George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin General discussion

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have intentionally tried to avoid ALL media on this case (and that is VERY difficult seeing how I live in the state of Florida.)

Point taken on the fact that those tweets have not been verified. I will go back and edit my comment to state such.

If the defense has them in their discovery i'm pretty sure they have been verified.

They plan on using them if they need to.

All of it is in the discovery.

I am sure this has probably been discussed ad nauseum, but I am new to following this case, so please forgive in advance. :)

What are the theories about why GZ called a non-emergency number if he thought TM looked so suspicious? GZ seemed to infer or imply that TM may have a weapon (hand in his waistband) and may have been on drugs.

IMO, those sound like LE 'dog whistles' that would seem to convey this was a potentially dangerous guy.

So why not call 911?

I have the local Non emergency number in my phone also. I only call 911 for a fire, dire emergency.. but the non emergency is basically call the police and reporting something that is not an emergency. I have called it for stray dogs, a car sitting in front of my home for hours with tinted windows...

I think it lends itself to GZ credibility.

I am sure this has probably been discussed ad nauseum, but I am new to following this case, so please forgive in advance. :)

What are the theories about why GZ called a non-emergency number if he thought TM looked so suspicious? GZ seemed to infer or imply that TM may have a weapon (hand in his waistband) and may have been on drugs.

IMO, those sound like LE 'dog whistles' that would seem to convey this was a potentially dangerous guy.

So why not call 911?
It wasn't an emergency at that moment (no risk of life).

So why not call 911?

IMO, and this is based on my memory of things I have read, not necessarily entirely factual.

The reason he called the NEN was because it was programmed into his phone. If I am recalling correctly, he had called into 911 (or the NEN) 48 times in a 2 month period. Even if not programmed, he knew it by heart or was written down in his car or something.

I could be wrong about the numbers - but it was A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I was reading them, I was thinking to myself "I bet these people were sick of this guy calling for this kind of crap!"

But again, that was my take on what I read.

I have the local Non emergency number in my phone also. I only call 911 for a fire, dire emergency.. but the non emergency is basically call the police and reporting something that is not an emergency. I have called it for stray dogs, a car sitting in front of my home for hours with tinted windows...

I think it lends itself to GZ credibility.

that all depends on where you live - i've lived in places where if you call a on emergency number to police, you can easily be on hold for 20 minutes b4 talking to some one, and where i am now, the station stops answering the phones after 8pm or 10pm, so i have always called 911

I don't think he was either.

the state charged 2nd degree, not 1st.

That was my point. If he left his car that night with the intent to shoot someone, TM or otherwise, he would have been charged with 1st. He wasn't. And I don't believe they undercharged or anything.

I don't know why they would be. It depends on what he was calling about. If it was NW stuff they would want to know. that is their job to report things to police that are suspicious or crimes. IT is meant to PREVENT crime.

This judge seems to really dislike the defense team.

It's not personal. This judge is following the letter of the law. She doesn't allow speaking objections, she cites case law and makes a ruling. It's so refreshing to see a no nonsense judge on the bench!

that all depends on where you live - i've lived in places where if you call a on emergency number to police, you can easily be on hold for 20 minutes b4 talking to some one, and where i am now, the station stops answering the phones after 8pm or 10pm, so i have always called 911

The NEN around here is county dispatch offices anyway. IT all goes through the same system.

http://axiomamnesia.com/TrayvonMartinFiles/NWProgramHandbook.pdf

This is the neighborhood watch handbook for Sanford, FL.

It clearly states that you should not attempt to follow or confront a suspicious person.

It doesn't specifically say anything about not being able to have a fire arm on you bc of Stand Your Ground Laws.

The handbook also says it is OK to conduct neighborhood watch from your car.

However, the handbook does say regardless to not approach a suspicious person.

Also it says to only call 9-1-1 if you notice a threat happening, not if you think someone is suspicious.

A blatant emotional display in front of a jury? It's extremely troubling for obvious reasons.

ok - no one was saying this when TA's family would leave the court room - and even ran out crying a few times because of pics and recordings, we need to keep the same standards imo - it breaks his mothers heart to hear her dead sons voce

A blatant emotional display in front of a jury? It's extremely troubling for obvious reasons.

Which is why she left right? Doesn't the judge tell people that if they can't handle certain testimony or they're about to have a show of emotion they should leave? I seem to recall Travis' family doing this several times as well.

TBH, I have no opinion on this case yet, really, and seeing someone leave the courtroom emotionally would have no affect on my opinion. I would think it's to be expected but it has no bearing on the case or my opinion. I don't think anyone did anything wrong.

Remember, no matter how you feel about Trayvon, he was still someone's son and it's still going to be very hard for them to deal with this trial and his death. Have some compassion.

No, it would not. You would go to jail and be charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault, or murder depending on the outcome of the shooting. There has to be an act of aggression towards you for deadly force to be used. Someone walking behind you, even stopping when you do, is not aggressive. You having been raped before, although tragic, has no bearing on the right of the individual to be in a public place, conducting a lawful activity, and gives you zero right to end their life (or attempt to).

IMO

Sad thing is even if the person I shot ended up being a serial killer that had raped and killed 4 people in the apartment complex, I could still be found guilty and spend my life in prison....

I will say I wonder how much of that FL law played a part in his decision to shoot; thinking there was more protection from the law???

The Judge ruled they couldn't use the texts, photo's or weed use.

If the prosecution brings ups GZ's past then TM's past is fair game.

They (either side) could not bring up the pasts of either Zimmerman nor Martin in the opening statements.

So, under FL law as a woman walking home at night, if I was to see a man following me, and I noticed that even when I stopped he was still there so I continued to walk.

My scenario I don't want to go to my apartment because I don't want this strange man to know where I live, but he continues to follow me, I am beginning to seriously fear for my life, I had been raped in the past so my fear was heightened to severe anxiety, and this man is not going away.

I have a gun in my purse, I turn around and he is still walking toward me so I shoot; would that be considered within my rights?

Good Q. and a very interesting scenario. I would assume if you dialed 911...kept them on line while you verbally tell the person to back off and he/she keeps coming..maybe. But how about shooting a burglar in your home. They are just there to steal.Can you shoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hillbillywest403