Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 3 murders, July 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree. I know a bunch of architects some well-off some not so much- they all have orderly and clean homes and care bout the way they present themselves.
I know quite a few as well. Architects are a mix of scientist and artist, and usually they care a lot about their homes. They are visual people, and in my experience maybe a tad quirky but still professional,well educated and mostly polished in their presentation to the world.

RH is very odd for an architect. I hate to think about where his visual energy was focused.

It COULD. But I doubt it. He's 59. Perhaps he has retired or his compulsions have tamed enough he's more selective and kills less often. I can't imagine that he just woke up one morning in his 40s and became a killer -- three neat and tidy bundles -- then simply quit. I suspect there are more, many more. Both before and after the Gilgo Beach hideaway.

I am thinking about other houses, that in So. Carolina and in Las Vegas. There is a chance that at least one of them has been turned into Airbnb and looks much better than his Long Island house. BTW, he said he was handy, so I think the lack of interest in the family house indicates something (unhappy with the family situation and in denial? Distracted by something else?)

However, all his classmates said that he was definitely very smart. It seems that some of his clients got irritated with his perfectionism, but others, liked it and valued his expertise.

So, obviously he is not a stupid man. As such, he has to understand that a lot of bodies in one neighborhood sooner or later might converge on the perpetrator. Logically, if he hunts near his lair, he probably would move to one of other houses and hunt there.

Now, I don’t know where his So. Carolina house is. If it is Charlotte or a touristy place in the vicinity of Hilton head, he won’t stand out. If it is in more rural area, he’d probably not hunt there. Las Vegas and Reno are full of tourists and sex workers, so, quite possible.

LE has followed his phone, his burner phones, his wife's phone, ??perhaps his children's phones???, the victims' phones. Don't you think that if there is a new burial ground or two LE has good evidence telling them where?

Probably. And, they probably won't (wisely) tell us during an active investigation. (MOO) Consider this statement made about former Commissioner Hart:

"Hart urged the public to come forward with any information involving the murders, including on the belt, ... She would not say the size of the belt, where exactly it was found at the crime scene and declined to say whether DNA had been found on it."

We know from the presser yesterday that they were bound. Logic dictates it was on one of the victims but we don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if we learn there was DNA on the belt and they held this back. But, I also wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't DNA. MOO

I am thinking about other houses, that in So. Carolina and in Las Vegas. There is a chance that at least one of them has been turned into Airbnb and looks much better than his Long Island house. BTW, he said he was handy, so I think the lack of interest in the family house indicates something (unhappy with the family situation and in denial? Distracted by something else?)

However, all his classmates said that he was definitely very smart. It seems that some of his clients got irritated with his perfectionism, but others, liked it and valued his expertise.

So, obviously he is not a stupid man. As such, he has to understand that a lot of bodies in one neighborhood sooner or later might converge on the perpetrator. Logically, if he hunts near his lair, he probably would move to one of other houses and hunt there.

Now, I don’t know where his So. Carolina house is. If it is Charlotte or a touristy place in the vicinity of Hilton head, he won’t stand out. If it is in more rural area, he’d probably not hunt there. Las Vegas and Reno are full of tourists and sex workers, so, quite possible.
Good grief.
He could very well (based on if RH traveled frequently) have victims scattered far and wide.
I am sorry that the last face on earth some of these women had to see ... was him.
Omo.

MOO/Speculation I am grateful they picked someone up for this. But, the more we learn the more infuriating it becomes for me at least, that they didn't do this much earlier.

Witnesses reported to LE way back then that they had seen a customer of sex worker Amber Lynn Costello in a Chevy Avalanche the day before she was killed.

Newsday will have a paywall but here it is for rules purposes
I had personally wondered when Costello's friends actually parted with that tidbit, but I believe it was the DA who said that had that in 2010.

I had that same thought and was going to post about it. We have no idea how much other evidence the task force has,or what they're looking for specifically. Maybe it's a little of both.....LE may want to take pet hair samples,and the family cat needs it's supplies.
Yes. There might have been animal hair in the burlap or on one of the victims. We just don't know.

Executed warrant on storage unit in Amityville.
MOO this could hold a treasure trove of evidence. Not only of the crimes. But it could also be where he took them. Where he held them and kept them. We just don't know. But IMO I think this could be huge.

Last edited:
I had personally wondered when Costello's friends actually parted with that tidbit, but I believe it was the DA who said that had that in 2010.
The fact that an arrest was made after about a year or so of concerted work by LE just begs the question of how much sooner this guy would have been caught if there weren't so much corruption within SCPD for years. Thank goodness this is moving in a positive direction.

Probably. And, they probably won't (wisely) tell us during an active investigation. (MOO) Consider this statement made about former Commissioner Hart:

"Hart urged the public to come forward with any information involving the murders, including on the belt, ... She would not say the size of the belt, where exactly it was found at the crime scene and declined to say whether DNA had been found on it."

We know from the presser yesterday that they were bound. Logic dictates it was on one of the victims but we don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if we learn there was DNA on the belt and they held this back. But, I also wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't DNA. MOO
Maureen was bound with leather belts, so it very possibly was found on her. Amber and Megan were bound with tape. It doesn't say for Melissa. It does specify that all four were bound in a 'similar fashion' and that three were wrapped in burlap, though it doesn't tell us which three. (All this information comes from the PCA.)

MOO

I never thought I’d see the day a suspect was brought in for this case. Having followed since very early days I know that Newsday has a paywall on the site and there is going to be a massive ammt of coverage there, it is a local Long Island newspapers If you go to the website “wayback machine” you can copy and paste the URL of article you want to read and it will link you free version. This is a fantastic tool for any new sleuths out there who want to read about this case from beginning. Works on defunct websites as well and websites that are “wiped” from internet
This is fantastic information. That paywall drives me crazy. Nearly every site has a paywall now making linking sources here incredibly difficult. Thank you for this!!!

My hunch, in over-analyzing mode to be honest, is he wasn't a great architect. He told the French interviewer that early in his career, his boss sent him to do some paperwork with the buildings department and he happened to be good at a bureaucratic work so his boss kept sending him to handle those tasks. RH then built his career on it.

Nothing wrong with that.

But my hunch is that the boss sent him to do that work because RW was not particularly good at architecture and it was a way to get the work done that nobody else wants to do. My opinion. Most architects would rather be doing the architecture work not sitting in the building department waiting room for hours like RW said he has the patience to do. He prides himself on being able to handle tedium.

Most people don't want to do that, though there is nothing wrong with handling that job. I just happen to think it was a niche for him when he might not have cut it as an architect otherwise.

I think he took pride in his father's career as engineer and he is bright enough to get through architecture schooling....but lacks the creative spark to make nice things and instead he dwells in problems. He likes problems.

My opinion only, worth what you paid for it.
Architects generally are more successful when they are creative and artistic, as well as having the geometry, algebra and trigonometry skills needed for their designs. He was probably very good at the math portion of architecture.

RH might've been more successful as a civil engineer since he seems more suited to that discipline. Engineering is often about solving problems, and requires almost no artistic vision.

Architects generally are more successful when they are creative and artistic, as well as having the geometry, algebra and trigonometry skills needed for their designs. He was probably very good at the math portion of architecture.

RH might've been more successful as a civil engineer since he seems more suited to that discipline. Engineering is often about solving problems, and requires almost no artistic vision.
I agree! Crazy thought if lives might have been saved by a different career choice. Of course, that is silly speculation, I know.

jmo

Is it my understanding that RH and his wife have been married 22 years? Is the split between the method of disposal between the gilgo four and the other victims right around that 22 years ago mark? Victims prior to their marriage disposed of more crudely with the dismemberment etc, and victims after their marriage more carefully wrapped and disposed of in the burlap. Also while they were married and living together but she was out of town… Noting her hair is present in the burlap, but no mention (so far) of such evidence in the plastic bags or containers the late 90s-2000. A single man living alone in that house has all the time in the world to clean up after a dismemberment, but with a wife out of town it would be too risky to make such a depraved mess in such a short amount of time to clean up, hence the new disposal method.
I have to wonder if the reason he continued to occupy his childhood home might be because there is a wealth of incriminating evidence on the grounds from his earliest kills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper