GA - TRIAL OF Ryan Alexander Duke & Bo Dukes - Tara Grinstead, 29, Ocilla, 22 Oct 2005 *Guilty/Not Guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Bo does not come across to me as the kind of person that would risk everything to help a friend, by burning a body on his family property. He does come across as someone that would take advantage of a friend, and get them drunk or high to convince them they did a horrible deed. He would not jeopardize his privilege and social standing. Just does not make sense.

Bo’s brazenly committed other criminal acts including federal felony theft, kidnapping, and multiple rapes - one at knifepoint, the other two threatening to kill the victims with a shotgun. He didn’t give a rat’s *advertiser censored* about his social standing and privilege when he did those things. Burning a dead body in the dead of night in a remote patch of an orchard is pretty tame and secretive by comparison. Ryan knew about the phone call, a detail LE never released to the public.

@Stina_108 - just wondering if there might be a date for the Grand Jury hearing for RA yet?

TIA! :)

@Stina_108 - sorry to bother you again - but was wondering if there might be a date for the Grand Jury hearing since they did say in November. TIA!

Last edited:
Tuesday, Nov. 24th:
*Status Hearing (Wilcox County) (@ am ET) – GA - *Bo Dukes (34 @ time of crime/36/now 37) a Wilcox County GJ indicted (Sept. 2017) with 4 charges: 2 counts making false statements (to GBI), 1 count of hindering apprehension of a criminal & 1 count of concealing the death of another. Wilcox County
Dukes MAY go to trial later this month (March, 2019) in charges related to the case in Wilcox County. 4/9/19: Dukes reported Tuesday at Georgia Diagnostic & Classification State Prison in Jackson to start his 25-year sentence. Dukes was convicted of 4 charges in Wilcox County: 2 counts of making false statements, 1 count of hindering apprehension or punishment of a criminal & 1 count of concealing the death of another.
10/22/20 Update: A hearing set for Nov. 24, 2020, in Wilcox County for Dukes. The judge will consider Dukes' request for a new trial.

*Indicted (@ am ET) - GA – Unidentified Woman (Jan. 19, 2017) - *Bo Dukes (34 @ time of crime/36/now 37) indicted (1/19/19) with rape, aggravated sodomy & possession of firearm/knife during commission of crime. Houston County
Also charged with:
*Indicted – GA - (June, 2017) by a Ben Hill County grand jury indicted Dukes on 3 counts: concealing the death of another (burning Tara’s body), 2 counts of making false statements, tampering with evidence & hindering apprehension of a criminal. Ben Hill County
3/17/19: Calendar Call hearing; no update as of 12/25/19. No update since 11/15/20.
*Charged – GA -2 ladies (Jan. 1, 2019) -*Bo Dukes (34 @ time of crime/now 37) charged (1/6/19), indicted (1/15/19) & arraigned (2/17/19) with 1 count of rape (2019), 2 counts for aggravated sodomy, 2 counts for kidnapping, 2 counts for aggravated assault, 4 counts for possession of firearm/knife commission of crime & 1 count for possession of firearm/knife by convicted felon. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Houston County
1/6/19 Update: Made appearance before Judge charged with rape, aggravated sodomy, false imprisonment & possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. Warner Robbins case. Held without bond. No further dates given. Dukes is currently in state custody & will eventually be turned over (1/9/19) to federal custody & will complete six months in federal prison, as part of his revoked supervised release. Houston County Warner Robins case on 1/1/20.
*Convicted: GA -Tara Faye Grinstead (29) (Oct. 22, 2005, Ocilla) - *Bo Dukes (21 @ time of crime/32/now 37) arrested & charged (3/3/17) with concealing a death, hindering the apprehension of a criminal & giving false statements. Released on $16,700 bond on 3/3/17 afternoon; waived right to his first hearing. Violated his bond, back in jail. Irwin County Dukes has not been charged with murder.
Trial started 3/18/19 & went to 3/21/19. 7 women and 5 men (including 3 alternates/1 woman & 2 men). Breakdown of the 12 jurors: 3 black females, 4 white females, 1 black male, 4 white males.
3/21/19: GUILTY on two counts of making false statements, one count of hindering apprehension or punishment of a criminal & one count of concealing the death of another.
3/22/19: Judge sentenced Bo Dukes to max —25 years. 5 years for count 1, 5 years for count 2, 5 years for count 3, 10 years for count 4. That’s the maximum sentence of 25 years for his involvement in Tara's death.
Accomplice:
*Ryan Alexander Duke (33/21 @ time of crime) arrested (2/23/17), indicted (4/2017) & arraigned (5/4/17) with 2 counts of felony murder & 1 count of malice murder, aggravated assault, burglary & concealing death of another. Plead not guilty. Held without bail. Irwin County. Trial was to start 4/1/19, Defense files motion to delay. GA Supreme Court will hear oral arguments on 5/7. 5/7/19: Status hearing on 9/3/19. GA Supreme Court to hear case sometime in May, 2020 & due to coronavirus was changed to November, 2020 to January, 2021. Oral Arguments hearing on 1/21/21.

@Suglo - can you access Georgia court sites? Looking for Wilcox County. Don't have a case # though and... :D

while you are at it can you look up these:

Houston County #2019C05426501, 02, & 03.
Houston County #2019CR053334-1 thru -12 - last entry I have for this is 1/6/19.
Ben Hill County no case # - last entry on 3/17/19.

TIA!
vil2_thanksgiving.gif

@Suglo - can you access Georgia court sites? Looking for Wilcox County. Don't have a case # though and... :D

TIA!
vil2_thanksgiving.gif

@Niner I spent an hour trying to find info via the Georgia courts online system but couldn’t find anything. I’m not sure if they actually publish criminal cases/dockets. Sorry about that. Here is the link in case you can access it.

Document Access and Electronic Filing

@Suglo - sorry you wasted an hour... I can access the link you gave & sign up! :) So going to look for Bo Dukes' stuff on there - hopefully I will find something.

Thanks!
bonhomme-neige-2.gif

@Suglo - sorry you wasted an hour... I can access the link you gave & sign up! :) So going to look for Bo Dukes' stuff on there - hopefully I will find something.

Thanks!
bonhomme-neige-2.gif
No worries! I’m glad you can access it. Hoping you find some useful info :)

Tara Grinstead case: Accused killer back in Georgia Supreme Court | 13wmaz.com

Jan. 11, 2021

ATLANTA — Editor's Note: The video in this story is from previous coverage of Duke's appeal in 2019.

Ryan Duke, the man charged with murder in the 2005 death of Tara Grinstead, will be back in front of the Georgia Supreme Court on Tuesday. [1/12/21]

According to a Supreme Court of Georgia oral argument schedule and summary, Duke will be again appealing an Irwin County’s court denial of his request for state funds to pay for expert witnesses and an investigator.

It is not the first time Duke has tried to appeal this issue to the state’s highest court.

Tuesday, January 12, 2021:
*Supreme Court Oral Arguments Hearing (@ am ET) - GA - Tara Faye Grinstead (29) (Oct. 22, 2005, Ocilla) – for *Ryan Alexander Duke (21 @ time of crime/33/now 36) arrested (2/23/17), indicted (4/2017) & arraigned (5/4/17) with 2 counts of felony murder & 1 count of malice murder, aggravated assault, burglary & concealing death of another. Plead not guilty. Held without bail.
Court hearings from 10/13/17 thru 7/15/19 Reference post #245 here:
GA - TRIAL OF Ryan Alexander Duke & Bo Dukes - Tara Grinstead, 29, Ocilla, 22 Oct 2005 *GUILTY*

9/13/19 Update: After about two and a half hours of arguments, both sides told Reinhardt that they'd like the Georgia Supreme Court to hear the funding arguments before the trial begins. Could be weeks before Judge makes his decision. 1/7/20: Appeal denied by the GA Supreme Court.
1/23/20 Update: Duke's attorneys filed an application for interlocutory review. They're requesting the Georgia Supreme Court to appeal Irwin County Superior Court's ruling that Duke's attorneys not receive state funding for experts and investigators to assist in his case. GA Supreme Court will hear case sometime in May, 2020. Ryan's case should be placed on the calendar for May within 20 days of being docketed so hopefully we'll have date by, or before 2/9/20. Once the Court hears oral arguments, an opinion will be issued in one to five months.
2/13/20 Update: Supreme Court of Georgia has accepted an appeal in the Ryan Duke murder case. In a unanimous decision, the Georgia Supreme Court accepted the appeal from Duke’s defense team. The Supreme Court will hear arguments on the defense funding issue later this year.
8/3/20 Update: On August 3, 2020, Ashleigh Merchant filed a request for an extension of time for filing briefs & on August 4, the Supreme Court granted that extension. Ryan's case is on the calendar for November 2020. A specific date & time will not be published until briefs from the defense & the DA's office have been filed.
11/19/20 Update: Case has finally been scheduled to go before the Georgia Supreme Court in January. Oral arguments are on the calendar for 1/12/21.
1/11/21 Update: According to a Supreme Court of Georgia oral argument schedule & summary, Duke will be again appealing an Irwin County’s court denial of his request for state funds to pay for expert witnesses & an investigator. GA Supreme court will hear Ryan’s arguments on 1/12/21.
Accomplice:
*Bo Dukes: Found guilty (3/21/19) and sentenced to 25 years. 10/22/20 Update: A hearing set for 11/24/20, in Wilcox County for Dukes. The judge will consider Dukes' request for a new trial.

I screwed up my notes - I had 1/21.... transposed that date...:rolleyes:

Probably no word on this appeal, eh? Too early?

@Stina_108 - can you find anything on Bo Dukes?
Looking for Wilcox County. Don't have a case # though

Just bumping up to see if the Appeals court has a ruling yet on this? Or probably too early...

TIA! :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman
Back