General Discussion Thread #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we know exactly where her head wound was. The entry wound could be visible to someone viewing her face. The exit wound is likely to have caused much more damage, hence the initial impression that she'd been hit with the bat.

Apparently the bullet entered above her right ear.

Obviously, you know much more about the mood in SA than I do. I do get the feeling, however, that OP was, and still is to some, a superstar there. I first sensed OP was getting special treatment when the magistrate granted him bail, but only announced his decision after a two-hour soliloquy, ending with a pregnant 10-second pause where he had the attention of the world in the palm of his hand. Unnecessary drama. I understand bail hearings are to determine whether a suspect is a flight risk, but the charge against this guy is premeditated murder. He put four bullets into someone. Would he have gotten bail if he was not internationally famous?

This case is already full of side shows. More and more surface every day. I will not be surprised if OP ends up walking free, in the midst of all this pomp and circumstance. My hope is that the Steenkamp family has enough pull to prevent this from happening.
Yes I know re the magistrate...and here I thought the yankies were dramatic :p
Was totally overboard. But in all honesty, murderers make bail every day in the country, it's not unusual...what is unusual in this case is the amount??? It's the highest ever set. Predictions on the ground started at 20-25k initially slowly moving up to the 100k mark. His bail is unprecedented.

Yes, I guess to some he is still their hero and people do believe him. Every person who I have come into contact with about the case, be it my friends or people via work have stated they are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and it was just a horrible tragedy. I've got a few Facebook friends that are baying for his blood so I think right now, the ground is pretty even.

I'm not a fan, nor do I care much for him, I'm following my instinct on what facts have been presented so far, and the fact that I think his statement is plausible. If it happened the way he stated, who knows, time will tell us all!

Has anyone found the audio of Judge Nair's address? I listened to part of it, live. I really want to listen to it again, because there is so much detail.

Alternatively, has a transcript been released?

Obviously, you know much more about the mood in SA than I do. I do get the feeling, however, that OP was, and still is to some, a superstar there. I first sensed OP was getting special treatment when the magistrate granted him bail, but only announced his decision after a two-hour soliloquy, ending with a pregnant 10-second pause where he had the attention of the world in the palm of his hand. Unnecessary drama. I understand bail hearings are to determine whether a suspect is a flight risk, but the charge against this guy is premeditated murder. He put four bullets into someone. Would he have gotten bail if he was not internationally famous?

This case is already full of side shows. More and more surface every day. I will not be surprised if OP ends up walking free, in the midst of all this pomp and circumstance. My hope is that the Steenkamp family has enough pull to prevent this from happening.

BBM: I suggest to you that he absolutely would not have gotten bail, nor would he have such sympathy for him, but for his celebrity.

It makes me sick that "we" put celebrities on such a pedestal as to be exempt from the laws which everyday people must abide.

The Steenkamp family has already proven their strength to me thus far, but, I don't believe Reeva's father appeal to OP's "heart" will make one iota of difference.

OP is only looking out for #1. That's it. That's all.

JMO

Yes I know re the magistrate...and here I thought the yankies were dramatic :p
Was totally overboard. But in all honesty, murderers make bail every day in the country, it's not unusual...what is unusual in this case is the amount??? It's the highest ever set. Predictions on the ground started at 20-25k initially slowly moving up to the 100k mark. His bail is unprecedented.

Yes, I guess to some he is still their hero and people do believe him. Every person who I have come into contact with about the case, be it my friends or people via work have stated they are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and it was just a horrible tragedy. I've got a few Facebook friends that are baying for his blood so I think right now, the ground is pretty even.

I'm not a fan, nor do I care much for him, I'm following my instinct on what facts have been presented so far, and the fact that I think his statement is plausible. If it happened the way he stated, who knows, time will tell us all!

Bold by me

This is another reason I think he stands a good chance of walking.

I do appreciate your "insider" point of view!

Has anyone found the audio of Judge Nair's address? I listened to part of it, live. I really want to listen to it again, because there is so much detail.

Alternatively, has a transcript been released?
I think this is it but not sure...it's taking ages to load and its on my iPad which is not user friendly when I'm trying to copy youtube links.

► 148:31► 148:31
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JZB3pwgxvY
4 days ago - Uploaded by EWNonline
Oscar Pistorius is granted bail in the Pretoria Magistrates Court. Pistorius is accused of ...

Uh oh.

I was afraid of this "Developments in the last twenty years have resulted in judicial recognition of the role of psychological factors, other than mental illness, in the negation of criminal responsibility. This recognition is typically expressed in the defence of non-pathological criminal incapacity and encompasses the idea that transient mental states are grounds for exculpation. The acceptance of this defence into South African law widened the scope of expert psychological and psychiatric testimony to include psychological evidence."

http://web.uct.ac.za/depts/psychology/psy400w/insanity.pdf

It seems that recently SA Courts have gotten more lenient as to all sorts of diminished capacity allowing for non-guilty verdicts, or diminished sentence.

Anyone think he will either go free or get a light sentence?

(And maybe his own aunt has been part of the laying the groundrules for some time.)

Yes. I've thought from the start that he'll either walk or get off easy. He's rich and famous; and the justice system is kinder to the rich and famous than it is for the rest of us.

This really, really, makes me fuming angry. :furious:

His PR firm will not be happy with the "he just wants to get on with his life" line. We can probably expect to see some "clarification" soon.

Bold by me

This is another reason I think he stands a good chance of walking.

I do appreciate your "insider" point of view!
Imo..I think he is going to go for a plea bargain. The prosecutor will offer him a plea bargain too if they have nothing else on him..and they will do that to save face! And that will be pretty ****** for us all as we will never learn the truth.

His PR firm will not be happy with the "he just wants to get on with his life" line. We can probably expect to see some "clarification" soon.
Tell me about it, what's stupid thing for his lawyer to say..if he said it at all. Also, his trainer and PR firm have refuted rumors that he is to start training next week.

Last picture of Reeva alive, captured by CCTV video:

article-2283822-18404F92000005DC-565_634x391.jpg

On camera: Miss Steenkamp was pictured on a camera pulling into the guarded entrance of the Silver Woods estate in her Mini Cooper car just before 6pm on the day before Valentine's Day
Miss Steenkamp is seen grinning as security guards let her drive her Mini Cooper into the Silver Woods estate on the outskirts of Pretoria just before 6pm.

Ten minutes later, Paralympic champion Pistorius is also shown arriving in his white BMW.

He uses a lane that is further away from the CCTV camera and it does not capture his facial expression.

The 30 seconds of footage was broadcast on South African television last night.

According to police, soon after the recording was taken the couple started arguing so loudly that his neighbours heard them ‘shouting and screaming’

PISTORIUS'S AUNT IS ONE OF SOUTH AFRICA'S TOP MURDER EXPERTS

In yet another sensational twist to emerge from the Oscar Pistorius case - it has emerged his aunt is one of South Africa's top criminal profilers.

Micki Pistorius, 52, is the author of 'Profiling Serial Killers and other crimes in South Africa' and spent six years in the country's police department as founder of an investigative psychology unit.

She regularly attended court with the rest of the Pistorius family during his bail hearing last week, but has not made any public comment about his case.

I can appreciate that some of the people holding out for his innocence are genuine like Carol, but to me the more his affidavit is analyzed the more it collapses.

Just in the last 12 hours here, you saw how some of us analyzed parts anew. I thnk virtually every sentence is a cover-up, and/or absurdity/improbabilty. E.g. I posted that the casing supposedly found in the toilet appears to have the most horrible of meanings. Otherwise how does firing behind a closed door lead to an ejected cartridge in the toilet. His carrying her down the stairs was to coverup that he already got blood on him from either shooting her from close range or carrying her to the toilet--or both. Every sentence has a far more likely and horrific meaning than his nonsense (to me).

I wonder if there are factors that make some want to believe anything he says?
Public figure
Icon/hero worship
Disabled
Little or no known priors

Is there a limit to the "innocent until proven guilty" thing?

Afterall we are not trying him in court, only saying what each of us thinks is most likely from what we know,

To me, this was one of the most obvious from the getgo.

BTW, Carol, ever hear Rodriguez, aka Sugarman, in SA?

SNIP

I don't know anyone who believes his story.

Okay, a VERY UNSCIENTIFIC POLL.[don't say I didn't tell you]:

http://www.tmz.com/2013/02/23/oscar-pistorius-you-be-the-judge/

The public votes on OP's guilt or innocence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MairinAmaliah