GA-Winder-Massive police presence at Apalachee High School.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Oddly, children are so resilient and matter of fact about these things. Just another "drill". Shelter in Place. Not unlike we were, back in the day, safely secured under our desks in case of a nuclear bomb. Now, let's go eat lunch.
Hard no.
Although the few students interviewed by media seem composed, they are really terrified. IMO they are likely still in shock from what they have witnessed. Their psychological trauma won't appear instantly in a easily-recognizable form.
Kids and teens see mass shootings in the news just like we do. They are painfully aware they are stuck like sardines in a classroom and there is no real safety at school. They have anxiety each time a drill happens (even if it's planned in advance).
They have no faith that adults will actually help them in a time of crisis (thanks Uvalde). They see no change to law or policy that actually reduces the killings.
We are teaching kids they must learn how to run, hide, FIGHT because adults aren't willing to remove the threat of weapons from school, and children should learn to deal with the threat themselves.
They are young, but they understand the message. They realize nothing will get better.

Why wasnt the school shut down for the day?
Easy to say after there was a shooting at that particular school, but if a school shut down for a day every time there's a warning about a shooting on social media or by phone, schools would be shutting pretty often. Prank calls, prank warnings on social media, students wanting to avoid tests or just prank for whatever reason. MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard no.
Although the few students interviewed by media seem composed, they are really terrified. IMO they are likely still in shock from what they have witnessed. Their psychological trauma won't appear instantly in a easily-recognizable form.
Kids and teens see mass shootings in the news just like we do. They are painfully aware they are stuck like sardines in a classroom and there is no real safety at school. They have anxiety each time a drill happens (even if it's planned in advance).
They have no faith that adults will actually help them in a time of crisis (thanks Uvalde). They see no change to law or policy that actually reduces the killings.
We are teaching kids they must learn how to run, hide, FIGHT because adults aren't willing to remove the threat of weapons from school, and children should learn to deal with the threat themselves.
They are young, but they understand the message. They realize nothing will get better.

Sorry. I did not mean children who are in active trauma from a shooting that directly affected them. Most kids, just hunker down, and think about what video game they will play after school. I have not seen normal kids focus on school shootings. Sure, they ask their parents about it. Older ones. Younger kids don't seem that affected to me.

Hard no.
Heartbreaking, they understand the message. Horribly true.

I think you can do things to minimize how often these things occur, and how deadly they are, but you’ll never be able to stop them entirely. Young people have had the ability to shoot up schools for decades and decades, but it’s a more recent phenomenon that they actually carry it out.

It’s like this didn’t even occur to anyone until other kids started doing it.
True. I think one of the issues is the internet
and national news agencies. They get a ton of easy publicity and even evil “trends” spread fast this way.

IMO, if LE refused to name them at press conferences and if the media agreed to a black out of their names, that would slow this kind of thing considerably.

Print everything about them demographically. But withhold their names to some large degree and these weirdos wouldn’t see an immediate benefit to such massacres.

I’m not talking about LE outright refusing to disclose information including names, upon request. I’m talking about self-imposed media censorship and LE not publicly disclosing their names.

That's the first thing I thought of when I read about the cell phone bans. I wouldn't want my child to be in this kind of situation without a phone. It's not a weapon, but it's better than nothing.
Wouldn't the teacher and any classroom aides having one be enough in most emergencies? The idea being to get help from outside the classroom rather than every individual student contacting their parents for a final phone call? When you consider all the downsides to teaching in a room full of students with phones.

True. I think one of the issues is the internet
and national news agencies. They get a ton of easy publicity and even evil “trends” spread fast this way.

IMO, if LE refused to name them at press conferences and if the media agreed to a black out of their names, that would slow this kind of thing considerably.

Print everything about them demographically. But withhold their names to some large degree and these weirdos wouldn’t see an immediate benefit to such massacres.

I’m not talking about LE outright refusing to disclose information including names, upon request. I’m talking about self-imposed media censorship and LE not publicly disclosing their names.
FWIW, I've noticed a change over the years and media do now refer to the shooters as "shooters." They might report the name initially, but seem to not continually repeat it like they used to.

Just my observation, not a fact. ;)

jmo

I think you can do things to minimize how often these things occur, and how deadly they are, but you’ll never be able to stop them entirely. Young people have had the ability to shoot up schools for decades and decades, but it’s a more recent phenomenon that they actually carry it out.

It’s like this didn’t even occur to anyone until other kids started doing it.
I grew up in Des Moines, and there was a shooting at my junior high in 1972! I never knew about it, even though I went there just a few years later, until people started discussing it on that school's Facebook page. There was also a murder/suicide a decade later at a high school, between a boy, and a girl he had been pursuing/stalking who was not interested in him.

CNN is interviewing a student who was sitting right next to the shooter just before he started shooting. Says he was quiet and didn't speak very much. He left the classroom, was gone for a little while (she says he usually skips class) and when he tried to get back in a female student apparently realized he had a gun, and didn't open the door (doors automatically lock).

It appears that he then opened fire on the classroom next door. The student thinks that door was open for some reason.

Not all schools have metal detectors. I live in Georgia, though hours away from Winder, and up until last year my kids’ HS was an open campus. No metal detectors.

On Friday a popular girl from a very well-known, prominent family was arrested for posting on social media that she was going to kill (shoot) a teacher over a test grade. It’s caused a local uproar, with many people saying things like she was just upset, she wasn’t really going to do anything, her dad comes from a long line of attorneys and she’ll get off. I admit I was shocked, I’ve known this girl since she was about 9 and it’s totally out of character. But I’m glad she was arrested and even more glad that a friend saw her post and reported it.
Free speech doesn't cover this, as she knows now! Oh, yeah, I remember hearing things like that when I was a kid with an immature teenage brain.

The only school I have ever encountered that was on permanent lockdown, and had metal detectors and a guard at the door, was a K-3 school in a quiet middle-class neighborhood in the rural Illinois area where I used to live. Those measures were taken because it was the school attended by the kids that age who lived at the domestic violence shelter, and the guard was a contracted employee of the shelter.

FWIW, I've noticed a change over the years and media do now refer to the shooters as "shooters." They might report the name initially, but seem to not continually repeat it like they used to.

Just my observation, not a fact. ;)

jmo
Yes. And I would love it if LE when they give pressers, call the person “the coward”. I seriously think it could deter some of these people who feel ineffectual in life and want notoriety in death.

Brown eyes, what would that look like to you? What measures would you take in/at the school? TIA
We’ve been discussing this since Columbine and yet here we are. My late husband lost a relative (child) in Sandy Hook. I’ve had lots of thoughts but they may veer into political issues which are against the TOS and this is not the thread for this. Not today.

Easy to say after there was a shooting at that particular school, but if a school shut down for a day every time there's a warning about a shooting on social media or by phone, schools would be shutting pretty often. Prank calls, prank warnings on social media, students wanting to avoid tests or just prank for whatever reason. MOO
In California, where I teach, a school will go into a form of lockdown where each classroom is locked, no students can leave their classrooms without an adult chaperone (i.e. bathroom, etc). While this will not help the class that has the person with the gun if that person decides to follow through on their threat (and if the threat was viable), it does minimize/isolate the damage. I believe if the internal lockdown continues for a certain amount of time, an early release is called. We have had several "prank" threats in our area, and this is what has happened. Often, once families get word, they start picking their children up early. There was a HUGE issue when there was a viable threat, but LE asked the school to hold off so they could search the student's home and arrest them off campus. Families were very angry because their children went to school that day. The threat was discovered the night before, and LE wanted the school day to do their investigative work.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NatSC
Back