GA - Suspicion over heat death of Cooper, 22 mo., Cobb County, June 2014, #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
:truce:
No offense to anyone intended...but if the picture/lamp posts are that bothersome, just read some other thread....like the one I started in the Jury Room about how things are disappearing from my house!:scared: :ghost:

That's spooky!

There's also an urgent case in Canada right now where a 5 year old boy is missing along with his grandparents. It's a scary case. I'm bouncing between that thread and this one right now.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248403&page=19

I hope so too. I was just thinking, if there had been a law in Georgia, maybe it would have been easier to charge RH? Even if he did forget... wouldn't matter.

A few weeks ago in Houston, a young woman left her baby in the car at a gas station while she went in to pay. The car was carjacked and the baby went missing for hours. It's so hot here, even at night. The car was eventually found with no baby inside.
She was found safe by a jogger the next morning. Still in her car seat, but not inside the car. I think a lot of people were relieved about that...

What do you mean easier to charge him? Did they have trouble?

Who can go through one hectic day without thinking of precious family members [often]? Those who lack empathy can do that but if you're so dang absent-minded as to allow your child's life to linger in an enclosed inferno for seven hours, there is medical treatment for that. If you researched hot car conditions associated with dying, then you are fully aware of the dangers and equipped with the knowledge to prevent such a horrendous event from occurring; Guilty of premed Murder 1; DP.

The problem with this, is that most people who defend forgetting your kid in the car will say that in his mind the child was in daycare. He could have thought of the child all day and even have spoken to his wife about him but if he thought he was in daycare it wouldn't have registered.

I'm intrigued by the lengths to which people will go to in order to defend this guy in this case. It's very telling to me that even with an arrest for murder people just don't want to hold him responsible. And the reason they don't is because of all the cases that happened before where the others were not arrested. When you only have a 50% conviction rate and you have men averaging 3 years in prison for doing this, then you are setting up a situation that is very dangerous to children.

This is why I believe that in every case the parent should be charged for negligence. Not murder but negligence. Yes people forget. We all forget things as parents, we all make mistakes as parents. Every single parent on this thread has some very bad and dangerous thing they did at one point with their child, either via laziness or desperation that could have resulted in the death of their child.

I remember one time leaving my children home alone when they were very little, during a severely cold snow storm and running up the street to pick up milk and cereal and diapers. I had left them for about 10 minutes and ran the entire way. They were both sitting in front of the television and I figured, 'it's safer to leave them here in this cozy warm apartment instead of dragging them out into the cold." They were watching morning cartoons and sitting on the couch. When I got back my 3 year old was in the bathroom with a can of shaving cream, a face full of shaving cream and a razor getting ready to go shave. :please::please: I'd like to say I never did it again, but I did do it again throughout the winter. I just put them both in their cribs before I left again. I was a single mom and had absolutely no baby sitting help and sometimes I took risks that I shouldn't have. I understand how it can happen.

However, it is negligence to do such things. It just is, and forgetting is not something that should ever be excused with a baby. When we start seeing an increase of parents "forgetting" their children in situations that will prove FATAL to the child, we don't sit back in sympathy and say "Oh well ship happens!!" We step up and say this cannot happen, it's too dangerous.

We need to raise the bar in safety, not lower it in sympathy. So parents who have small children should do things to make sure they don't forget their child. Even just writing on the side window of the car in grease paint, BABY!!! is one tiny thing that parents can do. And we shouldn't need car manufacturers and other people to solve that problem for parents. Parents need to be diligent about not ever putting their child in this type of situation. It's their responsiblity.

:twocents::twocents:

We need to raise the bar in safety, not lower it in sympathy.

Well argued, Chewy. Nice mantra that bears repeating.

yours too ?---

:truce:
No offense to anyone intended...but if the picture/lamp posts are that bothersome, just read some other thread....like the one I started in the Jury Room about how things are disappearing from my house!:scared: :ghost:

I don't know if they will ever disappear for good, but the scotch tape and the nail clippers have been on one helluva wild adventure in MY house for the last twenty years. :floorlaugh:

did you see the list of the 19 states that have laws against leaving kids in cars??

the one that I read for Texas was excellent - very straightforward you can be fined and if there is harm to the child there is jail time from 6 months to 2 yrs.

Georgia has no law yet.

Snipping for focus:
It's not a selfie, you can see the reflection of his wife taking the picture in the lamp behind him. Just something my obsessive observational skills noticed the first three seconds I looked at the picture. I told you all I have extreme detail abilities. LOL:blushing: You can even tell she's smiling in the reflection and see the camera phone she's holding up to take the picture turned sideways. (Stop Chewy!!! Stop it!!!)

Thank you for your observations re various photos

In pix w Cooper's head on dad's shoulder,
Mark/mole is chin is on dad's right side (viewer's left).

In some other pix I've seen the mark/mole is on dad's left side.

I'm not sure which pix are selfies and which are not. May not be important.

It doesn't seem like they had trouble charging him.

I just found the way some states word their laws regarding children unattended in cars to be more cut and dry, specific, and perhaps easier to enforce. It just seems that in some states, this particular type of child endangerment is more clearly defined.

We diffidently need something new to analyze. :)

Question, I probably forgot this answer. Did RH park outside, or inside?

We could always discuss the car windows, and when you walk by them. IDK

I have to wonder what will happen when they really rip apart the cell phones, comps and anything else electronic they have. I really wish they would have waited until there was time to do all that before arresting him. To me it seems to be a rush to arrest and not a well thought out case.

I hope so too. I was just thinking, if there had been a law in Georgia, maybe it would have been easier to charge RH? Even if he did forget... wouldn't matter.

A few weeks ago in Houston, a young woman left her baby in the car at a gas station while she went in to pay. The car was carjacked and the baby went missing for hours. It's so hot here, even at night. The car was eventually found with no baby inside.
She was found safe by a jogger the next morning. Still in her car seat, but not inside the car. I think a lot of people were relieved about that...

Just having a law in place - and having parking lot ''blitzes'' could be enough of a proactive measure to ''sober'' people up into realizing this is a driver's issue/responsibility.

It doesn't seem like they had trouble charging him.

I just found the way some states word their laws regarding children unattended in cars to be more cut and dry, specific, and perhaps easier to enforce. It just seems that in some states, this particular type of child endangerment is more clearly defined.

And to add my thoughts to your thought...

IMO, there is ALWAYS room for improvement to the ways laws are written as time goes on and information is found out.

While some may think GA laws are "just fine" just because this father has been charged, they may end up not being "just fine" if the system does not work out the way it should because of the wording in a law.

JMO and I hope my rambling made a tad bit of sense.

I want to know why Harris initially drove south rather than north towards his home when he left work. Was he heading south to meet up with his friends? If so, why turn around and go north again and stop in a shopping center? He had his phone with him. He could have pulled over anywhere and called 911.

I also want to know why he lied to LE when they asked him if his car had been left unattended all day. He said it had been, but they discovered that he returned to his car around lunch time, opened the door, and placed something inside the car.

Just having a law in place - and having parking lot ''blitzes'' could be enough of a proactive measure to ''sober'' people up into realizing this is a driver's issue/responsibility.

Now that's a great idea! Cops on downtime issuing citations and making arrests

IMOit should be illegal everywhere

I have to wonder what will happen when they really rip apart the cell phones, comps and anything else electronic they have. I really wish they would have waited until there was time to do all that before arresting him. To me it seems to be a rush to arrest and not a well thought out case.

Well, we don't know what they have.
They may have plenty for an arrest and just need the tech equipment to solidify the case.

I don't consider it a rush to arrest if they had what they needed to arrest him. They continue to build the case after the arrest.

I keep thinking of this statement:

“What I know about this case shocks my conscience as a police officer, a father, and a grandfather.”

IMO if it's enough to shock the conscience of this man, it may just be enough for a speedy arrest. Maybe the information is so damning, not arresting him quickly would have been the WRONG thing to do.

JMO

Sounds like the GA law is just fine then.

He is charged with Felony murder and Child Cruelty in the 2nd degree.

I think the other poster was discussing specific laws pertaining to leaving children in cars that could also be not only applied but used as a message to the public

"If you leave your child in the car, AT ALL EVER, for 2 minutes or hours while running in the store, there are laws against it. Specific laws. Other states have them, GA does not. That is what the OP was speaking too.

Laws sometimes serve as a way to create public awareness about a social problem, as they are a reaction to a particular pattern of behavior exhibited by members of the public.

And to add my thoughts to your thought...

IMO, there is ALWAYS room for improvement to the ways laws are written as time goes on and information is found out.

While some may think GA laws are "just fine" just because this father has been charged, they may end up not being "just fine" if the system does not work out the way it should because of the wording in a law.

JMO and I hope my rambling made a tad bit of sense.

Well put. Maybe if there was a defined law they would have seen it in their internet searches. That in itself goes back to wording though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties