GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam Co, 2 May 2014 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I understand that, but a more natural progression would be something less extreme IMO. For instance, shooting Russell and/or Shirley execution style then simply leaving them for dead. Additionally, if the murders were second to the robbery, why was nothing taken?

I wonder why the killer(s) didn't set a fire or something as a way to destroy evidence. I also question if the decapitation was an attempt to throw off investigators.

Or, maybe it was entirely personally motivated. Cutting off the head to further demean and dehumanize the victim.

To go from never having killed, to beating an elderly woman to death with a hammer, disposing of her body, and decapitating her husband? Why would a group of experienced burglars with an established pattern of subdueing their victims without lethal force suddenly change course?

The Dermonds were elderly, it's not as though they posed a threat.
I agree. This was not robbery. If it was he would have taken something. He had plenty of time in the house to do it.

So I was reading some of the much earlier posts here. For example one post I saw here, that was on October 11, 2019, post num 215. And I was surprised to learn here, that one of the members of the world famous music band from Georgia, the band R.E.M., had a lot next door, right on the lake next to the Dermonds. From what people wrote there, it seems like he just had a lot there and no house. I'm not sure what was all built on the property, but maybe they had a dock with a boat. That would make sense, if you're on the lake. The guy was of course a member of a very well-known music band, perhaps he had outdoor parties and get-togethers there for people on the lake, either personal and or for people in the music business. And that could be a connection to how somebody noticed the Dermonds, right nearby. I wonder if that house had an electric boat. If somebody went to a party there in the past, and they all got in the boat at some point, then that would be an excuse for their DNA or other genetic material already being in the boat. The post here also mentioned that the REM guy was not there at the time of the murder, and also several other houses nearby were also not occupied that night. So maybe the perp parked next door. And instead of the boat being taken from far away, maybe he got the boat right next door, dumped the body, came back to the same house, and drove off.

Last edited:
''Premieres Aug 9, 2024 #MurderMystery #CriminalInvestigation #GeorgiaCrime
Welcome to Behind The Headlines. In May 2014, the upscale community of Lake Oconee in Georgia was rocked by a horrifying crime. Russell and Shirley Dermond, a beloved couple, vanished without a trace, leaving behind a chilling crime scene. When their friend Peggy Winn discovered Russell’s headless body in the garage and Shirley missing, the investigation into their deaths became one of Georgia’s most perplexing cases.In this detailed video, Joshua John of Behind the Headlines delves into the tragic murder of Russell and Shirley Dermond. We explore the sequence of events leading up to their disappearance, the grisly details of the crime scene, and the ongoing investigation that has puzzled authorities for years. From the brutal nature of Russell's murder to the discovery of Shirley's body in Lake Oconee, we cover every aspect of this baffling case.Join us as we review the initial findings, theories about potential suspects, and recent developments in the case. With new DNA evidence and advanced technology providing fresh hope, the quest for justice continues. If you have any information that could help solve this case, contact the Putnam County Sheriff's Office or the FBI’s Atlanta Field Office.''

So I was reading some older posts from the case here again. I learned a couple things. One was that there was no food left in their stomach, and food takes like 7 hours to digest. And two, is that Shirley's had sustained very strong blows to her head, it created a lot of damage.

So the first item of information tells me, that they were killed probably early in the morning. You know like 7 hours after their dinner time. So let's say they ate early at 5:00 p.m., + 7 hours = 12:00 a.m. So I picture it like, the husband, in his robe, already went to bed, maybe he was reading in his bed. And the wife being dressed, was maybe downstairs watching something late night on TV on the couch, half napping. And I believe she didn't do the crossword puzzle the next day or the paper wasn't picked up, so I think that leaves a pretty good indication of when this happened.

The second piece of information tells me that a very large heavy object was used on Shirley. Not just a little object. You know, not just like the back end of a gun or something. This had to be something a little more substantial. For example, like a crowbar. And I really don't think you can do that on a boat. Unless maybe like she was on the boat and he was like still on the dock, bracing himself.

So I was looking on Google maps some more, trying to see if you could drive over the dam and just drop the body off the side of the dam. But yeah, it does not look like it's the type of dam you can just drive on.

But another thing I learned while looking at Google maps, is there are a few campgrounds right around the dam, where the wife's body was dumped. So that could be where the perp parked and got the boat. Now that might work out for him, because let's say he camped there before and rented some boat there. That would be an explanation for his genetics to be in that boat.

So I could go two ways on this. Either he parked at the campground and got a boat there. Or he parked right next door to the house, and got a boat from very nearby at a vacant house somewhere.

It's also kind of interesting to me reading the old comments, is how many people think this is a hit, or a revenge killing. I doubt it. This sounds to me more like a serial killing, kind of like Dennis Raider. From a serial killer we have operating in the area.

Also was there any info of some keys being left there next to the lamp in the garage? Just wondering.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum