Gary Hilton - Cheryl Dunlap murder TRIAL

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A big boo and hiss to the TDO for making their news unavailable....I cannot read the article from the link.....
but am glad I was at least able to watch some of the trial!

Any way that some of you subscribers could copy and paste some of the relevant articles?

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/...ling--Jurors-can-consider-Hilton-s-statements

NOTE: Agree, Native New Yorker! I'm not a subscriber but was able to get the Tallahassee.com links thru search (Bing) and was lucky to get a cached copy. I don't think we are allowed to copy the entire article here due to copywrite issues. This one is from yesterday and mentions defense attorney Saunders.

[excerpts]

During a four-hour-plus rambling, stream-of-consciousness monologue on his way to the Leon County Jail in June 2008, Hilton offered explanations for killing Dunlap.

"I'm a (expletive) genius, man. I just lost a grip on myself," he said. "I just got old and sick and just (expletive)-flat lost my mind for a while."

Hilton described himself as a "sociopath" influenced by society and his military training, who was set off by his "sense of victimization."

In denying arguments by Hilton's public defender that the prejudicial statements be kept from jurors, Hankinson said, "These are statements by Mr. Hilton explaining why he murdered Ms. Dunlap."

State Attorney Willie Meggs' prosecution team will play an edited version of Hilton's taped statements to the jury later in the trial. Assistant Public Defender Paula Saunders said if the portions of Hilton's comments were to be presented, the entire hours-long tape should be played for jurors. On the tape, Hilton jumps from one tangent to another, including jail conditions, the price of gasoline, atomic bombs, credit card debt and the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

"If you want to do that to your case," the judge told Saunders, "you may."

-------

Before evidence issues delayed testimony, however, a host of items from Hilton's van were identified and shown to the jury, including a parade of clothing similar what witnesses said he was wearing in the Leon County area around the time of Dunlap's disappearance.

Also introduced into evidence was a black brimmed hat and medical tape similar to the type worn by the masked man who was caught on a Hancock Bank video using Dunlap's ATM card. Allergy medication, paper towels, dog food and tobacco products, similar to those found at Hilton's makeshift Apalachicola National Forest campsites, also were found in the van.

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/114908669.html

[This is a good available link that gives a running summary of the trial]

Prosecutors rest their case against Gary Hilton, defense to start Monday

UPDATED 2.11.2011 6:35pm by Julie Montanaro

Prosecutors have rested their case in the kidnapping and murder trial of Gary Hilton.

DNA took center stage this afternoon and this morning, Gary Hilton's own words may have come back to haunt him.

"I'm not all bad. I mean, you got to understand. I mean, I'm sure you can see. I mean, I'm a ****ing genius, man. I'm not a ... (laughs) I'm not all bad," Hilton said.

Those words were recorded on a four and half hour ride from Georgia to Tallahassee as deputies brought Gary Hilton back to face charges in the murder of Cheryl Dunlap.

LCSO SGT David Graham testified Hilton talked the whole time.

At one point in the recording Hilton called himself a "sociopathic character." He said he "got old and sick and couldn't make a living" and got "into a rage against society."

"I just lost, flat lost my ****ing mind for awhile man, I couldn't get a grip on it," Hilton said.

Defense attorneys point out Hilton said a whole lot more, rambling about everything from the price of gasoline to the assassination of JFK.

"Did he lament about his life?" defense attorney Ines Suber asked on cross examination.

"Yes," Graham said.

"His lack of family?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"His lack of employment?"

"Yes, ma'am."

More at link

I want to thank all of you for keeping us updated on what is happening in this trial.

THANK YOU!

Sorry about my mis-typed post previously. I was on my mobile touch screen. Anyway, what I meant to say was:

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, then it must be a duck! This should be a no brainer for the jury.

Prosecutors charged Hilton with one count of murder, one count of kidnapping and two counts of grand theft ($ and auto) in Dunlap's case.

Was there any evidence relating to the grand theft auto charge? Not that it really matters but I am just wondering.

Prosecutors charged Hilton with one count of murder, one count of kidnapping and two counts of grand theft ($ and auto) in Dunlap's case.

Was there any evidence relating to the grand theft auto charge? Not that it really matters but I am just wondering.

Hopefloats...I am in Tallahassee if you want to I will pm you my cell phone number and we can really talk. I have been talking to mousey and to climbergirl, they are both very delightful ladies. I have made some very nice new friends during this horrible trial.

I don't think anyone has stated on here but the State SA's have rested their case. It was done shortly before 5:00PM.

The dreaded Defense will start presenting their case Monday morning.

Suber is apparently setting up the appeals that will come if the jury finds him guilty.

I have very mixed emotions about the SA's total case. I really think most of their presentation was good. But I still have lots of questions.

For one....Why didn't they check with FSU for Cheryl' s fingerprints? To get a job as a nurse, teacher etc. ....You must have a fingerprint on file at the time of your employment. I had to file an electronic fingerprint with my School District about 5 years before I retired. That would have been in 2003. All of this is a direct result of 9/11. I am thinking that she would have had a fingerprint record to receive and maintain a valid Nursing License. anyone who is a nurse can jump in here on that.

Two...I am not convinced that the one drop of Cheryl's blood on the shoe lace on the hiking boots is an air tight case. IIRC the shoes were not found in the van...they were found in the dumpster. I may be wrong about this...please feel free to correct me.

I do know that the sleeping bag with Cheryl's blood on it was found in the dumpster. Suber will claim that it could have been placed there by anyone.

So my doubts are clouding my thinking at this time.

Having computer problems with my android phone as a modem and I am about to push my verizon aircard to it 5 GB limit. Verizon has unlimited use on my phone and both flip over to a new month on Feb. 19...over a week from today. If I go over on this...I will be charges 25 cents a minute. I don't pay that bill....so I can not go over. DH will kill me!!!LOL

Signing off for tonight...Hoping that I did not gross anyone out with the hunting story. There was a method for my madness.

Guess I'd better say...night lovingly....sally

Did not address grand theft auto charges....

To the best of my knowledge they were unable to place GMH in her car. I am basing this on the lack of ability to find his DNA inside Cheryl's car or on the steering wheel. As per lady DNA expert from FDLE, who testified today.

nite all...sally

Sally, I like your posts, and was not at all upset by the hunting post....

as for the car, I do not think they have to prove the chain of events as to HOW he got her, and in what way....
since they have the blood evidence...

also, I think the grand theft auto charge pales in comparison to Murder...
and didn't Hankinson say something like that about possible IRS charges against GMH...( or was it parking tickets, now cannot recall)
(paraphrasing) something like he had more important charges against him...
like Murder.

Does anyone have the list of charges against GMH in this case?

waiting for phone call from daughter in CT.

good thought for the day

No God, no peace. Know God, know peace. Press Like if you agree! =)
‎"Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life; you stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes, with your right hand you save me." - Psalm 138:7

Hopefloats...I am in Tallahassee if you want to I will pm you my cell phone number and we can really talk. I have been talking to mousey and to climbergirl, they are both very delightful ladies. I have made some very nice new friends during this horrible trial.

I don't think anyone has stated on here but the State SA's have rested their case. It was done shortly before 5:00PM.

The dreaded Defense will start presenting their case Monday morning.

Suber is apparently setting up the appeals that will come if the jury finds him guilty.

I have very mixed emotions about the SA's total case. I really think most of their presentation was good. But I still have lots of questions.

For one....Why didn't they check with FSU for Cheryl' s fingerprints? To get a job as a nurse, teacher etc. ....You must have a fingerprint on file at the time of your employment. I had to file an electronic fingerprint with my School District about 5 years before I retired. That would have been in 2003. All of this is a direct result of 9/11. I am thinking that she would have had a fingerprint record to receive and maintain a valid Nursing License. anyone who is a nurse can jump in here on that.

Two...I am not convinced that the one drop of Cheryl's blood on the shoe lace on the hiking boots is an air tight case. IIRC the shoes were not found in the van...they were found in the dumpster. I may be wrong about this...please feel free to correct me.

I do know that the sleeping bag with Cheryl's blood on it was found in the dumpster. Suber will claim that it could have been placed there by anyone.

So my doubts are clouding my thinking at this time.

Having computer problems with my android phone as a modem and I am about to push my verizon aircard to it 5 GB limit. Verizon has unlimited use on my phone and both flip over to a new month on Feb. 19...over a week from today. If I go over on this...I will be charges 25 cents a minute. I don't pay that bill....so I can not go over. DH will kill me!!!LOL

Signing off for tonight...Hoping that I did not gross anyone out with the hunting story. There was a method for my madness.

Guess I'd better say...night lovingly....sally

I guess anyone could have placed the sleeping bag in the dumpster but GMH's DNA was found on the sleeping bag along with Cheryl's so he is tied to the sleeping bag. I am worried about Suber. I am afraid that GMH could win an appeal on inadequate representation. She rambles, she objects to everything and never states a legal reason. But there seems to be alot of eveidence. Chandra Levy's killer was just convicted on NO DNA and No evidence tying him to the case.

I guess anyone could have placed the sleeping bag in the dumpster but GMH's DNA was found on the sleeping bag along with Cheryl's so he is tied to the sleeping bag. I am worried about Suber. I am afraid that GMH could win an appeal on inadequate representation. She rambles, she objects to everything and never states a legal reason. But there seems to be alot of eveidence. Chandra Levy's killer was just convicted on NO DNA and No evidence tying him to the case.

Suber is a piece of work...I think that she is very smart and cagey. She puts on this persona to the jury that she is trying very hard to be understood but her life experiences have held her back. I have heard her speak with very little accent...She can and will play this game in the courtroom!

I am sure that Judge Hankinson has heard her before, seen her before and is not going to allow her to manipulate him, the jury or his courtroom. I don't know if you could see him...but when I was there Wednesday he would put his head in his hands when she would push him too far! One time he actually messed up his hair and the resulted in him looking like Dr. Spock from Star Treck. :banghead: This is what i pictured him wanting to do on his podium. He has really lost his patience with her on several ocassions and I am hoping she does not use those incidents to further plee for a mistrial.

Very busy today with RL. I may get a chance to give more of my opinions on her as the trial moves forward next week.

DEAR GOD..PLEASE BLESS THE FAMILY OF MY FRIEND CHERYL DUNLAP

SALLY

When Suber would start to ramble and stumble, the judge would say, "Do you have a question, Ms Suber?"

He also told her to be quiet and sit down when she kept interrupting Georgia Cappleman.

I agree, Sally. She knows exactly what she is doing. And so does Paula Saunders, her co-counsel.

I agree with you McDraw, Sally and Climbergirl. Unfortunately, GMH may have grounds for a retrial based on incompetent representation. Suber is confusing and frustrating everyone. Her questions to witnesses are full of double negatives such as "Would you not say that you are not an expert ...." I feel sorry for the court reporters!!!

In order for GMH to get a guilty verdict overturned, he would have to be able to prove that his counsel did such a poor job that it actually prejudiced the defense making the trial unfair.

Florida Rules of Criminal Procedure, 3.112 states that:
Counsel in death penalty cases should be required to perform at the level of an attorney reasonably skilled in the specialized practice of capital representation, zealously committed to the capital case, who has had adequate time and resources for preparation.

It appears that Suber is setting the stage for GMH to ask for a retrial. Is she really this incompetent or is she more concerned about buying time for this client than she is concerned about her own reputation???

A big boo and hiss to the TDO for making their news unavailable....I cannot read the article from the link.....
but am glad I was at least able to watch some of the trial!

Any way that some of you subscribers could copy and paste some of the relevant articles?

I amgoing to make your wish come true...

sally

Prosecutors rested their capital-murder case against Gary Michael Hilton on Friday after powerful testimony from a DNA expert who found Cheryl Dunlap's blood on a sleeping bag and a pair of hiking pants recovered from Hilton's van.

Florida Department of Law Enforcement DNA analyst Jo Ellen Brown said chances were one in 11 trillion that the blood on the blue mummy-style sleeping bag found among Hilton's belongings when he was arrested in 2008 at a Georgia convenience store came from someone other than Dunlap.

"If you gather up every single human on the planet, could you find someone else who matched the DNA profile?" Chief Assistant State Attorney Georgia Cappleman asked Brown.

Brown, who noted the Earth's population of 6.8 billion, replied: "It would be unlikely."

Read more: Prosecutors rest in Hilton trial | tallahassee.com | Tallahassee Democrat http://www.tallahassee.com/article/...rosecutors-rest-in-Hilton-trial#ixzz1DlDS8vNi

Florida Department of Law Enforcement DNA analyst Jo Ellen Brown said chances were one in 11 trillion that the blood on the blue mummy-style sleeping bag found among Hilton's belongings when he was arrested in 2008 at a Georgia convenience store came from someone other than Dunlap.

"If you gather up every single human on the planet, could you find someone else who matched the DNA profile?" Chief Assistant State Attorney Georgia Cappleman asked Brown.

Brown, who noted the Earth's population of 6.8 billion, replied: "It would be unlikely."
Related

Brown went on to say the odds that the blood found on Hilton's blue hiking pants came from someone other than the 46-year-old Crawfordville nurse were one in 29 quadrillion.

Brown also found Dunlap's blood on the shoestring of a Hi-Tec hiking boot, which was found in a trash bin at another Georgia convenience store where Hilton was seen dumping items. His blood also was on the boots.

While Brown was testing a backpack from Hilton's van — one of 768 pieces of evidence in the case that she spent two years analyzing — she came across a small plastic bead that had been overlooked. It was the same kind of child's bead found scattered on the floor of Dunlap's car.

Brown's forensic evidence capped off a day of damaging testimony in the case against Hilton, a 64-year-old drifter, self-described sociopath and confessed killer.

Read more: Prosecutors rest in Hilton trial | tallahassee.com | Tallahassee Democrat http://www.tallahassee.com/article/...rosecutors-rest-in-Hilton-trial#ixzz1DlDtz846

As part of a deal with Georgia officials to avoid the death penalty, Hilton admitted to killing 24-year-old hiker Meredith Emerson there in January 2008, about a month after prosecutors contend he abducted Dunlap from the Leon Sinks Geological Area and killed her in the nearby Apalachicola National Forest. The bodies of Dunlap and Emerson were decapitated. Dunlap's hands also were cut off.

Read more: Prosecutors rest in Hilton trial | tallahassee.com | Tallahassee Democrat http://www.tallahassee.com/article/...rosecutors-rest-in-Hilton-trial#ixzz1DlEXXzVO

If convicted in Dunlap's case, Hilton, who is also a suspect in several other killings, faces the death penalty. Jurors heard Friday that is something Hilton wanted to avoid.

In an audio recording played for them, Hilton tells a Leon County deputy collecting his fingerprints and DNA in February 2008 that he will be glad to give a "full and complete statement" in exchange for immunity from prosecution.

Jurors also heard Hilton tell the deputy while being transported from Georgia to Tallahassee four months later he wasn't all bad, that between his savage military training, his sociopathic character and getting sick and old, he just "lost a grip" on himself.

Corrections officer Caleb Wynn testified that he listened in on a conversation between Hilton and another inmate at the Leon County Jail in August 2008.

"He said if the state would give him life he would tell them where the head was and the family would probably want to know," Wynn said.

A few days later, Wynn again surreptitiously listened to Hilton talk further with the inmate about Dunlap.

"He said the only thing he regretted was getting caught, and if he had a second chance he would do it right," Wynn said.

In exchange for a life sentence, Hilton told the other inmate he would answer all of State Attorney Willie Megg's questions, including how he was able to pull off the crime on busy Crawfordville Highway.

Wynn also reported that Hilton said he spent hours or days with Dunlap, who he knew was a Sunday school teacher.

"Plenty of guys must have wanted her," Wynn recounted Hilton saying.

A DNA swab from Dunlap's thigh was a 1-in-22 match to Hilton, but a sexual assault kit test was inconclusive.

At the jail, the inmate also asked Hilton whether he got a rush from killing, like jumping out of an airplane. Hilton said no.

"It's more like being in the military," Wynn said Hilton replied. "You have to go in and destroy the whole village, like a warrior."

During the conversations, Wynn said Hilton was laughing.

Hilton's team of public defenders will present their case when the trial resumes Monday morning.

Read more: Prosecutors rest in Hilton trial | tallahassee.com | Tallahassee Democrat http://www.tallahassee.com/article/...rosecutors-rest-in-Hilton-trial#ixzz1DlErmuoX

Sally, I do remember having to give fingerprints in 1991 right after I finished nursing school and I had to resubmit when I was a preschool teacher. You post a great question as to why they are not looking to the state of nursing for the prints..Perhaps because they think Suber may "object" and say they(the state board of nursing made a error) Which I would highly doubt, but ya never know.. Wonder if Cheryl had her own desk, pens, personable belongings that would have her prints on them at FSU?
I hope we get thru the week without any talk about mistrials, although I agree Suber is "putting on a show"and may cause a new trial with different representation. That would really stink at this point..I am wondering what Hilton thinks of his legal team?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum
Back