Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 3 murders, July 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Asides from details about the evidence being removed from the house and/or storage lockers - and how it’s further incriminates RH to the Gilgo four, or others murders/missing people we don’t know about <modsnip: sleuthing wife/not victim friendly>

To that point - It seems like LE felt like RH was on the verge of striking again. The well documented incident at Brady Park in Massapequa was within a few weeks ago and SCPD have confirmed RH was under surveillance at the time of that incident - furthermore a police report was filed from that incident. SCPD has also confirmed he was still currently actively soliciting sex workers and still currently in possession of a burner phone. It’s seems like he was ready for his wife to get the travel bug and RH had pieces in place. I highly doubt he stopped the killing and if he did, it appears he was itching to come out of retirement in the very near future.

Another though - with 200 guns in the house, Kudos to the police for nabbing him coming out of his office in NYC and arresting him away from that arsenal. With him on suicide watch now, a potential deadly standoff if he barricades himself in the basement would not have been pretty.

The idea of whether RH ever purchased the NYS 4x4 a fishing permit is a very interesting thought by a previous poster. He did own a 4x4 Chevy Avalanche and that would allow him access to literally miles of brush and dunes that is not widely traveled and accessible 24hrs. His old dumping grounds along Ocean Parkway is not an option any longer - there is a bike path on that side of Ocean Parkway and the path is fenced off on the road by a short wire fence making it an obstacle to step over and also no longer able pull up and park close to the brush - simply not practical. The dunes on the other side of Ocean Parkway - especially ocean facing with the 4x4 permit would provide even an older man in his late 50’s now a very easy option. This Night fishing permit records are easily accessed as the permit requires a drivers license ID and the NYS Marine Registry and proof of registration to be issued the 4x4 permit - all easily accessible by the state for a quick check I would think. I’m a fisherman and find that many fisherman on LI duck hunt in the winter along the same waters. We know he duck hunted and took out friends duck hunting and used camo burlap on the girls that is typically used to disguise duck hunting boats and blinds. Perhaps he was a fisherman and had access to miles of rarely charted dunes that has no mainstream public access.

MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
Just watched the presser. What I took from it: New York State Police took the case and assigned ONE investigator back in February of 2022. Within a month they had Heuermanns name.

Suffolk County PD has a lot to answer for. As a New Yorker with immediate family in both Nassau and Suffolk Counties, I am livid.
It makes sense that they sort of want "credit" but I'm curious (and I'm not in NY) why it took so many years for state police to be involved in the first place? Were they not involved when the bodies were found?

Hackett later told 48 Hours that yes, he had called Mari Gilbert. But he said he called her a week later for friends who were helping with the search and never said he met Shannan or rendered “medical care of any sort.”

CBS News reported that phone records, however, showed that he called Mari Gilbert on his wife’s phone on May 3, the day Mari said she got a call from him. Hackett said he just couldn’t remember his story. “A person gets a lot of phone calls,” he told CBS.

You can read Hackett’s letters here.

Dominick Varrone, former Chief of Detectives, told CBS News that Hackett wasn’t a suspect. Strange calls like that were usual for him.

Varrone told CBS: “He’s an individual who likes to get involved. Some call him a storyteller and an exaggerator.” Varrone also said that police didn’t know about the nature of Hackett’s call until months later, which was why they didn’t investigate him right away.

Did Hackett have any connection to the police detective? chief? who was jailed?

It makes sense that they sort of want "credit" but I'm curious (and I'm not in NY) why it took so many years for state police to be involved in the first place? Were they not involved when the bodies were found?

Is it likely SCPD didn't want anyone outside of their agency looking into anything that happened in Suffolk??

It's both a complicated and simple explanation. The simple answer: Suffolk County PD is a corrupt bunch. Thomas Spota who was the DA out in Suffolk from 2002 - 2017 is currently in prison for obstruction of justice. His best buddy, James Burke, the former Police Chief in Suffolk, was also convicted and has already served his sentence. Personally, I think they both got off lightly and most of their crimes were swept under the rug. If you're ever bored, search up their names for an infuriating read about coercion of witnesses, assualt, and coverups aplenty oh my! :mad:

I remember seeing days ago a news link that said "RH cries he didn't do this outside of court room as he's led away" or something but now I cannot find it. Anyone got it? Or did he say it in court and I am misremembering?

James Burke
@MrsPC
The disgraced former chief of Suffolk County Police Department, James Burke, was at the center of the storm, which culminated in his imprisonment in 2016 for 46 months for battering a thief who stole a bag from his police car which contained *advertiser censored* and sex toys.

Shocking details emerged about Burke's alleged fondness for drugs and prostitutes. He has also been described by colleagues as a 'psychopath' who was always 'horny' and thought he was 'untouchable'.

It seems like there was no focus at all is solving these horrible demonic murders until DA Tierney formed the task force. Great work so far but 12 years late in starting. So unfair to all of the victims and their families.

I remember seeing days ago a news link that said "RH cries he didn't do this outside of court room as he's led away" or something but now I cannot find it. Anyone got it? Or did he say it in court and I am misremembering?
Heuermann’s court-appointed defense attorney Michael Brown noted his client was crying when the two met and said, “I didn’t do this.”

Is it likely SCPD didn't want anyone outside of their agency looking into anything that happened in Suffolk??
Absolutely. Also...

"On May 5, 2011, at a meeting of the Public Safety Committee of the Suffolk County Legislature, (Dominick) Varrone called it a "consolation" that the killer didn't appear to be "selecting citizens at large -- he's selecting from a pool."

The Gilgo 4 were treated as subhuman by Rex Heuermann and then by the Suffolk County PD and local politicians. Justice for the victims should include Suffolk County answering for their lack of care and progress on this case.

Nightmare fuel:

His client briefly recounted that evening to The Post.

“I was only with him in my home to review the scope of work,” she said. “I even gave him a ride to his home in Long Island from Brooklyn. At one point on the drive we talked about the Gilgo Beach murders — we even discussed the burlap and why someone would use that. In retrospect, thinking about that conversation, it’s just bone-chilling.”

Link: Client of Rex Heuermann details ‘bone-chilling’ encounter driving him home

Absolutely. Also...

"On May 5, 2011, at a meeting of the Public Safety Committee of the Suffolk County Legislature, (Dominick) Varrone called it a "consolation" that the killer didn't appear to be "selecting citizens at large -- he's selecting from a pool."

The Gilgo 4 were treated as subhuman by Rex Heuermann and then by the Suffolk County PD and local politicians. Justice for the victims should include Suffolk County answering for their lack of care and progress on this case.
couldnt agree more

Re: Suffolk corruption… I joined websleuths about ten years ago, and at the time the LISK threads were very active, including a poster who was giving all this extremely detailed, inside info about how bad the corruption situation was there. I realize now that was Hawkshaw, but I really had no idea how to evaluate the quality of the info back then and it all seemed so complicated. I stopped trying to get a handle on it.

Then Burke got arrested and … well, if you don’t know the backstory it’s worth searching out one of the longform articles on it. Needless to say my jaw hit the floor.

Nightmare fuel:

His client briefly recounted that evening to The Post.

“I was only with him in my home to review the scope of work,” she said. “I even gave him a ride to his home in Long Island from Brooklyn. At one point on the drive we talked about the Gilgo Beach murders — we even discussed the burlap and why someone would use that. In retrospect, thinking about that conversation, it’s just bone-chilling.”

Link: Client of Rex Heuermann details ‘bone-chilling’ encounter driving him home
The client recalled other moments during the time she was trying to sell her home, that — now looking back — she found quite odd.

“Throughout the transaction he was becoming very difficult to work with, even becoming belligerent at times. He was constantly arguing with the plumber on the job and questioning his work. Just very odd behavior,” she said. “For some reason in this transaction he would constantly say, ‘I’m not doing anything to get a fine or open an investigation of my license.'” [MY NOTES: because he didnt wanna call any attention to himself lol]

The client said that ultimately that was her final experience with Heuermann.

“When we ultimately were able to close on the property, I had such a bad experience with Rex that I told him not to attend the closing,” she said. He still needed to pick up the balance of payment, and “He went to the attorney’s office separately to pick up the check.”

“Apparently he had some disagreement with one of the woman associates at the firm. This associate was so uncomfortable with her exchange with Rex that she refused to be in the office when he picked up the check. Ultimately the partner at the firm gave the check to Rex when he arrived with his daughter.”
--
he sounds impossible to work with. i think we're going to find some anti-social and narcissism traits from the psychologists who will evaluate him if there's a trial (i'm sure he will continuously protest the charges) and go on the stand

Last edited:
Wondering where Hawk is! He posted 2 months ago.

Did Hackett have any connection to the police detective? chief? who was jailed?
IIRC, he worked with some of them. For a while he was in charge of their EMS services, or at least on a board or something similar. I just read something about it yesterday, will try to find.

In 2016, James Burke, the former Suffolk County police chief in charge of the investigation, was sentenced to 46 months in prison after he violently attacked a man who stole a bag containing *advertiser censored* and sex toys from his car. The judge in the case said Burke “had corrupted a system” as he spent three years trying to thwart an FBI investigation into his case. Burke has also been suspected of thwarting the FBI investigation into the Gilgo murders.

So, as the case against Heuermann develops, the public also needs other answers: Did the police and FBI do everything they could from the beginning to get to the bottom of the case? And would the cases have been handled differently if the women worked on Wall Street, or as police officers, for example?

@MrsPC
The disgraced former chief of Suffolk County Police Department, James Burke, was at the center of the storm, which culminated in his imprisonment in 2016 for 46 months for battering a thief who stole a bag from his police car which contained *advertiser censored* and sex toys.

Shocking details emerged about Burke's alleged fondness for drugs and prostitutes. He has also been described by colleagues as a 'psychopath' who was always 'horny' and thought he was 'untouchable'.
Curious if RH and this Burke knew each other, or knew the same women ?
Is there anything else Burke might have known that has yet to be revealed ??
Omo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member