General Gun Violence/Gun Control

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The men in your life go to movies and restaurants, church and stores wearing a gun? Why? And why only the men?
That's Texas. They do it as a means of self-defense, to feel safer and because it's their right. I don't think those of us outside that culture can understand the logic, but we can try. I'm just glad no one in my apartment or neighbourhood has a gun, or if they do it's under lock and key with the ammunition stored separately until they go hunting. If half my neighbours had guns, maybe I'd want one too?

That's Texas. They do it as a means of self-defense, to feel safer and because it's their right. I don't think those of us outside that culture can understand the logic, but we can try. I'm just glad no one in my apartment or neighbourhood has a gun, or if they do it's under lock and key with the ammunition stored separately until they go hunting. If half my neighbours had guns, maybe I'd want one too?

Self defense against what, though? Some homicidal maniac running rampant through the town? From what I can gather through anecdotal information nearly everyone in Texas is well versed in carrying weapons; they are all stable individuals who've grown up with weapons in the home, follow safe gun storage and handling and never point a gun at someone unless they plan on pulling the trigger.

The rest of the world seems to get along just fine not carryings guns to pick up a pizza, grab a coffee, shop for groceries or go to the barber, etc. If Texans don't feel safe then maybe all those guns have something to do with that since mass shootings have become a weekly event.

The issue has become the chicken or the egg conundrum.

<modsnip - quoted post and response were specific case discussion>

The Uvalde parents begged their legislature to enact gun restrictions. They were ignored. JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a gun owner, but I think there should be common sense laws put in place. I didn't take an official course on safety, but my buddy had me watch videos on how my gun "works", safety, etc., before he would teach me how to properly fire my gun.

I see no need for AR-15 styled fire arms to be in the possession of normal citizens. Same buddy and I went to a shooting range and he let me try out his AR-15. I own a .38 snub nosed revolver. When you fire it, the recoil stings. Every shot, your palm feels it. When firing his AR-15, no such thing. Just indiscriminately spraying bullets. In my opinion, if you find yourself in the position where you feel it's necessary to take a person's life for your safety, you should feel that sting.

I'm a gun owner, but I think there should be common sense laws put in place. I didn't take an official course on safety, but my buddy had me watch videos on how my gun "works", safety, etc., before he would teach me how to properly fire my gun.

I see no need for AR-15 styled fire arms to be in the possession of normal citizens. Same buddy and I went to a shooting range and he let me try out his AR-15. I own a .38 snub nosed revolver. When you fire it, the recoil stings. Every shot, your palm feels it. When firing his AR-15, no such thing. Just indiscriminately spraying bullets. In my opinion, if you find yourself in the position where you feel it's necessary to take a person's life for your safety, you should feel that sting.
Why do you feel the need to own a .38?

Agree, and it would be a big help if LE enforced the laws that are already on the books.

JMO

I have three 38 revolvers, loaded in various places in my home at this moment.
Let’s just assume any law abiding citizen who has such guns feels they need protection, and questions if the nearest law officers would arrive in time to protect them.

How would you protect yourself if someone-
- broke into your home in the middle of the night?
- tried to abduct you and take you in your car at a gas station?

The question itself is bias- it assumes there is zero legitimate reason to own a gun.

What is the saying…
When seconds count, law enforcement is only minutes away.

JMO

Last edited:
Agree, and it would be a big help if LE enforced the laws that are already on the books.

JMO
Agree. Until prosecutors and courts get serious about enforcing the laws already on the books, there is no point in enacting new laws. They literally only punish the law abiding.

I have three 38 revolvers, loaded in various places in my home at this moment.
Let’s just assume any law abiding citizen who has such guns feels they need protection, and questions if the nearest law officers would arrive in time to protect them.

How would you protect yourself if someone
- broke into your home in the middle of the night?
- tried to abduct you and take your car at a gas station?

I’m amazed that people ask such questions- the question itself assumes there could be zero legitimate reason to own a gun.

What is the saying…
When seconds count, law enforcement is only minutes away.

JMO
I think you missed my point.

Primarily, because I live alone and had been debating (especially which brand & type) it for years.

The decision to purchase a gun was ultimately made because of a case of a bicyclist who was abducted and murdered on their bike ride home (the case that introduced me to this website, actually). That same summer, I had been making solo bicycling trips across my state.

I don't want to live in fear.

Primarily, because I live alone and had been debating (especially which brand & type) it for years.

The decision to purchase a gun was ultimately made because of a case of a bicyclist who was abducted and murdered on their bike ride home (the case that introduced me to this website, actually). That same summer, I had been making solo bicycling trips across my state.

I don't want to live in fear.
Do you practice frequently with it? A snub nose is difficult to be accurate with without a lot of practice.

Do you practice frequently with it? A snub nose is difficult to be accurate with without a lot of practice.

<modsnip - personalizing>

Accuracy is function of practice, but also of comfort and distance.
Guns meant for home protection are meant to be shot within the spaces of a home.
Anyone who can’t hit a target across a room in their home probably shouldn’t have any gun.

JMO

Agree. Until prosecutors and courts get serious about enforcing the laws already on the books, there is no point in enacting new laws. They literally only punish the law abiding.

Until laws are enforced to a level that law abiding citizens aren’t in fear of being targets-
people in some places will feel the need to own a gun for protection.
<modsnip - specific case discussion belongs in the specific case thread>

JMO

<modsnip - personalizing>

Accuracy is function of practice, but also of comfort and distance.
Guns meant for home protection are meant to be shot within the spaces of a home.
Anyone who can’t hit a target across a room in their home probably shouldn’t have any gun.

JMO

When I worked for the OPP a lot of LE members said just having a weapon in your hand doesn't make you a good shot. They said adrenal can make your aim terrible which is why so many incidences end up with multiple rounds being expended. So if you are scared for your life when encountering suspects in your home you may not always hit your target.

I was lucky enough to be a civilian who was allowed to take part in some of the dynamic simulation training new recruits were instructed in. I was a pretty good shot when just at the range but that accuracy didn't translate well in simulation scenarios. I ended up 'killing' a little boy who was playing with a toy gun.

When I worked for the OPP a lot of LE members said just having a weapon in your hand doesn't make you a good shot. They said adrenal can make your aim terrible which is why so many incidences end up with multiple rounds being expended. So if you are scared for your life when encountering suspects in your home you may not always hit your target.

I was lucky enough to be a civilian who was allowed to take part in some of the dynamic simulation training new recruits were instructed in. I was a pretty good shot when just at the range but that accuracy didn't translate well in simulation scenarios. I ended up 'killing' a little boy who was playing with a toy gun.

Absolutely, having a gun Is not the same thing as knowing and understanding
- what it can do
- how it works
- how to use it
- how to store it
- how to clean it
- laws of gun ownership
- laws of gun use
- human consequences of gun use.
My dad was a wise man, too bad more fathers do not take the time, have the skills, and are as motivated as he was to teach us about guns.

”Anything that can take a life must be viewed and treated with the utmost respect. You can’t put a shot bullet back into a gun.” Dad

JMO

In my state you can submit a formal request to have your family member’s weapons confiscated, but it is only temporary. And you have to be a blood relative or spouse, they don’t accept requests from a concerned neighbor, coworker, etc.

Edit: and there is no guarantee that the request will be granted, or enforced in a timely manner
Why wouldn't a spouse or blood relative be concerned? I sure would be.

In my state you can submit a formal request to have your family member’s weapons confiscated, but it is only temporary. And you have to be a blood relative or spouse, they don’t accept requests from a concerned neighbor, coworker, etc.

Edit: and there is no guarantee that the request will be granted, or enforced in a timely manner
what state is this?

Self defense against what, though? Some homicidal maniac running rampant through the town? From what I can gather through anecdotal information nearly everyone in Texas is well versed in carrying weapons; they are all stable individuals who've grown up with weapons in the home, follow safe gun storage and handling and never point a gun at someone unless they plan on pulling the trigger.

The rest of the world seems to get along just fine not carryings guns to pick up a pizza, grab a coffee, shop for groceries or go to the barber, etc. If Texans don't feel safe then maybe all those guns have something to do with that since mass shootings have become a weekly event.

The issue has become the chicken or the egg conundrum.

I have always only spoken for myself…
Has there been a ‘homicidal maniac running around rampant through the state’?
Yes, he was caught sometime yesterday. Does this happen regularly? Yes.

The crime rate 45 min from where I live is much higher than where I live.
Why?
gun access, poverty, gangs, drug cartels, the current border crisis, racism, etc. I don’t know.

Yes, I agree that the Pandora’s box of guns has already been opened and the evils of guns are already lose. So who decides to give their guns up first? Not me.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members