General Gun Violence/Gun Control

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have a link to support the BBM as I am unaware of those incidents but would love to learn more as that is quite dangerous and unusual behavior from a concealed carry individual. More interested in the teacher aspect as that is what is being discussed. TIA

I have to go to bed but hopefully I have posted enough examples for you. I will add more concealed carry individuals who have left their firearms unattended at schools almost all in school bathrooms if you feel like these are still too little and isolated events. And I AGREE QUITE DANGEROUS behavior but I do not see it being unusual at all. And these are just at schools. Not sure of concealed carry permits in your area but here they are very easy to get and require very little training. My friends who have concealed carry permits called the training a joke.

The truth is that the United States cannot control the vast amount of drugs, people and other items on the Southern border. If automatic weapons are outlawed in the United States, the trade on the border in automatic weapons will be astronomical.

And truthfully, anyone can purchase a weapon, add a bump stock, change a few pieces, easily done by watching a YouTube video on gunsmithing, and make an automatic weapon. Banning assault guns, won't really change anything. People who want them will be able to purchase them, or alter legal guns to make it semi automatic.

A century ago people felt that alcohol was dangerous to society, and the United States voted for Prohibition, no alcohol was legal in the United States. After 13 years it was repealed.

My belief is that making guns more difficult to obtain, would create an underground of sales, similar to prohibition.
That's not a good comparison because pure politics was behind Prohibition, and it was repealed because it resulted in a substantial increase in violence by organized crime.

Nobody is trying to take away all guns. All I want is for common sense to prevail. Red Flag laws do serve as a protection order to protect the public.

Stats prove that the during the period the sale of semi-automatic weapons were made illegal by Congress, 1994-2004, the number of deaths due to mass killings was reduced. But more importantly, a surgeon and his associates studied the data and came to this conclusion:

But given that many of the high-profile mass shooters in recent years purchased their weapons less than one year before committing their acts, the evidence suggests that it might.
The Conversation

I have to go to bed but hopefully I have posted enough examples for you. I will add more concealed carry individuals who have left their firearms unattended at schools almost all in school bathrooms if you feel like these are still too little and isolated events. And I AGREE QUITE DANGEROUS behavior but I do not see it being unusual at all. And these are just at schools. Not sure of concealed carry permits in your area but here they are very easy to get and require very little training. My friends who have concealed carry permits called the training a joke.
Thank you for the links. Highly troubling and unprofessional. JMO

Thank you for the links. Highly troubling and unprofessional. JMO
I agree. It would be nice to expect people to have the common sense to not leave their gun laying around willy nilly.

Looks like the only solution to all of this violence is "common sense gun control" whatever that means. JMO.

The truth is that the United States cannot control the vast amount of drugs, people and other items on the Southern border. If automatic weapons are outlawed in the United States, the trade on the border in automatic weapons will be astronomical.

And truthfully, anyone can purchase a weapon, add a bump stock, change a few pieces, easily done by watching a YouTube video on gunsmithing, and make an automatic weapon. Banning assault guns, won't really change anything. People who want them will be able to purchase them, or alter legal guns to make it semi automatic.
The semi-automatic weapons are made right here in the USA. If someone wants to buy one, they should be required to undergo a background check and get a permit.

VP Harris meets with 'Tennessee Three' in surprise visit to Nashville after expulsions over gun protests​

I truly don't understand why any politician is against protecting the safety of innocent children while they are in school.

I agree. It would be nice to expect people to have the common sense to not leave their gun laying around willy nilly.

Looks like the only solution to all of this violence is "common sense gun control" whatever that means. JMO.

I mean, it is? It all comes down to laws. IMO, anyone shown to be behaving irresponsibly with their gun, forfeits their right to a gun for the rest of their life. Your kid takes a gun to school? Even if no one gets hurt? Done. You're found to have a gun laying around willy nilly with kids in the home? You're done. Someone gets hurt, even accidentally, because of your gun? Done. Your kid hurts someone with your gun? You go to prison and when you get out, you're done with gun ownership. First strike, you're out of the game forever.

MOO.

I mean, it is? It all comes down to laws. IMO, anyone shown to be behaving irresponsibly with their gun, forfeits their right to a gun for the rest of their life. Your kid takes a gun to school? Even if no one gets hurt? Done. You're found to have a gun laying around willy nilly with kids in the home? You're done. Someone gets hurt, even accidentally, because of your gun? Done. Your kid hurts someone with your gun? You go to prison and when you get out, you're done with gun ownership. First strike, you're out of the game forever.

MOO.
I agree that we need extremely harsh penalties for illegal use and dangerous handling of firearms.

Making it more expensive or taking a longer period of time for a legitimate gun purchase by a law abiding citizen doesn't make a dent in the deaths caused by miscreants armed with guns. JMO.

I agree that we need extremely harsh penalties for illegal use and dangerous handling of firearms.

Making it more expensive or taking a longer period of time for a legitimate gun purchase by a law abiding citizen doesn't make a dent in the deaths caused by miscreants armed with guns. JMO.

IMO, those things help too. No one should be able to buy a gun on impulse. That's a red flag to me. I also have no problem with guns being more expensive. I'd be in favor of a gun tax, given that they contribute heavily to the astronomical costs of the healthcare system, not only for acute stays but also in terms of morbidity and mortality. MOO

Hopefully they grow up to oust all the current crop of lawmakers and pass some sane gun legislation.
A lot of those protestors looked very close to age 18. This opinion piece raises the question of whether the ouster of the two black politicians was legal and it also says:

For example, Nashville Mayor John Cooper has already said there will be a council meeting Monday to send Jones “right back to continue serving his constituents.”

IMO, those things help too. No one should be able to buy a gun on impulse. That's a red flag to me. I also have no problem with guns being more expensive. I'd be in favor of a gun tax, given that they contribute heavily to the astronomical costs of the healthcare system, not only for acute stays but also in terms of morbidity and mortality. MOO
Thanks for reply. I guess a person who wants to harm others can change their mind if the only way they think it's possible is to buy a gun at a moments notice and it's not possible.

I sure don't want to be around someone that is able to switch from being malevolent to harmless because of a gun purchase waiting period. What happens if this person decides to use a knife instead of a gun to harm someone?

The victim could be easily killed or severely injured in a knife attack. JMO.

Thanks for reply. I guess a person who wants to harm others can change their mind if the only way they think it's possible is to buy a gun at a moments notice and it's not possible.

I sure don't want to be around someone that is able to switch from being malevolent to harmless because of a gun purchase waiting period. What happens if this person decides to use a knife instead of a gun to harm someone?

Sure, but a knife is more intimate and IME, not as deadly, depending on whether or not the victim can fight back. But also, just because a knife may be available doesn't mean we should make guns more accessible. I'm not sure I understand the drawback to a prolonged waiting period?

MOO.

They woul work better if they were actually enforced and applied to all gun sales, including private sales and gun shows. All registered, like you register your car. Big fines and confiscation for violations.
Just one perspective of guns smuggled into Canada:

Where are Ontario’s crime guns coming from? New data shows top U.S. source states

In a recent Ohio case, a criminal network was procuring handguns from private sales and gun shows — at least 200 of them — which were destined for the Greater Toronto Area, according to U.S. court documents.

Just one example ... how many more are there in the USA? How is it that something identified as a criminal network is legally able to purchase guns? And this is just one example of smuggling into Canada :rolleyes:

Red Flag laws save lives. Mass killings haven't been via knife.

The suspects in the shootings at a Uvalde, Texas, elementary school and a Buffalo, New York, supermarket were both just 18, authorities say, when they bought the weapons used in the attacks — too young to legally purchase alcohol or cigarettes, but old enough to arm themselves with assault-style weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbod153