GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point. I think we have been assuming (I know I have) that it must have been early or late, based on him being in his robe.. but yes, what if he was in the process of getting ready for the party with friends. That could potentially explain a few things, such as his clothes still being (were they on a chair or something?) in the bedroom, and Shirley already being dressed. Also, the empty stomachs. Even if he didn't have a walk yet, or at all, on the day of the murders, lots of people shower before they get ready to go out. S may have gotten herself ready first? Or R may have been getting ready first, with S to follow sometime later.

I’ve always thought it was early in the morning. Are you thinking the same thing?

Shirley's obit:
https://www.williamsfuneralhome.net/obituaries/Shirley-Dermond/#!/Obituary

Obituary for Mrs. Shirley Dermond
Mrs. Shirley Dermond
July 7, 1926 - May 6, 2014

Mrs. Shirley Wilcox Dermond, Age 87, of Eatonton, passed away.

Funeral Services will be Private.

Mrs. Dermond was a native of Maywood, New Jersey; lived in Atlanta for many years before moving to Lake Oconee. She was the daughter of the late Alan Wilcox and the late Phyllis Bell Wilcox. She was the widow of the late Russell Joseph Dermond. Mrs. Dermond was a member of Oconee Community Church. She loved crossword puzzles, gardening and was an avid Bridge player.

Survivors include her Daughter Leslie D. (James) Patton of Ashville, NC, two Sons Keith (Kathleen) Dermond of Jacksonville, Fla., Bradley (Erin) Dermond of Santa Rosa Beach, Fla., and 9 Grandchildren.
======================
Russell's obit:
https://www.williamsfuneralhome.net/obituaries/Russell-Dermond/#!/Obituary

Obituary for Russell J. Dermond

Russell J. Dermond
June 6, 1925 - May 6, 2014

Funeral Services for Mr. Russell J. Dermond, age 88, will be private.

Mr. Dermond was a native of Hackensack, New Jersey, had made his home in Atlanta and retired to the Lake Oconee area. He was the son of the late Russell Charles Dermond and the late Margaret Tedesco Dermond. He loved golf, reading, walking, and enjoyed spending time with his family and friends. Mr. Dermond was a veteran of the United States Navy, serving his country in World War II and a member of Oconee Community Church.

He is survived by his wife of 68 years, Shirley Wilcox Dermond of Lake Oconee; sons Keith (Kathleen) Dermond of Jacksonville, FL, Bradley (Erin) Dermond of Santa Rosa Beach, FL; daughter Leslie (James) Patton of Ashville, NC; and 9 grandchildren.

Williams Funeral Home of Eatonton has charge of arrangements.

I just had a shiver up my spine! Shirley was the widow of Russell and Russell was survived by Shirley!!! What??? Who knew this? Who wrote this? Obits are typically written by family members.

Obituary shows Russell and Shirley Dermond with Williams funeral home buried at eatonton memorial park.....after contacting the cemetery for marker # at eatonton memorial, they could not be found so I called Williams funeral home and crematory and he said he does not show a burial but that they were cremated......
sorry, typos corrected here, I was on my phone earlier

Russell Joseph Dermond (1925-2014) - Find A Grave...

Russell Joseph Dermond

BIRTH 6 Jun 1925
Hackensack, Bergen County, New Jersey, USA
DEATH 6 May 2014 (aged 88)
Putnam County, Georgia, USA
BURIAL
Eatonton Memorial Park............(NO BURIAL, CREMATED PER WILLIAMS FUNERAL HOME)
Eatonton, Putnam County, Georgia, USA
MEMORIAL ID 129350580 · View Source

SUGGEST EDITS
Shirley's obit:
https://www.williamsfuneralhome.net/obituaries/Shirley-Dermond/#!/Obituary

Obituary for Mrs. Shirley Dermond
Mrs. Shirley Dermond
July 7, 1926 - May 6, 2014

Mrs. Shirley Wilcox Dermond, Age 87, of Eatonton, passed away.

Funeral Services will be Private.

Mrs. Dermond was a native of Maywood, New Jersey; lived in Atlanta for many years before moving to Lake Oconee. She was the daughter of the late Alan Wilcox and the late Phyllis Bell Wilcox. She was the widow of the late Russell Joseph Dermond. Mrs. Dermond was a member of Oconee Community Church. She loved crossword puzzles, gardening and was an avid Bridge player.

Survivors include her Daughter Leslie D. (James) Patton of Ashville, NC, two Sons Keith (Kathleen) Dermond of Jacksonville, Fla., Bradley (Erin) Dermond of Santa Rosa Beach, Fla., and 9 Grandchildren.
======================
Russell's obit:
https://www.williamsfuneralhome.net/obituaries/Russell-Dermond/#!/Obituary

Obituary for Russell J. Dermond

Russell J. Dermond
June 6, 1925 - May 6, 2014

Funeral Services for Mr. Russell J. Dermond, age 88, will be private.

Mr. Dermond was a native of Hackensack, New Jersey, had made his home in Atlanta and retired to the Lake Oconee area. He was the son of the late Russell Charles Dermond and the late Margaret Tedesco Dermond. He loved golf, reading, walking, and enjoyed spending time with his family and friends. Mr. Dermond was a veteran of the United States Navy, serving his country in World War II and a member of Oconee Community Church.

He is survived by his wife of 68 years, Shirley Wilcox Dermond of Lake Oconee; sons Keith (Kathleen) Dermond of Jacksonville, FL, Bradley (Erin) Dermond of Santa Rosa Beach, FL; daughter Leslie (James) Patton of Ashville, NC; and 9 grandchildren.

Williams Funeral Home of Eatonton has charge of arrangements.

Good point. I think we have been assuming (I know I have) that it must have been early or late, based on him being in his robe.. but yes, what if he was in the process of getting ready for the party with friends. That could potentially explain a few things, such as his clothes still being (were they on a chair or something?) in the bedroom, and Shirley already being dressed. Also, the empty stomachs. Even if he didn't have a walk yet, or at all, on the day of the murders, lots of people shower before they get ready to go out. S may have gotten herself ready first? Or R may have been getting ready first, with S to follow sometime later.
Don't know where this will land.
Has anyone gotten a handle on their daily routine? Did it change on weekends? I know mine does.

When he takes his walk on the golf course, is it daily? How does he get to the golf course (drive, walk down the road or cut through a lot)?Does he come back and take a shower or take one before his walk? Or does he take one at night? If he came back and took a shower, I could see him putting on his robe before dressing for the horse race derby.

Do they normally eat breakfast first thing or after his walk. Was she dressed in street clothes or party ones? Had the dish they were to take to the party already prepared or did she need to make it before getting ready?

Russell Dermond, as stated in an article, was a person that would lounge in his Robe if he had no engagements for the day

SO it was pretty common for him

Most of the links are broken now about alot of this stuff

Did he walk on a DAILY schedule? Weekends? Maybe he didnt walk that day since the party was that day and he was in robe, the bed was still unmade but not sure their habits there either

We do know their stomachs were empty, 6-8 hours to digest, so that would seem as if it put the murders in teh middle of the night or before breakfast saturday, might be munching throughout the day before dinner.......

As far as golf course, at the beginning of his street, I do believe the golf course was on the other side of road, looking at it if he were driving up to his stop sign at Carolyn

I remember you asking about the cucumber sandwiches, is that what they were taking to the party, but it was never told if they had been prepared, would be telling information

SHirley was known to be an early riser

I just had a shiver up my spine! Shirley was the widow of Russell and Russell was survived by Shirley!!! What??? Who knew this? Who wrote this? Obits are typically written by family members.
MY gosh, I've read those several times before and never noticed that!

AND WOW...........you know those are VERY SHORT obituaries too, seem very impersonal......How sad

Last edited:

I read everything I could get my hands on and listened to everything I could hear, and it seems to me that SD was dressed in rather casual clothes (I got the impression she would not have been dressed for a derby party....though I don't know what they might actually wear...to a derby party). You know how one forms a picture as you read something or hear someone describing something. I pictured her in casual slacks, blouse (perhaps sweater) and tennis shoes. I do know she was fully clothed and even her shoes were still on and TIED.

MY gosh, I've read those several times before and never noticed that!

AND WOW...........you know those are VERY SHORT obituaries too, seem very impersonal......How sad

I sure agree about how impersonal everything regarding this case seems. The neighbors who found them have shown more emotion than anyone (other than SS). MOO

The only reason I can come up with concerning the wording is that SD's body was found about 10 days after RD's was discovered. Hence, he was survived by her. But, who knows!

The only reason I can come up with concerning the wording is that SD's body was found about 10 days after RD's was discovered. Hence, he was survived by her. But, who knows!

Yes, that is true, BUT, how strange to say that in a parent’s obituary. I think I would have said something to the effect of “these two precious people were viciously murdered.” The obituary sounds like they died of natural causes. There is a huge disconnect here.

IMHO

Yes, that is true, BUT, how strange to say that in a parent’s obituary. I think I would have said something to the effect of “these two precious people were viciously murdered.” The obituary sounds like they died of natural causes. There is a huge disconnect here.

IMHO

They never talk about the cause of death in an obituary if it’s murder or drug overdose related. I won’t say never but rarely.

I think if the cucumber sandwiches had already been prepared to take to the party, SS would have mentioned that fact. Was it ever stated by the hosts of the party that the Ds were bringing cucumber sandwiches, or are we assuming that, based on RD's purchase of cucs? Just wondering because I've never seen that in an article anywhere, only here, but as mentioned, many links are now broken.

I think it would be totally off, to think that SD would have an unmade bed all day long, given how pristine the house has been described, and also, RD's clothes lying out on a chair or whatever. So unless one or the other or both had a nap later on, or wasn't feeling well, it seems to suggest morning. As do the not-yet-made cucumber sandwiches, and the bathrobe, and the empty stomachs.

I sure agree about how impersonal everything regarding this case seems. The neighbors who found them have shown more emotion than anyone (other than SS). MOO
Your right! THey did

As far as SD clothes, she was in casual everyday clothes, like you said, it seems there was mention of her not being dressed up like for a derby party or maybe thats my imagination too, like you said, how your remember something, but I do know it was casual attire....... ready for the day IIRC

I think if the cucumber sandwiches had already been prepared to take to the party, SS would have mentioned that fact. Was it ever stated by the hosts of the party that the Ds were bringing cucumber sandwiches, or are we assuming that, based on RD's purchase of cucs? Just wondering because I've never seen that in an article anywhere, only here, but as mentioned, many links are now broken.

I think it would be totally off, to think that SD would have an unmade bed all day long, given how pristine the house has been described, and also, RD's clothes lying out on a chair or whatever. So unless one or the other or both had a nap later on, or wasn't feeling well, it seems to suggest morning. As do the not-yet-made cucumber sandwiches, and the bathrobe, and the empty stomachs.

Thats been discussed way back, but one reason i said the murders happened early, empty stomachs, the bed was unmade, her normal routine was to rise early, her puzzle was finished that arrived fri evening, her normal routine was mornings I think was told but the saturdya paper arrives fri afternoon, somehow I Have 3 pm stuck in my head,

RD would lounge in his robe if nothing scheduled for the day, so I can see him doing this up until time to ready for the derby party , SS mentioned it looked as if they'd just risen for their first cup of coffee, so it seems there were no dirty dinner dishes or pots out, but maybe coffee was in the pot or coffee cups out..............come to think of it, sounds kind of like they didnt get that first cup of coffee with empty stomachs

SS is holding back info, so we cant assume he would tell about cucumbers, he didnt tell their stomachs were empty, we had to find that in the autopsy, so I wonder had they prepared sandwiches for themselves with the cucumbers or the party, do we think maybe theyd have tasted a cucumber and maybe had remains in the stomach, atleast one of them...........were the cucumbers still in fridge or did they have that for lunch on friday? We know SD worked fridays puzzle so we can safely assume it all went down AFTER that and their stomachs were empty so they never got breakfast..............maybe not supper,

for it to work out as friday evening, the thing that would make it work out is that it was still after the puzzle was worked and they missed dinner.........

older people I know tend to eat dinner at 4-5 pm but that doesnt mean they do......but if they did, the perps would have had to arrive before they ate at 4-5 pm and assume they had a very early lunch or none, remember it takes 6-8 hours for food to digest, unless maybe they had only ensure lol......liquids may digest faster..........do they eat brunch and skip lunch? She rises early so we've been told by family, so I doubt it

AND SS said it appeared as theyd just risen for their first cup of coffee............no dinner pans or plates out apparently nothing said they'd just ate dinner

just some thoughts

Yes, that is of particular interest to me as well.

ETA: I'm sayin.. 'huge' particular interest to me.
I can see it reading that she survived HIM, because they didnt know when she died particularly.......maybe its just a routine statement..........

MAYBE the family didnt respond any more from out of town for to the funeral home after they gave the initial information, seems to be their forte'...........UNINTERESTED..........they told what they did and didnt want to be bothered further so the funeral home did it for them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member