GA-Winder-Massive police presence at Apalachee High School.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

"• Authorities identify four killed: Hosey identified the four killed in Wednesday’s shooting as 14-year-old Mason Schermerhorn, 14-year-old Christian Angulo, 39-year-old Richard Aspinwall and 53-year-old Christina Irimie. The school’s website shows the two adults were both math teachers and Aspinwall was also an assistant football coach.

• Nine others injured: Nine other people – eight students and one teacher – were taken to hospitals with injuries, according to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. All of those wounded are expected to recover."

where are their phones? in their lockers?
Each school developed individual policy's. Most are allow to keep their phone but it must be turned off. A few school system purchased locked "pockets" for students to store phones.

Most schools have some form of the following ...
1st offense - School confiscates phone, parents must retrieve from the office.
2nd offense - in school suspension
3rd - out of school suspension

Another school shooting, in the United States. I am interested in the response by Department of Education, for a proactive plan going forward to keep staff and children safe in schools.
It is my understanding the Dept of Education is responsible for policy and guidance. They have no direct jurisdiction/legal over school systems. They do have control of funding and can withhold if policy and guidelines are not compliance.

I can only speak for Virginia...
Virginia schools are a separate business entity. Local government has no jurisdiction over schools. School boards in Virginia owns their own property, have elected school board members and are tasks with ensuring state and federal policies and laws are followed.

The state and federal government do have jurisdiction to withhold funding if federal guidelines not be followed.

Last edited:
Reporting that FBI visited his home last year to talk to CG and his dad about some school shooter online threats thought to be attributed to CG. FBI told he did not have unsupervised access to guns. (Can understand that at 13 yrs, and online threat, FBI limited actions)

1. That FBI visit alone should have been a nuclear red flag to parents about keeping guns 100% secure. A gun cabinet & no access to keys or combo should have been parents decision if decided needed those guns at home.
2. Would be so helpful if there were laws to required gun safe at a minimum.

Am thinking we see these parents in court soon. There is no excuse for them allowing access … IMO (perhaps will learn he got gun elsewhere )

I worked 20 years in public school in the U.S. and am quite familiar with emergency drills of all types, including intruder in the building, lockdown, call it what you will. I'm also quite familiar with crisis response theory/tactics. Lastly, quite familiar with the entire workings of mental health services, psychiatrists, psychologists, therapists, student assistance programs, children and youth services, juvenile probation, etc. etc.

In most of these shooting cases, I'll opine, as in this one, the shooter has a history. One of the problems is, and I repeat...ONE of various problems, believe it or not, money. When a child needs services, will the school pay? Or will Children and Youth services take the helm? Or will it be Juvenile Probation? When a child needs services, in particular, placement in another facility for behavioral or mental health concerns, somebody has to pay for that. The issue becomes quite complex in terms of need vs resources, parental involvement/approval, child involvement/approval, legal ramifications, service availability, etc. etc. etc.

Another issue becomes law relative to education. Public schools for the most part are charged with educating all school age eligible children who reside in their respective district, no matter the circumstance, be it language barrier, mental health, physical limitations or whatsoever. So, no matter the history of a child, that child, by law, must be in school.

In addition, law prevents exposure to, or the revealing of, a child's record, including mental health history, be it whatsoever, and normally those charged with providing such services, including counselors, therapists, school officials, etc. would never reveal details of a child's behavioral/mental health history to the public. (Some of the items found in these student files is quite revealing, being recorded and contained in each student's file).

Anyway, I could write volumes on the matter, but suffice it to say, each time I hear of any violent school incident, I pretty much know that there is a history with the shooter, and the details of that history are extant, but kept under lock and key, for various legal reasons.

One more item. I've always said, if you see it in real life, if it exists in our society, you'll see it in our schools. So, whatever you can imagine does and/or will happen on the streets of the U.S., chances are real good those things have, and will happen from time to time in public school....after all, the population in the school is but a sample of the general population, albeit young.

This has to stop. My god, spend the money to keep kids safe.
YES spend the money wisely.

I have a city and county school system in my area. Both schools applied for federal grants for school safety. The grants targeted facility building structure reinforcement. .

The city, already had a double entry system - added bullet proof glass. Added locked door with a scan ID badge for teachers and students, all exterior and interior classroom doors. They also added a "bullet" detection system. It's picks up the sound of gun fire and automatically notified local LE. Metal detectors for middle and HS including all sports functions.

The county added bullet proof glass to all double entry doors. A panic button in each room students occupy, wired into local LE. Entry system with scanned badge ID for interior and exterior doors.

Both schools systems have locally funded SROs employed by local police department, under contract for ALL schools including elementary and Pre-K and ALL sports functions.

Moo there are many federal grants for school security. It is the sole responsibility of the school board to apply for these funds/grants and determine the best use of funds.

Both of my school systems have private NFP endowments, funded by private fundraisers and a separate board. The boards fund grant writers to seek federal and state funds for various projects. Without the endowments, I feel we would miss out of many opportunities for "free" money.

Most school boards do not have the resources to fund grant writers with expertise in these quite complicated grants. We use a national company, quite expensive.

Moo...

Last edited:
I worked 20 years in public school in the U.S. and am quite familiar with emergency drills of all types, including intruder in the building, lockdown, call it what you will. I'm also quite familiar with crisis response theory/tactics. Lastly, quite familiar with the entire workings of mental health services, psychiatrists, psychologists, therapists, student assistance programs, children and youth services, juvenile probation, etc. etc.

In most of these shooting cases, I'll opine, as in this one, the shooter has a history. One of the problems is, and I repeat...ONE of various problems, believe it or not, money. When a child needs services, will the school pay? Or will Children and Youth services take the helm? Or will it be Juvenile Probation? When a child needs services, in particular, placement in another facility for behavioral or mental health concerns, somebody has to pay for that. The issue becomes quite complex in terms of need vs resources, parental involvement/approval, child involvement/approval, legal ramifications, service availability, etc. etc. etc.

Another issue becomes law relative to education. Public schools for the most part are charged with educating all school age eligible children who reside in their respective district, no matter the circumstance, be it language barrier, mental health, physical limitations or whatsoever. So, no matter the history of a child, that child, by law, must be in school.

In addition, law prevents exposure to, or the revealing of, a child's record, including mental health history, be it whatsoever, and normally those charged with providing such services, including counselors, therapists, school officials, etc. would never reveal details of a child's behavioral/mental health history to the public. (Some of the items found in these student files is quite revealing, being recorded and contained in each student's file).

Anyway, I could write volumes on the matter, but suffice it to say, each time I hear of any violent school incident, I pretty much know that there is a history with the shooter, and the details of that history are extant, but kept under lock and key, for various legal reasons.

One more item. I've always said, if you see it in real life, if it exists in our society, you'll see it in our schools. So, whatever you can imagine does and/or will happen on the streets of the U.S., chances are real good those things have, and will happen from time to time in public school....after all, the population in the school is but a sample of the general population, albeit young.
Thank you for this insight. Very revealing.

I have an acquaintance whose son was a troubled kid and I saw her family go through hell trying to get services for him. They were an educated, employed, rather well-off family...and were devastated emotionally and financially in efforts to get the kid help. There is NOT ENOUGH HELP.

Not saying that is the case here as the family didn't even remove guns after the FBI came knocking. I don't know if they sought help or not, but they sure didn't take responsibility of safety and I expect charges to be made. The parents put the community at risk and they knew it and apparently didn't care.

jmo

Easy to say after there was a shooting at that particular school, but if a school shut down for a day every time there's a warning about a shooting on social media or by phone, schools would be shutting pretty often. Prank calls, prank warnings on social media, students wanting to avoid tests or just prank for whatever reason. MOO
Our county school does shut down during all threats. In all cases the student is identified, 100% of the time arrested, permanent suspension and provided free online school offered by our state Dept of Education.

We had several incidents several years ago. Once the school board make the decision to arrest and prosecute, not only the student but the parent, we've not had incident several years. Knock on wood.

Moo

Moo... A major fail.

It is against the law to make a school threat. The child should have been arrested and given the help needed.

So many schools and LE fail to act, give multiple "chances" putting students at risk.

Virginia experience this in full form. A Newport News 6 yo shot his teacher. Three school employees notified the VP the child had a gun and students had witnessed. She responded, his pockets are to small for a gun. During the investigation school board employees destroyed records, covered up numerous written reports of threats and violence. They allowed the father a convicted felony to attend class with the student, a violation of state law.
Here's the thread, I guarantee it will awaken what does and can happen in some school systems.

Moo

Last edited:
The teen earlier left the second period algebra classroom, and Sayarath figured the quiet student who recently transferred was skipping school again.

But he returned later and wanted back in the classroom. Some students went to open the locked door but instead backed away.

“I’m guessing they saw something, but for some reason, they didn’t open the door,” Sayarath said.

When she looked at him through a window in the door, she saw the student turn and heard a barrage of gunshots.

“It was about 10 or 15 of them at once, back-to-back,” she said.

The math students ducked onto the floor and sporadically crawled around, looking for a safe corner to hide.

The teen earlier left the second period algebra classroom, and Sayarath figured the quiet student who recently transferred was skipping school again.

But he returned later and wanted back in the classroom. Some students went to open the locked door but instead backed away.

“I’m guessing they saw something, but for some reason, they didn’t open the door,” Sayarath said.

When she looked at him through a window in the door, she saw the student turn and heard a barrage of gunshots.

“It was about 10 or 15 of them at once, back-to-back,” she said.

The math students ducked onto the floor and sporadically crawled around, looking for a safe corner to hide.

Details are really showing us "what it is like"... the reaction of the kids to NOT unlock the door is very revealing..

I sense there will be more training for students /teachers on "how to sense" something coming down.

I actually hope there are more overt ways for students to report on other students. .. protected, anonymous ... whatever it takes. I know this is soooo tricky with privacy issues though.

Kids always know more about other kids.

It makes me wonder, if the FBI did just that...and notified the proper jurisdiction ( Sheriff?)....did they then just cross CG off their list? Never to inquire again? Was that it? They turfed it? Their job was complete?

No one was watching this kid !!

smh in disbelief

RIP to the poor victims
Prayers for all who are suffering through this.
Another "hand off" by a government agency.

Why didn't the FBI or GBI complete a risk assessment, home and family evaluation? Why did the FBI Atlanta office hand off to locals?

Moo...I think the FBI had 100% proof CG generated the threat.

Wasn't there another school shooting the FBI had prior information to a threat?

Moo..

The teenager's aunt, Annie Polhamus Brown, took to Facebook during the aftermath, bringing up the issues he 'dealt with' and saying she 'will take care of my nephew and what he needs on this side.'

'Just check yourself before you speak about a child that never asked to deal with the bull**** he saw on a daily basis,' she said in the posts, which have now been deleted.

'Y'all ready to see Polhamus blood in full throttle? Nah, I wouldn't either.'

Absolutely disgusting

Directly from the FBI website...

A school threat is a FEDERAL crime. Why didn't the feds handle the previous threat?

Issuing a threat—even over social media, via text message, or through e-mail—is a federal crime (threatening interstate communications). Those who post or send these threats can receive up to five years in federal prison, or they can face state or local charges.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmasReal~
Back