GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen references to "Meth" & "Meth Heads" multiple times throughout these discussions. Why ? I'm not referring to the drug itself, nor it's prevalence (I've worked the Narcotics Div. for years). I'm asking why SPECIFICALLY people are trying to link Meth to this case. Was this mentioned by LE or MSM ? I haven't read every word of all the literature related to this case. Did I miss something ? Why the association ? TIA.

I have wondered the same question. Why aren't people blaming this on crack cocaine?

I have always heard Meth was a white-man's drug and crack was a black-man's drug. If you look up the population ratio in Eatonton and Greensboro, it is over overwhelmingly black.

Are people thinking Meth because of the lake being in a rural area? Isn't meth more prevelant in rural areas? I have not read anything in MSM stating Meth.

I haven't either and that is why I asked for a link. So far, no response to my post providing a link. I know how hard it is to go back and try to find something, but I think that is an important bit of information and I would like to know where it came from. jmo
I agree. It seems to be stated as a fact. You have to read post #133 to understand "went to dinner on Friday nights" is part of a theory.

I am not so sure about that. Sometimes it backfires on them but sometimes it does get results.

Thinking of the young lady out in California, Mitrice Richardson. Her family was before the camera's daily.

Not to forget Travon Martin. Nothing would have been done but for the family demanding answers.

I can't forget Polly Klass and how her father pleaded for her return. He is now a huge spokesperson for missing children.

So I believe every family handles it the best way they know how to handle it and none can be faulted.

This has to be terrible for this family of sons and daughter and their families knowing how their mother/father and grandparents who where living their twilight years came to this awful fate.

It's a sadness that will never go away.

MOO

When Polly went missing in the early 90s Mark Klass did not have to deal with the media like it is now where words seem to be twisted, misquoted or taken out of context in order to sensationalize the case. The media back over two decades ago cant even begin to compare to what the so called media has become like today.

He also didn't have to deal with the internet masses either who always seem to tear apart, find fault, and critique everything a family member has to say.

I agree. It seems to be stated as a fact. You have to read post #133 to understand "went to dinner on Friday nights" is part of a theory.

You're right. Just didn't read it carefully enough. Was just hoping for some new news. thanks.

After a fair amount of studying examples of this kind of murder, and essentially ignoring 75% of what the sheriff has said and 85% of what media has said and considering only what the general public can know for sure, I'm starting to think this was done as an example.

These gentle folks may have committed some perceived transgression, or maybe not, or they could have been selected for no particular reason.

The beheading is the singularly most significant fact of this case, and there seems no other ordinary factor that would explain that.

After a fair amount of studying examples of this kind of murder, and essentially ignoring 75% of what the sheriff has said and 85% of what media has said and considering only what the general public can know for sure, I'm starting to think this was done as an example.

These gentle folks may have committed some perceived transgression, or maybe not, or they could have been selected for no particular reason.

The beheading is the singularly most significant fact of this case, and there seems no other ordinary factor that would explain that.

BBM
Your theoretical posts are intriguing. My question: To whom would this example be directed?

BBM
Your theoretical posts are intriguing. My question: To whom would this example be directed?

That is a difficult question to speculate on. I have seen nothing to indicate the Dermonds could possibly have contributed in some way to their own demise. The fact is that Mrs. Dermond was murdered in a "conventional" fashion while Mr. Dermond suffered death in a fashion generally meant to instill great fear in others.

It does seem plausible that the killing was by some Beast that just likes collecting heads for altogether different reasons, but one other factor which is not actually known is that the criminal was "organized" rather than "disorganized" and acted almost professionally. What do the profilers say about that trait? Of course, that thought is based on the description of the crime scene and the nature of the decapitation, though we only assume that was the case because of Sills statements.

If it's not for "money or love", as they say in murder cases, there must be a different reason.

I have wondered the same question. Why aren't people blaming this on crack cocaine?

I have always heard Meth was a white-man's drug and crack was a black-man's drug. If you look up the population ratio in Eatonton and Greensboro, it is over overwhelmingly black.

Are people thinking Meth because of the lake being in a rural area? Isn't meth more prevelant in rural areas? I have not read anything in MSM stating Meth.

I consider the area rural. It's 90 minutes from Atlanta but worlds away...it was in my territory when I had a traveling job. You go east of Alcovy Rd. on I-20 and I consider everything to Augusta rural. JMO. And I grew up in a town similar to Eatonton. Rural.

And I have nothing to back up this statement, but my personal observations, but I believe the population living at RP and GW is mostly Caucasian, even though the county is mainly African- American. I think if a neighbor saw an African- American in the backyard that would have been stated by LE.

Don't hear much about crack cocaine in Georgia these days- heroin and meth. Heroin is cheap. Cheaper than oxycodone,etc. Meth is made in trailers, rolling labs, and rental homes and owner- occupied homes in expensive neighborhoods. Think "Weeds" .

Ok one more thought I am having this afternoon.

I am wondering if it was Mrs. Dermonds habit to wear expensive jewelry?

Some ladies like the bling and some don't.

Could somebody have followed them home to make a quick hit on jewelry and got more than they reckoned on from Mr. D?

Jewelry is quick money and maybe they were high and needed some to stay that way.

Just a shot in the dark but I keep wondering why the Dermonds were the target???

The more I think of that the more I think not. This was too well planned out and there had to be a boat to take Mrs. down the river. There had to be knowledge to behead somebody and they surely took their time if the place was as clean as I think it was after all that murdering.

Sorry for the ramble...how the mind works and it's a slow afternoon.

FYI- 1st time billboards were used in a missing/murdered persons investigation for awareness... Reminds me a lot of what the investigators are going through in the Dermond case....

"Sunset" "Angels & Demons" Pullitizer Prize- French
On HLN Forensics Files Now... The Rogers family Tampa, FL
Joan Rogers & daughters were thrown in the ocean with concrete block anchors pre-mortem...by serial killer Oba Chandler
Floated after 3 days, blocks and all..

http://www.pulitzer.org/archives/7892

The Pulitzer Prizes | Angels and Demons
www.pulitzer.org/archives/7892
Pulitzer Prize
One year had gone by since the murders, and then another, and now the investigators were deep into a third. They were working day and night, working ...

Ok one more thought I am having this afternoon.

I am wondering if it was Mrs. Dermonds habit to wear expensive jewelry?

Some ladies like the bling and some don't.

Could somebody have followed them home to make a quick hit on jewelry and got more than they reckoned on from Mr. D?

Jewelry is quick money and maybe they were high and needed some to stay that way.

Just a shot in the dark but I keep wondering why the Dermonds were the target???

The more I think of that the more I think not. This was too well planned out and there had to be a boat to take Mrs. down the river. There had to be knowledge to behead somebody and they surely took their time if the place was as clean as I think it was after all that murdering.

Sorry for the ramble...how the mind works and it's a slow afternoon.

Your post (specifically what is bolded for specifics) made me think of something I thought a few days ago, but somehow it slipped into the abyss. Sheriff Sills specifically commented on how clean the house was. He never mentioned the condition of the garage. I just wonder what the garage looked like. If Shirley came down when she heard a disturbance in the garage or came in from outside to the garage if she had been gardening and disrupted the perp in the garage it might have been a horrible mess as if a struggle had ensued there. We know Russell was moved only a few feet. What if he was just unconscious and woke up in the garage? Maybe the garage looked like a cyclone had hit it?

Wonder if the perp was so bold as to drive the Dermonds' vehicles? I'm sure they both had the appropriate sticker and that would be just what the guard at the entrance gate would be looking for - the sticker - not so much at a face maybe as Sheriff Sills couldn't even remember a robbery taking place at RP/GW. . . . .

Maybe Mr. Dermond had befriended a youth and told him he could come fish off his pier anytime expecting the perp to come by vehicle and called from the gate and alerted to their arrival. Yet, this perp came by boat. . . walked up the back way and came to the front door, rang the doorbell and when Mr. Dermond looked out he recognized the kid as someone he told could come fish or swim off his pier and opened the door to them. Mr. Dermond asked them if they had everything the needed to fish and the perp said no he needed some fresh line or something and Mr. Dermond took them to the garage where before going in he was struck from behind by the perp.

Maybe Mr. Dermond had befriend a youth and told him he could come fish off his pier anytime expecting the perp to come by vehicle and called from the gate and alerted to their arrival. Yet, this perp came by boat. . . walked up the back way and came to the front door, rang the doorbell and when Mr. Dermond looked out he recognized the kid as someone he told could come fish or swim off his pier and opened the door to them. Mr. Dermond asked them if they had everything the needed to fish and the perp said no he needed some fresh line or something and Mr. Dermond took them to the garage where before going in he was struck from behind by the perp.

I cannot see a youth killing a grandmother/grandfather image, let alone beheading one of them.

Boy, I took a beating on Facebook, haha! I just can't imagine a cult, cartel, or hit man and I may very well eat my words...but it seems to me, Sills wouldn't have said the family is cleared and that he has looked at ALL the financials if they were going down that path. Or would he?? Why couldn't it be some freaked out dudes wanting cash/guns? Jewelry, cameras, etc. would end up in a pawn shop. If it was a hit, just shoot them. What am I missing? I thought the facebookers jumped on the family and I haven't gone there in my mind (yet). I will admit it was my first thought, a grandson but again...on DRUGS. Tired of going in circles, going to stick with my gut feeling. Younguns, fantasy world...

Hickory Born - it happens. I say youth as in someone in their 20s with no life.

I cannot see a youth killing a grandmother/grandfather image, let alone beheading one of them.

Officials are looking for a 70-year-old Sterling woman after the body of her husband was found inside their home Thursday afternoon.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10604961&highlight=shirley+severance#post10604961

"STERLING - The 19-year-old charged with murdering his grandparents admitted to police he did it, court records show.

According to court records, Brendan Johnson told investigators he and his 18-year-old girlfriend Cassandra Rieb "had been planning to kill his 70-year-old grandparents Charles and Shirley Severance since the first part of May." Rieb also admitted to her role in the murder to police, according to court records."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper