General Gun Violence/Gun Control

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If any of your weapons are ‘assault-style’ I think at some point those guns will be banned, imo. Otherwise I don’t believe anyone is suggesting that America is going to outlaw firearms.

I don’t know you, but my sense is that you’re a responsible gun owner. My question would be is how your community would know that, and how they know that of all gun owners?

I read that vehicles have more regulations than guns in the US, which I’m hoping is a general statement that doesn’t apply everywhere. But, how are you all tracking firearm owners and making sure they comply with regulations, etc?
But what is an "assault style" weapon? It is just a made up term. A legislature can define it, ban it, It holds up. then just gradually adds to what is considered "assault" weapons. I own a WW2 era semi auto rifle. I have lever action rifles whose interior magazines will carry more than 10 rounds. Will they be banned? Why should they?

As for more regulations for cars than guns, I'm not sure that is accurate. Are some states banning cars that go over a certain speed? Are they they restricting sales of cars to certain people?

But what is an "assault style" weapon? It is just a made up term. A legislature can define it, ban it, It holds up. then just gradually adds to what is considered "assault" weapons. I own a WW2 era semi auto rifle. I have lever action rifles whose interior magazines will carry more than 10 rounds. Will they be banned? Why should they?

As for more regulations for cars than guns, I'm not sure that is accurate. Are some states banning cars that go over a certain speed? Are they they restricting sales of cars to certain people?
If you don’t see the proliferation of weapons in the US corresponding to the epidemic of gun violence and why other countries are banning those weapons there’s likely nothing I could say or quote that would be useful. In Canada we’ve decided there’s no good reason for the general public to own ‘assault-style’ weapons. Over 80% agree.

I’d have to look for the reference, but after a recent mass shooting a US leader said it’s more difficult to purchase and register a car and be licensed than it is for a person to purchase etc. a firearm, which was my point.

This commentary referred to a similar idea:

“I remember well a commentary in The Baltimore Sun by a Maryland gun owner after the mass murdering of over 50 individuals in Las Vegas in 2017. He wrote how he thought “it should be more difficult to buy a gun than to drive a car, yet there’s a lot more hardship involved in getting a driver’s license.

The title of this thread is "General Gun Violence/Gun Control".

The topic is not just "assault weapons". I think that concentrating on banning a type of firearm that statistically is used in an overall small number of homicides is not the answer.

On a personal basis I'm more concerned about being attacked at the grocery store by a mentally ill homeless person using their hands, feet or a knife to seriously injure or kill me.

Or a drug addict who's been on a meth binge and hasn't slept for 5 days breaking into my home and attacking me because he thinks it's someone else's home.

Or a teenage carjacker using a stolen handgun to take my Maverick from me to joyride or do a drive by shooting.

Assault weapon bans do absolutely nothing to address these real life threats to my safety. Concentrating on those bans vs spending more resources on mental heath care and things like drug court and tougher sentences for felons and other prohibited persons in possession of a firearm would be a good start IMO.

All JMO.

Once again, no one has an answer to my question about the Sacramento shooters.

No one has a solution for courts that will not support families seeking guardianship to protect love ones & communities.

No one offers a different civil right to carve up.

btw, those high-capacity magazines are great at the range to really improve your shooting position.

jmho ymmv lrr

If you don’t see the proliferation of weapons in the US corresponding to the epidemic of gun violence and why other countries are banning those weapons there’s likely nothing I could say or quote that would be useful. In Canada we’ve decided there’s no good reason for the general public to own ‘assault-style’ weapons. Over 80% agree.

I’d have to look for the reference, but after a recent mass shooting a US leader said it’s more difficult to purchase and register a car and be licensed than it is for a person to purchase etc. a firearm, which was my point.

This commentary referred to a similar idea:

“I remember well a commentary in The Baltimore Sun by a Maryland gun owner after the mass murdering of over 50 individuals in Las Vegas in 2017. He wrote how he thought “it should be more difficult to buy a gun than to drive a car, yet there’s a lot more hardship involved in getting a driver’s license.
I think part of my issue is still being missed. When we talk about banning "assault" weapons, what is meant? I get the feeling that what is really being insinuated is "semi-automatic." Is that what you would want to see in a ban?
To buy a gun from a dealer you need to be 18 or 21, have an id, pass a background check. You just need money to buy a car. Sure, you can buy a gun no questions asked in a private sale or on the street. But that is the same anywhere.

I think part of my issue is still being missed. When we talk about banning "assault" weapons, what is meant? I get the feeling that what is really being insinuated is "semi-automatic." Is that what you would want to see in a ban?
To buy a gun from a dealer you need to be 18 or 21, have an id, pass a background check. You just need money to buy a car. Sure, you can buy a gun no questions asked in a private sale or on the street. But that is the same anywhere.
I always thought that an "assault rifle" is so deadly because it has a pistol grip. My Mini-14 does not have a pistol grip so it's less lethal. JMO.

Good evening y’all! I’ll be creating a new thread, so prepare to continue the discussion there in a few minutes.

Continue the discussion here:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member