GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone considered that the Dermond's may have had a reverse mortgage on their home or was in the process of applying for one? Without knowing their financial situation, it would be very difficult to know if the motive for their murders were financial in nature, imo..

Or maybe they paid in cash? !

Or maybe they paid in cash? !

I thought early on that someone posted the home was in an L.L.C. I have looked but can't find that post. I would think it is probably paid for. jmo

Huntcliff is not gated.

I have relatives still living in Huntcliff. They moved there in the 1970's when it was almost RURAL. When I drove out there the first time I thought my relatives had lost their minds, as they had been "in town" and now they were in the boondocks! It is not rural anymore, heavily congested on Roswell Road, and Loehmann's left. I can see why the D's would escape Sandy Springs, formerly part of Atlanta, for Lake Oconee. Many have.
My aunt "knew the last name Dermond and they had 4 kids" but not them.

So, just thinking out loud again...

Mr and Mrs D lived in an un-gated golfing community for about 20 years up until about 1999. They then moved into a home they built in another golfing community, this one with security (cough, cough, Barney Fife).

Sometime in 1999 their oldest son was murdered.

Could it be that some uninvited guest continually dropped in on them and could that have been part of the reason they moved? To break off ties with someone? Or to at least have more control over who could drop in and visit unannounced?

Mr and Mrs D lived in an un-gated golfing community for about 20 years up until about 1999. They then moved into a home they built in another golfing community, this one with security (cough, cough, Barney Fife).

Could it be that some uninvited guest continually dropped in on them and could that have been part of the reason they moved? To break off ties with someone? Or to at least have more control over who could drop in and visit unannounced?

Good theory and still could hold water. However, their son was killed in 2000, and they have owned the Carolyn Drive property since 1994.

According to this article it states their sons operated the business and I wonder if this included Mark before his death??

http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/lo...14/05/09/dermond-restaurant-business/8884519/

Someone posted recently that they'd read the Dermonds moved to GW in order to be half-way between their daughter in NC and sons in FL.

I wonder why, after 20 years in the same home in a golfing community, why would they leave and build a home in another golf community at their age? Most folks downsize as they get up in age like that.

Was the former home in a gated community?

I wonder if they had an elevator installed in the GW home.

There is a huge difference in traffic! Atlanta is awful and I understand why they left. I drove into Atlanta midtown last Wednesday and it was bumper to bumper going 75 MPH.

Someone posted recently that they'd read the Dermonds moved to GW in order to be half-way between their daughter in NC and sons in FL.

But I don't think the move to GW was enough to make a difference if the daughter lives in NC.

I'll have to go back and look at a map.

I wonder why, after 20 years in the same home in a golfing community, why would they leave and build a home in another golf community at their age? Most folks downsize as they get up in age like that.

Was the former home in a gated community?

I wonder if they had an elevator installed in the GW home.

I read a few articles about the Reynolds founder who was robbed last year. I had no idea the prestige in that community! Wowzers!

I believe that several big time franchise owners live in RP, including the Chick-Fila founder and maybe the Arby's fellow? I just skimmed the articles late at night so don't quote me, but my impression was that the Dermonds probably knew these people prior to retiring in RP.

To my knowledge, every area they have lived has been quite exclusive and prestigious, from Ct. to Paradise Valley to RP.

I wouldn't think they would want to change their lifestyle just because they were growing older. I'm pretty sure if you can afford the equivalent of a 1.25 million dollar home while your kids are young, you're probably able to do so in retirement, if you are wise with your money.

As an aside, I also found that Mr. dermond never owned a Chick-Fila. He sold what was once a Hardee's location in Peachtree City to Chick-Fila, who turned it into one of their restaurants years ago.

I have relatives still living in Huntcliff. They moved there in the 1970's when it was almost RURAL. When I drove out there the first time I thought my relatives had lost their minds, as they had been "in town" and now they were in the boondocks! It is not rural anymore, heavily congested on Roswell Road, and Loehmann's left. I can see why the D's would escape Sandy Springs, formerly part of Atlanta, for Lake Oconee. Many have.
My aunt "knew the last name Dermond and they had 4 kids" but not them.

Two Dermond families living in one neighborhood... both with 4 kids. That seems to be a really big coincidence.

Did Grandpa make any disparaging remarks about a suitor of a granddaughter/niece/daughter?
My Dad is 80 and lets every thought in his head come out of his mouth -good or bad.
I'm almost 50 and don't let him even meet my friends any more.
Could Mr. D. have been upset with someone dating a family member as in they are not good enough?
Revenge.

Two Dermond families living in one neighborhood... both with 4 kids. That seems to be a really big coincidence.

Actually, I think it should be given more than a glance over. This was brought up earlier, just here, a few days ago. I believe the first name was Dermond though, instead of the last name. Just to be on the safe side, I think our investigators should at least rule out this was a case of mistaken identity and if it was, what was going on with the other D.

IMO --After 75 they have no "filter". I never know what is coming out of my mother's mouth. In fact one of the reasons I moved her here -- her loud comments on the front porch about the neighbors across the street (they're in the yard!) and "cars coming and going at all hours of the day and night." I spent the night on the sofa on one visit, and she was right about the "dealings" going on there. I grew up in a nice neighborhood.

Wonder if any of those RP rental properties have become...we have a little problem in Atlanta in nice areas with grow houses. I wonder if...hmmm.

I lived in the Atlanta area from the mid 70's until the early 90's. The traffic was an issue then, but is nothing compared to the horrendous congestion now. The Interstates are bumper to bumper at all hours of the day and night. And the neighborhood traffic (Cobb County), is almost as bad. So sad, as Atlanta is a beautiful area with many positives. Having said this, it is easily understandable why the Dermonds moved to Lake Oconee. :twocents:

IMHO

I took OTPTarheel's post to mean that the relative had heard "of" the Dermond-family-who-had-4-children.....but didn't personally know them, had just heard of them.

Have been thinking about the question you posed earlier. Are psychopaths born or made? I'm not sure, but think people are born with the propensity, and that adverse experiences during childhood could take them there. Don't have much experience with this, only by reading true crime stories for many years. :twocents:

IMHO

I would think that could be true in some instances but I have read many articles about psychopaths who become murderers and many of them don't have childhood abuse in their background. Iirc about 30% claimed to be abused as a child.

Joseph Duncan was one of the worst sexual sadistic pedophile murderers I have ever read about. Demonic wouldn't even begin to cover him. There simply are no words. The FBI searched and searched for any reason to explain why he was the way he was. Nothing was ever found. No abuse.....no nothing and he was most certainly a psychopath for at the age of 8 years old he was already trying to rape boys that were around 5 years old. When he was around 12 he was sent to a hospital treatment facility. The doctors said he was a sexual sadist and incurable even at that young of age. I truly think sometimes there are bad seeds who are born and not made.

I actually think a child growing up being coddled and given everything can develop into a psychopath/sociopath with narcissistic traits and that is why I am afraid we are going to see more and more of them in the future. So many children are raised today never hearing the word 'no' and there are no ground rules in place to teach them life isn't all about them. Not all children of course but way more than there ever has been.

We are seeing more and more cases where teens and even younger killing their parents or siblings or all of the family. Most all of them killed them because the murderer was either told 'no' about something or they didn't get their way or had something material taken away due to being grounded and most of these teen killers who I call the 'walking dead' have absolutely not one ounce of remorse for what they did. None.

JMO

Have been thinking about the question you posed earlier. Are psychopaths born or made? I'm not sure, but think people are born with the propensity, and that adverse experiences during childhood could take them there. Don't have much experience with this, only by reading true crime stories for many years. :twocents:

IMHO

This is an interesting article concerning psychopaths;

Can You Call A 9 Year Old A Psychopath?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/13/m....html?_r=5&src=me&ref=general&pagewanted=all&

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member