General Discussion Thread #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Man. Superman. Gunman.”

Oscar makes Time Magazine cover.
http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/oscar-makes-time-magazine-cover-1.1478831#.US-cLjcs1ac

684352409.jpg

What are they thinking?
:furious:

What do you think of this comment?

"I would respectfully suggest, too, that m agistrate Desmond Nair who heard the bail application, acted unwisely, first in hearing unnecessary evidence, and second in commenting on it in a lengthy judgment. Why not start by assuming for the sake of the argument that this was a schedule 6 offence and that bail would be granted only in exceptional circumstances? If, as he found, there were clearly such circumstances particularly in the case of a man with two artificial legs, then he need have gone no further. There was no need to analyse the evidence. Instead, he not only embarked on that exercise but went on to comment at length on both prosecution and defence cases, and the media were of course entitled to report all that went on. Thus the fire was kindled.

Is it not in the interests of both the prosecution and defence to shut this debate down? Should not the director of public prosecutions take action? And how unwise of the accused to try and spin his case on his website; he will be open to cross-examination at his trial on every word he has posted.

It is difficult to escape the conclusion that the licence permitted to the media in the Pistorius case is hardly likely to encourage the English courts to extradite Shrien Dewani."

John J Smyth QC

Director, Justice Alliance of SA

http://www.bdlive.co.za/opinion/letters/2013/02/27/letter-pistorius-case-full-of-legal-failures

Twist

Both Taylor-Memmory and Pistorius were living in Silver Lakes Estate in the east of Pretoria.

In a strange recent twist to the case, Botha told the Mail & Guardian that Taylor-Memmory had not reported the 2009 incident to the police, nor laid charges against Pistorius. "The cell's register does not show he was even processed at the station or booked in," she said.

The case was to be heard in the North Gauteng High Court on February 20 this year, but Pistorius's legal representative asked to negotiate a settlement weeks before his dramatic arrest for the murder of his model girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.

Pistorius's arrest in the 2009 incident was apparently handled by Hilton Botha, the lead investigator in the Pistorius murder case, who was dismissed from the latter investigation after it was found he was facing seven charges of attempted murder. Botha could not be reached for comment. Pistorius's lawyer, Gary Pritchard, confirmed on Wednesday that confidential settlement talks were taking place and declined to comment further.

http://mg.co.za/article/2013-02-01-00-prior-assault-claim-stalks-oscar-pistorius

Twist

Both Taylor-Memmory and Pistorius were living in Silver Lakes Estate in the east of Pretoria.

In a strange recent twist to the case, Botha told the Mail & Guardian that Taylor-Memmory had not reported the 2009 incident to the police, nor laid charges against Pistorius. "The cell's register does not show he was even processed at the station or booked in," she said.

The case was to be heard in the North Gauteng High Court on February 20 this year, but Pistorius's legal representative asked to negotiate a settlement weeks before his dramatic arrest for the murder of his model girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.

Pistorius's arrest in the 2009 incident was apparently handled by Hilton Botha, the lead investigator in the Pistorius murder case, who was dismissed from the latter investigation after it was found he was facing seven charges of attempted murder. Botha could not be reached for comment. Pistorius's lawyer, Gary Pritchard, confirmed on Wednesday that confidential settlement talks were taking place and declined to comment further.

http://mg.co.za/article/2013-02-01-00-prior-assault-claim-stalks-oscar-pistorius

Wonder if this is why Botha said he "knew" Mr. P in the bail hearing.

I was afraid yesterday, when I saw the article on family financial issues, that some media would state a settlement will be discussed. Don't know if it is true or not, however, if the family is okay with it, then they are okay with it. I am certain they feel the truth may never be told and if the system is corrupt that OP will walk free anyway.

Wonder if this is why Botha said he "knew" Mr. P in the bail hearing.

I was afraid yesterday, when I saw the article on family financial issues, that some media would state a settlement will be discussed. Don't know if it is true or not, however, if the family is okay with it, then they are okay with it. I am certain they feel the truth may never be told and if the system is corrupt that OP will walk free anyway.
http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/has-oscar-helped-reeva-s-struggling-family-1.1479001

Im still thinking about how I feel about this! :p

Oh, I see. A donation. Well, that is okay too. I imagine it would make OP feel a very wee bit better and it may be thought good PR?

He still would have to stand trial but it would get him out of a civil lawsuit if he had some sort of financial settlement with RS' family. I guess it really depends on how much he would compensate them and if they would accept that.

ETA: That time article is legit, it's on their site. I agree he shouldn't be on there but then again Time (and probably most magazines) always put more focus on the accused than the victim. I don't remember seeing Nicole Brown Simpson on any covers. In fact, I don't recall seeing a whole lot of Caylee Anthony either for that matter.

Seems to think that money can buy his way out of anything. If it were my daughter I'd tell him to stick his donation up his *advertiser censored* !!

I think some be misconstruing an above post.

It was about OP's lawyer arranging a settlement with the woman he slammed the door on, not Reeva.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323478304578332152787256208.html?model=e2tw

More on the substance found in OP's home. Note at the bottom, he was tested eight times in six years. That's less than twice a year. Perhaps the threat of testing is not strong enough to deter these athletes.

It's not just about the testing though. These days the athletes have so many different ways to get 'around' the testing, just look at Lance Armstrong. Track and Field has long been rife with PED's and it's even worse in international countries.

One early theory of mine (that still on the table for me) is that he was on something that night that led to his actions. I can even foresee a scenario where it went down exactly how he says, his decision making influenced by steroids (not checking on RS, firing blindly, paranoia, etc).

Oh most definitely. He is now no longer famous for running in the Olympics, he will always be known as the athlete who shot his girlfriend.

Btw, what are thoughts about Reevas family disclosing to the press that they are now in dire financial trouble as Reeva used to support them??
I really hope they don't buckle to pressure and accept any kind of assistance from OP if he offers. I'm not sure how good that would look?
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Reevas-parents-struggling-financially-20130227

What about her will, did she not make money modelling, and then doing that TV Reality Show, maybe that is why her parents wanted the show to go on after her death, but still very sad at this point in their life, that they have to worry about paying rent.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323478304578332152787256208.html?model=e2tw

More on the substance found in OP's home. Note at the bottom, he was tested eight times in six years. That's less than twice a year. Perhaps the threat of testing is not strong enough to deter these athletes.

But if he was using this substance, it could raise testosterone level above the normal level. Could is the operative word. Sounds like it didn't raise his testosterone enough to raise a red flag. Assuming it worked at all, considering article claims these substances are diluted.

It's not just about the testing though. These days the athletes have so many different ways to get 'around' the testing, just look at Lance Armstrong. Track and Field has long been rife with PED's and it's even worse in international countries.

One early theory of mine (that still on the table for me) is that he was on something that night that led to his actions. I can even foresee a scenario where it went down exactly how he says, his decision making influenced by steroids (not checking on RS, firing blindly, paranoia, etc).

This is my theory as well. He must have been under the influence of something.

Coincidentally, as I type this I'm listening to a radio ad for "Andro 400, a natural testosterone booster".

I believe the reports say he was tested for drugs/substances after this incident.
I don't believe anything was reported about his results?

But if he was using this substance, it could raise testosterone level above the normal level. Could is the operative word. Sounds like it didn't raise his testosterone enough to raise a red flag. Assuming it worked at all, considering article claims these substances are diluted.

There's alwasy the chance he wasn't using it as directed though. Maybe he double, triple dosed. All guesses at this point.

What do you think of this comment?

"I would respectfully suggest, too, that m agistrate Desmond Nair who heard the bail application, acted unwisely, first in hearing unnecessary evidence, and second in commenting on it in a lengthy judgment. Why not start by assuming for the sake of the argument that this was a schedule 6 offence and that bail would be granted only in exceptional circumstances? If, as he found, there were clearly such circumstances particularly in the case of a man with two artificial legs, then he need have gone no further. There was no need to analyse the evidence. Instead, he not only embarked on that exercise but went on to comment at length on both prosecution and defence cases, and the media were of course entitled to report all that went on. Thus the fire was kindled.

Is it not in the interests of both the prosecution and defence to shut this debate down? Should not the director of public prosecutions take action? And how unwise of the accused to try and spin his case on his website; he will be open to cross-examination at his trial on every word he has posted.

It is difficult to escape the conclusion that the licence permitted to the media in the Pistorius case is hardly likely to encourage the English courts to extradite Shrien Dewani."

John J Smyth QC

Director, Justice Alliance of SA

http://www.bdlive.co.za/opinion/letters/2013/02/27/letter-pistorius-case-full-of-legal-failures

I am a member of the media myself, and I completely agree with this assessment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maia1919