Germany/Portugal - Christian Brueckner, 27 @ time of 1st crime (2004), charged with sexual assault crimes, Praia de Rocha, Portugal. #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Overall not a surprising result given the difficulty of bringing historical cases without any forensics.

I support the prosecution in bringing the charges but they just didn't have solid evidence in the end.

It's not great how the Court savaged CB's associates though - any prosecutor will think twice before relying on them for an MM indictment.

02c
to be fair if they lied and they did indeed seem to them then thats on them tbh. Seems to me two are lucky they havent been done for perjury

Overall not a surprising result given the difficulty of bringing historical cases without any forensics.

I support the prosecution in bringing the charges but they just didn't have solid evidence in the end.

It's not great how the Court savaged CB's associates though - any prosecutor will think twice before relying on them for an MM indictment.

02c

CB's associates are responsible for supplying the evidence which solved the 2005 aggravated rape case of DM.

They will have little to do with any proceedings against CB in relation to MM short of having given investigators a name to work with. The evidence followed that.

Presumably there isn’t a bottomless pit of money to finance these cases. Therefore, they will surely have to justify further action to the people who pay the bills. How can they do that after this trial?

With great difficulty, I'd imagine.

Glad the verdict is finally in although it does make it look increasingly likely that this is the end of the road as far as a MM charge and trial goes. Which is, to say the least, extremely disappointing.

Is that of any real importance? The likelihood of encountering him is minuscule.
He carried out sexual assaults on the minor he was babysitting. He did time for that one.
Snip
  • CB assaulted ex-girlfriend's daughter, aged five, in public park
  • He took graphic photographs later discovered on his digital camera and laptop
  • The attack took place in 2013 when CB was living in northern Germany

Acquitted, not enough evidence, but at least the public are now aware of the type of guy he is
If the law states "beyond all reasonable doubt", a court is obliged to follow that rule. Although i'm not happy about the outcome, i'm going to accept the decision of the court, that's for sure!

But i still do have a few questions. The first one is, why was the evidence that has been presented to the court sufficient enough for the court to open the trial on all these 5 charges at first? It doesn't seem to be consistent in some way to open the trial on the two rapes without a victim or a video. Just the testimonies of MS and Helge B? Hard to be believe. There must have been something more. Probably the evidence found in Neuwegersleben has been ruled out as inadmissible.

The second one is, that i do not understand the reasons for the aquittal in the playground incident case, where he was caught red handed. I guess, that we'll have to wait for the reasons for judgment to be written down.

That the Salema Beach incident and the rape of poor Hazel B. are going to be a 50/50 chance, was pretty clear to me right from the beginning, to be honest. Just a foreign accent, blue eyes and a similar MO to another rape case isn't sufficient for a "BARD". Even in a typical tourist area. Unfortuneatly, the known MO in the Hazel B. case is also common in the crimes of other perpetrators. It seems to me, that there isn't any photographic evidence of the crimes, he has been made responsible for, yet.

But in the end, at least a very important litmus test for the prosecution in the other well known case, linked to CB. If they really want to pin him down on that one, they will have to offer a lot more and also more valid evidence to the court. So hopefully, it wasn't all in vain! But without any video, pictures or forensics, just based on circumstancial evidence, we won't see any verdict against CB in the future, i guess.

But i'm convinced, that he is going to re-offend pretty soon, based on his behavior in the past, the assessment of his personality in the recent trial and the fact, that everbody knows about him right now. If he's going to walk free in the near future, nobody is going to give him a proper job, a home, a family or anything else that would be useful to re-enter society.

It's just a matter of time, until he will get into focus of the prosecution again. New game, new luck.... ;)

Last edited:
With great difficulty, I'd imagine.

Glad the verdict is finally in although it does make it look increasingly likely that this is the end of the road as far as a MM charge and trial goes. Which is, to say the least, extremely disappointing.
Yes, it may well end up as conviction by social media.

If the law states "beyond all reasonable doubt", a court is obliged to follow that rule. Although i'm not happy about the outcome, i'm going to accept the decision of the court, that's for sure!

But i do still have a lot of questions. The first one is, why was the evidence that has been presented to the court sufficient enough for the court to open the trial on all these 5 charges at first? It doesn't seem to be consistent in some way to open the trial on the two rapes without a victim or a video. Just the testimonies of MS and Helge B? Hard to be believe. There must have been something more. Probably the evidence found in Neuwegersleben has been ruled out as inadmissible.

The second one is, that i do not understand the reasons for the aquittal in the playground incident case, where he was caught red handed. I guess, that we'll have to wait for the reasons for judgment to be written down.

That the Salema Beach incident and the rape of poor Hazel B. are going to be a 50/50 chance, was pretty clear to me right from the beginning, to be honest. Just a foreign accent, blue eyes and a similar MO to another rape case isn't sufficient for a "BARD". Even in a typical tourist area. Unfortuneatly, the known MO in the Hazel B. case is also common in the crimes of other perpetrators. It seems to me, that there isn't any photographic evidence of the crimes, he has been made responsible for, yet.

But in the end, at least a very important litmus test for the prosecution in the other well known case, linked to CB. If they really want to pin him down on that one, they will have to offer a lot more and also more valid evidence to the court. So hopefully, it wasn't all in vain! But without any video, pictures or forensics, just based on circumstancial evidence, we won't see any verdict against CB in the future, i guess.

But i'm convinced, that he is going to re-offend pretty soon, based on his behavior in the past, the assessment of his personality in the recent trial and the fact, that everbody knows about him right now. If he's going to walk free in the near future, nobody is going to give him a proper job, a home, a family or anything else that would be useful to re-enter society.

It's just a matter of time, until he will get into focus of the prosecution again. New game, new luck.... ;)
Could be many years thought. He won't be release for another 12 months and I see him as an opportunistic offender, so the circumstances will need to be right for him to offend. It will take time for him to establish this environment.

But i do still have a lot of questions. The first one is, why was the evidence that has been presented to the court sufficient enough for the court to open the trial on all these 5 charges at first? It doesn't seem to be consistent in some way to open the trial on the two rapes without a victim or a video. Just the testimonies of MS and Helge B? Hard to be believe. There must have been something more. Probably the evidence found in Neuwegersleben has been ruled out as inadmissible.

I tend to agree with your takes, and speculate that the basis for the prosecution was that Helge B and MS held up well in the previous prosecution. But not this time. The original judgement found them credible. But this time they made a poor impression. That can happen.

So the prosecution looked good on the papers, but fell apart in the witness box.

I also suspect, like you, that the search evidence was excluded, but we'll have to wait for confirmation on that.

Disappointing to say the least and sad for the victims.
I do hope that LE will someday find and prosecute the actual pock faced, blue eyed, German accented, sadistic rapist(s) and child abuser(s) who committed these terrible crimes in Portugal, after all, whoever did this still walks amongst us.

Last edited:
Disappointing to say the least and sad for the victims.
I do hope that LE will someday find and prosecute the actual pock faced, blue eyed, German accented, sadistic rapist(s) and child abuser(s) who committed these terrible crimes in Portugal, after all, whoever did this still walks amongst us.
No surprises in the amateur way (by the three parts) as it was progressing.
But a nauseating outcome even more for the victims (past and future…).
This disgusting, “boasty” and even too errant character keeps being incredibly LUCKY. At the time and context he had in that Algarve. This can be a boost in his confidence for 2025. When he may be coming back to the streets…irresistibly, to repeat.

BKA won’t give up but MM case seems further away, perhaps nevermore(?!), but there are always those who keep believing, to finally catch this vile paedophile and unearth the REAL truth.

Last edited:
Could be many years thought. He won't be release for another 12 months and I see him as an opportunistic offender, so the circumstances will need to be right for him to offend. It will take time for him to establish this environment.
It was a planned visit to DM's villa. He brought his rape and torture kit with him; he wore a fetish fancy dress and eye covering for his intended victim.
He was probably an opportunist as well as being a criminal who thought things through from start to finish.
My opinion

eh? why would they have odds on something like this?
Sorry it was a joke...bad taste I know but the thread seemed to be getting aggressive was trying to lighten it up... Wouldn't have expected that outcome though personally I believe Uta Engemann seemed already set on her decision a while ago probably thanks to the witness was it HeB turning up drunk... But yeah she seemed Biased and I'd still like to know who paid for FF service... The lot of that defence team look like some Mob out a Mafia team lol... Didn't he say he wouldn't let CB look after his kids but would his dog and then got bitten and injured by a dog not long after... I'd say Karma but I dont believe in it lol

Last edited:
A good unemotional non-sensational account of the case in the Guardian
How can they hope to over turn the like of this.The last sentence will immediately be seized upon by any defence should this or the MM case ever reach a court.imo

Brückner, who showed no emotion as the verdict was announced, was acquitted by three professional judges and two lay judges. The main judge, Uta Engemann, delivered a lengthy statement explaining the decision to acquit that criticised German prosecutors for naming him in connection to the McCann case. “We as judges have sworn an oath, and it is to serve the truth only. We take this very seriously, but we cannot wrap people in cotton wool,” she said.

“This oath means that we do not cater to the views of the media, the defence and the prosecution, or to the tables of regular pub-goers.”

She said that “everyone” had heard about Brückner in connection with the McCann case and the labelling of Brückner, “as a sex monster and a pervert”, amounted to “massive third-party suggestions” which had influenced witnesses and resulted in testimonies to the court being “almost worthless for the legal chamber”.

Sorry it was a joke...bad taste I know but the thread seemed to be getting aggressive was trying to lighten it up... Wouldn't have expected that outcome though personally I believe Uta Engemann seemed already set on her decision a while ago probably thanks to the witness was it HeB turning up drunk... But yeah she seemed Biased and I'd still like to know who paid for FF service... The lot of that defence team look like some Mob out a Mafia team lol... Didn't he say he wouldn't let CB look after his kids but would his dog and then got bitten and injured by a dog not long after... I'd say Karma but I dont believe in it lol
We've been through the money issue, it's legal aid.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leahruss
Back