GA - Suspicion over heat death of Cooper, 22 mo., Cobb County, June 2014, #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't most children this age know how to unbuckle their seats and how to open a car door, even unlock it? I would imagine, if the child was asleep when dad got to work and woke up either from door being closed, or later when the nap was finished and the car was hot, the child would try to unbuckle and get out at that point. I am guessing he was already passed before being put in the car, and maybe livor mortis (am I spelling it right?) showed he wasn't in that position until some time after death. Whatever the cause, I hope it was quick with no suffering!

No, and that's really why it's so dangerous. Most car seats for kids that age can't be unlatched by a child. You stick them in there, and they're tied down and can't move. Which I guess, is generally safer than having kids keep getting out of their car seats on the highway - which is what would happen if kids were able to unlatch themselves.

Thank you for this gngr!

So that clears up the two vs one kid thing. One child. No other child dropped at daycare that morning.

“We expect this coming week the Cobb County Medical Examiner’s office to determine, along with input from Cobb County Police Department’s Crimes Against Persons Unit, to really validate the manner and cause of death,” Pierce said. “Our two agencies will be working together to confirm that.”

http://mdjonline.com/bookmark/25336189-Police-Much-more-to-Harris-case

That seems fast to me. I would have expected them to wait for toxicology, unless they can rush it that much?

“That was the information relayed to me by detectives (at the scene) and that has turned out to be false,” Pierce said.

http://mdjonline.com/bookmark/25336189-Police-Much-more-to-Harris-case

I am tagging this info because months from now we could be digging back through old articles and I want this info easily found.

I wonder what else was "relayed" to him that also turned out to be a compete fabrication? During the time they were deciding to place this man in handcuffs and charge him with murder.

No, and that's really why it's so dangerous. Most car seats for kids that age can't be unlatched by a child. You stick them in there, and they're tied down and can't move. Which I guess, is generally safer than having kids keep getting out of their car seats on the highway - which is what would happen if kids were able to unlatch themselves.

Definitely. My five year old is still in a 5 point seat. Those things are made to not allow kids to unlatch.

I suppose older ones (like a family saving a seat from an older child, or getting an older one from a friend) could unlatch easier, though.

I wonder what else was "relayed" to him that also turned out to be a compete fabrication? During the time they were deciding to place this man in handcuffs and charge him with murder.

That's an awful lot to assume. By all accounts he was hysterical, erratic, and had to be subdued. Have you tried to get information out of a hysterical person. They EASILY could have thought he said that.

They aren't going to call something false, until they validate it that way. They did, so they updated the information.

I don't see any grand conspiracy against the father here.

From all accounts, LE and citizen witnesses, the man was distraught and very talkative. From LE accounts he had to be restrained so that first reponders could even attempt to work on his son.

When people are discombobulated they may say things all in a rush and things come out very jumbled.

I can only assume something this father said to initial officers onscene led them to believe there was a second child.

Back up on the :fence: I go officially til I hear the evidence.

like minds blue :)

That's an awful lot to assume. By all accounts he was hysterical, erratic, and had to be subdued. Have you tried to get information out of a hysterical person. They EASILY could have thought he said that.

They aren't going to call something false, until they validate it that way. They did, so they updated the information.

I don't see any grand conspiracy against the father here.

I don't see any grand conspiracy - I see that in the initial time when the spotlight was on the dad and he was in handcuffs and the decision was made to charge him with murder, they were operating with very little information.

And now, his wife has been told not to speak out and he's in jail until at least July 15.

And the autopsy is "complete" (although we know tox tests can't be back yet) and they're not releasing that either. Just veiled 'if you only knew what we know' type statements.

I'm just always more comfortable when more information is released to the public, as in cases in Florida where the public has a right to know what the legal system is doing.

I don't see any grand conspiracy - I see that in the initial time when the spotlight was on the dad and he was in handcuffs and the decision was made to charge him with murder, they were operating with very little information.

And now, his wife has been told not to speak out and he's in jail until at least July 15.

And the autopsy is "complete" (although we know tox tests can't be back yet) and they're not releasing that either. Just veiled 'if you only knew what we know' type statements.

I'm just always more comfortable when more information is released to the public, as in cases in Florida where the public has a right to know what the legal system is doing.

They aren't obligated to share information in this very new, and active investigation. They said manner and cause of death will come out this week.
In cases where the public is not at risk, it's really not uncommon for little information to be out there, so close to the time of the crime. (Or alleged, however one prefers.)

The way I look at it, MOST law enforcement are good people, and MOST people suspected of harming their child actually did. I am willing to trust in LE and their discretion, unless proof comes out that they wrongfully charged him. There are plenty of cases where it's obvious that what the parent is saying, is not the truth and immediate evidence suggests a criminal act.

**I've read that they actually cuffed him, because he was hysterical, interrupting and interfering EMS and police in their efforts.

Yes, I think Florida cases have us spoiled!

I agree! I've grown increasingly uncomfortable when people are charged with crimes and the public doesn't deserve to know why. If he weren't charged with a crime, I'd say that's all fine, investigate what needs to be investigated.

I just think the Sunshine laws are great. Clear public accountability and open records lead to less graft, IMHO.

They aren't obligated to share information in this very new, and active investigation. They said manner and cause of death will come out this week.
In cases where the public is not at risk, it's really not uncommon for little information to be out there, so close to the time of the crime. (Or alleged, however one prefers.)

The way I look at it, MOST law enforcement are good people, and MOST people suspected of harming their child actually did. I am willing to trust in LE and their discretion, unless proof comes out that they wrongfully charged him. There are plenty of cases where it's obvious that what the parent is saying, is not the truth and immediate evidence suggests a criminal act.

**I've read that they actually cuffed him, because he was hysterical, interrupting and interfering EMS and police in their efforts.

I think that sometimes happens in cases where people are hysterical - what happened next, is they took him to jail where he has been since.

THAT is the part that doesn't happen when people are cuffed because they are beside themselves with grief and are making it a little difficult to administer medical attention to a victim. That's the part that has me curious.

We'll see - there may be a very clear smoking gun here. In my experience, when that happens they call a press conference and indicate what that is.

In my experience, when they are silent and don't release information, it's often very murky waters.

I agree! I've grown increasingly uncomfortable when people are charged with crimes and the public doesn't deserve to know why. If he weren't charged with a crime, I'd say that's all fine, investigate what needs to be investigated.

I just think the Sunshine laws are great. Clear public accountability and open records lead to less graft, IMHO.

It's totally JMO, but I wonder if they don't want anyone in the family, friends, coworkers to know his story right now. If people saw or spoke to him the day of at some point, perhaps LE thinks the difference in their scenarios is really important. Easier to establish that, when they haven't been tainted by news.

[/B]

I think that sometimes happens in cases where people are hysterical - what happened next, is they took him to jail where he has been since.

THAT is the part that doesn't happen when people are cuffed because they are beside themselves with grief and are making it a little difficult to administer medical attention to a victim. That's the part that has me curious.

We'll see - there may be a very clear smoking gun here. In my experience, when that happens they call a press conference and indicate what that is.

In my experience, when they are silent and don't release information, it's often very murky waters.

I suspect they cuffed him to get him out of the way, and when they were able to see the state of the body vs. his story...they decided to take him in.

I don't consider mostly silence in an active investigation of a child death, very murky. Perhaps, that's because I'm used to it. Here, we have a child death and you pretty much know nothing until well after an arrest.

**In the Cherish Perrywinkle case, I was so stunned at how much information was released! Totally different from what I'm used to. I also like that kind of transparency, but it's not the norm most places...unfortunately.

It's totally JMO, but I wonder if they don't want anyone in the family, friends, coworkers to know his story right now. If people saw or spoke to him the day of at some point, perhaps LE thinks the difference in their scenarios is really important. Easier to establish that, when they haven't been tainted by news.

Yes, that's possible. Meanwhile, though, the witnesses who were strangers at the scene have appeared to change their perception of his behavior, based on the knowledge that LE has indicated they have clear evidence that he is not telling the truth.

I wonder how that perception will also taint the other witness observations -

I suspect they cuffed him to get him out of the way, and when they were able to see the state of the body vs. his story...they decided to take him in.

I don't consider mostly silence in an active investigation of a child death, very murky. Perhaps, that's because I'm used to it. Here, we have a child death and you pretty much know nothing until well after an arrest.

**In the Cherish Perrywinkle case, I was so stunned at how much information was released! Totally different from what I'm used to. I also like that kind of transparency, but it's not the norm most places...unfortunately.

I guess I'm used to the opposite. We've had a long history of public mistrust of the police department (warranted, in many cases) and now we have a police chief whose main goal with the job is to reestablish public trust. To that end, when there is a public controversy he is out front, showing video, releasing autopsies, etc., and taking questions from the public on the radio. I've grown used to a police department that steps forward and answers public concerns very openly. If there is a case that's a mystery and there is no named suspect, that's certainly a case where secrecy in the investigation would be warranted.

if this case happened here in Austin, the police chief would be front and center indicating why this doesn't appear to be an accident. It's just what I've grown used to.

Yes, that's possible. Meanwhile, though, the witnesses who were strangers at the scene have appeared to change their perception of his behavior, based on the knowledge that LE has indicated they have clear evidence that he is not telling the truth.

I wonder how that perception will also taint the other witness observations -

Yeah, I think I worry about that in every public case!

Isn't it odd, but when there's something off in the story, (like the grandma and little girl at KFC) people just have a feel for it. Something ain't right, that's not the way a person would tell the story, or whatever. That internal feeling I guess. I sure most LE has it, especially after serving for a while, just like most mothers on earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member