GA - TRIAL OF Ryan Alexander Duke & Bo Dukes - Tara Grinstead, 29, Ocilla, 22 Oct 2005 *Guilty/Not Guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
@Stina_108 - just going thru my August stuff - and wondering IF there might be an update yet on next hearing?

TIA! :)

@Stina_108 - just going thru my August stuff - and wondering IF there might be an update yet on next hearing?

I don't see anything happening this year. I'm pretty sure all proceedings will be put off until 2022. I hate this. I just don't understand how it's okay for other hearings and trials to carry on, but the one that's so very long overdue for this circuit is delayed yet again. At this point, if this trial actually happens, I'll be shocked.

Thanks for checking it out @Stina_108 ! Yes, I too believe trial will be next year - unfortunately....

@Stina_108 - just going thru oldies - and thought - well maybe he'll have a hearing before 2022. :)

TIA!

@Stina_108 - just wondering - maybe a hearing before the end of the year?

and
citrouille.gif

Another month has gone by @Stina_108 - again wondering if he might have a hearing in January maybe? TIA!
coucou.gif

This part of Bo's trial to me is part of what gives me suspicions about police covering up something. This video is linked, and I have written out what was said, with each person speaking in bold. starts at about 15

Agent Shoudel, testimony via youtube video on 13WMAZ Bo Dukes on Trial: Tara grinstead.

Attrny: showing states exit number 61. AS: You want me to read the whole thing? It Says Georgia Bureau investigation Report 13 investigative case summary case number 13-0070-25-06 which is the Tara Grinstead case file number. On Thursday, June the 14th, 2016 at approximately 11:57 AM. Special Agent Jason Shoudel contacted and interviewed John McCullough via telephone, 832-614-0363. In regards of the current investigation. McCullough had contact with GBI Region 13 Field office, said he had information regarding the investigation into Tara Grinstead's disappearance. The interview could not be recorded as it was completed via telephone. During the interview, McCullough stated essentially the following. (AS pauses, appears to clear throat) Sorry. OK. During the Christmas 2006 holidays, McCullough was in basic training in the army at Fort Sill Army base, Oklahoma, with Bo Dukes. McCullough came to Ocilla, Georgia, with Dukes for the holidays. While in Ocilla, McCullough hung out with Dukes and his family McCullough and Dukes drove around the Ocilla area with Dukes, his mother's BMW convertible, and McCullough borrowed dukes truck, a white Ford F-150 long bed to drive. While riding around with Dukes, McCullough was told several odd statements. Duke said in quotes. You're my battle buddy, right?, McCullough indicating a bond of friendship and closeness. And I have in parentheses (you don't tell on each other). Duke said quote, it takes about 2000 degrees to burn a body, but pecan wood burns really hot in quote Dukes only made those statements after he and McCullough saw the missing persons posters of Grinstead posted around of Ocilla. Who said he had been contacted by Grinstead's boyfriend to help him? Dukes did not say the name of the boyfriend. Dukes drove the white Ford F-150 truck and met Grinstead's boyfriend loaded grinstead's deceased body into the back of the truck. Took it to the pecan orchard, then burned it to nothing. Duke said they did not pick up Grinstead's body from her house. But some other location Dukes indicated. And it happened the day before she was reported missing, which is Sunday. Dukes said Grinstead's boyfriend again had gotten upset and jealous at Grinstead, which provoked an argument leading to a physical altercation in which Grinstead was beaten or strangled. McCullough waited this long to follow up with the GBI because he believed Dukes may have been intoxicated during those conversations and just talked talking bolstered. McCullough could not provide any further information anytime in the interviews concluded at 12:24 PM. McCullough indicated he would cooperate with the station DeLand. Any other matter concerning the investigation, and then the rest is his ID data. If you want me to read that, I can. Attrny: So, this is the information summary that you took from the interview....

Finally a court date!!

5 years since break in Tara Grinstead Case, killer awaits trial | 13wmaz.com

Feb. 23, 2022

The man accused of killing Tara Grinstead 16 years ago is set to face trial this spring.

A pretrial motions hearing is scheduled for March 8 and 9 for Ryan Duke.

The trial is expected to begin in early May after being delayed at least twice -- once after Duke's lawyers argued that the state should pay for experts to testify on Duke's behalf, and the second time, due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

and I have 5/2/22 as the trial date.

@Stina_108 - just wondering "what time" these hearings might be starting, since the article doesn't give us that?

Tuesday, March 8th:
*Pretrial Motions Hearing (@ am ET) - GA - Tara Faye Grinstead (29) (Oct. 22, 2005, Ocilla) – *Ryan Alexander Duke (21 @ time of crime/33/now 38) arrested (2/23/17), indicted (4/2017) & arraigned (5/4/17) with 2 counts of felony murder & 1 count of malice murder, aggravated assault, burglary & concealing death of another. Plead not guilty. Held without bail.
Trial was set to begin on 10/4/21 was continued to 5/2/22 with jury selection.
Court hearings from 10/13/17 thru 3/15/21 reference post #349 here:
GA - TRIAL OF Ryan Alexander Duke & Bo Dukes - Tara Grinstead, 29, Ocilla, 22 Oct 2005 *ARREST*

5/11/21 Update: Trial set to begin on 10/4/21 thru 10/8/21. 7/13/21 Update: Motions hearing on 7/16/21. 7/16/21 Update: Hearing was delayed; Judge had an emergency in a civil case. Motions hearing rescheduled on 8/31/21.
8/27/21 Update: Cobb County attorney Ashleigh Merchant, who represents Duke, said the decision to delay the trial was made during a conference call Wednesday afternoon with the judge and prosecutors. A clerk in Judge Bill Reinhardt’s office said an order had not yet been signed, but a hearing scheduled for Tuesday 8/31/21 in the case has been postponed. Merchant said the judge suggested a possible March date for the trial.
11/29/21: Jury selection for Ryan Duke’s trial will start May 2, 2022 with jury selection, according to the Irwin County Superior Court. Pretrial motions hearings on 3/8/22 & 3/9/22.
Accomplice:
*Bo Dukes: Found guilty (3/21/19) and sentenced to 25 years. 10/22/20 Update: A hearing set for 11/24/20, in Wilcox County for Dukes. The judge will consider Dukes' request for a new trial.

Pretrial hearing is happening live today on CourtTV

Bo Dukes was subpoenaed and brought to Irwin Co to appear. After being sworn in, Dukes immediately asked judge to meet with a lawyer. I’m not sure if Dukes has an attorney or if they will get him a Public Defender.

Bo Dukes still has charges related to this, pending in Ben Hill County.

Wednesday, March 9th:
*Pretrial Motions Hearing (Day 2) (@ am ET) - GA - Tara Faye Grinstead (29) (Oct. 22, 2005, Ocilla) – *Ryan Alexander Duke (21 @ time of crime/33/now 38) arrested (2/23/17), indicted (4/2017) & arraigned (5/4/17) with 2 counts of felony murder & 1 count of malice murder, aggravated assault, burglary & concealing death of another. Plead not guilty. Held without bail.
Trial set to begin on 5/2/22 with jury selection. @ 9:30a (thru the end of May).
Court hearings from 10/13/17 thru 8/27/21 Reference post #374 here:
GA - TRIAL OF Ryan Alexander Duke & Bo Dukes - Tara Grinstead, 29, Ocilla, 22 Oct 2005 *ARREST*
11/29/21: Jury selection for Ryan Duke’s trial will start May 2, 2022 with jury selection, according to the Irwin County Superior Court. Pretrial motions hearings on 3/8/22 & 3/9/22.
3/8/22 Update: The first of two pretrial hearings started today. Former Tift Judicial Circuit District Attorney Paul Bowden & Kim Schwalls, Bowden’s assistant district attorney, took the stand. Duke’s attorneys & the state argued a meeting in Perry with Bo Dukes & Bowden, Schwalls, a Georgia Bureau of Investigation agent & Dukes’ attorney. Dukes was also charged in connection to Grinstead’s death & disappearance & was convicted in Wilcox County in 2019 for charges related to her death. The State & defense return Wednesday, 3/9/22 for day two of this pretrial hearing. They’re planning to hear from Bo Dukes as well as the GBI agent who was there when Dukes gave his statement.
Accomplice:
*Bo Dukes: Found guilty (3/21/19) and sentenced to 25 years. 10/22/20 Update: A hearing set for 11/24/20, in Wilcox County for Dukes. The judge will consider Dukes' request for a new trial.

Reactions: byo
For those not from Georgia:

- Ocilla, GA/Irwin Co - where Tara Grinstead lived and was murdered

- Ben Hill Co - location of the pecan orchard, where her remains were likely disposed of. Bo Dukes has pending charges related to Grinstead case here. Location of Fitzgerald where some related to the case live

- Perry, GA/Houston & Peach Cos - location of GBI Regional Office. Houston Co - Bo Dukes has pending charges related two assaulting to women

- Wilcox Co - Bo Dukes convicted on 4 charges related to Grinstead case - including lying to GBI, concealing a body

Ryan Duke is charged in Irwin Co and that is the location of yesterday and today’s Pretrial Hearings.

All of these locations are in South Georgia, south of Macon.

Thanks for that summary @SavageMarkIII ! Any news on what is happening in the pretrial hearings? TIA! :)

Reactions: byo
I do have CourtTV, but I can’t watch all of it due to work.

What I saw today, Bo Dukes appeared and his Attorney stood right by him to advise him. Ashley Merchant, Ryan Duke’s defense attorney, asked questions, but Bo Dukes answered with invoking his 5th Amendment right to not answer every time on the advice of his attorney.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Required
Back