GA - Suspicion over heat death of Cooper, 22 mo., Cobb County, June 2014, #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just curious. Have any of you ever heard of someone getting in their car and driving away before they discover a child in the backseat dead? I don't think I've ever heard that before. I personally have only heard of cases where it's discovered at the time the parent returns to the car after work etc or a passerby discovers it.

Even if it was a van with two back seats and the child was in the last seat I would notice it and I'm pretty absent minded. However I always make it a point to look in my car before I get in anyway.

Strange, this situation is strange to me.

I don't look in my backseat when I get in my car. My guess is, he glanced in his rear view mirror and saw Cooper there once he was on the road.

I don't look in my backseat when I get in my car. My guess is, he glanced in his rear view mirror and saw Cooper there once he was on the road.

When I get out of my car I always do a look around to make sure I have actually closed all the windows and locked the doors! Habit of decades...started with my parents I guess when we kids were all little - long before power locks and windows. And power lock switches do fail, so I still check.....

I guess I'm used to the opposite. We've had a long history of public mistrust of the police department (warranted, in many cases) and now we have a police chief whose main goal with the job is to reestablish public trust. To that end, when there is a public controversy he is out front, showing video, releasing autopsies, etc., and taking questions from the public on the radio. I've grown used to a police department that steps forward and answers public concerns very openly. If there is a case that's a mystery and there is no named suspect, that's certainly a case where secrecy in the investigation would be warranted.

if this case happened here in Austin, the police chief would be front and center indicating why this doesn't appear to be an accident. It's just what I've grown used to.

What bothers me about this situation is that the innuendo is stated so strongly, yet none of the related facts are provided. We have one member of LE saying that his conscience is shocked as a father and grandfather (paraphrasing) and all kinds of news reports that the father's story is riddled with inconsistencies, yet zero information about what's so shocking and what those inconsistencies might be. Why not just investigate and keep quiet on the innuendo until then. As others have mentioned, it's clear that the public isn't in danger. jmo

I have no opinion one way or the other at this point in time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know I'm 62 and my Dad taught me many many many years ago to always look in my vehicle before I got in... safety. Funny how that has continued to even now in my life. Thanks Dad.

I just read the article in post #339. The story in the comments of the professional business woman in Australia tells exactly how this could happen. So tragic all this is ...

What bothers me about this situation is that the innuendo is stated so strongly, yet none of the related facts are provided. We have one member of LE saying that his conscience is shocked as a father and grandfather (paraphrasing) and all kinds of news reports that the father's story is riddled with inconsistencies, yet zero information about what's so shocking and what those inconsistencies might be. Why not just investigate and keep quiet on the innuendo until then. As others have mentioned, it's clear that the public isn't in danger. jmo

I agree. Either tell the evidence or keep quiet. I really am so uncomfortable with making the public feel that they have shocking solid evidence of murder.

I'm also uncomfortable with the statement "we can't confirm the child was in the car at 9 am". That's an incredibly prejudicial statement and sort of indicates they have some reason to believe he was NOT in the car. Rather, the fact may be that they don't have any corroborating evidence whatsoever that he was in the car. (Due to the Mom already being at work, no one saw him in the car, no cameras were available that could see into the car, etc.)

It just seems wrong to make such strong damning statements so very vaguely.

Also of concern, the medical examiner Brian Frist has been the subject of a very public outcry of incompetence in Cobb County in April, and his case will apparently be decided in July. And it's up to him at this point - in the middle of all these public concerns - to determine cause of death in this case. Hm.

I agree. Either tell the evidence or keep quiet. I really am so uncomfortable with making the public feel that they have shocking solid evidence of murder.

I'm also uncomfortable with the statement "we can't confirm the child was in the car at 9 am". That's an incredibly prejudicial statement and sort of indicates they have some reason to believe he was NOT in the car. Rather, the fact may be that they don't have any corroborating evidence whatsoever that he was in the car. (Due to the Mom already being at work, no one saw him in the car, no cameras were available that could see into the car, etc.)

It just seems wrong to make such strong damning statements so very vaguely.

Bolded and Underlined above by me and I totally agree!

Honestly, I don't know what to hope for...
An accident where the suffering was prolonged & tortuous.
Or the possibility of a murder that came swiftly, like from blunt force trauma to the head that rendered the child unconscious.

The thought of a child suffering in a hot car...

Either way, it's horrible.

I'm just curious. Have any of you ever heard of someone getting in their car and driving away before they discover a child in the backseat dead? I don't think I've ever heard that before. I personally have only heard of cases where it's discovered at the time the parent returns to the car after work etc or a passerby discovers it.

Even if it was a van with two back seats and the child was in the last seat I would notice it and I'm pretty absent minded. However I always make it a point to look in my car before I get in anyway.

Strange, this situation is strange to me.

Yes actually, over the years many parents in this situation have actually driven to the daycare or babysitters house to pick up the child just to be told the child hadn't been there that day. Two stories that come to mind both parents went running to their cars and discovered them while still parked there at the daycare. . One other called the husband who was supposed to have dropped the child and he ran out and found him in his office parking lot. Apparently when this happens people really think they dropped the child off. Some even think they remember talking to the teacher that morning etc. In their minds the child is safe as they have been everyday before. One poor man who hadn't dropped his son off kept hearing his motion car alarm going off and every time he looked put the window he didn't see anyone messing with his car so he would disable the alarm. This happened 3 times. Of course when he found his son in the back seat strapped in he realized what it was. He was charged will manslaughter but acquitted. Most cases like this have ended in acquittals.

What I still don't understand is how he even got out of the parking lot before noticing. He didn't have any chance to look in the rear view mirror when he was leaving the parking lot or when he pulled into traffic? I would say within seconds of getting in my car, my eyes at least glance at the rearview mirror. My SUV is about the size of his, and I just can't see how it was possible that from the time getting in the vehicle, to leaving the parking lot he didn't catch a glance. Yet he pulled out of the parking lot, drove down 41, turned onto Akers Mill Road and THEN noticed, and pulled into the shopping center. 4PM, that area is busy... just still not sitting right with me.

LE officer said that this case shook him to his core (or something similar). I thought that the child was drugged, but would that really warrant that response? I think putting a child in a car intentionally would, but it sounds like the child was dead before then. Were there signs of abuse? He seems like a smart guy, why would he think that LE wouldn't catch bruises and broken bones? I really think the child was drugged, but perhaps the officer just became a grandfather, so he can't imagine anyone killing their child in anyway? Or maybe he thinks the child was drugged purposely to kill him, instead of giving him too much to put him to sleep?

Honestly, I don't know what to hope for...
An accident where the suffering was prolonged & tortuous.
Or the possibility of a murder that came swiftly, like from blunt force trauma to the head that rendered the child unconscious.

The thought of a child suffering in a hot car...

Either way, it's horrible.

Exactly the way I feel.

The possibility of leaving a child in the car just terrifies me. I'm scatterbrained and running in a million different directions most of the time.

This might be the first time I'm thankful I can't have children. I could not go on if I left my child in a car to suffer such a horrific death.

:(

In the article linked right above, it also mentions that LE said that he had dropped a second child off, but not this child. Then they later found out, he doesn't have a second child.

I really am going to have to wait to see more evidence.

Yes actually, over the years many parents in this situation have actually driven to the daycare or babysitters house to pick up the child just to be told the child hadn't been there that day. Two stories that come to mind both parents went running to their cars and discovered them while still parked there at the daycare. . One other called the husband who was supposed to have dropped the child and he ran out and found him in his office parking lot. Apparently when this happens people really think they dropped the child off. Some even think they remember talking to the teacher that morning etc. In their minds the child is safe as they have been everyday before. One poor man who hadn't dropped his son off kept hearing his motion car alarm going off and every time he looked put the window he didn't see anyone messing with his car so he would disable the alarm. This happened 3 times. Of course when he found his son in the back seat strapped in he realized what it was. He was charged will manslaughter but acquitted. Most cases like this have ended in acquittals.

Thank you so much. I had not heard of these before. This puts it in better perspective for me.

IF this child was in the car when Dad arrived at work- he would certainly have succumbed by noon. Right?

Now, from my experience as an RN- I know that when persons die, their bladder and bowels empty involuntarily most of the time- esp. if this child is sitting upright- gravity just takes over. (Sorry to be so blunt- I'm trying to make a point)

Next, imagine the smell of just a single wet diaper left in a car for seven or eight hours on a blisteringly hot day.

And yet, we are to believe he drove TWO MILES before 'noticing' anything?

Preposterous!

I agree as well! Very irresponsible. For one we already know that some initial facts stated by police were later discovered to be incorrect. For example the 2 children comment alluding Ross had remembered to drop one child off but not Cooper. This I believe was later repeated by the flight attendant witness to the paper so it circulated despite being incorrect. She didn't know it at the time but was just repeating what she heard at the scene.

The comment about shocking the conscience as a, police officer, father and grandfather was just as vague. I would think even if it was an accident seeing a child in that state would be shocking. A lot of the comments have lead the public to believe foul play is involved then they turn around and say its an on going investigation. I'm sure the fact there is a change.org petition to release the man as well as a defense fund applies a little pressure to LE and the DA but they should rise above it and put their ego at the door.

I've read elsewhere that the ME for Cobb is known to have made fatal errors in 3 big cases ( this could be rumor I have no knowledge of his history). I hope he is not led down the path of the police and what they speculate happened. I have nothing but respect for the police. I really do. That being said sometimes they have seen so much in their careers they assume they know what happened and it becomes human nature to look for only the evidence that supports their theory. It seems they might have made a rush to judgement in this case. If not I think we would have more information or at the very least the arrest would have taken longer. Just my opinion.

I don't knew what happened here. Both scenarios are horrible to think about but the autopsy should tell the story not statements given by a distressed man as his dead child lays on the pavement in front of him. Just me

"his words made it clear this was not just another case of a young life left and lost to heat exposure in a hot car.

"I've been in law enforcement for 34 years. What I know about this case shocks my conscience as a police officer, a father and a grandfather," said Pierce.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/21/us/toddler-car-death-probe/

Shocks his conscience as a police officer, a father and a grandfather.....

Moo that sounds like abuse possibly over some period of time.

All posts are my opinion only. Sent via Tapatalk

BBM. ITA. That statement makes it clear there is more here than an accident.

Very, very sad. I mentioned on another forum, there was a CSI episode several years ago where a father left his baby in the hot car and, being a CSI episode, it was determined that he had done so on purpose. I don't recall the ficitonal motive now, but I have to wonder if this father saw the same episode I am remembering.

BBM. ITA. That statement makes it clear there is more here than an accident.

Very, very sad. I mentioned on another forum, there was a CSI episode several years ago where a father left his baby in the hot car and, being a CSI episode, it was determined that he had done so on purpose. I don't recall the ficitonal motive now, but I have to wonder if this father saw the same episode I am remembering.

genetic defect

http://www.tv.com/shows/csi-crime-scene-investigation/feeling-the-heat-273257/

couple had lost baby previously - 2nd kid had same defect - left in car in Vegas both parents in on it of course

" A.D.A. Jeffrey Sinclair decides to 'make an example' of a workaholic father who forgot his baby-boy in his scorching-hot car with fatal result, but the team finds the couple lost a previous baby and may have murdered this one.'

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0534685/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl

If I recall the episode correctly - parents had spiked his formula - put him out.....left him in triple digit car.

What I still don't understand is how he even got out of the parking lot before noticing. He didn't have any chance to look in the rear view mirror when he was leaving the parking lot or when he pulled into traffic? I would say within seconds of getting in my car, my eyes at least glance at the rearview mirror. My SUV is about the size of his, and I just can't see how it was possible that from the time getting in the vehicle, to leaving the parking lot he didn't catch a glance. Yet he pulled out of the parking lot, drove down 41, turned onto Akers Mill Road and THEN noticed, and pulled into the shopping center. 4PM, that area is busy... just still not sitting right with me.

We also don't know what made him leave work at that time. Maybe he was under the weather? He didnt look as clean shaven in the mugshot as he did in other pictures. Clearly he was off his game if he did in fact leave the child in the car. The mother typically picked Cooper up. She worked part time. He might just have been thinking I want to get home to my bed. You just never know. Its hard to speculate given the little facts we have. What I cling to is the fact that not one bad thing can be found in this man's past. They even said that on HLN. Nothing in his past and friends and family have nothing but glowing statements about both he and his wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties