GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My grandfather stopped playing golf at 90 years old. He had 1 knee replacement at 87 and they told him he would need a second knee replacement to continue. He decided that at 90 he would just hang up golf instead of have another knee replacement. His doctor told him that his knee at just walked too many miles.

He fought in the Battle of the Bulge so tough guy like RD but at that age it seems your body just isn’t meant for sports anymore.

I’m guessing the reason RD stopped playing golf was because it hurt too much (arthritis ), nothing more, nothing less.

IMHO

I wonder at what time the lawn men heard the voices? Most don't come before 9am so as to not disturb neighbors. If the D's were dead before breakfast Saturday morning, then whose loud voices were heard by the lawn men on Saturday? Inside the house or the garage? Assuming it was a male voice/s. More than one if they were arguing or one angry person yelling to himself or the victim? (Look what you made me do type thing.)
I just saw this post, I was searching for the early articles about the loud voices inside the Dermonds house, Ok so to clarify, IF THIS WAS TRUE that voices or loud voices were heard, I think it later turned into, "LOUD voices" but maybe they werent' yet DEAD but being held captive, it's clear their stomachs were empty, didn't make the derby party so something was going on that morning and day it seems

Left to ponder yet again on this most perplexing double murder fraught with inexplicable intricacies and far too many moving parts. Why so convoluted a scheme? The one (of many) points I keep coming back to is where did RD get killed? That has yet to be established but I think it to have been off property, just like SD. Could it have been the mobile crime scene (the boat) ? I lean in that direction and think each was killed in the boat around the same time. I also think the murders to have taken place in the boat before it left to dispose of SD's body, allowing for enough time to drag RD's body back up to the house and into the garage where the post mortem decapitation occurred. I also think some sort of towel or sack was wrapped around what had to be a bleeding head wound. In the meantime some of the murderers (there had to be multiple) were preparing SD's body for a watery grave. After the decapitation the crew reconvened and left the dock as one to dispose of SD's body.

Left to ponder yet again on this most perplexing double murder fraught with inexplicable intricacies and far too many moving parts. Why so convoluted a scheme? The one (of many) points I keep coming back to is where did RD get killed? That has yet to be established but I think it to have been off property, just like SD. Could it have been the mobile crime scene (the boat) ? I lean in that direction and think each was killed in the boat around the same time. I also think the murders to have taken place in the boat before it left to dispose of SD's body, allowing for enough time to drag RD's body back up to the house and into the garage where the post mortem decapitation occurred. I also think some sort of towel or sack was wrapped around what had to be a bleeding head wound. In the meantime some of the murderers (there had to be multiple) were preparing SD's body for a watery grave. After the decapitation the crew reconvened and left the dock as one to dispose of SD's body.
But why bring him back to behead him? They could have done that on the boat too, at night.

Does anyone know why RD stopped golfing years prior to his murder? It seems it was something he very much enjoyed, was said to be an avid golfer, and that he golfed with his son and his neighbor.. why would he stop? Just curious.

It could be the cost of belonging to the club plus monthly dues just for golf became cost prohibitive. I also still wonder if there were issues re money or lack thereof.

It could be the cost of belonging to the club plus monthly dues just for golf became cost prohibitive. I also still wonder if there were issues re money or lack thereof.

We pay yearly dues at our local golf course (VERY nice one). It is not cheap. It is so good for your health (the exercise and fresh air). RD looked very healthy in the recent video. We'll never know why he quit golfing. Most golfers I have known don't quit til they're bedfast, practically.

Last edited:

Wouldn't there have been evidence (drag marks, disturbed landscaping, soil, etc.), if he had been dragged back up to the house? He was still in his bathrobe, house slippers, sleeping clothes, etc., if I recall. I can't imagine the terror of their last moments on this earth!!!

Wouldn't there have been evidence (drag marks, disturbed landscaping, soil, etc.), if he had been dragged back up to the house? He was still in his bathrobe, house slippers, sleeping clothes, etc., if I recall. I can't imagine the terror of their last moments on this earth!!!
HAD TO be AWFUL! Yes, I think he was too heavy to carry, limp dead body and he had gained some weight it appeared, since that license pic was taken, according to other pics and Publix video...…..surely there could have been drag marks, if they would stay visible for 4 days in the lawn or straw, I don't think it would have cut the grass up though dragging across the grass and I doubt they'd have dragged anything directly across the open yard even at night, just kind of seems vulnerable but who knows...………..no one saw a thing however it was done

Makes a lot of sense that they could have been killed on the boat though since no evidence of a murder was allegedly found at the home....He could have had a bag over his head in the garage at some point and bludgenoned like SD, to prevent splatter..............they already had a mesh camping or laundry bag............WHOA, maybe that was the D's too come to think of it, in the laundry room where they possible picked up the towels to clean up and dam the blood flow, which further indicates the beheading was not planned

I just think he was too heavy and the beheading was an afterthought, due to the location so close to garage door and blood running out under it almost, that they had to try to clean it up , otherwise, they'd have planned it better and known how much blood would leak out afterwards

WOW just saying that makes me think that they Did NOT want SD found, they just didn't know the body would surface, as was first speculated, but like they didnt know how much blood was gonna run out of the body...…...since they seemed to be rushing and not prepared for the cleanup either, they weren't prepared enough for her body to stay submerged

At any rate, the only DNA on scene is any and all family I suppose and the neighbors who found them

Last edited:
I remember when this crime first happened, there was speculation that SD might have had something to do with it since she just disappeared. I guess they couldn't rule her out at the time. But, how and why would an 86 year old woman behead her own husband? Not even possible to contemplate at the time for me. I thought she might have been kidnapped. Does make you wonder what the evil monsters wanted everyone to think. Almost like some sick game with them...then and now.

I remember when this crime first happened, there was speculation that SD might have had something to do with it since she just disappeared. I guess they couldn't rule her out at the time. But, how and why would an 86 year old woman behead her own husband? Not even possible to contemplate at the time for me. I thought she might have been kidnapped. Does make you wonder what the evil monsters wanted everyone to think. Almost like some sick game with them...then and now.
Yeah I remember that, I am not sure SS knew their ages at the time...……...had they been some younger it would have been quite possible though! Crazies all over, not just divorcing these days, their killing their spouses nowadays......SICK

I think for sure they wanted everyone confused and they did NOT want to be caught...... but I think they confused themselves some too LOL...left floundering a bit with the beheading......not sure if SD submersion was planned or not initially, maybe they were going to take them both off IDK…...I'll be glad when the sobs are caught, if related, especially, they need the death penalty!

Levi is posting often about other cases as well

Said they would possibly continue podcast

They tried to
reach out to family, but got no response. Would be nice to hear from them he said

I saw somewhere Tricia had another more pressing and recent podcast???
Did not anyone else hear or see that posted somewhere?

Glad to hear Levi and Tricia are doing well! I was under the assumption, there were to be additional episodes of the podcast. Maybe I was wrong. Why oh why wouldn’t the family members agree to speak about their parents/grandparents? I understand we are all different, but if it were me, I would be very visible, and working tirelessly to find the perps.

IMHO

Interestingly they didn't stay for vigil, were in town but home by 11th accirding to an article, were notified on the 6th evening or 7 th latest, arrived 7th or 8th, were gone by 10th but defibitely home by 11t.....were in town a max of 3 or 4 days,none have made a public plea for their parents until 4 yrs later, kd had a satisfied lean by 2015/16......had a private family ceremony.....probably more I've missed besides KDunusual statements and none said how much they loved their parents,l in statements, BD in interview didn't answer NO to the question by REPORTER WHEN ASKED IF THE FAMILY HAD ANYThing TO do WITH it, he only talked long trying to convince her they were miles away....yet quickly answered NO to the mob question showing truthfulness......the long answer is a big deal showing deceit in statement analysis....now this.....WHY DIS THEY NOT RESPOND
Glad to hear Levi and Tricia are doing well! I was under the assumption, there were to be additional episodes of the podcast. Maybe I was wrong. Why oh why wouldn’t the family members agree to speak about their parents/grandparents? I understand we are all different, but if it were me, I would be very visible, and working tirelessly to find the perps.

IMHO

Duh, i forgot .. how wise of them..., can't evem exhumed bodies, surely cremated as I had even suggested before .....a presumption since the bodies were in such bad condition.....so this investigation is indeed .....OVER

Unless SS can find a reason to investigate more and other finances
Philip Holloway said...…….just because someone has Gunshot residue on their collar, doesnt me they were shot

which is something I feel is important too btw...…..why I wondered if RD was hit hard with the butt of gun or something or someone had GSR on themselves and transferred it...…..

SS and FBI also say that a professional wouldn't come in and shoot you and then haul her off and then decapitate him. A Professional wouldn't even decapitate...…...I always thought big drug cartel or mafia did that in years past

We don't know if SD had any GSR on her because the water washed away any if there

Also looking at this article:5 years later, sheriff still agonizes over brutal cold case murders

Reiterating, SS doesn't think it was a professional...…..so with no unusual prints, that we know of, or none that come up on the database yet, is someone unprofessional, close to the family as SS has stated they were atleast acquainted with the perps

If no unusual prints were found, whose does he have with all that dusting in the house they did that he says "changed the house to a different color" LOL.....or some such

.….so he waits, waits for someone who knows to call or someone to slip up

I do agree it would be nice but I hope he did all he could have done in gathering evidence,

I thought the home was released pretty quickly , tho SS stated otherwise, also the autos released, everything now, the only thing left he could do would be to exhume bodies if necessary

Or compare prints with any new crimes and as SS stated, he's not solved but 1 crime with prints in all his years in LE, but of course, nothing ever crossed his way like this one

from article: 5 years later, sheriff still agonizes over brutal cold case murders

AT FIRST, the murders appeared to be the work of professionals; Sills said he INITIALLY assumed the beheading was meant to send a message. But the FBI couldn’t find any connections to the Dermonds in any of their investigations. The couple had no known enemies.

And besides, would seasoned killers take the risk of transporting Shirley Dermond’s body — which they clearly didn’t want discovered — on a public lake, then weigh it down with just a pair of 30-pound cinder blocks?

Professionals likely would not expend the time it takes to decapitate, Sills said. “They shoot you in the head and leave,” he said. Russell Dermond was most likely shot — gun residue on his collar indicates that — but the sheriff believes his head was removed because the killers knew the bullet could be traced. The head has yet to be found.

She now hosts Sword and Scale because of an issue with the old host.
My comment was a 3 week old comment to me i just saw th other day, about Levi hope for podcast to continue. Maybe they still hope lol..idk... I guess the family not responding to requests to talk on it wasn't good for podcast either, idk...don't know who else they were going to interview.....too bad problems with host

Don't know where this will land.
Has anyone gotten a handle on their daily routine? Did it change on weekends? I know mine does.

When he takes his walk on the golf course, is it daily? How does he get to the golf course (drive, walk down the road or cut through a lot)?Does he come back and take a shower or take one before his walk? Or does he take one at night? If he came back and took a shower, I could see him putting on his robe before dressing for the horse race derby.

Do they normally eat breakfast first thing or after his walk. Was she dressed in street clothes or party ones? Had the dish they were to take to the party already prepared or did she need to make it before getting ready?

Obituary has Russell and Shirkey Dermond with Williams funeral home buried at eatonton memorial park.....after contacting the cemetery for marker # at eatontin memorial, they could not be found so i called Williams funersl home and crematory and he said he dies not show a burial but that they were cremated......

Don't know where this will land.
Has anyone gotten a handle on their daily routine? Did it change on weekends? I know mine does.

When he takes his walk on the golf course, is it daily? How does he get to the golf course (drive, walk down the road or cut through a lot)?Does he come back and take a shower or take one before his walk? Or does he take one at night? If he came back and took a shower, I could see him putting on his robe before dressing for the horse race derby.

Do they normally eat breakfast first thing or after his walk. Was she dressed in street clothes or party ones? Had the dish they were to take to the party already prepared or did she need to make it before getting ready?
Good point. I think we have been assuming (I know I have) that it must have been early or late, based on him being in his robe.. but yes, what if he was in the process of getting ready for the party with friends. That could potentially explain a few things, such as his clothes still being (were they on a chair or something?) in the bedroom, and Shirley already being dressed. Also, the empty stomachs. Even if he didn't have a walk yet, or at all, on the day of the murders, lots of people shower before they get ready to go out. S may have gotten herself ready first? Or R may have been getting ready first, with S to follow sometime later.

Obituary has Russell and Shirkey Dermond with Williams funeral home buried at eatonton memorial park.....after contacting the cemetery for marker # at eatontin memorial, they could not be found so i called Williams funersl home and crematory and he said he dies not show a burial but that they were cremated......
Where are you seeing they were buried at Eatonton Memorial Park?

Shirley's obit:
https://www.williamsfuneralhome.net/obituaries/Shirley-Dermond/#!/Obituary

Obituary for Mrs. Shirley Dermond
Mrs. Shirley Dermond
July 7, 1926 - May 6, 2014

Mrs. Shirley Wilcox Dermond, Age 87, of Eatonton, passed away.

Funeral Services will be Private.

Mrs. Dermond was a native of Maywood, New Jersey; lived in Atlanta for many years before moving to Lake Oconee. She was the daughter of the late Alan Wilcox and the late Phyllis Bell Wilcox. She was the widow of the late Russell Joseph Dermond. Mrs. Dermond was a member of Oconee Community Church. She loved crossword puzzles, gardening and was an avid Bridge player.

Survivors include her Daughter Leslie D. (James) Patton of Ashville, NC, two Sons Keith (Kathleen) Dermond of Jacksonville, Fla., Bradley (Erin) Dermond of Santa Rosa Beach, Fla., and 9 Grandchildren.
======================
Russell's obit:
https://www.williamsfuneralhome.net/obituaries/Russell-Dermond/#!/Obituary

Obituary for Russell J. Dermond

Russell J. Dermond
June 6, 1925 - May 6, 2014

Funeral Services for Mr. Russell J. Dermond, age 88, will be private.

Mr. Dermond was a native of Hackensack, New Jersey, had made his home in Atlanta and retired to the Lake Oconee area. He was the son of the late Russell Charles Dermond and the late Margaret Tedesco Dermond. He loved golf, reading, walking, and enjoyed spending time with his family and friends. Mr. Dermond was a veteran of the United States Navy, serving his country in World War II and a member of Oconee Community Church.

He is survived by his wife of 68 years, Shirley Wilcox Dermond of Lake Oconee; sons Keith (Kathleen) Dermond of Jacksonville, FL, Bradley (Erin) Dermond of Santa Rosa Beach, FL; daughter Leslie (James) Patton of Ashville, NC; and 9 grandchildren.

Williams Funeral Home of Eatonton has charge of arrangements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Henry Cooper