Germany/Portugal - Christian Brueckner, 27 @ time of 1st crime (2004), charged with sexual assault crimes, Praia de Rocha, Portugal. #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but we seem to be forgetting here that the court is in possession of full transcripts of what all three witnessess have said and claim to have seen. That and what they say in court is what the judges will base their eventual rulings on, not media reporting.
Absolutely, which is why I place little value on much of what media sources print and broadcast.

Absolutely, which is why I place little value on much of what media sources print and broadcast.

I think some of the reporting can be taken as accurate enough. It will still leave gaps that we can only speculate upon but that's always going to be the case where court transcripts are not available. But broadly speaking, anything in the tabs that includes terms like 'fiend in his sordir lair' or 'bombshell' or 'in a horrifying new twist' or 'exclusive!!' can be discounted for the click-baity sensational nonsense it clearly is.

Last edited:
I think some of the reporting can be taken as accurate enough. It will still leave gaps that we can only speculate upon but that's always going to be the case where court transcripts are not available. But broadly speaking, anything in the tabs that includes terms like 'fiend in his sordir lair' or 'bombshell' or 'in a horrifying new twist' or 'exclusive!!' can be discounted for the click-baity sensational nonsense it clearly is.
I'm not so sure. We can all detect and reject the obvious rubbish, but I've read 3 or 4 different 'reports' of this week's court activities and they bear little similarity to each other. Indeed in some cases they could be describing totally different events, such are the different interpretations put out by the various reporters.
Finding the nuggets of truth can be difficult among all the dross. IMO

From what I can see the reporting has been fairly consistent with the trial. Anything important is the same but it all seems fairly weak so far as the unidentified victim cases.

From what I can see the reporting has been fairly consistent with the trial. Anything important is the same but it all seems fairly weak so far as the unidentified victim cases.

^Yes, and yes, that's pretty much my impression too re the reporting although I'm really only reading the German coverage and, I think, Sky. The rest for me is just noise. Seems to me the court wants to get done and dusted with HeB, MS and MT since their input relates only to the unknown victims. They have nothing to do with the other 3 cases and anything else they have to say re CB/MM has no relevance or value here. If CB is convicted on the HaB case, then I guess there's a possibility he could also be convicted, because of the MO similarities between hers and the DM case, of the unknown elderly woman's attack. I think that's possible. I can't see how the 14yr old's case will result in a conviction though. JMO of course.

The most telling piece missing from all his mates is the deposition site, if he took her, the three talk of him boasting or saying this that the other but nothing of real note.
As far as his friends were concerned there was no deposition site. CB had discussed prior to MM's disappearance, selling a child in Morocco not killing one.

As the case developed CB was designated as the prime suspect. That was a gme changer which must have concentrated minds wonderfully amongst those who had been his past associates. My opinion

He won't be taking the stand, the onus is on the prosecution, from what we've heard so far from the three ex mates in the two unidentified rapes, its I saw this ,he told me that and the other didn't want to watch it all.None of them like CB,so what ,dare say they're not likeable, the difference being they're not in the dock.CB could well be the most obnoxious individual, but its evidence required not personality traits.All opinion.
Just day 6 of n...

It's the sun so be wary.So if he was driving how did he receive a phone call in Luz?

Brueckner telephoned the woman — who cannot be named under German law — after Madeleine, then aged three, disappeared from her family’s holiday villa in the resort of Praia da Luz in May 2007.

She was also interviewed at least three times by the BKA, Germany’s federal police.
Brueckner rang her the night Madeleine disappeared saying he was driving his camper van from Tomar in central Portugal to her home on the south coast, 20 miles from Praia da Luz.

The most direct route would have taken him through the resort but he did not arrive that night.

It's the sun so be wary.So if he was driving how did he receive a phone call in Luz?

Brueckner telephoned the woman — who cannot be named under German law — after Madeleine, then aged three, disappeared from her family’s holiday villa in the resort of Praia da Luz in May 2007.

She was also interviewed at least three times by the BKA, Germany’s federal police.
Brueckner rang her the night Madeleine disappeared saying he was driving his camper van from Tomar in central Portugal to her home on the south coast, 20 miles from Praia da Luz.

The most direct route would have taken him through the resort but he did not arrive that night.
It was nf, it's not new, it's been discussed quite a while back, she said she didn't know if he returned home that night, I'm sure we can find the info somewhere on an older thread, that's what he told her, doesn't mean he was in Tomar

It was nf, it's not new, it's been discussed quite a while back, she said she didn't know if he returned home that night, I'm sure we can find the info somewhere on an older thread, that's what he told her, doesn't mean he was in Tomar
It certainly doesn't, but can it be proved that he wasn't there ? Not that its anything to do with the current trial.

That's the difficulty for the Germans, a phone call to a number doesn't say who it was.

He won't be taking the stand, the onus is on the prosecution, from what we've heard so far from the three ex mates in the two unidentified rapes, its I saw this ,he told me that and the other didn't want to watch it all.None of them like CB,so what ,dare say they're not likeable, the difference being they're not in the dock.CB could well be the most obnoxious individual, but its evidence required not personality traits.All opinion.
Bearing in mind that he is not obliged to do so, I agree with you that CB will not take his opportunity to set the record straight as he sees it.

DM took the trouble to report the aggravated rape to which she was subjected. Had she not done so we would perhaps not be discussing the rapes for which CB is currently under trial.
No DM conviction probably equates to no charges being made regarding HB's ordeal.

The evidence the prosecution wishes to present is that CB was actively involved in serious crimes against women and children throughout his sojourn in Portugal. These five charges cover that period and the fact that they are deemed admissible to be heard in court indicates they have legal merit.
My opinion

Im looking forward to hearing from witnesses that we haven't heard of, with new information

Yes, it'll be interesting to see what, if anything useful, they'll bring to the table in this trial. I'm sure even the court at this stage feels it's had enough of HeB, MS and MT to last a lifetime. I know I have.

I can't help feeling though that we'll be in for another long but unhelpful dose of 'He was not a nice man, he did this, said this, I don't like him, trust him, he should be locked up'.

We'll see.

Last edited:
So Senior district reporter Rob Pattison say an ex girlfriend gave evidence in court , was this in camera.?

His former girlfriend told his trial in Germany that during the call he said he was driving to her home — but she did not know if he arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sachivcochin