GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.wsbtv.com/videos/news/inv...oconee/vCbbRX/

In the same video, there's more info about the location of SD's remains. If you use your noggin, and then compare where an interview was filmed to an overview on google earth, I believe you can find almost the exact spot where the stumps/trees are. (I don't want to violate TOS) JMO

Further south doesn't work because of details of the shoreline, and further north doesn't work because of the "view" - that's all I can say.

I know there have been other maps posted that show different locations for the remains, but anyway for what it's worth (and maybe it will help someone), here is my humble version. Long Shoals boat ramp is where the body was moved onto vehicle transport - it's not where she was originally found (as reported in one early article). :moo::moo::moo::moo:

<modsnip>

Sorry Steelman - I didn't know you had just posted a map too! I missed it - not saying yours isn't correct, this is just my opinion! :)

Attachments

• my map.jpg
    my map.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 76
I know there have been other maps posted that show different locations for the remains, but anyway for what it's worth (and maybe it will help someone), here is my humble version. Long Shoals boat ramp is where the body was moved onto vehicle transport - it's not where she was originally found (as reported in one early article).
This whole "exposed trees" in middle of the lake bothered me.

Exposed tress...in the middle where people water ski? :eek:

Your map makes sense. On the Greene Co. side and on the way back to wherever their exit point was. (Lawrence Shoals?)

I felt compelled to sign up when I was reading some of the speculation about neighbors, many of whom I know. I think the moderator directed posters away from some of that "sleuthing.' I am a Lake Oconee local and am familiar with the lake and neighborhood. I don't have any theories about the crime that haven't been mentioned here. However, I might be able to comment on specific questions. For example, the neighboring houses are occupied.

So is anyone else also thinking that maybe now she wasn't killed until later? Since no one found her sooner? God I hope not, I just can't believe someone would do that to this poor elderly woman. I'm praying that she went the same time as her husband, and maybe they just didn't place her body until later...

Getting back on here for a minute, haven't read all the new posts but saw this one

THAT Is WHAT I had asked in an earlier thread, when they first found her, since her body was supposed to (according to the gases) have risen by saturday the weekend before she was found

Someone said it's not an exact science, and I'm sure temp of water and all makes a difference, but she was discoverd 6 days after the saturday she should have risen from gases

SO..........

she was either tethered OR

she was held a week after RD was killed OR

she was dumped elsewhere and just wasn't found until the day she was found

gonna post something interesting in a new post now

OKAY

FROM THE WORDS OF MY 83 YEAR OLD AUNT WHO GREW UP IN A MAFIA TOWN IN IL

"the mob did it, and they had to get rid of her because she saw it"

"thats usually how they do it and they take the head back for proof"

"they may not have been invovled in anything now but they could have been in their past"

end quote

she usually hits the nail on the head

I am now so darned curious if the Mafia town in IL you refer to your aunt living is Chicago or perhaps located more central in the state.

I felt compelled to sign up when I was reading some of the speculation about neighbors, many of whom I know. I think the moderator directed posters away from some of that "sleuthing.' I am a Lake Oconee local and am familiar with the lake and neighborhood. I don't have any theories about the crime that haven't been mentioned here. However, I might be able to comment on specific questions. For example, the neighboring houses are occupied.

Welcome, lakeoconee.

Closest public boat ramp to the Dermond's, if you know?

A big welcome to WS, so glad you are here.

http://www.wsbtv.com/videos/news/inv...oconee/vCbbRX/

In the same video, there's more info about the location of SD's remains. If you use your noggin, and then compare where an interview was filmed to an overview on google earth, I believe you can find almost the exact spot where the stumps/trees are. (I don't want to violate TOS) JMO

Further south doesn't work because of details of the shoreline, and further north doesn't work because of the "view" - that's all I can say.

I know there have been other maps posted that show different locations for the remains, but anyway for what it's worth (and maybe it will help someone), here is my humble version. Long Shoals boat ramp is where the body was moved onto vehicle transport - it's not where she was originally found (as reported in one early article). :moo::moo::moo::moo:

<modsnip>

Sorry Steelman - I didn't know you had just posted a map too! I missed it - not saying yours isn't correct, this is just my opinion! :)

Here's a zoomed in view from Google Earth of the area that you have marked in red on your photo. I'm not sure, but it looks like you can see stumps or a buoy in the water there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 53

:welcome:

Thank you for joining us and being willing to help with the area! And you're right, we don't sleuth people unless they are named suspects by LE or the mainstream media.

Welcome, lakeoconee.

Closest public boat ramp to the Dermond's, if you know?

CLosest public ramp operated by Georgia Power is Long Shoals boat landing. Private ramps in both Reynolds and Great Waters closer. Another commercial marina landing about a mile up lake (north). Opposite direction from where SD's body recovered.

Welcome, LakeOconee!

Have you or any of your neighbors observed LE or FBI canvassing any of the other neighborhoods in the area other than Reynolds Plantation?

I am now so darned curious if the Mafia town in IL you refer to your aunt living is Chicago or perhaps located more central in the state.

honey it's in a a darned small town, down at the confluence of the mississippi and the Ohio Rivers

Big in the 50's, now it's a ghost town

But it was the hub apparently

Welcome to the site and this discussion lakeoconee :) We are always thrilled to get the local perspective. Info about the area, geography, community etc is always invaluable when coming from local members.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Look forward to your insights on the area

CLosest public ramp operated by Georgia Power is Long Shoals boat landing. Private ramps in both Reynolds and Great Waters closer. Another commercial marina landing about a mile up lake (north). Opposite direction from where SD's body recovered.

I haven't been that far up Hwy. 16 in a long time but I don't recall much of anything along that route, if that was point of entry. Ugh.

So is anyone else also thinking that maybe now she wasn't killed until later? Since no one found her sooner? God I hope not, I just can't believe someone would do that to this poor elderly woman. I'm praying that she went the same time as her husband, and maybe they just didn't place her body until later...

No, the water temp has been lower than average/normal and probably slowed down the decomp gases a little, she was either tethered or snagged elsewhere for awhile then snagged on that tree when the gases did cause her rise from the bottom of the lake, somebody wuold have seen her if she'd been STRUNG UP on that tree trunk

ANother question is:

Do we think they would drive around for a week in or out of the lake with her live or dead obdy and then have to bring her back to dump her in the lake fi they ever even exited the lake

jmo

honey it's in a a darned small town, down at the confluence of the mississippi and the Ohio Rivers

Big in the 50's, now it's a ghost town

But it was the hub apparently

Last thought on this OT. I think I know the town of which you speak. My town was a stopping point between your aunt's town and Chicago and yes, it is all ancient history but there are some stories that live on to this day. ;)

No. Lots of questions for the neighbors if they saw or heard anything out of the ordinary ever since the discovery of RD's body.

I do want to explain about the fish plots and wildlife areas. In a few specific locations trees were left in the flood plain to provide habitat for fish and water fowl. And we do have bald eagles, blue heron and osprey. These areas are along the shoreline and marked with buoys. You can see one of the buoys in the still shot from WSB. The rest of the lake bottom except for the wildlife and fish plot was clear cut. Some nuts may try to water ski through these plots but I hope not.

"Clobberd" ? : (

"But Putnam County Sheriff Sills said surveillance videos from around the lake might not provide the clue he needs to find the person who clobbered the 87-year-old woman in the head and identify the murder weapon, which was not a knife or gun."

http://www.macon.com/2014/05/20/310...ew-leads.html?sp=/99/100/&ihp=1#storylink=cpy

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

I thought this was interesting too, from the linked article:

They put together a 28-page questionnaire of everything law enforcement wanted to know about the retired couple’s habits and to elicit any other clues that could lead to a suspect.

In about three hours, the team was able to cover a lot of ground in a neighborhood of 599 parcels, Sills said.

Investigators are now combing through responses and tracking down any leads and following up with other neighbors who were not at Sunday’s meeting.

"I know who didn’t come and I know who left early,” Sills said. “As I’ve said, everybody’s a suspect besides me, because I know where I was.”

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2014/05/20/310...ew-leads.html?sp=/99/100/&ihp=1#storylink=cpy

I like the way Sheriff Sills is handling this case. I think he will be successful in solving. He gives a little bit of new info each time he is quoted in the press.

and, gosh, a 28 page questionnaire?! WOW! How intimidating would that be to fill out! :scared: I hope the perp/s are ready for a nice long life in :jail:!!

Welcome.

Could you offer any opinions regarding the actual gate security at GW? Is it possible that a stranger could enter and leave the property without being "noticed"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah573x