Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 6 murders, July 2023 #15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The case of #Peaches removed from #NamUs, National Missing & Unidentified Persons System, reported by
@Catch_LISK
This suggests suspected 1997 #LISK victim is identified. Last week, my blog focused on legal discussions re: Peaches and her child:

“With that much time invested by Nassau investigators in the Peaches probe, there is a level of negotiation and cooperation that will be involved in weaving the Peaches murder into the Suffolk County criminal case. But it seems these issues are being addressed now.”

Sep 4, 2024 Crime Stories with Nancy Grace
''Rex Heuermann was initially arrested and charged in the deaths of the women known in the press as "The Gilgo Four": Melissa Barthelemy, Megan Waterman, Amber Costello, and Maureen Brainard-Barnes.A year later, Heuermann faces additional charges of second-degree murder in the killings of two more women, Jessica Taylor and Sandra Castillo, who were found in the same area as the Gilgo Four.After his arrest, investigators seized several electronic devices from Heuermann, including a laptop containing a secret Microsoft Word document titled "HK2002-04," which they describe as a "blueprint" for the architect's murders.Even more disturbing, investigators believe that the alleged serial killer Rex Heuermann may have kept his victims alive for several days to inflict pain and torture. They have used the family's calendars to determine when Heuermann was alone in the house while his wife and children were away, comparing those dates to when some of his alleged victims went missing.''

so many questions on his upbringing and how he got his start murdering...what was his youth like? any animals or neighborhood pets gone missing? he grew up there..wonder what his other classmates say..he nearly killed a girl backstage at a HS play... wondering what all went on in his teenager days..missing women etc. does anyone think he has been killing since HS? I do.

Ok, so, I am going to say I'm a little skeptical that Heuermann was killing so early or so frequently.

That said, by 1982 he was working at Jones Beach. This was two years after Richard Cottingham was arrested, and he faced trials in 1981 and 1982. He strangled several women and dismembered several more in New York and New Jersey through 1980. Cottingham couldn't have been responsible for the string of 1982 murders as he was in prison, but the fact that one of the victims was found in North Bergen, which was just a couple miles from his home, is very creepy. (EDIT: I misread, she was from there and found in Manhattan. Still a weird coincidence.). Also creepy: he left one of his victims wrapped in plastic at a bus stop at Jones Beach, though she was not officially connected to him until two years ago.

I've long suspected, due to the similarly of their crimes and the fact that several of Cottingham's victims were found in Long Island locations Heuermann would have been familiar with, that Cottingham may have been one of his inspirations - both the man himself and his Times Square and New Jersey murders, and the unknown Long Island serial murderer that turned out to be Cottingham, even though he was only officially linked to those crimes in 2022. Especially when you consider how Heuermann treated his earliest known victim, Sandra, compared to the torture Cottingham put his victims through. Cottingham's surviving victims spoke to the media and testified in court, so details would have been out there in the news during a pretty formative time for Heuermann, and he clearly was reading about and taking inspiration from other killers (I think he was a Rifkin fan, too, tbh).

If those murders had NOT been committed in 1982, I'd say they were Cottingham 100%. If all five were committed by the same person, I'd wager they were a copycat. They sound very much like his crimes.

I'm still skeptical they were Heuermann just because it seems like he would be too young and inexperienced for so many murders so close together, but I can't say I would be shocked to be proven wrong on that. If he's truly responsible for the crimes he's charged with, the dude is a grade A sociopath. I hope police are looking at those cases again and comparing any DNA evidence that still exists.

Last edited:
Curious Turnaround: #Peaches name is back on #NamUs, hours after the page was declared “no longer accessible.” Law enforcement source had no knowledge page was down.

The case of #Peaches removed from #NamUs, National Missing & Unidentified Persons System, reported by
@Catch_LISK
This suggests suspected 1997 #LISK victim is identified. Last week, my blog focused on legal discussions re: Peaches and her child: “With that much time invested by Nassau investigators in the Peaches probe, there is a level of negotiation and cooperation that will be involved in weaving the Peaches murder into the Suffolk County criminal case. But it seems these issues are being addressed now.”

Both cases were modified in Namus on this day (9/5/24), as per the NAMUS website, which seems to have removed the content for a very short period of time.

@Catch_LISK
This suggests suspected 1997 #LISK victim is identified. Last week, my blog focused on legal discussions re: Peaches and her child: “With that much time invested by Nassau investigators in the Peaches probe, there is a level of negotiation and cooperation that will be involved in weaving the Peaches murder into the Suffolk County criminal case. But it seems these issues are being addressed now.”

Both cases were modified in Namus on this day (9/5/24), as per the NAMUS website, which seems to have removed the content for a very short period of time.
Great news to have resolution in that case. I presume they do, anyway...

@Catch_LISK

This tweet is old. Shes back in Namus

Do you wonder if the authorities in Nevada, South Carolina and anywhere RH traveled should be looking at unsolved cases unique to their own area instead of missing persons or murders that resemble the Gilgo murders? We know RH changed his MO - more than once.

He has been charged with Sandra Costilla, a murder most people attributed to John Bittrolff and timed in the middle of the two JB is in prison for.

WS posters have speculated that RH was influenced by Cottingham and Rifkin.

From stories and podcasts about the searches of the Heuermann home we've learned that he had a variety of books including from an FBI profiler and a book of grisly photos from a California detective.

So, here's my thinking (if someone has already thought and posted about this, I'm sorry, but I missed it): Perhaps in the early days, RH followed crimes in the newspapers, magazines and books to learn of techniques he might enjoy himself as well as tips for remaining undetected. So, he studied and experimented.

I suggest that over the years he developed his own style as he learned what he liked and didn't like and as he aged and slowed down.

So, my take is that when he was traveling, he likely studied unsolved cases in the area he was visiting in order to emulate one or more unsolved murder in that area, thinking it would be linked to similar cases and never be tied to a traveling murderer.

Since I can't remember the timeframe for the Internet, did he perhaps subscribe to newspapers from the area he would visit? Hang out in bookstores to look for magazine articles on murders and serial killers? I recall Reader's Digest featuring a condensed book on Ted Bundy. Did he purchase books about other killers?

I wonder if authorities in other areas have been notified about all RH's trips in order to examine crimes that happened when he was in the area? The taskforce has his credit card statements so they know where he traveled, where he spent nights, etc. With the FBI's involvement, wouldn't it be a simple matter to contact their agents to look into crimes committed while RH was in town? Any DNA lifted from those crimes could easily be compared to RH's even before he is convicted and his DNA goes into CODIS. I just wonder . . .

Do you wonder if the authorities in Nevada, South Carolina and anywhere RH traveled should be looking at unsolved cases unique to their own area instead of missing persons or murders that resemble the Gilgo murders? We know RH changed his MO - more than once.
Aspects of his MO have changed overtime, but the one constant across all the confirmed victims, is that they were killed when Rex had extended periods of alone time. Imo this was likely because he would have the house to him self, and could bring victims home.

That Aspect of the MO isnt compatible with him killing away from home, unless he felt comfortable committing murders in his time shares.

People have been saying that they think RH could be the most prolific serial killer in US history, which i highly highly doubt, due to his known MO of killing when family is away. If it is discovered that he killed victims while his family wasnt on vacation, than that will greatly change things, imo.

I think he will have more victims than Joel Rifkin, but less than Cottingham.

Any DNA lifted from those crimes could easily be compared to RH's even before he is convicted and his DNA goes into CODIS
His DNA was being compared to Victoria Camaras case, and potentially other Nevada cases too

I do personally believe that his goal to retire in SC and buy up adjacent property, was motivated by the idea of creating a "Fox Hollow Farm" situation, where he could dump victims on his own property.

The New York man accused of killing three women bought about 18 acres of land beside a string of small, secluded ponds in Chester County two years ago as a retirement home.

Neighbors say Rex Heuermann had planned to buy everyone else out, The New York Post reported.

I do personally believe that his goal to retire in SC and buy up adjacent property, was motivated by the idea of creating a "Fox Hollow Farm" situation, where he could dump victims on his own property.

Also has it been mentioned that RH sold all 4 lots in SC to Asa for 1 dollar each, back in July of this year?

All 4 properties have this

1000024078.jpg

So sad to consider or contemplate DS2021….. and one never knows. I just hope this case (and others linked to RH) continue to progress in investigative work and prosecutions as possible.

And for some reason the farm reminded of another criminal and homicide investigation group. And their positive work to help with such cases. The University of Tennessee Knoxville Forensic Anthropology Center. IIRC it has also been called ‘The Body Farm’ and work of those there and Dr. William M. (Bill) Bass has long been involved in helping forensics with aged cases or remains. Remarkable work done there IMO. MOO

I just logged onto Namus for the first time since before this all happened, and I think it might legitimately have just been a mistake.

I track Asian Doe and Lattingtown Jane Doe in addition to Peaches and her baby, and all four of them had been modified, so I went to look at some others. Almost every single unidentified person in Nassau and Suffolk counties was modified on Sept. 5, and three others between Aug. 23 and 30.

My guess is that they are reviewing cases and taking notes of things like items that might potentially have suspect DNA (stray hairs, etc.) for testing against Heuermann/other potential suspects. This does seem to be something they do every few months, as others have noticed it before. But it doesn't seem like Peaches was singled out at all, just maybe something got misclicked when they were updating (although that could mean they have her name, and what got misclicked was that she was no longer unidentified, I guess).

That said, I vaguely remember another big batch modification right before they re-searched Manorville and North Sea, so maybe they've gotten more files from his devices and are reviewing to see if any cases match up. I could absolutely be wrong on that, and it's hard to check because so many of the profiles were just updated, but of those that weren't, three of them were modified between March 27 and April 9. And the remainder were all updated in October and November of 2023, right before charges were filed in January 2024 for Maureen's murder. So maybe there is news/new charges coming in a few weeks, and they're doing a review for anything that they can potentially add?

I do really hope that some of these Does get their names back soon. If he was searching known victims I'm positive he was searching others as well. Given that he apparently hired lots of sex workers without murdering them I'm sure police have had a hell of a time figuring out who among those he searched are still alive and who is missing, but I'm sure there are clues there.

ETA: Still glancing through to see if anything sticks out, but most of the cases I'm looking at from the batch edited on 9/5 had some clothing or fabric recovered with the victim. A few don't say, but some of them (Asian Doe, Baby Peaches) we know were found with fabric based on previous information about the case.

Last edited:
I just logged onto Namus for the first time since before this all happened, and I think it might legitimately have just been a mistake.

I track Asian Doe and Lattingtown Jane Doe in addition to Peaches and her baby, and all four of them had been modified, so I went to look at some others. Almost every single unidentified person in Nassau and Suffolk counties was modified on Sept. 5, and three others between Aug. 23 and 30.

My guess is that they are reviewing cases and taking notes of things like items that might potentially have suspect DNA (stray hairs, etc.) for testing against Heuermann/other potential suspects. This does seem to be something they do every few months, as others have noticed it before. But it doesn't seem like Peaches was singled out at all, just maybe something got misclicked when they were updating (although that could mean they have her name, and what got misclicked was that she was no longer unidentified, I guess).

That said, I vaguely remember another big batch modification right before they re-searched Manorville and North Sea, so maybe they've gotten more files from his devices and are reviewing to see if any cases match up. I could absolutely be wrong on that, and it's hard to check because so many of the profiles were just updated, but of those that weren't, three of them were modified between March 27 and April 9. And the remainder were all updated in October and November of 2023, right before charges were filed in January 2024 for Maureen's murder. So maybe there is news/new charges coming in a few weeks, and they're doing a review for anything that they can potentially add?
Very, very interesting. Do you recall how much ahead of the searches of Manorville and North Sea the updates/reviews were on NAMUS? Sorry, prob not since you said "vaguely".

Perhaps we'll be seeing LE making more searches in an attempt to strength cases before making an announcement for additional charges, do you think?

Very, very interesting. Do you recall how much ahead of the searches of Manorville and North Sea the updates/reviews were on NAMUS? Sorry, prob not since you said "vaguely".

Perhaps we'll be seeing LE making more searches in an attempt to strength cases before making an announcement for additional charges, do you think?

It was at least a couple weeks before, but I'm thinking it was probably late March/early April, based on the dates of those profiles that were not updated on this round. So about a month ahead of the Manorville and North Sea searches, and six or seven weeks before his home was searched again.

That would also line up with the October and November profile updates before the charges for Maureen's murder - if you consider it would take a week or two longer due to the holidays, then that's a very similar timeframe between a batch update and when new charges were filed and new information was released.

That said, two events are not really a pattern. That could easily just be coincidence. It'd be interesting if we could find out somehow if there was a big batch update 6-8 weeks before his arrest.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jasonax3
Back