GUILTY GA - Skylar Dials, 9, Griffin, 21 December 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I know this has been pretty much laid to rest until the trial starts and more information comes out, but I had a thought about it, strange as it may be. When he said he didn't know how he could tell his 10 year old daughter her friend was dead, could he have been talking about his own daughter, and not the daughter of his girlfriend? I've know a few people over the years who seem to cope with a death fairly well, until one day they say something out of the blue that makes it obvious that they don't always think of the person as being dead.

I had an aunt whose fiance fell/jumped/was pushed off a bridge and died of a broken neck. She amazed people by accepting it so calmly, talking about him and how much her boys would miss him, talking about how dumb he was for being up there in the first place, etc. If people asked her how she was doing, she'd say she was fine (and that there was nothing she could do about it anyway so she'd just moved on). Then I was visiting her one day about 6 months later. She was really distracted and I asked if something was wrong, and she said, "I'm a little worried about Roger (her dead fiance) because he hasn't called me in days."

Maybe this guy thought Skylar was such a sweet girl, she'd be the perfect friend for his little girl who would be about 10 years old now.

If that's the case, he should be wondering how he can tell his 10 year old daughter that he killed her best friend.

I get what you're saying though. I'm just burned up at this guy.

If that's the case, he should be wondering how he can tell his 10 year old daughter that he killed her best friend.

I get what you're saying though. I'm just burned up at this guy.

You're definitely not alone in that.

The man accused of murdering a Griffin girl just days before Christmas was denied bond in a court hearing Thursday morning.

Shane Clifton Collett, 40, is charged with kidnapping, murder and concealing the body of 9 year-old Skylar Dials. Collett's defense attorneys argued before Superior Court Judge Tommy Hawkinson that Collett has never before faced any criminal charges and is not a risk to leave the jurisdiction and evade prosecution.

However, Hawkinson sided with the argument by Griffin Circuit District Attorney Scott Ballard, that Collett poses a threat to flee the area.

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/20550613/accused-child-murderer-in-court

20550932_BG2.jpg

SPALDING COUNTY, Ga. - A man charged with murdering his young neighbor was denied bond by a Spalding County judge on Thursday.

Shane Collett's lawyer tried to convince the judge to ban cameras from the court room. Apparently, he didn't want television viewers to see the murder and kidnapping suspect in jail clothes.

Collett, 40, was charged in December for the murder of his neighbor and family friend, 9-year old Skylar Dials. District Attorney Scott Ballard says further autopsy results are needed to determine if she was sexually assaulted, which if true, would add more charges.

Ballard says they now know how she died.

"I need to be a little careful with what I say. But it appears that she was choked to death," said Ballard.

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/20550932/man-charged-with-murder-of-spalding-co-girl-due-in-court

As a 'Georgia girl' myself, I'm so saddened to see this case. I had missed it originally but it caught my eye because it happened in Georgia. FYI, Georgia still does have the death penalty. Someone had asked this question upthread, I think.

RIP, sweet Skylar.

As a 'Georgia girl' myself, I'm so saddened to see this case. I had missed it originally but it caught my eye because it happened in Georgia. FYI, Georgia still does have the death penalty. Someone had asked this question upthread, I think.

RIP, sweet Skylar.

Oh Beli... it just goes on and on.. This case reminds me so much of Somer. RIP sweet Skylar.

Oh Beli... it just goes on and on.. This case reminds me so much of Somer. RIP sweet Skylar.

It does... Taken by someone so close to home, found discarded with a pile of 'rubbish'.

My own 10-yr-old DS came in soon after leaving to walk the dog yesterday and when I asked, "Why are you back so soon?", he said that he was followed by two men in our neighborhood (he was probably less than a block away). In retrospect, I should have gone out and asked him where it happened, etc., and maybe called the police. I could then have seen if the men were still there, if they were maintenance workers for our complex, or someone loitering. But I'm sick with the flu and never bothered.

I asked him to go out again this morning and walk the dog (he's being homeschooled for now), and he took a spare cell phone and talked with me the entire time. He didn't go far b/c the dog wasn't cooperating (it was more like taking the dog for a drag, he said), so they came back early again.

It saddens and angers me that we can't let our children walk around the block or to a neighbors house or from school without fear of them being harmed.

The FB page for Skyler say the trial was postponed until spring. Apparently there is another trial in front of it.

https://www.facebook.com/RIPSkylarDials

I couldn't find any news source with information.

Just looking to see if the trial ever started but it seems as if it's been postponed numerous times and the newest start date is January 26, 2015.

Let's get justice for Skylar!

Checking for the trial date! Thanks, MamaJoJo!

I think the trial began within the last few days, or so it seems. The Grip, a local independent newspaper, has updates on their FB page stating that the trial is now at the closing arguments stage and that jury deliberations may begin as early as today (!).

https://www.facebook.com/thegripnews/timeline

Collett murder trial underway in Spalding County Superior Court

He (the defense attorney) said Collett was present when Dials died, but contended the girl’s death was unintentional – a tragic accident.

“He carried her to a burn pile and placed her in there. She probably died around noon and her body wasn’t found until around 2 a.m.,” he said. “He left her there and went back home – a tragedy in itself. What I want you to do is divide what happened after death.”

Weldon then told jurors Dials entered the bedroom of his Yarborough Mill Road residence as he was sleeping.

“She came into his bedroom. He startled, he stumbled and they fell to the floor of his bedroom,” he said.

http://the-grip.net/2015/01/28/collett-murder-trial-underway-in-spalding-county-superior-court/

What BS. His brother is posting on The Grip FB page that it was a tragic accident, too. I call BS on both of them. And I'm sure the jury will agree.

ETA: What? You fell to the floor with your hands around her little neck? My God! You may be slow Mr. Collett but none of us are. Rot, rot, rot.

http://the-grip.net/2015/01/28/collett-murder-trial-underway-in-spalding-county-superior-court/

What BS. His brother is posting on The Grip FB page that it was a tragic accident, too. I call BS on both of them. And I'm sure the jury will agree.

ETA: What? You fell to the floor with your hands around her little neck? My God! You may be slow Mr. Collett but none of us are. Rot, rot, rot.

I saw that when I was over there reading! I can't believe this isn't being covered by any other news source and this one isn't giving any more details.

They may release more details now. I'm glad justice has finally been served.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jess9976
Back