GA-Winder-Massive police presence at Apalachee High School.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wouldn't the teacher and any classroom aides having one be enough in most emergencies? The idea being to get help from outside the classroom rather than every individual student contacting their parents for a final phone call? When you consider all the downsides to teaching in a room full of students with phones.
If the teacher is bleeding out, do the kids know his passcode?
Most cell networks jam up fast immediately after a mass shooting. I'd rather have a few backup phones with alternate carriers too.

I wonder if he had difficulty in the school system with that name. Maybe teachers or other students remarked on it regularly? I imagine it would be a tough one to grow into an adult with.
I'd guess it may be short for "Colton" which is an incredibly common name in the US. It's possible, but I don't think it would be unusual enough to be a huge problem, though of course bullies always find a way.

"He never really talked,
he wasn't (in school) most times,
he would just skip class.

Even when he would have talked,
it was one word answers.'

Sayarath said she
'wasn't surprised' when Gray was identified as the shooter, and said that
'when you think of shooters and the way they act,
it's usually the quiet kid and he was the one that fit that description.'

She said on the morning of the shooting,
Grey excused himself from the room minutes before shots rang out,
but when he left she assumed he was merely skipping class again.

But while he was gone,
a loudspeaker announcement told teachers to check their emails,
before Sayarath said Gray re-appeared at their classroom door.

Still not realizing the danger, Sayarath said a student went to open the door for Gray
before jumping back at the sight of his gun."

Last edited:
It looks like security was pretty good here. The doors lock, and anyone wanting access needs to be let in. That's the reason this gunman wasn't able to regain access to the classroom he was originally in. One of two things happened, and perhaps a combination of both:

The locked doors made sure that he didn't have a target rich environment, and those school resource officers apparently confronted him quickly. John Miller mentioned a stat on CNN earlier, that 53% of school shootings are over before police even arrive. Fortunately they were on scene already here.
Security is only as good as each classroom. It worked for the classroom he left, but the class nextdoor had its door open. All it takes is one student or adult not following the protocols, and a shooter gets access. It's understandable, we are human. In the school I work at, there are pieces of thick rubber that hook across the door latch, onto the door handles. So a door can be left locked, but everyone can go in and out unless in lockdown. Serious flaws with this, especially with the lens of today. I tend to leave the rubber things off, and other people come in or out of my room and put them back on (especially students).

It's very unusual for a school shooter to come out of it alive. This one is unusual. As far as execution, we have the death penalty in Georgia, but with the reported age of this shooter, who knows if it will be on the table. It's going to be interesting as to why he did what he did. IMO.
Interestingly, as I drove home from my college campus today, I heard an interview with the author of books on Parkland and Columbine, and he said that one of the key changes he's observed every time another school shooting occurs is that, of late, the tendency is actually for the shooter to NOT kill themselves/be killed by law enforcement/school resource officers, which is a marked change from school shootings of previous years.

He speculated that perhaps the "fan culture" that has sprung up online (on social media especially) around certain notorious killers and school shooters is motivating some young people to try to gain a sick
type of fame for themselves in this brutal fashion.

‘This isn’t a mystery, why people die’: Nicolle Wallace on the American tradition of mass shootings

"In May 2023, the FBI's National Threat Operations Center received several anonymous tips about online threats to commit a school shooting at an unidentified location and time," the FBI post read. "Within 24 hours, the FBI determined the online post originated in Georgia and the FBI's Atlanta Field Office referred the information to the Jackson County Sheriff's Office for action."

The agency added that the sheriff's office "located a possible subject, a 13-year-old male, and interviewed him and his father.
The father stated he had hunting guns in the house, but the subject did not have unsupervised access to them. The subject denied making the threats online," the FBI said.

Rbm.

First bolded : Imo, I would have considered that a red flag.
Second bolded : Obviously there were failures that led to today's heinous acts.
Wondering if the parent(s) will face any charges ?
Omo.

Virginia cell policy takes effect Jan 2025. Phones are allowed before and after school and during lunch. Many schools in Virginia have already implemented policies.

It's a hard decision, but many teachers spend 70% of their time asking students to put up their phones, it disrupts the entire class teaching time. I know in my local HS, fighting in school in down 70%, drug overdoes down to zero. It was so bad we had LE in the cafeteria daily, in addition to the school resource officer. Fighting was daily, overdoses several times each month. Seems kids make plans during the day to retaliate, attack, drug deals, etc. kids in the hallways and during lunch. So far we've seen a positive impact.
A few ruin it for everyone.

Moo...

where are their phones? in their lockers?

Nobody wins here, what a sad situation AGAIN! There are pictures of young 14yr old Colts out in SM, be careful to post any until we have MSM to back it. It's also sad they had issues a year ago and nothing came of it. Prayers to all involved. These ordeals are becoming numbing which is even more sad. This @#@# has to stop.

Suspect will be booked tonight, GBI director says
From CNN's Amir Vera
Georgia Bureau of Investigation Director Chris Hosey said Colt Gray, 14, the student accused in the mass shooting at Apalachee High School, will be booked in jail tonight.

Hosey said he was not sure when Colt would make his first court appearance, but said it would be “in a reasonable amount of time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babycakes15
Back