GA - Suspicion over heat death of Cooper, 22 mo., Cobb County, June 2014, #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if it's just me...but I would NEVER forgive my husband. "Accident" or not.

I love my husband, but I'd want to literally kill him if he left my child in a hot car to die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're not alone in that sentiment. My primary responsibility in life is caring for my son - above any and all other responsibilities.
It's the wanton disregard that blows my mind. Forgetting the baby in the car for five minutes is an accident: Beyond that, imo, it's reprehensible dereliction of parenting duty.

Via Kindle, like a true Amazon junkie

Out of 44 heatstroke deaths in 2013, 24 were under 2 years old.

I am still looking at the other years.
I was trying to find some statistics from 1980-1990, I can't locate anything.

Keeping in mind, the rear facing until 2 is more recent. I looked at all heatstroke deaths under 2. I started going through individual statistics (I stopped at 2007,) until I found a general statistic that just over half of all heat stroke deaths since 1998 have been children under 2 years. I don't see anything in these numbers that convince me that rear facing is the issue. A lot of the children under two in the past years, would have been front facing.

2013 - 44 deaths, 24 under 2 years
2012- 34 deaths, 16 under 2
2011-33, 18 under 2
2010- 49, 21 under 2
2009 - 33, 20
2008- 43,23
2007-36,22

Yeah.
I couldn't wait for my own to talk, I encouraged it, talked to him all the time...I was rewarded, in abundance. My kid talked very very early...by the age of 22 months...I swear my ears would bleed. He Talked non stop, all the time, and especially in the car.

In my experience, most kids that age, even when you have no idea what they're saying half the time...have lots to say! Especially considering the child had just eaten, he was wide awake and raring to go...

All IMO

Yes, my girls became chatty cathy in the car... they never shut-up lol.

I think we will hear something in a few days when the tox report comes back.
What does SSBBM mean? I get the bbm part. :)
RSBM

SABBM ---Snipped And Bolded By Me :)

I guess it's just BBM if quoting someone and highlighting something.

If her intent was to grab files and leave quickly when she got out of her car, then SHE KNEW HER BABY WAS IN THAT CAR when she left it. She didn't "forget" about the baby until after she got inside. It is illegal and morally reprehensible to KNOWINGLY leave an infant alone in a car, even if it is locked....even if it is "just for 5 minutes."

I know you intended for this cautionary tale about your beloved mentor to engender sympathy, but I find this woman repugnant and lacking in priorities. Take 30 seconds to unbuckle your baby and take him with you, for Christ's sake! Is that so hard? What a selfish woman! You would have been better off claiming that she thought she dropped her baby off because of the "extra stop" or "unexpected change in routine" that supporters of this dad keep spouting off about.

Daum gal.... :clap:

I was referring to small children being forced to ride in the backseat. (not that the passenger seat was ever "safe")
1998 air bags were required.
Which put all small children in the backseat,
sadly some were out of sight out of mind.
I just can't help but think the rise in children dying in cars is related.

However I see some deaths were from children who crawled in trunks, unlocked cars etc... so I may be way off in my thinking.
"Since 1998, front air bags have been standard equipment required in all passenger cars."
http://www.dmv.org/how-to-guides/side-air-bags.php

I'm still unsure regarding the intent issue and I don't think they have evidence to support it. Doesn't add up. Other than an Internet search that they don't know (as of now) when it was entered, there is nothing to imply his actions were calculated or premeditated as far as causing his sons death. Taking him to breakfast just to kill him? And taking him inside the restaurant to be seen with him to boot. Now if they hadn't paid the daycare bill and couldn't afford to pay it so Ross decided to keep in the car and he fed him to keep him happy and leave him to sleep thinking he would be ok that would almost make more sense. Everything just seems so senseless and far removed from this man's known character. I just keep thinking it had to have been an accident and like a fool he didnt want to admit to people he left the kid in the car and that he died on his watch. If the child is already dead and you are the only one who knows you can try to convince yourself of anything. Clearly he wouldn't have been in his right mind. His actions at the scene at the very least reflect a desperate man filled with fear,anger and at times sorrow. I think he should go to jail I just can't get on board with him setting out to purposely kill his child. If this was a man with a plan I highly doubt he would be flipping out on police to the point of them having to cuff him and out him in a car for close to 90 mins ( as reported I believe on JVM). I think there are dozens of ways he could have harmed Cooper if he was set on doing so that would have been less traumatic and severe than this.

Perhaps they should have left the dad to sit in the police car for... say... 7 hours?

Taking him to breakfast bothers me.
I believe his mom has a background in nutrion.
I haven't checked to see if she has a license in GA, but if that is indeed her profession, taking him to breakfast and then leaving him in car to die, takes on a whole new perspective.
moo

I was referring to small children being forced to ride in the backseat. (not that the passenger seat was ever "safe")
1998 air bags wew required.
Which put all small children in the backseat,
sadly some were out of sight out of mind.
I just can't help.but think the rise in children dying in cars is related.

However I see some deaths were from children who crawled in trunks, unlocked cars etc... so I may be way off in my thinking.
Since 1998, front air bags have been standard equipment required in all passenger cars.*
http://www.dmv.org/how-to-guides/side-air-bags.php

I think forward facing in the back seat of safe vehicle is better. Especially for an almost two year old.
Most people feed their children in the car ...with their busy hectic schedules. I would feel better if a parent could keep an eyeball on them, talk to them, see their face in the rear view mirror.
Seems psychologically wrong to have a child face a seat.

I think forward facing in the back seat of safe vehicle is better. Especially for an almost two year old.
Most people feed their children in the car ...with their busy hectic schedules. I would feel better if a parent could keep an eyeball on them, talk to them, see their face in the rear view mirror.

I am with you there. I hated my preemie having to ride backwards, but at least I had the apnea monitor. It did go off in traffic twice.
I just have a bad taste for backward facing.
If I were younger I probably would be fine with it.
I got set in my ways..

Also - unless the child had fallen asleep during the 1 1/2 mile ride to the office - my toddlers always had lots to say in the car and ESPECIALLY if I were getting out of the car. Can you imagine a 22 month old watching his Dad exit the vehicle and not saying a word? Again, I realize he *could* have fallen asleep but that is a very short distance....this is one of those instances where we all keep trying to put the known facts into some scenario that makes sense and it is not working....imho

That one guy did, that's true.

I'm looking at this in its totality. This is a dad who by all accounts is a wonderful guy, there don't seem to be any issues with him or his family, and it seems clear to me he couldn't have seen the baby in the back seat at lunch.

Shortly after driving off in his car, he clearly noticed something was VERY wrong and pulled off the road into the mall parking lot.

It's surprising to me sometimes what people do not notice. It's surprising to me what people can forget and be unaware of.

But to me, the other scenarios are more implausible. That this loving father purposely killed his child, or that he went to the car and noticed his child was dead and then went back to work for 4 hours and staged that he THEN found him dead (as opposed to finding him dead at noon which would be fully as incriminating - so working for 4 hours and then staging the exact same outcome doesn't make sense).

Those scenarios are MORE implausible than the one where he bizarrely forgot his child (in one of the major scenarios of kidsandcars, adding a stop to his routine) and also didn't see him in the back seat facing backwards at noon, and then it took him short while to smell the smell when he drove away at four.

When I have to consider what seems the most plausible, accidentally forgetting him, not noticing him at noon and then driving off and not noticing a smell for a minute or two is the most plausible.

You have to work too hard - in my opinion - to make the other situations rational.

When I get into my car in a hot parking lot, I immediately roll down the windows to cool it down. If he was driving that way, the odor might have been blown out, and only when he STOPPED did it become overbearing.

of.

When I have to consider what seems the most plausible, accidentally forgetting him, not noticing him at noon and then driving off and not noticing a smell for a minute or two is the most plausible.

You have to work too hard - in my opinion - to make the other situations rational.

But what are the chances that the father just HAPPENED to google "Animals dying in cars" or "How long it takes for an animal to die in a car?" - I believe this MAY prove to be the smoking gun in this case....imho

Keep thinking here.....

I wonder what time he normally goes to work? Who starts work at 9am in a corporate office? I think he went in later so no one would notice the baby in the car.

Chik-fil-a....I wonder how often he stopped and fed him on the way to work each? Maybe he did this to play on sympathy. Like "oh look he's such a great father they had bonding time for breakfast".

Picking up....I'm also curious to see what time Mom usually picks the baby up. Also why she didn't this day?

I think it all plays into his plan and will come out in court.

It will be interesting to here the normal routine. It is strange nothing from the family at all.

Also - unless the child had fallen asleep during the 1 1/2 mile ride to the office - my toddlers always had lots to say in the car and ESPECIALLY if I were getting out of the car. Can you imagine a 22 month old watching his Dad exit the vehicle and not saying a word? Again, I realize he *could* have fallen asleep but that is a very short distance....this is one of those instances where we all keep trying to put the known facts into some scenario that makes sense and it is not working....imho

I have been thinking about this awhile.... my girls always talked to me in the car but then I always talked to them too. I am sure the same is true with everyone here. Maybe he didn't engage Cooper and so Cooper didn't really talk to him in the car. idk

When I get into my car in a hot parking lot, I immediately roll down the windows to cool it down. If he was driving that way, the odor might have been blown out, and only when he STOPPED did it become overbearing.

I don't think the smell of death just evacuates from a window rolling down. And certainly, if LE could immediately smell it, obviously that is not the case here.

But in the car, it's been beyond proven hat rear facing until certain develop IS safer.

I wonder what time he normally goes to work? Who starts work at 9am in a corporate office? I think he went in later so no one would notice the baby in the car.

9am in a corporate office is not that strange, especially in IT. (Though 9am to 4pm is strange, even with no lunch break it's only 7 hours.)

I work for a large Fortune 50 company, and we have start times between 7am and 10:30 am. In my group, it's rare to have anyone in as 'early' as 9am.

Plus with IT they have to support things at all hours. If you have offices on east and west coast, but your IT is primarily on the east coast, it especially common to have a 'later' shift that can support people who are working on west coast time. If you want IT people around until 5pm on the west coast, that's 8pm on the east coast, and they have to come in later.

Throw in international operations and IT hours will run 24/7.

I don't know, you are working pretty hard.

Seemingly good people do terrible things all the time. The fact the he seemed like a good father means NOTHING. This is a week old. On top of all the evidence already found, they will have dirt on him. No one is perfect, and what he did happened for a reason.
I'm way behind, trying to catch up but needed to comment on this. BBM

I can't believe there are still people that think because friends, family, or neighbors think someone is a good person, great parent, wonderful family man, etc....means they aren't capable of something horrific.

If anyone is being honest with themselves, what is the most prominent thing we hear from people wrt people who commit murder, even serial killers?

**He/she was such a nice guy/gal, I can't believe it**

**He/she was a great neighbor, always helpful, and loved playing with the kids**

**I'm in shock. I never thought 'insertnamehere" would do something like this**

Every. Single. Case.

By the way, Ted Bundy and John Wayne Gacy were both pillars of their community, and described as pleasant, kind, nice, generous and NORMAL.

Until they weren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member