GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In this video at the link,(around the 33 second mark) the reporter mentions that the Dermonds were members of the Lake Oconee Community Church for at least the last seven years.
The reporter mentioned that their pastor said he had just seen the Dermonds with their daughter and grandchildren on Easter Sunday.
http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/local/hancock/2014/05/06/putnam-man-killed-wife-missing/8785833/

Quoting my own post.
I am unclear as to how many children the Dermonds have.
Did they have 4 or 5 children?
Did the pastor mean he saw the Dermonds on Easter with his own daughter and grandchildren or the Dermonds own daughter and grandchildren?
In the post I just posted, post #112, the reporter mentioned that they had a 4th son that was murdered.
I take it then, that they did have 5 children previously??
IMOO.

So it was the same person we read about and the perp is in prison. Wondering if there is any connection? Drugs were involved in the murder.

In this video, around the 2 minute 10 second mark, the reporter mentioned that the Dermonds had a 4th son that was murdered about ten years ago.
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/lake-oconee-man-killed-87-year-old-wife-possibly-k/nfqqR/

Wow! Good find Treelights.

CNN just posted and article and video. It says that investigators are interviewing friends and family including the Dermond's three children who have traveled from other states. Both Russell and Shirley were born in NJ.

The local pastor is quoted in the article saying the Dermond's have three children.

Another piece of information from the CNN video. Russell owned a chain of Wendy's restaurants. Though the article states that tax records tie him to a Wendy's and a Chick-fil-A.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/08/justice/georgia-elderly-man-decapitated-wife-missing/

I believed the Dermonds lived in Sandy Springs back in the early 1990 in a neighborhood called Huntcliff. There son Mark was killed during that time. They had 4 children.

I believed the Dermonds lived in Sandy Springs back in the early 1990 in a neighborhood called Huntcliff. There son Mark was killed during that time. They had 4 children.

IIRC, the "MD" we read about was killed in August 2000.

Wow! Good find Treelights.

CNN just posted and article and video. It says that investigators are interviewing friends and family including the Dermond's three children who have traveled from other states. Both Russell and Shirley were born in NJ.

The local pastor is quoted in the article saying the Dermond's have three children.

Another piece of information from the CNN video. Russell owned a chain of Wendy's restaurants. Though the article states that tax records tie him to a Wendy's and a Chick-fil-A.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/08/justice/georgia-elderly-man-decapitated-wife-missing/

Thanks for this! :)
In the link that you posted, it mentions:

" "Due to the state of the body we were not able to make a positive ID," he said. "However, the body did match the basic physical description of Mr. Dermond." "

Most likely this is Russell, given where he was found......
But I have to say, that in the Shannon Rippy case, LE thought it was Shannon Rippy that was found deceased on the property that she and James Opelton Bradley had worked on previously as they worked for a landscaping company in NC, and LE arrested him.....come to find out, it Isn't Shannon Rippy, but someone else that was deceased there!! Shannon is still missing, with Bradley still arrested for this deceased person and for Missing Shannon. There is a Websleuths thread for Shannon Rippy. So That Case is Strange!!! And this case is strange and unusual as well!!!
IMOO.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/sheriff-significant-trauma-man-killed-ga-23638848

An autopsy was scheduled for Thursday, and Sills said he might be able to provide more details after that.

Investigators fear Dermond's wife, Shirley, 87 was abducted, and they were searching for her Thursday with the help of the FBI.

The couple had been married for nearly seven decades, Sills said.

"The best we can determine from all sources is that this was a perfect marriage," he said. "There's nothing that we have found out so far that looks askance or gives us any particular motive."

They lived in Reynolds Plantation, a gated neighborhood of expansive homes guarded by security officers where crime is rare, Sills said.

"This home is in one of the most exclusive gated communities in the state of Georgia," he said. "I don't remember even a burglary that I can even recall in the whole subdivision."

The home is on the shore of sprawling Lake Oconee in the Greensboro area, and Sills said investigators believe the killer might have arrived by boat.

The sheriff's statement was weird. DUH what is significant with a house being "immaculate".
Though many of the lake properties are gated communities for the very well off, it is set in the most rural of rural areas. (Uncle Remus stories were written in this area...Eatonton, Georgia)

How someone keeps house is deemed very important as to character. To Southerners, that the house was immaculate is important information.

When I first heard of this, my ears pricked up as I had many customers on the lake (including Reynolds Plantation proper and the "Great Waters" development) from my satellite / Home Theater business.

Turns out the Dermonds were not costumers of mine, but the crime is so bizarre that I came here to see if someone started a thread. (I had registered awhile back to keep up with the Casey Anthony affair)

Sho 'nuff, here it is.

Anyway, you can almost (99.95%) bank on the fact that the perpetrators came in by water. When I would service my customers there, you HAD to check in at the 24 hour manned gate. They would stop you, ask where you were going, check a list to see if someone had your name there and call the resident if you were not on the log (and many times, even then). They then assigned you a one day color-coded pass that you stuck so it could be seen under your windshield.

When I heard about the decapitation and possible abduction, my mind reeled. This just makes NO sense for rural Georgia....

....until I learned (here at Websleuth) that they were originally from N.J.

There IS a Dixie Mafia, but this is not their style.

I think this is a "vengeance" hit. Something in the old man's past or the sons.

Keep up the good work, guys....I'll be lurking

Geez this is so horrible. I cannot stop thinking about this case.

There must have been a tremendous amount of blood. So there had to be footprints left behind.

Has LE search the lake? Or around the dock? I do not think this monster took the wife on a boat. I think she is in that lake. The lake looks muddy from the pictures.

I joined here today just because this case grabbed me and won't let go. I live in Atlanta.

Anyhow, I first thought revenge hit, either a deranged family member or someone he testified against who's now out of jail or something, to send some kind of message. But now I wonder, since they say decapitation wasn't the cause of death, maybe he was shot in the head somewhere else and his head removed because with it would go the ballistic evidence as well. ?? Just thinking out loud.

Also noticed they say there are no bullet holes in the walls but don't comment as to whether the body has bullet wounds or not.

http://www.macon.com/2014/05/08/3087453/decapitation-unlikely-cause-of.html

I joined here today just because this case grabbed me and won't let go. I live in Atlanta.

Anyhow, I first thought revenge hit, either a deranged family member or someone he testified against who's now out of jail or something, to send some kind of message. But now I wonder, since they say decapitation wasn't the cause of death, maybe he was shot in the head somewhere else and his head removed because with it would go the ballistic evidence as well. ?? Just thinking out loud.

Also noticed they say there are no bullet holes in the walls but don't comment as to whether the body has bullet wounds or not.

http://www.macon.com/2014/05/08/3087453/decapitation-unlikely-cause-of.html

Welcome Dina!!
And thanks for the article!!

From WSB - Atlanta:
Many of you are closely following the murder and possible kidnapping of an elderly couple at a home on Lake Oconoee.
The sheriff is about to give a news conference with new information. Click here to watch it live: www.wsbtv.com/live

This is a horrific story.Beheadings always are though aren't they?

I hope this isn't yet another case of a relative doing this.

Keep us informed Ocean. :)

Horrendous! When I started reading an article and got to the word "beheaded" I scrolled back up to see what country this happened in.

I have been watching the show Cold Justice. First things they focus on are:

Who would gain? Motive?
Unbelievable anger towards this couple.

Mr. Dermond walked around the neighborhood a lot. Was there a neighborhood dispute about something? Reminds me of the case in Australia where a young son of a neighbor across the street murdered the couple after a dispute over barking dogs.

Can anyone gain access to the lake? Police think access was from the lake.
They appeared to be wealthy. I have seen conflicting reports about the value of their property. One said million dollar homes but I saw appraisals in the upper $200,000s.

I can't imagine what they went through and most likely Mrs. Dermond was aware of what they were doing to her husband. And the poor neighbors that found him! This case needs to be solved quickly!

While waiting for the press conference, I found this interesting:

"The Dermonds’ three children arrived from out-of-state Wednesday and helped rule out that their father was tortured, something investigators suspected due to the condition of one of his fingers, Sills said.

Relatives said the deformity was the result of a very old injury.

Investigators are interviewing as many people as they can, but so far there is nothing to lead them to Shirley Dermond."

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2014/05/08/3087453/decapitation-unlikely-cause-of.html#storylink=cpy

Confirmation of his head was decapitated, and they still don't where where Shirley is, as per press conference.

Trying to locate all surveillance video footage from stores and anywhere in the county.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faithfülly