GA - Rayshard Brooks, 27, fatally shot in Wendy’s car park, Atlanta, 12 Jun 2020 *officer charged*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So criminals are victims only if the arrest goes bad?

So criminals are victims only if the arrest goes bad?

I guess if you want to phrase it *criminals are victims if they are shot dead* due to a tragic event.

And yes, I'm sitting on both side for this one for sure. But it's different than we at WS usually talk about *sitting on the fence*.

It's not that I'm undecided... I am decided.

It's just that I see both sides. I can see why the officer shot..and not get charges.. and I can see why he might have fled once restrained.

That's all.

I definitely see both sides on this one more than most.

I empathize and side with both as to how the tragic event happened.

I guess if you want to phrase it *criminals are victims if they are shot dead* due to a tragic event.

And yes, I'm sitting on both side for this one for sure. But it's different than we at WS usually talk about *sitting on the fence*.

It's just that I see both sides. I can see why the officer shot..and not get charges.. and I can see why he might have fled once restrained.

That's all.

Same. And I do not envy the DA or the other leaders at all, with the 3 pm announcement.

That's all.

So both are victims? Yet one was just doing his job. I agree with the comment earlier, Awful but Lawful.

Frankly at this point I feel the officer is the victim. At the very least he is also a victim.
I am desperately hoping they do NOT file charges. Brooks took this simple DUI/DWI to a level it didn’t need to go to.

I would bet the bank he will be charged. Get ready!!

Everything I've read from the mayor lends to this. Starting with his unjust firing to the COP stepping aside.

Justice will prevail, good lawyers, our LAWS, will insure this Officer is cleared. It may be a long hard process, with pain for all, but justice will prevail!!!

My humble opinion and belief in justice for all.

Last edited:
I wonder why the DA didn’t present this to a grand jury? It’s usually the safest way to go for a prosecutor. He can always point to the jury and say “I didn’t make the decision, they did”.

I think dui is a misdemeanor in Georgia? If so, I dont see why they could not let him walk to his sisters house which he said was a few blocks away and impound his car. He could come to court later and plead his case. The police had the breathalyzer results, so he would be likely convicted of dui.

What the officers realized again and again, is he thought he was in Jonesboro at Old Dixie Highway... which is more than 10 miles from where he was. There is more to this than hasn't come out MOO. See google screenshots.

olddixiehighway.JPG

jonesboro.JPG

Deaths in custody are not just by gun though, as we know. Tasers, chokehold, restrained and died in the back of a police van, deaths in jail etc. I do wonder how much higher than 1.4% when all those deaths are added on.

Statista Research Department, published June 10, 2020

Number of People Killed by Police in the U.S. from 2013 to 2019, by cause of death - all races (reason for death- not justified, justified, car chase, etc. is not included with this information)

Beaten/restrained 15
Other 2
Police Shooting 1032
Taser 55
Vehicle 3

Beaten/restrained 9
other 4
Police Shooting 996
Taser 37
Vehicle 4

Beaten/restrained 11
Other 2
Police Shooting 1032
Taser 55
Vehicle 3

Beaten/restrained 10
Other 2
Police Shooting 1017
Taser 35
Vehicle 7

Beaten/restrained 9
Other 2
Police Shooting 1049
Taser 32
Vehicle 3

Other 2
Police Shooting 1103
Taser 33
Vehicle 5

Beaten/restrained 11
Police Shooting 1054
Taser 25
Vehicle 8

*No data available for people who died due to beating/restraints in 2018,or for other causes of death 2019

Totals 2013 - 2019
Beaten/Restrained 65
Other 14
Police Shooting 7283
Taser 272
Vehicle 33

I wonder why the DA didn’t present this to a grand jury? It’s usually the safest way to go for a prosecutor. He can always point to the jury and say “I didn’t make the decision, they did”.

Grand juries are shut down in Georgia until at least mid-July. That question also came up in Ahmaud Arbery's case:

Judicial emergency order extended another month in Ga.

June 15 was supposed to be the end of the judicial emergency in Georgia that halted jury trials and grand juries over concerns of COVID-19. That is until the Georgia Supreme Court Chief Justice extended the order another month, now in effect into mid-July.

Grand juries are shut down in Georgia until at least mid-July. That question also came up in Ahmaud Arbery's case:

Judicial emergency order extended another month in Ga.

June 15 was supposed to be the end of the judicial emergency in Georgia that halted jury trials and grand juries over concerns of COVID-19. That is until the Georgia Supreme Court Chief Justice extended the order another month, now in effect into mid-July.

Thank you. I had wondered as well.

Deaths in custody are not just by gun though, as we know. Tasers, chokehold, restrained and died in the back of a police van, deaths in jail etc. I do wonder how much higher than 1.4% when all those deaths are added on.

As far as unjustified shootings I think the percentage killed for unjustifiable reasons is even much lower than 1.4% since the 1.4% is in total.

The majority of those shot, and killed by LE of all races were armed with a deadly weapon. Very few each year were unarmed, and even being unarmed doesnt stop a suspect from being deadly dangerous since many victims have been beaten or kicked to death by the assailants. Also suspects have tried to take the officers weapon using it on them like Mike Brown tried to overpower Wilson to take control of his weapon, and wound up bumrushung Wilson still trying to overpower him.

Imo, As far dying in the back of a police van like in Gray's case it was of his own doing thinking if he was injured while in custody he could sue the PD. Iirc, he had used that scam before.

So there again the specific evidence needs to be known in each case.

Jmho

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads