GA GA - Timothy Cunningham, 35, Chamblee, 12 Feb 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. If Tim was promoted less than a year ago why would not getting this promotion be such a shock? Not that he didnt deserve it but is CDC advancement up the ranks usually this fast?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Because that one was a rank promotion for the USPHS and the one in February was not technically a promotion, it was a job he had applied for and did not get. His father clarified everything in the video in this article: http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/family-of-missing-cdc-worker-increases-reward-to-15k

Reward increased to $15,000.

cache.php
cache.php

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/family-of-missing-cdc-worker-increases-reward-to-15k

Such a handsome man with so many accomplishments! This case just doesn't make any sense. Where are you Tim?

He doesn't say anything we haven't already said...

I thought Gray Hughes added some insight because he showed TC's neighborhood and the areas where the searches have happened.

I'm ashamed to admit that I've not read this entire thread yet, but in defense of myself, my device (intermittently) keeps blinking out. So I hope this was not already discussed on the thread (sorry if it was), as I know it can be irritating to ask things already discussed...

Is there any info at all mentioned by family/friends about what coat and/or shoes *may* be missing from Timothy's home? I ask for multiple reasons, which all sleuths will understand. I guess probably not, as it seems it's unclear if he was even still wearing his work clothes or not, but just thought I'd ask. Here is handy little guide for getting the February calendar of temps in Atlanta area (at airport), just FYI: https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KATL/2018/2/3/MonthlyCalendar.html

P.S. And looking at Atlanta area weather (several rainy days around that timeframe), is an umbrella missing? I realize this type of info is hard to know about a grown man who lives alone, but perhaps a close friend who knew him well *would* know these types of daily details.

Great points, Think! I always appreciate sleuthers who offer thoughts and sleuthing outside of the box.

As asked by a couple of posters early on, I would also like to know whether Timothy had a gun and if so, whether it has been accounted for.

One other thing I believe it has been suggested on here is that LE look into his recent purchases. They may have already been able to track his recent credit and/or debit card activities , but in case he bought a gun and paid cash, they (or even family members) may want to visit area gun stores and show the employees a photo of Timothy to see if they remember him coming in. He could have even bought one the day he was last seen alive, in which case, he could be close to the purchase location.

But then they might even have this type of information already, in which case it makes sense that they have been searching in nearby woods.

I feel like if there isn't new info this story will stop being talked about on the news.

I feel like if there isn't new info this story will stop being talked about on the news.

Sadly, I think it is already fading into the background. Atlanta just had a 48” diameter water main break and schools and businesses have been closed for a couple of days in dekalb county. There’s a county-wide boil water advisory (if you even have water). It’s all the local news channels are talking about now. 😔

Sadly, I think it is already fading into the background. Atlanta just had a 48” diameter water main break and schools and businesses have been closed for a couple of days in dekalb county. There’s a county-wide boil water advisory (if you even have water). It’s all the local news channels are talking about now. 

48 inch line. That is HUGE!

Just brainstorming.

I was looking at Timothy's "about" section on the CDC website. A few of his research papers caught my eye.....

"Serious Psychological Distress and Sleep Duration in Five States"
"The Association between Psychological Distress and Self-Reported Sleep Duration in a Population-Based Sample of Women and Men"

I work at a college and have found that a lot of our professors "study what they know," meaning, a lot of them gravitate towards subjects that are personal to them (not in all cases, but a higher percentage seem to do this). Psychology professors are interested in mental health because they themselves struggle or have been exposed to it (family member) and want to make a difference, so that is their life's work. Those that have degrees in Addiction Studies are the same. So even though Timothy's specialty was epidemiology, it appears that he also had some understanding/knowledge of mental illnesses

I also did a little research on psychiatric hospitals. The one that I looked at (in Atlanta, GA) specifically stated (in the "about us" section) that they were confidential. "We cannot confirm or deny your presence in our facility without your written permission." If this is truly the case, (and this privacy isn't trumped by police/missing persons inquiries) perhaps, Timothy has checked himself in...........

This would explain why he left everything behind (you can't bring much into those places) and why he left his dog behind (he felt confident that his dog would be taken care of -but just in case, he left windows open so someone would hear his dog bark)

Update: I just found this on the ACLU website concerning privacy and hospitals (https://www.aclu.org/other/faq-access-patient-information-friends-and-family)

"Q: I do not want to share my information with anyone - not even my closest family members. Can I request to have my information excluded from my hospital's directory?
A: Yes. As some people prefer to keep their medical conditions private - even from their closest family members - the Privacy Rule requires that hospitals and medical facilities provide patients with an opportunity to object to, or ""opt out"" of, including their information in their respective directories.[ix] Therefore, if you want to exclude your information from your hospital's directory, you should ""opt out.""
While not mandated by the HIPAA Privacy Rule, some hospitals do maintain a policy of presuming that patients want to be kept out of their respective directories unless patients ""opt in."" If your medical facility has such a policy but you want to be included in its directory, you should ""opt in"" by instructing the medical facility to list your information in its directory."

So it looks like hospitals can give patient information to police if some instances...........(https://www.campussafetymagazine.co...ls_give_patient_health_information_to_police/)

But, if a person checks into a psychiatric hospital out-of-state and/or out of the search area, one could potentially hide out. Anyone searching hospitals would have to call them one by one and if a family member does the calling and the patient has "opted out" the hospital would not release info. It looks like only law enforcement can override the HIPAA rule. Would the Atlanta Police have the time to call every psych ward in the state? Much less the country..........

Just brainstorming.

I was looking at Timothy's "about" section on the CDC website. A few of his research papers caught my eye.....

"Serious Psychological Distress and Sleep Duration in Five States"
"The Association between Psychological Distress and Self-Reported Sleep Duration in a Population-Based Sample of Women and Men"

I work at a college and have found that a lot of our professors "study what they know," meaning, a lot of them gravitate towards subjects that are personal to them (not in all cases, but a higher percentage seem to do this). Psychology professors are interested in mental health because they themselves struggle or have been exposed to it (family member) and want to make a difference, so that is their life's work. Those that have degrees in Addiction Studies are the same.

I also did a little research on psychiatric hospitals. The one that I looked at (in Atlanta, GA) specifically stated (in the "about us" section) that they were confidential. "We cannot confirm or deny your presence in our facility without your written permission." If this is truly the case, (and this privacy isn't trumped by police/missing persons inquiries) perhaps, Timothy has checked himself in...........

This would explain why he left everything behind (you can't bring much into those places) and why he left his dog behind (he felt confident that his dog would be taken care of -but just in case, he left windows open so someone would hear his dog bark)

Update: I just found this on the ACLU website concerning privacy and hospitals (https://www.aclu.org/other/faq-access-patient-information-friends-and-family)

"Q: I do not want to share my information with anyone - not even my closest family members. Can I request to have my information excluded from my hospital's directory?
A: Yes. As some people prefer to keep their medical conditions private - even from their closest family members - the Privacy Rule requires that hospitals and medical facilities provide patients with an opportunity to object to, or ""opt out"" of, including their information in their respective directories.[ix] Therefore, if you want to exclude your information from your hospital's directory, you should ""opt out.""
While not mandated by the HIPAA Privacy Rule, some hospitals do maintain a policy of presuming that patients want to be kept out of their respective directories unless patients ""opt in."" If your medical facility has such a policy but you want to be included in its directory, you should ""opt in"" by instructing the medical facility to list your information in its directory."

I think the first point you made has more to do with the sleep & sleep disorders program being in the same branch and/or division as where Tim works. There’s a lot of collaboration within branches and divisions at cdc.

I think the first point you made has more to do with the sleep & sleep disorders program being in the same branch and/or division as where Tim works. There’s a lot of collaboration within branches and divisions at cdc.

You are correct, per the abstract, "Serious psychological distress (SPD) is associated with depression, anxiety, and mood disorders. However, it is not known whether SPD is linked to short sleep duration or long sleep duration in the general population." (https://www.researchgate.net/public...al_Distress_and_Sleep_Duration_in_Five_States)

Even though psychology wasn't his specialty, he was privy to the research concerning mental illnesses

You are correct, per the abstract, "Serious psychological distress (SPD) is associated with depression, anxiety, and mood disorders. However, it is not known whether SPD is linked to short sleep duration or long sleep duration in the general population." (https://www.researchgate.net/public...al_Distress_and_Sleep_Duration_in_Five_States)

Even though psychology wasn't his specialty, he was privy to the research concerning mental illnesses

TBH I think you’re reading too much into this. The division of population health is also home to BRFSS, where they got the data from. In 2013, mental health questions were added to the survey so I’m sure people were scrambling to see how they could analyze those data and push those out into publications. Tim has published a lot of papers on sleep stuff, and it looks like he got to the sleep/mental health paper first.

Marking my spot.

If he'd checked himself into a facility of any sort... wouldn't they at least let his family know he was o.k. ? Without disclosing his whereabouts ?
I'd think that would be allowed.

Marking my spot.

If he'd checked himself into a facility of any sort... wouldn't they at least let his family know he was o.k. ? Without disclosing his whereabouts ?

Not without his explicit permission.

Marking my spot.

Sorry for the large text, I just copy/pasted. Per the ACLU........
[h=1]"WHEN MY LOVED ONE IS A PATIENT AT A MEDICAL FACILITY ?[/h][h=2]Q: Can I find out if my loved one is a patient at a particular hospital?[/h]A: Generally, yes. Under the HIPAA Privacy Rule, if you ask for a loved one by name, a hospital or medical facility can usually tell you if he or she is a patient at its facility.[iii]
There are instances, however, when a hospital or medical facility will not be able to tell you if your loved one is a patient at its facility, such as when your loved one instructs the hospital not to disclose any information about him or her, or when the hospital maintains a policy of not revealing any patient information, unless otherwise directed by the patient. (Such a policy is not required under the Privacy Rule, but has been adopted by some hospitals.)" (https://www.aclu.org/other/faq-access-patient-information-friends-and-family)

So if I am understanding this correctly, if he, as an adult, checked himself in and specifically stated that he did not want his whereabouts disclosed to anyone (including family), then no. Per HIPAA laws, he has a right to his privacy.

Law enforcement is granted some access (exceptions) but what I haven't been able to find out is, if law enforcement confirms a missing person has voluntarily checked in, if they still have to respect the wishes of the patient and not disclose the information to the family. Not sure.

***Again, I'm just brainstorming. I'm not a lawyer, nor do I know all the rules/regulations of HIPAA, but I have documented what I've found thus far**

TBH I think you’re reading too much into this. The division of population health is also home to BRFSS, where they got the data from. In 2013, mental health questions were added to the survey so I’m sure people were scrambling to see how they could analyze those data and push those out into publications. Tim has published a lot of papers on sleep stuff, and it looks like he got to the sleep/mental health paper first.

Like I said, just brainstorming. Perhaps I am, but I'm just posting ideas.

I guess I'm just really hoping that he is found safe and sound.

This case is so bizarre and sad. I’m truly praying Timothy Cunningham is found alive,but as the days turn into weeks and the weeks are close to a month, it’s not looking good. He struck me as being a high achiever all his life. High achievers usually sacrifice living life like the average individual because all their energy is funneled into school and their careers. Then one day they wake up and realize life passed them by and they missed out on a lot of things. I also find it very odd he was not married or had a girlfriend considering he was highly educated, smart and handsome.

The fact alone that his parents were concerned about recent interactions they had with him which they won’t disclose give me strong vibes that he had suffered from depression and possibly committed suicide. They mentioned he also had some personal issues, which make me think maybe a recent breakup?

This story reminds me of the flight attendant Sierra Shields who disppeared in Jan.2016. One day she reported to LaGuardia airport for work, had a brief conversation with her supervisor and she was last seen on the surveillance camera leaving the airport by foot. The supervisor claimed she wasn’t herself and was asking about contacting a union representative. Her parents and sisters who lived in another state had spoken to her days prior to her disappearance. They said they knew that something was wrong just by her demeanor and voice. Also, her father had said she said she could see God on the other side of the East River and wanted to swim to the other side. By the time they made it to Queens she was missing. In Sept 2016, her remains washed ashore on Rikers Island.

Though her parents never came out and said it, they always made indirect comments that she may have harmed herself. There was a lot they didn’t say in the media to protect her reputation and image because the goal was to get to her before she harmed herself. With that being said, I think it’s a similar situation with Timothy Cunningham and his family.

For all we know he could have had a history of depression which the family has chosen to keep private. They seem like a very close knit family so what may seem a mystery to us may very well not be a mystery to them - except his whereabouts.

OK, this will be my last post for a bit (I feel like I'm monopolizing the thread :blushing:)

It's almost been a month at this point. As far as we know, there has been no contact from Timothy, nor has anything been found to indicate foul play.

(In case you haven't noticed, I'm leaning towards him checking himself in....... )

There was no suicide note, there was no sign of a struggle at the home. Everything was left secure (door locked, car in garage, wallet, cards, phone, etc) except for the 2 open windows (upstairs, still somewhat secure on second floor)

Perhaps a friend picked him up and helped him check into a psychiatric hospital. Perhaps this friend honored his privacy. Perhaps no one knows about this friend. Perhaps this friend also works for the government and respects Tim's (and everyone's) right to privacy/confidentiality. Perhaps Tim didn't think that his disappearance would become national news and now he is embarrassed (which there is absolutely no reason for him to feel embarrassed). ****If Tim and/or his family and friends happen to read this post (and mental illness/talking a break was the reasoning behind the disappearance) please know that there is absolutely no reason to feel embarrassed and that many, many people love you and care about your well being (even strangers)****

If other members are interested, I've attached a pdf slide presentation from the Georgia Dept of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities that discusses Georgia laws regarding HIPAA and Confidentiality. Please see slide 32 and 33 (scenario: when a family member inquires about a patient)

https://dbhdd.georgia.gov/sites/dbh...odard HIPAA training BH Symposium 10-2017.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honeybadger503