GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just have to say something regarding the $55,000 reward. . . I just don't think that is the kind of money that is going to bring any answers. Quite frankly I'm shocked that the reward is not more. I have followed Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Morrissey case for over 2 years now and the reward for information leading to the arrest and prosecution of whomever caused those girls to go missing and end up dead is $150,000. I don't understand why, if people are truly afraid, are they not donating to this reward fund?

Speaking for myself, I am not afraid (nor are my friends). And why would I feel compelled to contribute to a reward fund if the wealthy family of the victims have not done so? Or if they have, in a very, very minor amount

Participants came to honor the late Russell Dermond, who was found dead in the couple’s Great Waters home last week and hold a vigil for his wife, Shirley, who has disappeared. The Dermond's children -- Keith, Brad and Leslie -- did not attend. An Atlanta TV station later reported they had returned to their homes in Florida and North Carolina.
This is from the Eatonton Messenger, May 11th. Someone recently brought this to my attention. I would like to know more about the 9 grandchildren but that's all I'm going to say about that. Just curious!

Speaking for myself, I am not afraid (nor are my friends). And why would I feel compelled to contribute to a reward fund if the wealthy family of the victims have not done so? Or if they have, in a very, very minor amount

I think that pretty much sums it up! And speaks volumes!

Well said! :clap: :clap: :clap:

The Dermond family has been inducted into the involuntary fraternity of the new life's normal. This means that their lives will never be the same as it was the day before their loved ones received the news that their parents and grandparents; Shirley and Russel Dermond, had been abducted/murdered/decapitated.
An involuntary fraternity that you, I, or any other family never ever wants to become a member of...

Folks, we don't know what this family is experiencing, has experienced, or will experience during their grieving periods..

CUE National Missing/Murdered Person Conference -
"The involuntary Fraternity of the New Life's Normal"..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN878keA6K0

lakeoconee, are you(and your friends) concerned that a motive has yet to be determined in this case, and it is no closer to being solved than it was over three months ago? Do you have a link verifying the family's wealth, or for their minor donations to the reward fund?

Imo, the Dermond reward fund amount would have been much greater if it had been set up early in the investigation, and there had been a social media page for donations via pay pal, etc.. A month had passed since the Dermond murders before the decision to establish the reward fund was made by Sheriff Sills.. Much of the ms media coverage and sense of urgency had diminished by this time, imo...

Sheriff asks public to add to reward in Dermond case - June 4th, 2014,
http://hancock.13wmaz.com/news/crime/250262-sheriff-asks-public-add-reward-dermond-case

lakeoconee: May I ask why you and your friends are not afraid?

Hello friends.

Late (by my old person standards) getting home. I will give my best answers to you in the morning. Ask away!!!

The family seems to be successful, so why didn't they contribute? Like I said before, I would be doing anything to help if they had been my parents.

I guess there could be any number of reasons why they haven't contributed, as far as we know. I think it's been stated on here that rewards have rarely solved a case and that the contributions to the reward are non-refundable if the reward is not issued. So, maybe this was explained to them and maybe this is why they have not contributed to it.

Other than that, in order to try to understand any other possible reasons, I would ask myself why I would not contribute if it were my parents.

The relative I have who lives near the area said no one is afraid, because they don't see this as a random crime. She said most of her acquaintances...and she agrees...this was an issue between the Dermonds and their killers. No serial killer or loose nut in the area. Nothing has happened similar before...or since...so they feel like it had nothing to do with anyone else in the area.

Hello friends.

Late (by my old person standards) getting home. I will give my best answers to you in the morning. Ask away!!!

lakeoconee: I am anxiously awaiting! Why are you and your friends not afraid???

The relative I have who lives near the area said no one is afraid, because they don't see this as a random crime. She said most of her acquaintances...and she agrees...this was an issue between the Dermonds and their killers. No serial killer or loose nut in the area. Nothing has happened similar before...or since...so they feel like it had nothing to do with anyone else in the area.

I was thinking, well, if this is specific to the Dermonds, what would Russell and Shirley Have that perhaps the killer would want?
Did the Dermonds purchase something from someone, and maybe they want it back? Like, for instance, did the Dermonds collect coins?
Hypothetically, if the Dermonds have bullion, or say Numismatic coins, maybe they purchased a numismatic coin that is of more value now
then when it was purchased? Hypothetically, maybe the seller didn't realize the numismatic value?
Just throwing thoughts out there as to why the Dermonds would be specifically targeted.
IMOO.

Exactly the way I feel. And everybody I talk to feels the same. This may be wishful thinking, but that's where we are.

lakeoconee, are you(and your friends) concerned that a motive has yet to be determined in this case, and it is no closer to being solved than it was over three months ago? Do you have a link verifying the family's wealth, or for their minor donations to the reward fund?

Imo, the Dermond reward fund amount would have been much greater if it had been set up early in the investigation, and there had been a social media page for donations via pay pal, etc.. A month had passed since the Dermond murders before the decision to establish the reward fund was made by Sheriff Sills.. Much of the ms media coverage and sense of urgency had diminished by this time, imo...

Sheriff asks public to add to reward in Dermond case - June 4th, 2014,
http://hancock.13wmaz.com/news/crime/250262-sheriff-asks-public-add-reward-dermond-case

I would love to know the motive. That would solve the case, I assume, and of course it would either justify the way locals feel or prove us wrong. I still haven't decided for myself if the intention was to kill the Dermonds.

I do not have a link about the "wealth" of the Dermonds. Chalk it up to local talk. People who knew and played golf with Russ said he was justifiably proud of their (his sons') success. Just adding up the reward money and the known contributors, there wasn't a big infusion all at once except for the Reynolds Plantation money. I totally agree that it amount would have been greater if it had been established sooner and if there were an easy way like Paypal to donate.

The GBI(Georgia Bureau of Investigation) sure has been active on their social media pages as of late. Some very interesting info & chats, etc..

https://www.facebook.com/Georgia.Bureau.of.Investigation

Welcome to the GBI> http://gbi.georgia.gov/
The GBI supports the state's criminal justice system in the areas of criminal investigations, forensic laboratory services and computerized criminal justice information.

GBI Investigative Division
Special agents from the Investigative Division respond to requests for assistance from local law enforcement officials to investigate major crimes throughout Georgia.

GBI Divisions
The Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) is an independent, statewide agency that provides assistance to the state's criminal justice system in the areas of criminal investigations, forensic laboratory services and computerized criminal justice information. The Bureau consists of three divisions:

* Investigative DivisionInvestigative Division
* Division of Forensic SciencesDivision of Forensic Sciences (GBI Crime Laboratory)
* Georgia Crime Information CenterGeorgia Crime Information Center
<sniped read more>

Thank you LO for being patient with us and answering our questions. We haven't even heard if Mr. Dermond was drugged or not. The only thing I have read is there was no sign of trauma to his body. Mrs. Dermond was killed by blunt force trauma to the head. That disturbs me. Can LE not even release if she was sexually assaulted or not? I think if it was a violent sexual component to this crime (and we do not know that there was not) that people would be more wary and more scared. Maybe it's best if we don't know. I know even know any more. Just because it hasn't happened again in that community doesn't mean it won't. It's still early to predict it will happen again there. Copy cat killers scare me (Shirley Severence ). Guess that's why LE doesn't release much is so killers can't copy. If gold bullion was a motive then perhaps the public should be alerted to that fact? Or, maybe we should know gold would be a motive for crime. Lots of people collect gold - all over the world. That would be something you're not going to let everyone know you have either. Oh dear! It just bothers me that this case has NOT been solved. Nor any justice seemingly in this case and WE know who did it!! : http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-Sterling-29-May-2014&p=10864675#post10864675

Bumping video on Hancock Co Courthouse Fire>

Hancock County's remaining records after the fire..
http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/lo...ys-remaining-records-after-the-fire/14080231/

Definitely a worthy cause IMO! Out of tragedy comes Microfiche. I remember the old hospital I used to work at put their records on Microfiche. Oh man! I wonder where those records are. Still at the old building waiting to be burned up? Of course medical record are different than the public records that were lost in this fire. So glad they were saved and are able to retrieved.

I've had this nagging thought before and it came back this morning (probably far-fetched, but we have to try)..does anybody know when they sold their boat and to whom? I have been reading back through the Eatonton Messenger and the only reference I saw just said they had paid taxes on a boat they recently sold. Could they have sold it someone locally who was making payments to them personally rather than through a bank? Or was it an expensive boat? What could the perps have come for?!

Summers spent 20 years undercover with the Atlanta Police Department. He also worked for the Department of Defense in Afghanistan tracking bomb-makers affiliated with the Taliban and Al-Qaida.

"As an investigator, first thing I would do is look at other parts of the country and see if there are other crimes that parallel this," Summers said.

The FBI is involved, at least in part because Shirley Dermond is missing. But they would also investigate a multistate serial killer.

"If it is a serial killer, he's operating in such a way ... he's been in that community for a while."

"I'd definitely be interviewing anybody on the lake for any single males, probably white males they've seen in kayaks or canoes," Summers said.

Summers said investigators are also likely looking at a connection to organized crime.

"This is something very common with drug cartels, which is prominent in Atlanta area. Beheadings are absolutely the No. 1 way you send a message," Summers said.

Summers also said investigators are likely going through any surveillance video of nearby gas stations, convenience stores and hotels, looking for anyone who may have recently appeared in the area.

This is from another older report but the view is from a 20 year veteran of the APD undercover unit and worth noting. I personally don't think it was a serial killer but who knows?! And drug cartel?? That doesn't ring true for me, either. It's been a long 14 weeks waiting on just some nugget of information. *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StringTheory3333