GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading all the posts today, and the new information about the computer log on, it got me to thinking. Very recently, the Dermonds had family in town, and their house was described as immaculate. At first, Sills said they had no outside help, but that changed rather recently to that they occasionally had help. (I'm assuming it's cleaning or home health care)

So I thought I might peek around at cleaning companies in the area. First one? Young couple. Man and woman. Huh. That would make sense. Omg. Idiot has a picture of a gun WITH A SILENCER and a menacing post beneath it linked to their business page. Huh again. Quick search. Google....reveals business partner-slash-wife putting out an internet plea for trivial amount of cash on...may 2. Triple huh.

I never made it to look at the other cleaning companies. That one almost stopped my heart.

The slope in the backyard does not look that difficult to walk on with any type shoe. Just think of it being beautiful green grass and it takes on a much different appearance. The pine needles are a lower maintenance issue which was probably the reason they were selected. At 70ish when this house was built, the yard or slope was the least of their concern. IMO.

After reading all the posts today, and the new information about the computer log on, it got me to thinking. Very recently, the Dermonds had family in town, and their house was described as immaculate. At first, Sills said they had no outside help, but that changed rather recently to that they occasionally had help. (I'm assuming it's cleaning or home health care)

So I thought I might peek around at cleaning companies in the area. First one? Young couple. Man and woman. Huh. That would make sense. Omg. Idiot has a picture of a gun WITH A SILENCER and a menacing post beneath it linked to their business page. Huh again. Quick search. Google....reveals business partner-slash-wife putting out an internet plea for trivial amount of cash on...may 2. Triple huh.

I never made it to look at the other cleaning companies. That one almost stopped my heart.

Wait!! What???? That is crazy. This is on their website? Oh no!!! jmo

I am kind of curious. One of the fun things to do when you own a boat on the lake, river is to take a boat ride and look at homes.

Usually the water side is the front of the home and the street side is the back side of a home.

I went over to Youtube looking for any video's of a boatride on Ocoee River but no luck.

So for those more familiar with the Dermond property what would make that particular house a target for somebody in a boat scoping out properties?

Would it be because the Dermonds were elderly? Or would the house be more outstanding than the others?

~Respectively snipped

With all the glass on the back of the home (and if their lights were on), anyone out on the lake at night would have a good view of the inside.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 40
It's not on their business website, it's linked on their business page on a popular social media site.

Btw, the monetary plea had a tie to something out of state...

Didn't the sheriff not too long ago ask if anybody had seen anything of interest on the river leading up to the murders.

Perhaps he was looking for anybody watching the Dermond home???

I haven't heard if the fisherman was paid or not. Sounds like not!

Sportsmen Sought For Clues On Dermond Murder At Lake Oconee
The Putnam County Sherriff’s Office is asking sportsmen and anglers who were in the area or on the lake May 2-5 to share any information that could lead to an arrest.

“Outdoors enthusiasts are an observant bunch, and we need their help,” said Harry Luke with the Putnam County Sherriff’s Office in Eatonton.

Mr. Dermond’s body was found decapitated on May 6, while Mrs. Dermond’s body was not found until May 16 when an angler fishing several miles downstream near the mouth of Richland Creek discovered her body.

“Anyone in the Lake Oconee area during that time who observed anything suspicious on the water, on the bank, on the highways or at the boat ramps is urged to please contact the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office,” said Harry.
http://www.gon.com/article.php?id=3772&cid=158

It has been my experience with hired help that most rely on friends for a referral.

I am kind of curious. One of the fun things to do when you own a boat on the lake, river is to take a boat ride and look at homes.

Usually the water side is the front of the home and the street side is the back side of a home.

I went over to Youtube looking for any video's of a boatride on Ocoee River but no luck.

So for those more familiar with the Dermond property what would make that particular house a target for somebody in a boat scoping out properties?

Would it be because the Dermonds were elderly? Or would the house be more outstanding than the others?

Curiosity has gotten the best of me after reading more about Austin Sigg this evening. Seems he watched little Jessica for a long time before he made his move on her.

Could this killer of the Dermonds have spent months on the water just watching the house and knew their habits?

Earlier I wrote my theory that this killer knew their comings and goings and knew they went to dinner on Friday nights and he knew when they usually left and when they usually arrived back home. He waited until they were in the garage and then followed them inside.

I think they were stalked and targeted for heaven only knows what reason other than they looked like they had some wealth and were unable to defend themselves. And too perhaps they looked like victims.

This killing makes me really sad.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_24631031/evidence-details-twisted-path-that-led-austin-sigg

After his arrest, Sigg spent hours describing to investigators what he says was a crime at a "random place, random time, random everything." His defense attorneys argued that his actions were impulsive and that he struggled to understand them.

But prosecutors and court testimony suggest Sigg, who pleaded guilty to all of the charges against him on Oct. 1, spent months planning and studying, searching the Internet for chloroform recipes and the "Top Ten Places People Get Abducted." Sigg's confidence in his method, however, may have led to some of his greatest missteps.

I didn't know they went to dinner every Friday night. Where was that reported? Do you have a link. That sounds important. jmo

Refresh me, there are guards at the entrance of the community, right? What do they wear for uniforms? Footwear? What are their credentials? Seems like they would be in a position to know the couple, but not too well, imo.

as to possible person climbing the slope. This info is still unverified because it is not linkable yet. So, considered rumor til then. But following that track, I don't think special footwear would be necessary.

I am 46 years old and live a mostly sedentary lifestyle. I could climb that slope no problem. The Dermonds, probably not. But me, yep, no special footwear needed (granted I would not attempt in heels).

So IF it comes to light thru linkable MSM source that a witness saw someone climbing the back slope of the Dermond property by some other means than the walkway (AND WHY would they anyway???) then I would assume for now the witness seems to allege that the Dermonds were not fit and able bodied enough to do it in but an able bodied much more spry and young person could without any special footwear.

I agree. And also -- though we don't have a link with which to verify the exact wording of the report -- couldn't the man the neighbor said she saw have been USING the walkway/steps -- just moving more spryly than she expected Mr. Dermond would be able to, even on the walk/steps. It's still a slope -- even if you are negotiating it using steps...steps that might be a bit difficult in your 80s.

ETA: Just wanted to add -- the thing about a station running a report on the air and then providing no way to link it online: Maddening!! Happened to me a number of times during later stages of the Lauren Giddings case. I think, in some instances, info "slips" out that LE or other authority later decides they'd rather not be spread, after all, and stations deliberately do not post the report. Certainly not always the case, and not saying it was in this case -- but I do think that happens, sometimes.

Seems they must have been killed on Friday.

Does anyone think a friend did stop by on Saturday,no one answered and they left thinking the Ds maybe went out of town because of a family emergency? And after the murders they were too freaked out to tell the sheriff?

I am watching channel 5 to see if they cover the D case or is it still all Mark Winne and WSB.

I don't know.... Even though we have one MSM link that flat-out states that Mr. D. was killed on May 2 (Friday) -- and even though Friday/Friday night/very early AM Saturday seems to be the prevailing thought here on WS, I have always had a feeling that most of this crime may have happened on Saturday, and much of it during the daytime. JMO, and I can't really explain why.

lol, don't feel bad! A little humor is needed.
This case is beyond bizarre..... there seems to be no leads.

Oh there's leads, IMO! By saying 'no leads' 'we're baffled', etc., it sets the perp at ease, maybe showing a change in activity, or behavior that someone close will recognize. Maybe someone sitting around drinking a few, and yapping away about the case, and how incompetent the LE in the area is, blah blah, and throws their theories around, which hits too close to the truth!

I know LE will collect any and everything during a warrant, because it's there THEN, but might not be later if they think they might need it. So in other cases, we've seen bags and bags taken, and not heard much about the evidence until TRIAL TIME! And sometimes that amount taken doesn't add up to what we see at the trial. They have to weed out what's important, and what's not. Taking the lint out of the dryer in detailed, IMO.

Now about that dryer lint, did Mrs Dermond or Mr. Dermond typically do the laundry? Or a joint effort? Did they empty the lint before starting a new load, or after the load finished? I clean mine after a load, but always have to check it before starting a load, because others here don't clean it afterwards. But with just two living in the home, and having been married for so many years, there might be a clue there. Also, did they do laundry one day a week? See, so many things only those closest to the couple would know. My neighbors would have no idea of my laundry habits, or truly much about me. My family that lives in the house would know. My siblings and parents would have no clue! The most two of my siblings could tell you is I have animals and big dogs. They are both afraid of big dogs so don't visit! They don't even know the lay out of my house or anything else. No lie. Of course my kids know that I don't do laundry on any schedule. It's done as it needs to be done. They know I make my own laundry detergent, but they wouldn't know about the lint. Only that I throw it on the compost pile.

Sadly, there might not be anyone that truly knows how the Dermonds lived either. Their routines, their habits, etc. It's been years (I would assume) since their kids lived with them, and people change over time, especially as they age. If any grandkids ever spent holidays or summers with them, they might know. But even then, how many people tweak their schedule, especially for grandkids? Most would want to pamper, and spend that time with them, rather than mundane task that could be taken care of once the kids are back with their parents.

I look at their home, of course only seen outside views, and I think about all the things we looked at when buying ours around 5 yrs ago. I wanted main floor living. Basement for the kids. Main floor laundry. Few steps coming into home was OK, but I didnt' want a split foyer type home where you had many steps just to get in the house! And I'm 42!!! At 70, for one, I can't imagine moving into a large home, would be looking to downsize if I have to move at that age, and no way would I want those steps!! NO WAY!!

Yes I have health issues, and know they'll get worse, so that was in the planning of what we wanted in a new home. But people also realize they age. At 70, I would think your most mobile days are behind. Not that they were walker or wheelchair bound, and appeared to be in great shape. But logic says that isn't going to continue for the rest of their lives, so I can't imagine choosing that type home to build that late in life.

Don't think it matters about their killings, but still....just mind blowing to me.

I live in a neighborhood that has similarities to this one, with manned gate security and many of the homes on a large lake. The security aspect in regard to the entrance is excellent. The guards will call if you forget to say you have a guest or workman coming. If, no answer, the person is turned away. No deliveries can come in after a certain time..I think it's currently 6PM. The police should have a fairly good idea of who was in the neighborhood working, etc during that period.

The problem is the lake. A few years ago, an individual who claimed to come from an organization called the Moroccan Army Of Philadelphia (sometimes Moorish Army) gained entry to a large empty house on the Lake. He put up a small notice saying he had seized the house for his organization and explained that the organization does not recognize property rights. He managed to live there for several days until the realtor handling the house saw the small notice he posted near the front door.

By the time, the authorities came, he was not in the house. He obviously has help arriving and departing. He had food, etc. Either he arrived hidden in a car, assisted by someone who had authorized entry through the gate. Or he was being delivered and picked up again by boat. I have since been told by a real estate lawyer in Atlanta that this organization is well known. They target houses in this kind of neighborhood and it can take months or years to go through the legal process to get them out. They are very well organized squatters.

I wonder if there are any vacant homes on the water near the victims house that could have been the target? Not that this group has ever been violent as far as I know. But anything can happen when people are surprised and chaos ensues. Just my opinion.

I agree. And also -- though we don't have a link with which to verify the exact wording of the report -- couldn't the man the neighbor said she saw have been USING the walkway/steps -- just moving more spryly than she expected Mr. Dermond would be able to, even on the walk/steps. It's still a slope -- even if you are negotiating it using steps...steps that might be a bit difficult in your 80s.

ETA: Just wanted to add -- the thing about a station running a report on the air and then providing no way to link it online: Maddening!! Happened to me a number of times during later stages of the Lauren Giddings case. I think, in some instances, info "slips" out that LE or other authority later decides they'd rather not be spread, after all, and stations deliberately do not post the report. Certainly not always the case, and not saying it was in this case -- but I do think that happens, sometimes.

It also happened numerous times with the Kyron Horman case. Entire news broadcasts went missing and printed news stories online were redacted or removed altogether.

I understand that in some cases LE asks the news outlets to remove some of the sensitive information reported as it may hinder the ongoing investigation. I agree though that it is maddening especially when you know for a fact that you've heard or read a particular piece of information, only to never be able to find it again. :(

My 1st theory (of many) was this was a burglary gone wrong. Is Sheriff Sills saying the same thing? I have yet learned how to read between his lines...and I am Southern born and bred.

"Sills said his educated suspicion is that at least at least one of the killers at the house knew the Dermonds-- not especially well-- and showed up to steal something the Dermonds did not have or could not get."

Good Morning Everyone!:seeya:

I have now gotten caught up on all of the new articles from yesterday.

I am glad that they are continuing to look at the case closely based on the evidence they have. Wow, and I saw boxes and boxes of evidence sitting on his desk and I am sure a lot more evidence is still being processed at the lab. That's good.

I also noticed he has backed off on his theory that the killer came by boat and left by boat. As everyone knows I have never believed he arrived by boat to access the Dermond property in order to commit these murders. I think he only used his boat to transport Shirley and Russ' head. I still believe he lives right there on the grounds of GW. Once he did the disposal he just idled right back in to his own boat dock and disappeared back inside of his home.

And the more I think about my last theory of an attempted robbery as the possible motive.. the more I think that may be it.

I think it was someone who knew the Dermonds casually from the neighborhood. Imo, this person was there to steal something and I think Russ interrupted that attempted robbery. The killer knew the Dermonds could identify him/them by name.

He killed them both to silence witnesses that could ID him..i.e..protecting his secret from being exposed... which I have said all along.

He may have done all the aftermath like he did hoping LE would think it was a hit of some kind. Thank goodness though the evidence they have is showing them this had nothing to do with a sterile hit by anyone against law abiding citizens who were almost in their 90s.

On this I have changed my opinion some on why he did the aftermath like he did:

I am convinced he wanted Shirley to 'appear' as if she had been abducted by the 'big bad hit men' who had cut her husband's head off. IMO, he never expected her to rise. No one goes through all this trouble and risks of disposing a dead body thinking it will rise to the surface.

All of this was done in order to try and make the police believe it was a hit done by a cold stranger who was a hired hit man and abducted Shirley instead of someone (HIM/THEM) who personally knew the Dermonds.

Thank goodness he did leave enough evidence behind to show he had familiarity with the victims. Murderers never think of everything.

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member