GA - Troy Davis fails to prove his innocence to Supreme Court

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
From what I have read, the defense attorneys did not call most of the recanting witnesses to testify to such. They submitted affidavits, but the prosecution was not permitted to question them, since they were not called.
Why didn't the defense bring them in? I wonder.

I don't remember the exact details (I am trying to keep an eye here while doing my school work) but I read something about the fact that these people were going to say in court, if questioned that the real killer was Redd Coles and since he could not be brought in they could not question them because they knew what they would say. I assume this has something to do with Coles right to face his accusers, since he wouldn't be there. I don't know. I will find it again later if I can.

I think there are a lot worthier victims for me to focus my energies on. He admitted to shooting another man in the face during a party that same night. Then he was viciously beating up a homeless man, when that cop confronted him in an attempt to save the man. I am not sure if he was the one who shot the cop or not, although I think he did,but he is guilty of many violent actions. Maybe this is karma. imoo

I totally agree katydid, this man was determined to hurt and/or kill someone that night. The murdered police officer saved the life of the homeless man. IMO, there very well could have been at least three people murdered that night. There is no doubt in my mind that he is guilty. I feel more for the murdered victim's family especially the children who did not get to know their father. Those are the true victims, IMO.

I don't remember the exact details (I am trying to keep an eye here while doing my school work) but I read something about the fact that these people were going to say in court, if questioned that the real killer was Redd Coles and since he could not be brought in they could not question them because they knew what they would say. I assume this has something to do with Coles right to face his accusers, since he wouldn't be there. I don't know. I will find it again later if I can.

If Red Coles was the shooter, then why did 7 witnesses say otherwise? Why would the cops pressure people to say it was Troy, if in fact it was Red Coles? They even had Red Coles right in their police department in the interrogation room that evening, iirc. How did 7 other people let him go free and accuse this other guy?

The cops found bloody shorts in the Troy's moms dryer that night, and knew he had been on a shooting spree already that night. Is that why they looked away from Coles?

If Red Coles was the shooter, then why did 7 witnesses say otherwise? Why would the cops pressure people to say it was Troy, if in fact it was Red Coles? They even had Red Coles right in their police department in the interrogation room that evening, iirc. How did 7 other people let him go free and accuse this other guy?

The cops found bloody shorts in the Troy's moms dryer that night, and knew he had been on a shooting spree already that night. Is that why they looked away from Coles?

The blood on the shorts was not only not matched to the crime scene but they couldn't even tell how long it had been there or whose it was.

As someone who has members of the police department in their family, sometimes these things happen and there is corruption. Sometimes one person is easier to go after than another. Sometimes, especially when a police officer is killed, emotions are high. Maybe he did do it. Maybe he didn't. But what harm would there be in commuting his sentence to life without parole? He can't harm anyone else and it would leave the people with a feeling that justice was served and that no irreversible errors were made. If the cops did pressure these 7 people, as they claim, their testimony should be thrown out. That leaves absolutely no evidence against him, considering the original ballistics report said the casings were similar and that is now in question and a member of the GBI said that the bullets removed from both victims were not the same. Eye witness testimony is the worst evidence there is. I just can't ever be comfortable with the idea that this can happen if there is any doubt. When the ultimate punishment is doled out, there shouldn't be a single doubt at all, considering that it is entirely unnecessary in the first place and there are other options. Why can't he have his lie detector test? Why wouldn't you want to check every possible avenue before taking someone's life?

I wish that I could see the documents that are referenced in the petitions I found last night. The petitions are very worrisome if the information contained in them is true. Maybe if I could see those documents I would feel more comfortable about this execution. Coming from a state where procedural rules block evidence of innocence from ever being seen because it was discovered more than 21 days after conviction and a former attorney general taking the position and stating in public that "evidence of innocence is irrelevant," when there is a chance that someone is innocent I am skeptical about anything that is said from either sides for fear of admitting a mistake. My state would rather accuse a victim of cheating on her husband with a convicted rapist than admit they had the wrong man, so perhaps that has something to do with why I am reluctant to believe the state in cases of doubt. I'm glad it is not my state that is doing this or I wouldn't be able to complete my school work at all. I will also never understand why we kill people who kill people to show killing is wrong. I very strongly believed in the death penalty until I realized how often mistakes happen.

Based on the numbers from last October, 138 people had been released from death row because of exoneration. That was more than 3% of the people who had been sentenced post Furman. There was another in TX who was executed under Perry's watch who was widely believed to be innocent and the situation may have been one where no one killed (ETA - I should say murdered)anyone at all. Check out the case of Cameron Willingham. The more I hear, the further I get away from my ability to support the death penalty at all.

Wow, must say I am pleasantly surprised at the number of comments supporting Davis in this thread. I'm no activist but I have followed the case for several years and I took part in the march to Ebeneezer baptist church in Atlanta last Friday.

I know Davis has had some less then stellar legal counsel in the past. I'm against the death penalty in principle but I don't understand how you can use it if there is ANY doubt. 7 witnesses changing their story, allegations of police misconduct, issues with the ballistics testing and so on. Troy Davis certainly wasn't a model citizen and he had shot someone else that day. So what? That was a separate crime. I believe his sentence should be commuted to life in prison and he should get another trial.

If you believe his lawyers and supporters are over blowing all the problems in the case, do you accept any one of the issues may be valid? If so how can executing him be okay. Guilty verdicts and prison sentences can be appealed. Death is final.

I feel very much for officer MacPhail's family. He was a hero and what happened was abhorrent. I understand why they feel the way they do. It's not justice to convict an innocent man. It's not right. I know they have said they need closure. I just feel like they should have been able to achieve it some other way. This won't bring Mark back.

From the AJC

Superior Court Judge Thomas Wilson this afternoon declined to issue a stay, rejecting Davis' last-ditch bid to halt his execution. Davis' lawyers will now appeal to the Georgia Supreme Court and, if necessary, the U.S. Supreme Court.

I can't see SCOTUS taking this on, twice. Can you? They already gave him one stay of execution.

Can President Obama block the execution?

there seem to be too many holes in this case that have been patched up by those who want to solve and close this case. How can witnesses recant their testimony and nothing be done? This would happen in the State of Georgia!

Can President Obama block the execution?

Providing there are no federal issues, no. The president may not interfere with state business. If there were federal issues that came into play, like what they were trying to do in the Casey Anthony case, then he could have the execution stayed for an investigation into those issues. But I don't think that is the case here.

Prayers for all . . . wish we had followed this case with the intent we do with others; I have little knowledge of the facts, but the fact this man is going to die tonight & could be innocent is UNJUST! Recanting testimony? No DNA? Wow - just wow

I totally agree katydid, this man was determined to hurt and/or kill someone that night. The murdered police officer saved the life of the homeless man. IMO, there very well could have been at least three people murdered that night. There is no doubt in my mind that he is guilty. I feel more for the murdered victim's family especially the children who did not get to know their father. Those are the true victims, IMO.

Just to be clear, opposing the death penalty, for this or any other condemned person, does not equal a lack of compassion or feeling for the victims and their families. I abhor violence of all types - and that is exactly the reason that I oppose he DP: it is, very simply, just more violence. Peace and justice are not achieved through violence, whether that violence is committed by a criminal, or by the government.

The murdered officer, Marc MacPhail, was indeed a hero, and he gave his life to protect a homeless man, one of the weakest and most marginalized persons in our society. No greater love has one than this, etc. He laid down his life to save another's. I don't think we honor that sacrifice by taking the life of another, even if that other is a criminal. :(

Ga supreme court unanimously denied the appeal.

SCOTUS is it. 1 hour left.

slightly O/T but there is more than one execution scheduled for tonight... the other one is in texas for Brewer (guy who drug James Byrd Jr. to death)

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/09/21/white-supremacist-set-to-die-for-texas-dragging/

A truly horrific crime. It is hard to work up any sympathy for these types of defendants. But personally I feel that no matter how sanitized they make the process of the "machinery of death" in carrying out the DP, it remains still the deliberate killing of a human being. A human being that likely committed the most violent of crimes for the most hateful of reasons, but a human being nonetheless.

That's what I try to remember, in cases like Brewer's. I also remember what Byrd's mother said - she probably was not speaking in reference to the DP, but she did clearly call for no more violence.

Prayers for all . . . wish we had followed this case with the intent we do with others; I have little knowledge of the facts, but the fact this man is going to die tonight & could be innocent is UNJUST! Recanting testimony? No DNA? Wow - just wow

Amen to your thoughts!!..Just thought I would chime in (from afar) I am watching this..and after listening to all that has been brought out in this case, why oh why would they still want to kill this inmate....commute to LWOP..until ALL doubt is erased...I amazed by the persuing this given what has transpired..

As an aside note...Just saw Barry Sheck interviewed....Yikes he has aged..ohhh maybe its me..I have aged too :floorlaugh:..

Coming from a country that does NOT have DP..I watch and yes maybe make a judgement and YES I do agree with some of the executions...BUT in this case far too many issues have been shown to cause QUESTIONS??..To take a LIFE is something no one should contemplate IF there are even ONE question??

JMO thoughts..Sorry

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en
Back