GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
:seeya:
are there any long cylindrical type objects that might live on a boat? A tool of some sort? I am thinking it is not uncommon for folks to have a crowbar type item in their garage but it is also common for golf clubs to reside in garages, especially in a golf community. But I cannot discount the possibility that the weapon was never a part of the household and came with the perp on their boat. So I am wondering what type of object that might be if the weapon did come from the boat as a matter of need convenience to be used to attack the Dermonds.

There is a long, round metal pole we kept on our pontoon to hook to the pier when we were docking.

But it was about 10 feet long and not all that heavy. Probably hollow. Shiney aluminum with a hook on the end!

It would not make a good weapon too light weight and too long.

Just thinking of our fish bonker we bought in Texas. Shaped like a baseball bat and used to boink big fish as they are pulled from the water!

honeybun 1807 said "We also had several paddleboats one with pontoons and a couple flat ones. You peddle them."

Bootsctr! RUN!!!!!

:floorlaugh:

Sorry honeybun and tomkat, inside joke from another case where pigs and paddle (peddle) boats somehow became a dominant topic. Bootsctr mentioned last night if paddle boats came up on this case she was outta here :D

hahaha!! Gotcha! :floorlaugh:

thanks honeybun. I could not recall the pike pole type thingy you described but was also thinking those I have seen are too lightweight to have been wielded as we think teh weapon was.

Good thinking on the fish club I had forgotten I have seen those before. I think that might be too blunt if as speculated the ME has given LE a reason to look for crowbar type implement. But those clubs do make for very handy weapons to inflict BFT.

Wish we had a better idea if LE was specifically looking for crowbar type tool or if that was one possible weapon and the reporters ran with it as the most easily identifiable object for their readers. KWIM?

:seeya:

There is a long, round metal pole we kept on our pontoon to hook to the pier when we were docking.

But it was about 10 feet long and not all that heavy. Probably hollow. Shiney aluminum with a hook on the end!

It would not make a good weapon too light weight and too long.

Just thinking of our fish bonker we bought in Texas. Shaped like a baseball bat and used to boink big fish as they are pulled from the water!

My cousins, who were avid fishermen, carried a baseball bat on the boat and it was for that very purpose. jmo

OT, but trying to decide between two movies. Gravity or Devil's Knot. Any suggestions from anyone who has seen these? ty

I really can't think of anything on our boats that is long and heavy like a crow bar. Paddles/oars are light weight and if wood there would be evidence of that in the wounds I would think. Other than that, most stuff you take/have on a boat is meant to float or not sink fast in case you drop it overboard- which happens quite often in our family. Jmo.

Blunt force trauma could be someone's fists ....does have to be an inanimate obje

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

True but since the LE mentioned crow bar, thinking that was their first thought but who knows!

OT, but trying to decide between two movies. Gravity or Devil's Knot. Any suggestions from anyone who has seen these? ty

Haven't seen Devils Knot, but if you pick Gravity be prepared for a lot of heavy breathing. At least it felt like 75% of the movie was Sandra bullock breathing, moaning.jmo

Yeah now we DO have a peddle boat, had it for years, that and kayaks are like motorcycles,well, slower but you can enjoy the surroundings better in those

yeah so now to figure out WHERE the beheading took place

would it be too risky to have done it in the house next door or wherever that was vacant? IDK, just throwing stuff out there, still wonder about that realtor

I can't help thinking about all the movement this killer made in perhaps a short amount of time.

IF he took MrD from his home to behead him was a vehicle used?

Was it the D's vehicle or the killers?

Did he also take Mrs D?

Did they go out the manned gate?

Return through same manned gate?

Since both of the D's vehicles were said to be out on the driveway did the killer park behind them and carry Mr D, s dead body back and forth?

How long does it take to round up two old people, transport them, behead one, return them one headless.

Then transport Mrs D to the location she was found in.

That takes somebody young and strong or several people IMO!

Interesting read about the case.

Ga. killings 'a crime that can be solved,' former FBI profiler says

http://www.arcamax.com/currentnews/newsheadlines/s-1524806?fs

According to the article:

While hard evidence, and firm conclusions, remain elusive, former FBI profiler Clint Van Zandt said there is good reason to believe the killers -- at least two or three, he said, a conviction Sills shares -- will be captured.

At least two or three killers? I don't know what to think. Nothing taken from the house -- just doesn't make sense why at least 2 perps would do this. I thought it was interesting too that LE stresses that the killers seemed to be trying to send a message. Is it possible that Mr. D's headless body was left to send a strong message to someone and took Mrs. D with the intention of making someone do what they wanted in the hopes that she would be brought back alive? Hope this makes sense. They wouldn't have to make a ransom demand because they would be communicating this way. Except everyone would know that Mrs. D would be able to identify them if she were returned alive. I don't know. Also, I wonder if Mrs. D was wearing her wedding rings when found; in other words it doesn't seem this was necessarily for money.

Haven't seen Devils Knot, but if you pick Gravity be prepared for a lot of heavy breathing. At least it felt like 75% of the movie was Sandra bullock breathing, moaning.jmo

Devil's Knot is a docudrama about a West Memphis town where 3 teenagers are arrested for the murders of three little boys. Not sure if I can handle that after being on this case. jmo

"A lot of fish are starting to show up on the deeper brush piles and trees. Use your Lowrance structure scan to locate the fish in the tree tops and drop a live minnow to them."

http://www.southernfishing.com/current-fishing-report/lake-oconee-fishing-report.html

So I am wondering did he place her there for the fish to eat her and hasten decomposition. Was it so a crappie fisherman/ angler would see her and she could be buried properl
Or, was was his plan to place her there we here he knew she would be deeper than the depth the crappie are at right now.
Was it also to protect her from getting run over by a boat when she resurfaced?
Could this killer have killed her yet still feel the need to protect her?
Just a thought running in my head. Moo

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Could the killer have placed her there as a resting spot, one where he could return to "visit" her?

Is GBI or the FBI looking at transfer DNA/DNA on the body/clothing of RD? I would imagine LE has a good idea about the method used to behead RD.

I'm pretty sure they are, if not, they need to watch "Foresnic Files". Probably swabbing Mr. D, whole body for DNA. Mrs. D's too, but probably being in the water degraded any dna, evidence.

IMO, I don't think this is a major hitman style, mafia style hit. Don't they just go in and kill and leave? I think this may a been a hired hit, but not by a high priced hitman. Make crime appear to be something it's not, confuse, calculated, but IMO not a high priced hit man. Whoever it was went to alot of trouble to "arrange' this scene. It's local, but why?????????

Would a nobody off the streets do all this? No.IMO

I really can't think of anything on our boats that is long and heavy like a crow bar. Paddles/oars are light weight and if wood there would be evidence of that in the wounds I would think. Other than that, most stuff you take/have on a boat is meant to float or not sink fast in case you drop it overboard- which happens quite often in our family. Jmo.

What about on the trailer? Any tools that raise and lower the third wheel support?

Could the killer have placed her there as a resting spot, one where he could return to "visit" her?

I thought about that too.

I haven't seen it yet, but I would go with Gravity.:twocents:

he walked early, right? they were in street clothes, they didn't get their morning saturday mail, she had worked the crossword puzzle in fri's paper, it was after 430 probably but before or just after supper, not stomach contents have been mentioned, so maybe before supper, she was cooking, had already ralaxed a bit and done the puzzle, she heard a noise outside, or he did and then later came in for her, or she came out looking for him, I hope and pray she did NOT WITNESS that scene, poor woman, poor man, gosh, yes it was a surprise, maybe even knew them, why it wasn't messy

JM thoughts, throwing it around

I like your thoughts on the timeline. Can we put together a timeline starting with the family Easter visit? I know it won't be exact but maybe seeing it all in order will help somehow. Adding in Shirley's last bridge meeting and Russell's trip to Publix.

a google search of anchors for small boats. In looking at these there seems to be a great variety of styles but none has that shape we are associating with a crowbar :(

While looking at these fishing and boating type tools and equipment I am also keeping my eyes open for the beheading tool used. It was apparently a pretty clean beheading so I would assume we are looking for a larger cutting tool that would be super sharp and not require a lot of hacking and sawing (messier and not as clean a cut)

https://www.google.com/search?q=anc...1&dpr=0.9#q=small+boat+anchor+photos&tbm=isch

Jumping off your post, I think the murderers came prepared with the tools they needed. IMO, these killings were deliberate, well planned out, vengeful and appeared to have some degree of sophistication. I also think RD was the target and SD was secondary so there were no witnesses. The murderers are trying to send a message to someone, either personally related or as an example.

IMOO, if this was to be viewed as an example, the Dermonds were selected because of their age, inability to effectively fight back, seclusion of their residence, access to water (perfect ingress/egress), low probability of being caught in the act, and due to the gruesomeness of the crime, a large amount of media coverage.

IMO, the murderers had prior knowledge of the waterway, security, boating; came prepared; and robbery was not the motive. As a smart poster on the previous thread mentioned, the perpetrators may have used the golf course and Ritz Hotel as a ruse to further implement their plan. Sophisticated killers can pass themselves off as just that and not arouse suspicion. JMV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xGothicBreenax