GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam Co, 2 May 2014 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
They are basing the idea that she was not sexually assaulted, because she was found clothed. But a devious perp can put the clothes back on her. Sorry, if a guy's head is cut off, it's not that much of a stretch to consider that the wife was sexually assaulted.
Mrs D. had an autopsy. Certainly the medical examiner knows for certain. But, it seems a bit of a stretch that whoever did this would leave behind "his" dna inside Mrs D. And, imo Mr. D's head was taken because the perps couldn't retrieve the bullet used to kill him.

Mrs D. had an autopsy. Certainly the medical examiner knows for certain. But, it seems a bit of a stretch that whoever did this would leave behind "his" dna inside Mrs D. And, imo Mr. D's head was taken because the perps couldn't retrieve the bullet used to kill him.
Well the DNA could be outside the body. That was how Dennis raider, btk, operated.

Wouldn't it be simpler, faster, cleaner, to simply dispose of the gun? Unless of course the gun was registered and had history of being fired. Hmmm, how could that be?

Does anyone know which direction from the crime scene, on the lake, the body was disposed? Or is there some way to describe where it was disposed?

Also, could they not have figured out where the boat came from? You know, have everybody check their boats and see if it was moved or tampered with? I guess since the murder was discovered a day or two later, I guess the boats wouldn't still be wet. But you know, maybe underneath it could still be wet. Also probably look for the vacant houses nearby, because maybe the boats more likely came from there.

re post cctv
1721225478508.png
'Mr. Dermond’s body was found decapitated on May 6, while Mrs. Dermond’s body was not found until May 16 when an angler fishing several miles downstream near the mouth of Richland Creek discovered her body.'

re post cctv
View attachment 518476
'Mr. Dermond’s body was found decapitated on May 6, while Mrs. Dermond’s body was not found until May 16 when an angler fishing several miles downstream near the mouth of Richland Creek discovered her body.'
Oh thanks, that was a quick answer to my question! That map is very helpful thanks. I'm going to study it now.

Does anyone know which direction from the crime scene, on the lake, the body was disposed? Or is there some way to describe where it was disposed?

Also, could they not have figured out where the boat came from? You know, have everybody check their boats and see if it was moved or tampered with? I guess since the murder was discovered a day or two later, I guess the boats wouldn't still be wet. But you know, maybe underneath it could still be wet. Also probably look for the vacant houses nearby, because maybe the boats more likely came from there.
Whoever did it may also have sunk that boat, or they have it hidden somewhere else.

Wouldn't it be simpler, faster, cleaner, to simply dispose of the gun? Unless of course the gun was registered and had history of being fired. Hmmm, how could that be?
The vast majority of states in the US do not register guns. Georgia does not. As far as a database of fired guns, the only databases that are kept in some LE agencies are samples from guns and cartridges used in crimes. If the gun that was used to kill Mr Dermond was used in another crime, there could be a comparison made with with the fired round.

If a fired bullet extracted was from a body, it would be likely to have an imprint from the lands and grooves in the barrel, along with a measurable diameter. This would identify the caliber in most situations, and narrow down the manufacturer of the gun, and possibly the model. There's no database out there that would link the bullet to a specific gun with a specific serial number, unless the gun was retrieved by LE at some point.

Like bullets made of silver or ice? Pretty far out idea. What if instead, the shooter was using a gun issued for his job, a security guard, military or similar. Now that gun, not easily disposed of....
I looked up bullet making for another issue, and I see it's not that hard to do. You can make many types of homemade bullets, in many ways, and filled with a lot of different fillers and powders. I learned from looking up homemade bullet making, that you can make a bullet in many creative ways. And so for example, if police found a similar bullet in another incident, that could link the two. They would at least know the size of gun he had and if it was a revolver or whatnot.

Last edited:
The vast majority of states in the US do not register guns. Georgia does not. As far as a database of fired guns, the only databases that are kept in some LE agencies are samples from guns and cartridges used in crimes. If the gun that was used to kill Mr Dermond was used in another crime, there could be a comparison made with with the fired round.

If a fired bullet extracted was from a body, it would be likely to have an imprint from the lands and grooves in the barrel, along with a measurable diameter. This would identify the caliber in most situations, and narrow down the manufacturer of the gun, and possibly the model. There's no database out there that would link the bullet to a specific gun with a specific serial number, unless the gun was retrieved by LE at some point.
Yes I agree, it's not like on TV where they find a bullet, and they just look up where the gun came from, and presto the crime is solved. It's not always that easy.

Whoever did it may also have sunk that boat, or they have it hidden somewhere else.
Good point. But if it came from a house nearby, then they would know who was missing a boat. I think he just returned it. It probably came from a vacant house, since those are a lot of second homes there.

Wouldn't anybody kind of remember hearing a boat go by? I mean he did travel miles away. And he made at least two trips. So how come nobody heard this boat?

Wouldn't anybody kind of remember hearing a boat go by? I mean he did travel miles away. And he made at least two trips. So how come nobody heard this boat?
What boat? I've missed where this boat info came from? The police? Please forgive me for missing it!

What boat? I've missed where this boat info came from? The police? Please forgive me for missing it!
You should probably go back and read about the case more, the wife's body was dumped from a boat in the middle of the lake, some distance from the house. So clearly they must have done that from a boat.

For example here's a picture of a bullet, (larger sized pic) and you can see that it's kind of unique, because it seems to be hollow and filled with some kind of small metallic powder. So it looks like it's homemade to me. So if they see another bullet that looks like this, then they know where a matched one comes from.

Attachments

• bull smv.jpg
    bull smv.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads