GA - Suspicion over heat death of Cooper, 22 mo., Cobb County, June 2014, #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I'm confuzzled.
How can the manner be considered consistent with homicide?
anyone??

The PIO answered that specifically at the press conference saying homicide meaning death caused by another.

Not necessary, I believe that it says that. I'm simply saying that if he didn't have HTML, CSS, Javascript, etc experience, he wouldn't have gotten the job of web developer. What the website says is one thing, but a corporation like Home Depot isn't teaching people how to become developers and how to write scripts. I was only saying that just because a job doesn't require a high school diploma doesn't mean it is entry level. The only requirement we have of our engineers is based on real world experience and references, and they make anywhere between $52K and $80K a year... while we may not require a certain education level, being able to perform the job is crucial. And most kids out of high school aren't writing complex scripts.

The job description does not list that under requirements...

Anyway, I doubt it's really important. I was just curious about the income vs. wanting a house ratio.

Harris Route Map

Thank you to whomever posted this originally. I figured dad stopped for breakfast on the way to work, but clearly he went PAST work for breakfast. Also, he said he pulled into the mall on his way home when he realized the baby was in the back? The mall is NOT on the drive home. Hmmmm.

His work is on Cumberland Pkwy maybe 500 meters from Chick-fil-A and he would not have to drive past there if he took the easiest route. What is point C on Windy Ridge Rd? Home is off Terrell Mill Rd. Most people who live and work in that area would not get on 285 interstate at rush hour. There are several alternate choices.

I am assuming the manner is being based on the other evidence that has been gathered re: father going to car during noon hour and alleged computer searches about how long it takes for animals to expire form heat exposure.

I find it unusual for ME to say homicide is the manner of death in a case such as this. I would tend to think that would be for the jury to decide and how can ME make a determination based on the body of homicide.

But the snip I provided is from Cobb County Police and not the ME personally so perhaps the ME says COD is hyperthermia and LE/DA say the manner of death is homicide based on both autopsy results AND their own investigation?

This is why I am so big on finding direct quotes from case players and LE involved. To avoid miscomunication or misinterpretation that happens when reporters paraphrase.

I am assuming the manner is being based on the other evidence that has been gathered re: father going to car during noon hour and alleged computer searches about how long it takes for animals to expire form heat exposure.

I find it unusual for ME to say homicide is the manner of death in a case such as this. I would tend to think that would be for the jury to decide and how can ME make a determination based on the body of homicide.

But the snip I provided is from Cobb County Police and not the ME personally so perhaps the ME says COD is hyperthermia and LE/DA say the manner of death is homicide based on both autopsy results AND their own investigation?

This is why I am so big on finding direct quotes from case players and LE involved. To avoid miscomunication or misinterpretation that happens when reporters paraphrase.

Juries don't determine manner of death.

Somewhere upthread, I attempted to quote the public information officer Bowman from the press conference. He specifically answered the manner of death question saying "homicide meaning death caused by another human being"

Yep. The murder charge is because sweet Cooper died during the commission of the neglect charge.

Similar to if I'm driving the getaway car during a robbery and someone is killed. I am charged with murder.

No way this person forgot Cooper during a 1 min drive to work.
I'm a little surprised dad wasn't charged with premeditation.
I also agree with whoever made a comment about the dad maybe throwing up when he tried to get Cooper out of the carseat. Did the so called dad throw up then toss water on the child?

Not necessary, I believe that it says that. I'm simply saying that if he didn't have HTML, CSS, Javascript, etc experience, he wouldn't have gotten the job of web developer. What the website says is one thing, but a corporation like Home Depot isn't teaching people how to become developers and how to write scripts. I was only saying that just because a job doesn't require a high school diploma doesn't mean it is entry level. The only requirement we have of our engineers is based on real world experience and references, and they make anywhere between $52K and $80K a year... while we may not require a certain education level, being able to perform the job is crucial. And most kids out of high school aren't writing complex scripts.

ETA-I just saw your edit, and I'm not familiar with how HD runs their in house development, so that very well may be the case. But in this economy, he probably took what he could find. I highly doubt the position pays minimum wage... and would imagine he probably does pretty well. I don't know many web developers that don't make a decent wage.

I believe you are 100% correct.
The best script writers IMO didn't complete formal training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RSBM
Agreed. I initially thought it was yet another tragic accident, but there's no way he forgot his son that he'd just had breakfast with in that short a time span. Sorry. Not buying it for a second now.

His biggest mistake was going to the auto at lunch. Will be hard to explain how he didn't notice the stench of his son's body. He might not be in the big mess if he pulled the child out at that point and used the same excuse. But once he went back to the auto and refused to acknowledge child was there the cards started falling.

It doesn't seem like a very well thought out plan either. Wonder what was going on in marriage/life to cause him to snap.

DTAOOC. MOO.

Somewhere upthread, I attempted to quote the public information officer Bowman from the press conference. He specifically answered the manner of death question saying "homicide meaning death caused by another human being"

agreed. 100%

I was speaking to a post that questioned how MOD could be arrived at by the Medical Examiner. ie. How can someone make a physical finding about MOD when the COD is hyperthermia. It would suggest the ME is considering motive and other things aside from the physical evidence.

The snipped portion that stemmed that discussion was not a direct quote from the ME but was a paraphrasing of information about this case and the COD/MOD.

I'm a little surprised dad wasn't charged with premeditation.
I also agree with whoever made a comment about the dad maybe throwing up when he tried to get Cooper out of the carseat. Did the so called dad throw up then toss water on the child?

I was just explaining why the first degree felony was dropped. With the evidence at this time, they don't have enough to prove premeditation. They have said they have not found a motive so far. It does not mean they don't believe this was premeditated, and I guarantee you they will look at everything to determine that. They just can't charge him with the first degree, if they don't have the proof now.

The job description does not list that under requirements...

Anyway, I doubt it's really important. I was just curious about the income vs. wanting a house ratio.

Glassdoor for Home Depot shows the position of IT Developer 1 making @$61k, IT Developer 2 @69K and Sr Developer at @$87K. Now, that's a national average, but I would guess he wasn't doing too bad.

Now I'm confuzzled.
How can the manner be considered consistent with homicide?
anyone??

I think that's a very fair call. I don't see how an ME can call is homicide if he is not sitting on the jury. Some things are homicide clearly - others can be consistent with homicide.

To call this homicide is finding Harris guilty of murder, and I really don't believe that's appropriate.

Hyperthermia consistent with homicide sounds very fair and accurate to me.

ETA-I just saw your edit, and I'm not familiar with how HD runs their in house development, so that very well may be the case. But in this economy, he probably took what he could find. I highly doubt the position pays minimum wage... and would imagine he probably does pretty well. I don't know many web developers that don't make a decent wage.

I was just basing off the senior developers salary. The average (from what I can find online) is 73,000, That requires a degree, 7 years minimum experience and of course many other qualifications. I wondered what a position that does not require higher education or experience (and what I think in their specific company is considered entry level) makes compared to that. It would seem much less.

His biggest mistake was going to the auto at lunch. Will be hard to explain how he didn't notice the stench of his son's body. He might not be in the big mess if he pulled the child out at that point and used the same excuse. But once he went back to the auto and refused to acknowledge child was there the cards started falling.

It doesn't seem like a very well thought out plan either. Wonder what was going on in marriage/life to cause him to snap.

DTAOOC. MOO.

Are you aware that LE doesn't think this was a "plan" - but rather, horribly neglectful thought processing that ended in a death for neglectful care?

Hi everyone...been a while since I have chimed in on anything but I just had to make the one observation that keeps going around and around in my mind....I have raised 3 boys and now have a 3 year old granddaughter, from the moment they all started chattering and then talking they never hushed in the car unless it was nap time which was not before 9 am. I just cannot imagine the child being so quiet that dad forgot him. Of course he could have fell asleep but in the few minutes from Chik Fila to work I say no way. Such another tragic story of a child dying at the hands of one that should love him the most! :please::please:

DTAOOC. MOO.

It kind of makes me wonder why he didn't. There is something about that that seems odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlyimagine