Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 3 murders, July 2023 #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that there have been pages and pages and pages of posts in this thread about nothing but AE is why I take issue with her lawyer doing a press conference. It took the focus off of the real victims in this case.

Sad.
IMO it is John Ray's comments from his press conference that are the heart of the posts since he had it.

Last edited by a moderator:
But if he does it his way, he will only come away with $200,000.00 on the LI property after all liens are paid. I doubt he'd make much with the other two properties he has that are probably mortgaged.

What a nightmare for her to think about. Wouldn't any left over assets be frozen by possible lawsuits by the victim's families?
I would think there would have to be a civil suit filed by the victims families for anything to be frozen. MOO

The daughter of BTK said in the interview that I posted above with Court TV that they hired an attorney to help with issues that included communications/public relations. So this isn't the first time the family of a serial killer has hired an attorney. I don't see anything wrong with it, even if I might at times disagree with how Asa's attorney is responding to the media.

I suspect that the attorney for Asa and the attorney for the adult children will be paid from the fundraising effort underway which is how it often works in high profile media cases like this.
Thus is why I quit donating. Originally it stated it was created so she could afford her divorce and items they needed. I support that.

Now it has been changed. Now the funds are to support Asa and she can direct on what is her highest priority: basic needs for herself and adult children, to restore the home to whole (as evidence collection damaged or destroyed many critical household items), and any other need she may have that is not listed.

Nothing of her divorce. Nothing. That was the sole reason I kept donating. I feel like I've been played.

Altho I still feel Melissa Moore's heart was in the right place, monies are at her disposal to her highest priority. That can and could include paying her lawyers to sue LE. No. I'm not for that.

https://patch.com/new-york/massapequa/daughter-1990s-serial-killer-creates--asa-ellerup

Another question to ponder... I know LE has said Asa was out of town during the murders, are we to read this statement as being ONLY the 3 Rex has thus far been charged with?

I'd say so - almost everything they've said publicly relates to the Charges against him (and potentially MB-B)

Anything that was not included in Bail doc is what we don't know...and it's a LOT!

I don't know the details of what they'll work out with their divorce, so this is just my opinion and the way I see it from an outsiders view:

The house in Massapequa appears in tax records in Rex's name only, and was purchased prior to their marriage.

Under New York's equitable distribution laws, only your “marital property” will be divided during a divorce in NY. This means that you and your spouse will get to keep any separate property that was brought into the marriage.

Therefore, by law, it appears Asa has no rights to the house as it was not "marital property". Therefore if it's sold, or foreclosed if he still owes on it and isn't making payments, Asa has no recourse in that matter or rights to receive monies from a sale of it.

While I realize she has other health concerns going on, and she/her children will be losing what they've considered to be home, by the time the divorce is settled, she will also be on the hook for their unpaid taxes, etc.

At some point soon she will have to manage to get back out on her own and start fresh. If it were me, (and I'm glad it's not!!), I would make it my personal mission to cut all ties, get my things packed up and get my children to another place. It's only delaying the inevitable to wait. <modsnip: discussion of fundraising>

Again, JMO.
Is there a divorce? I just read the account at the bank. It no longer says anything about taking care of a divorce.

https://patch.com/new-york/massapequa/daughter-1990s-serial-killer-creates--asa-ellerup

But if he does it his way, he will only come away with $200,000.00 on the LI property after all liens are paid. I doubt he'd make much with the other two properties he has that are probably mortgaged.

What a nightmare for her to think about. Wouldn't any left over assets be frozen by possible lawsuits by the victim's families?
BBM
As should be.

Another question to ponder... I know LE has said Asa was out of town during the murders, are we to read this statement as being ONLY the 3 Rex has thus far been charged with?
I'm not sure if this is the answer to your question, but, LE don't know yet if she was out of town for the fourth. (I think). They are still obtaining evidence.

<snipped for focus>

Good point!

I listened to Attorney Robert Macedonia's interview that you posted and I thought he did a great job in making it clear that his client (Asa Ellerup) is in no way involved in the crimes that her husband committed, that John Ray's statements are reckless accusations and unfounded, and that Asa is 100% not involved. When asked about John Ray's motivation he also replied that he doesn't know, could be that John Ray can benefit from a civil action as his motivation. It wouldn't surprise me at all, RM made a good point.

RM also confirmed that Asa is eligible for COBRA once RH's self-employed medical plan ends, but he notes how expensive that is, it can be thousands of dollars a month, which is true. The divorce filing mentions that continued medical coverage is at issue in the divorce, so hopefully it won't be contested and that the judge in the divorce proceedings will include those funds as the assets are divided and Asa will get the money to pay for her health benefits as part of the settlement.

RM also noted that the daughter is dealing with issues related to finances, etc. at RH's office. Building owners want RH's office gone, and all the furniture, etc. out of the building. So the daughter is trying to deal with the office issues, with finances, accountants, etc.

On the home front, all the accounts were apparently in her husband's name, so Asa is working on sorting that out, and her attorney is helping her. He apparently is the go-between to work on financial and divorce aspects of the situation with RH's attorneys. Nothing to do with RH's defense, just the financial and divorce aspects of the case, he made that clear.
My husband and I had cobra for a year when my husband retired. Our monthly bill was no way near that amount the lawyer stated.

That's a high amount for AE. Her son should qualify for Medicaid. Due to her age, the daughter would need to obtain coverage via the marketplace.

I'm not sure if this is the answer to your question, but, LE don't know yet if she was out of town for the fourth. (I think). They are still obtaining evidence.
With respect, am positive they do know this. Precise day Maureen went missing is known. LE will have collected all info as to whether family were in or out of town at that time. LE know...they just haven't released details and they don't need to, so probably won't

That's how I understand it. Ray Tierney seems to be pretty consistent in saying he will only talk about the charges that have already been levied.
Here is the link that has his interview from today - (I don't think all the morning interviews were bundled in my last link) He talks about how Asa was out of town for the 3 murders as charged.
Ray is not specifically asked where she was for the potential fourth charge.
What he does say when asked if that charge is imminent is that they are still waiting on forsensic's etc and once the grand jury acts he can then talk about that charge.
So my own personal interpretaion is that he has only discussed her being out of town for those three charges and they are still investigating the fourth.
Up to you to decide what you think
JMO

I do not believe there has been no communication.

IMO no interrogation, no Miranda warning, no swearing in is what Macedonia and company is calling "no communication."

But he seemed pretty clear that there was no ongoing cooperation. They spoke with her at the outset and that appears to be the end of it. They were satisfied she had nothing more to offer I guess. I heard JR's position as he stated it to be. Namely that this was early on and now they have a lot more information and evidence. It's cryptic yes. It may mean nothing. Or, it may mean something. We just don't know yet.

jmo

My guess is LE at the time actually suspected DS and therefore ignored or thought less of his eyewitness testimony. Cops love to laser focus on a murder victim's closest relatives or friends (usually for good reasons), but many times at the expense of adequate investigation into other possible theories.. I'm thinking this may be part of why DS's statements about vehicle and Amber's previous client were shuffled around, but they would never admit that of course. JMO
My guess is that LE at the time were told shut it down.

jmo

I just want his lair to be found so bad..
We're really stuck until that happens.
I believe their deaths were prolonged because of the nature of the beast and if his only desire in killing was instant death, he could easily have broken their necks in the street and kept on walking..
that is not what he chose though, is it?
He chose petite light young women.

Not his own size.

And not just to break their necks quickly and kill them fast either IMO.

That lair simply must be found.

IMO (rant over)

Don't know what if anything they found in the storage sheds. In fact they said one was certainly his but the owner of the other was not known. If it was the brother's they would have needed a search warrant for him for that unit. Maybe the second was in his name too, or maybe it was in AE's name and she gave consent.

jmo

Yes. In the previous thread a member suggested that there had to be many Chevy Avalanches in LI, at the time but that got me wondering. How many people, outside landscaping and parks crews would choose a green bevy Avalanche? Also, how many were owned by huge men? It still the link/tip that once taken seriously broke this case wide open.
I saw that too. MOO, I completely disagree. Back in the day that was very rare. Jmo Today, not so much though you'll see a lot more Ford F-150s than Chevy Avalanches. IMO it would have been so easy to find him. You had a person who hailed from the Massapequa Park area; was detected fairly regularly in Manhattan, particularly by Penn (right away that's a commuter); drove a Chevy Avalanche; and you had a physical description. How hard would it be to do a dept of motor vehicles search tp find how many people in Massapequa Park had registered Chevy Avalanches? Not tough. From there you have a handful at most, and at best possibly only one person who you can begin to surveil. They buried this imo.

All jmo

Good to know about the photo, missed that. Is there a link for that, not challenging, just want to see the whole thing.

So why are there direct reports then that they haven’t been contacted or interviewed?

My head hurts lol.

[BBM]

Because her attorney said this. LE spoke with them at the outset. They revealed this on his arrest. I think you are conflating her attorney Macedonia saying "she isn't cooperating because she hasn't been contacted" with her never (ever) speaking with LE. That's where it seems the confusion comes from. Personally, I think he should just be quiet for 5 minutes and step away from the cameras lol.

jmo

But he seemed pretty clear that there was no ongoing cooperation. They spoke with her at the outset and that appears to be the end of it. They were satisfied she had nothing more to offer I guess. I heard JR's position as he stated it to be. Namely that this was early on and now they have a lot more information and evidence. It's cryptic yes. It may mean nothing. Or, it may mean something. We just don't know yet.

jmo
I think there's been a clear distinction about what Macedonio has said in his comments. The night they showed up at RH's house, his wife had no lawyer, she didn't need one either because she was never considered the suspect. (I believe LE knew RH's financial transactions) making it clear that the dates AE was leaving town there would probably be a big ticket item showing up in his bank statements (airline tickets), some traveling pocket money. They keep stating that she is not a suspect, but apparently not everyone will believe that as a fact.

Had Macedonio completely finished his sentence when he said she hasn't had contact with LE, that they haven't reached out to AE, he should have said prior to her hiring him she spoke to them once when they told her, her husband was under arrest and that they were serving her with the search warrant on the house. It would have clarified everything.

Last edited:
<snipped for focus>

Good point!

I listened to Attorney Robert Macedonia's interview that you posted and I thought he did a great job in making it clear that his client (Asa Ellerup) is in no way involved in the crimes that her husband committed, that John Ray's statements are reckless accusations and unfounded, and that Asa is 100% not involved. When asked about John Ray's motivation he also replied that he doesn't know, could be that John Ray can benefit from a civil action as his motivation. It wouldn't surprise me at all, RM made a good point.

RM also confirmed that Asa is eligible for COBRA once RH's self-employed medical plan ends, but he notes how expensive that is, it can be thousands of dollars a month, which is true. The divorce filing mentions that continued medical coverage is at issue in the divorce, so hopefully it won't be contested and that the judge in the divorce proceedings will include those funds as the assets are divided and Asa will get the money to pay for her health benefits as part of the settlement.

RM also noted that the daughter is dealing with issues related to finances, etc. at RH's office. Building owners want RH's office gone, and all the furniture, etc. out of the building. So the daughter is trying to deal with the office issues, with finances, accountants, etc.

On the home front, all the accounts were apparently in her husband's name, so Asa is working on sorting that out, and her attorney is helping her. He apparently is the go-between to work on financial and divorce aspects of the situation with RH's attorneys. Nothing to do with RH's defense, just the financial and divorce aspects of the case, he made that clear.

I guess we all perceive/see things differently. All that follows is MOO.

I think it's Macedonia who is hungry for the spotlight. He has no reason to be doing all of these press conferences. His client isn't a suspect and isn't in custody. He is making these crimes against these women a case about how wronged the family was by LE's execution of a valid and legal search warrant. I see his claims that JR is looking to get an edge in a civil suit as posturing. Imo JR filing this suit was a necessity and it was very smart. JR had no power to compel the Burke/Spota/McPartland regime to keep this case open. So he did what was in his power. He filed a civil suit. It gave him access to evidence, provided him with subpoena power, and allowed him to depose many witnesses.

I think JR did good.

That's jmo.

I think there's been a clear distinction about what Macedonio has said in his comments. The night they showed up at RH's house, his wife had no lawyer, she didn't need one either because she was never considered the suspect. (I believe LE knew RH's financial transactions) making it clear that the dates AE was leaving town there would probably be a big ticket item showing up in his bank statements (airline tickets), some traveling pocket money. They keep stating that she is not a suspect, but apparently not everyone will believe that as a fact.

Had Macedonio completely finished his sentence when he said she hasn't had contact with LE, that they haven't reached out to AE, he should have said prior to her hiring him she spoke to them once when they told her, her husband was under arrest and that they were serving her with the search warrant on the house. It would have clarified everything.

Misread that. Fixed!

jmo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads