GA - Suspicion over heat death of Cooper, 22 mo., Cobb County, June 2014, #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The state will have to prove that he was aware and the defense will try and show that he wasn't aware. I'm not sure he was aware at this point.

JMO.

The state needs to prove that he should have been aware given the circumstances. That there is no reasonable explanation why he wasn't aware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to know if always parked in the same spot at work ( I know I do ) and if this day was parked in normal spot. I know my son and he'd be screaming if left alone.
I'm wondering if parked out away from others so wouldn't hear him. Or perhaps we will find out he was sedated.

A motive isn't necessary.

So any old motive as long as there is evidence. Please explain what evidence specifically would be enough to convince you the motive was proven.

I never said it was. I'm talking about my own personal feelings about it. A clear motive would go a long ways in how I see this case.

I have no idea what evidence LE has. They may have evidence of a clear motive. They may have zero evidence of a motive but other evidence that points towards JRH's guilt. I willing to wait and see.

JMO.

I wonder how he was at work that day. Did he contact his friends to get together after work that day? Or did his friends contact him?

I want to know this as well.

Hmmm.
I think that's it. I would love to hear what people say who have very harsh feelings toward him. Do you simply NOT BELIEVE it's possible to forget a child in that situation, and so no amount of family support, friends support, a squeaky clean past, no evidence whatsoever from anyone anywhere that he was unhappy as a dad will get you past that core believe that it's simply impossible - unlike the head injured person - for Harris to have forgotten.

(An aside, I wake myself up naturally in the morning at any time I want to, even at the crack of dawn, I have a perfect internal alarm clock. I don't use an alarm clock and never have. So I always have little patience with people who "oversleep" and miss things. Because somewhere in my mind I'm faulting them for doing it on purpose. I never do it. Why do these people need technology of an alarm or someone to come remind them to wake up? Same thing to me. I get forgetting something out of routine, I don't get people who can't remember to wake up.)

Anyway, Gitana, interesting question.

Respectfully snipped and bolded by me. I think you misunderstand some of our sentiments.

It's not that we don't believe it could happen, it COULD Happen. You know what else could happen?

• A child finds a key and sticks it into an electrical socket and electrocutes themselves.

A child walks out the front door of their home and wanders into traffic and gets hit by a car

A child tips head first into a toilet and drowns

A child falls down a flight of stairs and breaks his neck

A child gets into medicine left out and over doses on drugs

A child gets into cleaning supplies and dies from drinking bleach

A child tries to pull on the television set and topples the entire thing onto themselves

A child stumbles and falls into an opened dishwasher door and impales themselves on knives

A child walks up to the stove and pulls a pot of boiling water onto themselves and suffers third degree burns

Any number of these things could ALSO happen. But when they do we hold the parent entirely responsible for not watching their child.

When you STRAP A CHILD INTO A CAR SEAT you have an extra level of responsibility. This is not a child getting out of sight for a few minutes and an accident happening. You are physically restraining the child behind you in the car. What kind of sick parent doesn't take that responsibility seriously? There is absolutely no way for the child to survive this, bar a random stranger breaking the windows on a car.

No I don't have sympathy for a parent that puts their child in a situation where they are completely at the mercy of the simple memory of the parent and then the parent forgets them. I do not have sympathy for a parent who forgets a frickin' HUMAN BEING in the car. Especially when they probably didn't forget the cell phone.

What kind of human depravity have we reduced our parents to that the bare minimum of remembering your responsibility to your own child, is excused with sympathy? I seriously do not understand this way of thinking.

The bare minimum for a parent is remembering your child. We've lowered the bar so much, that the fact that this poor child was horrifically baked alive in a car, pales in comparison to the discomfort that some people feel because they slack off when taking care of their children. It's shocking to me. All parents who do this should be prosecuted.

This very case demonstrates why. There are people making excuses because they feel insecure about it possibly happening to them. IF that becomes the baseline of the evaluation of responsibility of a parent, children are at a loss.

Waking up late is NOT the same thing as abandoning a child to be baked alive for hours. Just remember the poor little girl who ripped out all her hair before she died in a situation like this. It is inexcusable.

Several posters have mentioned thinking he went back to the car to see if Cooper was still alive. I wasn't really buying into that (or rather wasn't fully understanding their logic), but given the 9:30 work arrival (per sw), the "around lunch" car visit could have been as early as 11 or 11:30. Is it possible that Cooper was still alive one and a half to two hours later? It wouldn't have been as hot before noon, right? RH couldn't go back to the car again until after work because that would be even more suspicious! But maybe the original "plan" had been to "discover" his accidental forgetfulness at that lunch car visit.

The state needs to prove that he should have been aware given the circumstances. That there is no reasonable explanation why he wasn't aware.

I don't agree it's been proven yet. That's just my opinion though.

Well, playing devils advocate and seeing the defense already being laid out at the funeral service....I'll say... He did sleep in his parents bed the two nights prior. Everyone was sleep deprived....he was cutting teeth..sick...something.
He didn't hear his son, because he's deaf in his right ear. ) bottle rocket mishap)

You'll be hearing that at trial.. Bank on it. IMO

How he's going to get around that foreshadowing float to his father about seeing Cooper on Jesus's lap.... Well, I hope ALL the jurors are smart enough to know psychics don't exist.

all IMO

All IMO

Yes there is that premonition!

The father was at the car three times, from two different sides of the car, a week after "having a bad feeling about this." and not once did he even LOOK towards the backseat?? I do not believe it.

He got out on the drivers side at 9:30am. He put an object IN from the driver's side at "lunchtime". He re-entered the car at 4:20 from the drivers' side.

Right? Or wrong?

Someone who is that forgetful would not be safe to be around, believe me......afriend of mine who is forgetful burned my house down by leaving the stove on. But he was 70, blind and senile. JMO

I am genuinely curious about the type of person who wouldn't feel guilty and beat themselves up about this, even if it WERE an unintentional accident. Clearly JRH does not feel any guilt and his supporters don't think that he should, as evidenced by the the applause (and JRH's verbal acceptance of it) at the funeral service.

10 years ago my husband earned a vacation for two to the Keys for meeting a sales quota at work. I didn't want to leave my 10 and 4-year-old sons in the care of my perfectly competent and loving MIL for 4 days, but hubby guilted me into it. After the reservations were made, I found out my youngest son's preschool was having an "invite your mom to lunch day" during our absence. I tried again to back out of the trip but at that point we would not have been able to get a refund and it was clear it would put a major strain on my marriage if I didn't buck up and go, so I asked my mother-in-law to attend the luncheon in my place and tearfully went of the trip.

Well, guess what? MIL forgot to show up. She didn't forget to take him to preschool and pick him up, she just forgot to show up for the luncheon. I am teary-eyed with guilt ten years later as I type this. Frankly, I am burning with shame just telling the story on an anonymous Internet forum. Every time I have thought about the incident for the past ten years, I have cried, even thought it wasn't much more than a minor annoyance for my son. My sons and husband initially teased me about it but they know better now due to the waterworks that would inevitably ensue. Sort of off-topic but I just don't understand people who don't feel accountability, guilt and regret. Is there something wrong with me?

He got out on the drivers side at 9:30am. He put an object IN from the driver's side at "lunchtime". He re-entered the car at 4:20 from the drivers' side.

Right? Or wrong?

I thought he put it in the passenger side

If the car windows had been left partly down I might consider this theory.

There is simply no way anyone would intentionally leave a kid or animal in the car with the windows rolled UP and the engine off in this weather UNLESS they were trying to kill them.

EXACTLY

(c) Any person commits the offense of cruelty to children in the second degree when such person with criminal negligence causes a child under the age of 18 cruel or excessive physical or mental pain.

A person convicted of the offense of cruelty to children in the second degree shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than ten years.

http://law.onecle.com/georgia/16/16-5-70.html

Had Cooper not died and the murder charge were off the table this is what his possible sentence would look like.

It appears to me that where we are differing in POVs on this case is

Criminal negligence is the reckless disregard of consequences, or a heedless indifference Cruelty to Children 23 Violence to the rights and safety of others, and a reasonable foresight that injury would probably result. Bohannon v. State, 230 Ga. App. 829 (1998).

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ug...y-to-children-in-the-second-degree-in-georgia

the underlined portions are what those who feel these charges are not appropriate are hung up on, because they steadfastly believe this was an accident - he forgot. Where the bold portion is where most of us are hung up on NOT being able to see this as an accident - he forgot.

What a reasonable person would do, think, believe or know.

for some those searches are just a cruel coincidence those poor folks were so worried about it, took no action to prevent and looky here it happened to them - how tragic.

for others those searches are proof positive that having researched it and having allegedly feared it they perhaps even more so than any other reasonable person should have known and been alert to the possibility and acted to prevent it.

Does the father's claim his dead son was choking make sense?

I posted a link back where early stages of decomposition were discussed, and one of the common things that happens in the hours prior to death is corpses burp and fart, often causing them to lurch a little.

Gross.

But really, it's believable he heard a choking sound. All this stuff - that sounds outrageous and unbelievable - isn't.

Right? Or wrong?

I think that's right, as has been reported.

adding to the speculation regarding the mom's statement about "Now Cooper won't have to endure the torments of the middle school and high school years. (My own words)"

1.) Possibly this comment was made while she attempted to find SOME kind of positive in such a dismal situation...

2.). I wonder if this is a "window into her psyche"...,does she consider herself a victim of unfair social treatment in her own Junior and Senior High School experiences?

Just some thoughts...

That really is bizarre. Statements made at the funeral referenced Ross being an amazing father to any future children. Those future child would face the same torments experienced during middle/high school.

I am genuinely curious about the type of person who wouldn't feel guilty and beat themselves up about this, even if it WERE an unintentional accident. Clearly JRH does not feel any guilt and his supporters don't think that he should, as evidenced by the the applause (and JRH's verbal acceptance of it) at the funeral service.

10 years ago my husband earned a vacation for two to the Keys for meeting a sales quota at work. I didn't want to leave my 10 and 4-year-old sons in the care of my perfectly competent and loving MIL for 4 days, but hubby guilted me into it. After the reservations were made, I found out my youngest son's preschool was having an "invite your mom to lunch day" during our absence. I tried again to back out of the trip but at that point we would not have been able to get a refund and it was clear it would put a major strain on my marriage if I didn't buck up and go, so I asked my mother-in-law to attend the luncheon in my place and tearfully went of the trip.

Well, guess what? MIL forgot to show up. She didn't forget to take him to preschool and pick him up, she just forgot to show up for the luncheon. I am teary-eyed with guilt ten years later as I type this. Every time I have thought about it for the past ten years, I have cried, even thought it wasn't much more than a minor annoyance for my son. Sort of off-topic but I just don't understand people who don't feel accountability, guilt and regret. Is there something wrong with me?

And that's what separates great parents from not so great ones. A parents guilt factor.

I still feel guilty all of these years later that I didn't buy my son a $20 balloon while we were at the zoo. What makes it worse, he handled it like a trooper. He didn't even cry but I know how much he really wanted it. It was a iguana and he was 4 and all into retiles.

To anyone reading this...our guilty feelings are unjustified. That doesn't stop us from feeling them.

All IMO

Don't most people leave at least one window open a bit on an extremely hot day? Take a look around any parking lot.

Of course, I don't live in an area where we have very many hot days (if it's 80 in July, we get all whiny about how hot it is), but we do leave one or more windows open on hot or hot-ish days. If he truly believed his car to be empty, wouldn't he have cracked the windows open a bit?

I do, but most don't. I also will walk a LONG way for the privilege of parking in a shady spot. Almost no one here leaves a window cracked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CATCHASE