned into bud green, Schardt said. His marijuana sales are being used as evidence of conspiracy.

4:37 PM · Nov 27, 2023

"We're not hiding from the fact that he's sold drugs," Schardt says. The guns and criminal convictions were about "making money to live, to make money, to pay rent, to eat," and had nothing to do with YSL, he said."He was a drug dealer. He pled guilty. He did his time."

4:40 PM · Nov 27, 2023

Schardt's argument goes to the heart of the racketeering question. The state has to prove that the varied and assorted crimes by individuals were in service to a larger organizational purpose. The defense has to convince jurors that defendants were acting on their own.

4:42 PM · Nov 27, 2023

Schardt is also arguing that the conditions of Fulton County Jail are horrendous, and also that inmates have lost "control of their destiny," which led them to offer testimony that should be questioned because their own lives and freedom were on the line.

4:44 PM · Nov 27, 2023

He's highlighting potential witnesses: Quandarius Zachary, Kenneth Copeland, Sammy Davis and Termon Stillwell, all of whom were under arrest and facing serious charges when giving testimony to the police - that they flipped to save their own necks.

4:45 PM · Nov 27, 2023

The Donovan Thomas shooting was caught on surveillance video, Schardt said - something else that wasn't evident to me.

4:48 PM · Nov 27, 2023

Nicholas Robinson was arrested in October 2015, and implicated Stillwell, along with Kenneth "Lil' Woody" Copeland, Antonio Sledge, Damekion Garlington, Quindarious Zachary, Schardt said.
Only, it was all because Robinson was lying about his identity, Schardt said.

4:53 PM · Nov 27, 2023

Spencer Wright - aka Nicholas Robinson - was the basis for arrest warrants initially in the case. But the DA threw out the charges because Wright wasn't in the video where he said he was.

4:56 PM · Nov 27, 2023

We are now, finally, learning why it's taken eight years for a prosecution on this murder. The initial investigation was tainted by someone fabricating evidence.

4:59 PM · Nov 27, 2023

Kenneth Copeland "hates jail more than anything," Schardt says. But Lil' Woody does a terrible job avoiding it. "Every time he's arrested, law enforcement runs out to talk to him."Schardt notes that Copeland isn't charged in this case.

5:01 PM · Nov 27, 2023

Schardt is making the best argument that probably could be made in the face of some damning electronic evidence, if they have what they say they have on Stillwell's ankle monitor.

5:05 PM · Nov 27, 2023

The state basically broadcast to the street that Stillwell was Donovan Thomas' killer, Schardt said, which led to multiple attempts on his life. YFN tried to kill him while riding in a car and instead killed Tiara Jones as the car flipped in the crash.

5:08 PM · Nov 27, 2023

Stillwell has lived like a marked man ever since, moving frequently, renting cars and concealing his identity, Schardt argued, asking the jury to take this professional paranoia into account.

5:09 PM · Nov 27, 2023

Schardt is describing what jurors will see on video from the gas station, noting that there will be no interaction between him and Shymel Drinks before Drinks is killed elsewhere.Stillwell's car subsequently runs a red light by the car where Drinks' body is found.

5:15 PM · Nov 27, 2023

Last edited:
@neonflag

Schardt is essentially arguing that the surveillance video and the ankle monitor placing him in proximity to the murder is a wild leap by the police, connected to a coincidental near-encounter - that it's purely accidental that Stillwell was near a guy who was later killed.

5:17 PM · Nov 27, 2023

@jewelwickershow

Schardt tells jurors about a man who, under a fake name, identified his client as one of the men who shot at Thomas. He says surveillance footage will show that the man was not where he says he was when he witnessed the killing.

4:58 PM · Nov 27, 2023

Schardt says surveillance footage also doesn't show his client interacting with or shooting Shymel Drinks. Stillwell is charged with killing Drinks. (Stillwell is referred to as Shannon Jackson in this article. Jackson is his paternal family name.)

https://ajc.com/news/crime/2-suspects-arrested-in-fatal-mechanicsville-drive-by-shooting-near-i-20/ZDDDWIXCNJHMTFTLND7IM3I24U/#:~:text=Shymel%20Drinks%2C%2023%2C%20was%20found,He%20died%20at%20the%20scene.

@neonflag

Schardt is wrapping up. It's about as good as anyone could ask for, but it's plainly going to come down to the presentation of the actual evidence and the testimony of witnesses. Schardt's job is to scuff up the credibility of the state and emphasize questions about the monitor.

5:30 PM · Nov 27, 2023

We're done for the day.

5:31 PM · Nov 27, 2023

Defendant Rodalius Ryan aka Lil Rod charged with only 1 count in the #YSL RICO trial. Count 1 Conspiracy to Violate the RICO act involving the murder of Jamari Holmes. Ryan is already serving a life sentence for the 2019 murder of 15-yr-old Jamari Holmes. Ryan was also only 15-yrs-old at the time of the murder. He's 19 yrs old today. Prosecutor Love: "He's one of those people whose life was swallowed up by YSL.."

Defendant Marquavius Huey aka Qua is charged with 19 counts including RICO, armed robbery, aggravated assault w/deadly weapon, possession of firearm during felony, etc...

Generally, I am a huge fan of good trial prosecutors. However, while watching Prosecutor Adriane Love's entire opening statement I had difficulty following what she was saying. I don't know if my ears were sensitive to her oratorical style and vocal tone or if she didn't moderate her voice. I don't know if anyone else had this problem, but for me, that opening was difficult to listen to for such a lengthy period of time. JMO. Having said that Schardt sounds fine and easy to follow.

After lunch, the State was allowed to continue their opening statements where they claimed Young was the leader of the notorious street gang and said it was a subset of the National Bloods gang.

Prosecutors also pushed back against the narrative that rap is on trial, they explained that the evidence from social media and crime scenes show proof of the crimes committed not the lyrics from popular songs.

The defense is set to resume their opening statements Tuesday morning.

November 27, 2023 at 6:29 pm EST

Generally, I am a huge fan of good trial prosecutors. However, while watching Prosecutor Adriane Love's entire opening statement I had difficulty following what she was saying. I don't know if my ears were sensitive to her oratorical style and vocal tone or if she didn't moderate her voice. I don't know if anyone else had this problem, but for me, that opening was difficult to listen to for such a lengthy period of time. JMO. Having said that Schardt sounds fine and easy to follow.
I felt the same when listening to her opening statements. It was hard to stay interested…….and that’s saying something considering how long we’ve been waiting for this trial to start.

WATCH LIVE: Young YSL RICO Trial — GA v. Jeffery Williams et al — Opening Statements Part Three​

Atlanta rapper Young , born Jeffery Williams, faces multiple charges under Georgia's RICO Act. Williams, believed to be the leader of the YSL collective, supposedly operated a "criminal street gang" from outside his residence. Williams faces eight charges in a 65-count indictment. These charges include drug possession, possession with intent to distribute, and participating in criminal gang activity as an individual employed by a criminal street gang. Opening statements will take place on November 27.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024