Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 6 murders, July 2023 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree.

Bittrolff's brother was convicted of a misdemeanor... that's how his DNA was in the system. Testing revealed that DNA was genetically related to DNA/semen from McNamee & Tangredi.

From news report:

The trail that police said led to Bittrolff began with a DNA sample submitted by his brother Timothy Bittrolff following his misdemeanor conviction for violating an order of protection in 2013.

After the analysis of the sample indicated it was a partial match to DNA left on the two dead women, investigators looked at Timothy Bittrolff's brothers.

First, they retrieved a cigarette butt that one brother, Kevin Bittrolff, had tossed from his car. But his DNA wasn't a match.

Investigators then set up a camera outside John Bittrolff's home. When he left nine bags of trash outside, they swooped in.

Thank you.
And here I was thinking that it was JB's DNA that was entered into the database.
Looks like JB's case is on the front burner since Thursday so I best do some catching up.

If you read the new bail application for Heuermann (which I actually do not recommend, it's one of the worst things I've ever read), it describes how Sandra Costilla's body was positioned and that she had no clothing on except for a shirt that was covering her face. I won't get too into the details, but the way she's described it almost sounds like her killer dragged her by the legs along the ground. She appears to have been missing both of her shoes and most of her other clothing. The new bail application and Ray Tierney during his press conference have she was strangled to death and was stabbed several times, with most or all of the stab wounds post-mortem. There's no mention in the bail application of wood chips or shavings, unless I missed it.

I'm curious if there are court documents or testimony that give a description of how Rita Tangredi and Colleen McNamee were found. From my understanding, they were posed identically, were killed by major head trauma but had also been strangled, all their clothing except their left shoes were found nearby but not on them, and I've never read anything about mutilation or stabbing for either of them. I've read several different poses their arms were supposedly in, but no one ever links where they got that information. Almost all of what I know about their deaths has come from secondhand sources rather than official ones. I'm not sure where to find court documents or testimony after this long.
That does sound quite different to me, rather than virtually identical to the JB victims. Thank you, this is very useful.

Last edited:
Can they do through genealogy sites rather than CODIS?

IIRC, none of the three victims had semen from both Bitrollff and Rex. The two women whom Bitrollff was convicted of killing had his semen on them. Sandra Costilla had no semen present on her body. She was connected to Rex H because his hair and that of Witness 3, among other things, were found on her body.

I'm not sure I see a scenario where Rex could be guilty of killing the two women that Bitrollff was convicted of killing? Apologies if I'm misunderstanding this particular discussion.
Hi..It's me again..lol
You did fine explaining who's who and what evidence was found.
Thank you.

That does sound quite different to me, rather than virtual identical to the JB victims. Thank you, this is very useful.

I am guessing that they had some similarities beyond just timing for law enforcement to connect them for so long, and like I said, I haven't seen any court documents describing how Rita and Colleen were found so maybe it's more similar than it comes across. But yeah. I am not convinced based on what I've been able to find.

Thank you.
And here I was thinking that it was JB's DNA that was entered into the database.
Looks like JB's case is on the front burner since Thursday so I best do some catching up.

'Give me 10 minutes and it's possible I can forget what I just posted. lol

It's a mighty complicated case.

What’s crazy is, no matter how much we all searched the burlap angle, not until RH was arrested did we get that particular detail that it was Camo patterned burlap. I can’t help but wonder, if this person who pushed so hard for the duck hunting theory was either a detective who was trying to get info out that could have helped solve this case years ago or a member of RH’s inner circle doing the same.

IDK, you have to wonder why that detail was kept from the public for 12 years. Along with the description of Rex and his first Chevy truck, the case could have been solved very quickly. I'll never understand those people.

JMO, and this is speculation from long ago - were some of the *advertiser censored* materials Burke was caught with in his car possibly acquired from Rex H? Did the police ever find that evidence?

https://nypost.com/2015/12/09/polic...-*advertiser censored*-sex-toys-court-papers/

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/new...toys-ammo-*advertiser censored*-from-cop-car/

Someone upthread mentioned that RH officiates/referees shooting matches? IIRC
I don't know if his videos are allowed here but True Crime Nathan Adams just did a video on RH's date book for the days when "wife" was vacationing in Vermont and Manorville shooting range/club (?) was entered 2 x from July 20-27th.
This is the Jessica Taylor timeline of phone call with mom on the 21st, reported missing on the 25th and found on the 26th.
Also a witness seeing his truck hours before on the late 25-26 (?) in wooded area where she was found.
Adams speculates that JT was being held in RH's house while wife was away and he went to work for scheduled meetings and was in Manorville 2 x..gun related.

Adam's YouTube video came on my TV after another video I had been watching, I have no idea is he's respected or not in the crime world.

Re: description of the similarities between Bittrolff's victims and Sandra from article in July 2014:

"But officials now say they are also investigating whether Bittrolff may be linked to third cold case in Suffolk County, the December 1993 murder of Sandra Castilla in Southampton, N.Y.

Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota said that the condition of the body and the position in which it was found make Bittrolff a suspect, as does an item of clothing that was missing from all three bodies. Spota would not specific which item of clothing was missing."

Also:

Re: someone wondering if evidence from the two women Bittrolff was accused of killing. AT his trial, the defense attorney said that "148 items of evidence in Ms. McNamee’s case were mistakenly thrown away and 18 items of evidence from Ms. Tangeni’s case also were destroyed." And the prosecutor agreed with that statement.

Re: description of the similarities between Bittrolff's victims and Sandra from article in July 2014:

"But officials now say they are also investigating whether Bittrolff may be linked to third cold case in Suffolk County, the December 1993 murder of Sandra Castilla in Southampton, N.Y.

Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota said that the condition of the body and the position in which it was found make Bittrolff a suspect, as does an item of clothing that was missing from all three bodies. Spota would not specific which item of clothing was missing."

Also:

Re: someone wondering if evidence from the two women Bittrolff was accused of killing. AT his trial, the defense attorney said that "148 items of evidence in Ms. McNamee’s case were mistakenly thrown away and 18 items of evidence from Ms. Tangeni’s case also were destroyed." And the prosecutor agreed with that statement.

Ugh, Spota. It's hard to say if evidence went missing deliberately or because they just didn't care.

This does seem to be technically true, but "unclothed but has all of her clothing nearby except her left shoe" and "partially wearing a shirt but missing the rest of her clothing, including her left shoe" don't really match up for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
safetycircle