Girl, 8, sent home 24 times for smelling

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I find it a little strange that only one of the two girls is being sent home repeatedly.

I feel horribly for those girls and really hope the parents get the help they need - both mental and sanitary.

I just went through the photos again and read comments. Easter picture comments from Mom on April 2, 2012 state "**** the one in red is 9 and ****is 7."

Older sis would be 10 now. If younger sis, who is 8, has been sent home 24 times, would it be safe to assume this time frame was beyond just this school year? There was mention that it is at least once per month. Could we also assume that sisters attend the same school? 8 year old being in second grade and 10 year old in fourth?

There is no mention of issues with the 10 year old being sent home. I would think if it was a situation of the clothes not being washed or directly related to issues in the home, older sis would have the same problems, right?

One of the comments on the newspage referenced Trimethylaminuria as the possible culprit, which is a rare genetic disease. Her pediatrician would not be able to diagnose this.

Trimethylaminuria (TMAU) is a metabolic disorder in which an individual is not able to break down trimethylamine into smaller parts. Trimethylamine is the substance that gives fish their distinctive smell. Since an individual with TMAU is unable to break down trimethylamine, they tend to have a fish-like odor coming from their sweat, urine, reproductive fluids, and breath. TMAU is caused by a mutation in the FMO3 gene and is inherited in an autosomal recessive pattern. This condition can be diagnosed by a test to measure the amount of trimethylamine in urine. Genetic testing can also be performed using a blood sample to diagnose TMAU. Although there is no cure for TMAU, the condition can be managed by reducing the amount of trimethylamine in the body. For example, people with TMAU can modify their diet to avoid foods with high levels of trimethylamine.
http://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/GARD/Condition/6447/Trimethylaminuria.aspx

When I hear hoofbeats, I first think of horses and not zebras. According to the school, child herself says she sleeps in her clothes and doesn't remember when she bathed.
I guess it's possible the child has some exotic disease, but looking at the photos and child's own statements, simple explanation appears much more likely to me.

When I hear hoofbeats, I first think of horses and not zebras. According to the school, child herself says she sleeps in her clothes and doesn't remember when she bathed.
I guess it's possible the child has some exotic disease, but looking at the photos and child's own statements, simple explanation appears much more likely to me.

I agree. The mom seems oblivious to why her daughter could possibly smell. We are just hearing her side of the story which seems to be blaming the school for sending her home. Perhaps the school has tried to work with the mom/CPS on this issue and the problem still exists. This family needs some intervention. Why is no one helping them? Are they refusing help? Looking at the pics on their face book pages you can see the filth in the background of the pics. I see they have at least 3 dogs and one cat from pics inside the house. One of the parents "likes" on FB is a FB group called "FACT Families Against CPS". So I am assuming that CPS has been involved with this family.

I caught that too flipflop.

I hope someone can get through to this family and this gets resolved for this little girl :(

Mom says she is a good student, and I hate to see a kiddo who seems to like learning missing out on the opportunity to do so, not to even mention the other concerns this opens ope about general living conditions and hygiene.

Gonna keep this little lady in my thoughts.

I find it a little strange that only one of the two girls is being sent home repeatedly.

I feel horribly for those girls and really hope the parents get the help they need - both mental and sanitary.

Some kids just naturally smell more than others too. Even sisters. As I mentioned before my youngest daughter has always had really stinky feet, whereas her older sister has feet that barely sweat and she would have to work really hard to get the stench that youngest gets from one day of light sweating.

In addition to that kids have different levels of awareness of being dirty. Some kids truly don't seem to care (again--doesn't matter if they're siblings!). And unfortunately, sometimes you get parental preference/laziness. Sometimes one kid is just a lot easier than another. If you tell them to bathe they will, tell another one to bathe and they fight, it can be easier for the lazy parent to figure, "oh well, I tried.".

It's a sad day when the thought running through my mind is that there should be a Basic Fundamentals of Life curriculum taught in schools to include personal hygiene.

Now, there are other basic fundamentals I've always said that should be taught in school such as balancing a check book and financial responsibility (Dave Ramsey) All home economics from ironing, washing and folding clothes, cooking, cleaning and ugh, now personal hygiene!

While I'm on my list, the remaining items are on relationships (target audience Juniors/Seniors) Requirement, reports/research papers on these books: Love & Respect and The 5 Love Languages.

I couldn't imagine being a teacher in today's world, essentially having to raise someone else's child.
In my area, 198 teachers have thrown in the towel during this past school year.
http://www.katc.com/news/unpublished-most-teachers-resigning-retiring-from-middle-and-elementary-schools/#!prettyPhoto[gallery]/1/

Big thumbs up to all of the teachers sticking it out.

Some kids just naturally smell more than others too. Even sisters. As I mentioned before my youngest daughter has always had really stinky feet, whereas her older sister has feet that barely sweat and she would have to work really hard to get the stench that youngest gets from one day of light sweating.

In addition to that kids have different levels of awareness of being dirty. Some kids truly don't seem to care (again--doesn't matter if they're siblings!). And unfortunately, sometimes you get parental preference/laziness. Sometimes one kid is just a lot easier than another. If you tell them to bathe they will, tell another one to bathe and they fight, it can be easier for the lazy parent to figure, "oh well, I tried.".

Well, and that's one bouncy little girl! She appears extremely active, and has dirt and grass stains all over her jeans. Increased activity level can make her more noticeably unclean than a sister who might sit quietly and not generate so much body heat.

yeah, I agree, it is a sad state of affairs when teachers have to teach basic skills when actually those life skills should be being taught by parents.

I 2nd your thumbs up to teachers.

Well, and that's one bouncy little girl! She appears extremely active, and has dirt and grass stains all over her jeans. Increased activity level can make her more noticeably unclean than a sister who might sit quietly and not generate so much body heat.

For sure. I noticed in her pictures she often has abrasions of some kind on her face, so I'm thinking she's a pretty rough and tumble, tom-boyish girl. (Not that there's ANYTHING wrong with that! lol) But yeah, you'd be a lot dirtier and sweatier.

Child is clearly very active. She was jumping up and down on the trampline through the interview. Which could contribute to body odor since she will sweat because of physical activity. I am not sure as to what a school can do in such a situation.

The girl does seem very active. But she shouldn't smell any worse than other active children, and surely she isn't the only one. She probably isn't the only child in school to live in an unkempt home in similar conditions either.

If there is no odd metabolic cause, perhaps an agreement with mom to send a spare outfit and a canister of baby wipes for those certain days would take care of it?

While I agree teachers shouldn't be raising students, the reality is that, in what, three or four years, teachers will be discussing sex with this child. A little talk now about hygiene is certainly no more personal than that. Once upon a time, we had hygiene talks in P.E. class beginning in 4th grade. Its not a new idea.

The girl does seem very active. But she shouldn't smell any worse than other active children, and surely she isn't the only one. She probably isn't the only child in school to live in an unkempt home in similar conditions either.

If there is no odd metabolic cause, perhaps an agreement with mom to send a spare outfit and a canister of baby wipes for those certain days would take care of it?
While I agree teachers shouldn't be raising students, the reality is that, in what, three or four years, teachers will be discussing sex with this child. A little talk now about hygiene is certainly no more personal than that. Once upon a time, we had hygiene talks in P.E. class beginning in 4th grade. Its not a new idea.

If the mom is running to the media to spread the word, Im guessing that she is not working "with" the school on this matter. By seeing the state of the inside of this house, I can see where the problem is. I wonder if they have a washer and dryer? I feel the teachers should not have to be lecturing an 8yr old about hygiene... it is not her fault. The parents need to be educated on how to raise and care for children. Seeing online that the mom is having some mental health issues, this family needs some help before this problem is handled. JMO

I also wonder if this child is a bed wetter? If she is already filthy, sleeping on dirty bedding in her clothes, wetting the bed and not bathing....I can see how she would smell foul and people around her complaining.

I was born not too awful far from where this family lives. And spent my all growing up summers there, climbing the hills, wading them cricks, picking blackberries, topping 'baccy, hoeing garden.... And if this family is anything like mine up yonder is, it'll take a act of God to clean that place up. Been there. It's like déjà vu...junky houses and stinky cousins....how I love them all.

I'm sorry Sha :(

Sometimes kids don't smell so good - it happens. But 24 incidents where a child smelled so bad she could not remain in school? There is no excuse for there not be some sort of resolve. IMO, it suggests an attitude issue with the adults involved, and the child is left to suffer the humiliation. IMO, this is bullying, whoever is responsible.

This story is so tragic. If the mother is being upfront (which I doubt she is), then the smells are probably a) coming from the home, b) lack of bathing, or c) lack of washing her clothes.

I would think the teachers would notice if this child was wearing the same clothes everyday, and her overall cleanliness (ie, hair, face, etc). If she's wearing shiny new clothes, then maybe it's a medical issue. Teeth perhaps?

Has anyone bothered to check out the home? If she's missing so much school, then maybe CPS should be involved. I hate to say that because I'm not a fan of CPS, but it looks like intervention is needed.

As parents it's so important that we take care of our children not only emotionally, but physically. And don't I know it -- my son's bathroom looks like a beauty parlor.

My heart goes out to this little one!

Mel

It kinda sounds like mom has a nasal/facial issue. Now I wonder if she simply can't smell very well? And I don't say that to bully or belittle, I truly do wonder if that's part of this problem.

It appears as though she doesn't have any teeth -- which could be the cause of the facial issue.

I also wonder if they have a washer/dryer. After seeing the video, it seems like they live in poor conditions (just my observation).

MOO

Mel

I feel the bully is every responsible adult who could help resolve this and doesn't. I could understand once or twice, until the source of the odor is identified and resolved. But 24? It looks like an issue between the adults, and the child is left to face the consequences while they battle their wills. I think mom has taken offense rather than action, and it doesn't matter how nicely its said, being told you smell too bad to stay in school 24 times is mean. Schools can and do routinely get involved in a number of issues that ideally should be handled at home. Why not this one?

Treeseeker, there was one article posted upthread where the school administrator said they hooked her up with agencies that could give her clothes and could help with toiletries and maybe it worked for awhile - there were months where she smelled okay and was not sent home. CPS was called and did a home visit and then the case was closed, so it sounds like she occasionally was able to get the standards up to acceptable.

When you go through their facebooks and look at the girls, they're loved and cherished by their parents and by an extended network who care about them.

THey are living in embarrassing filth, but are they worse off than kids who live in sparkly clean homes but have a stepparent who can barely conceal they despise the child? Or homes with vacant, absent parents who hide themselves in computer games or sleeping all afternoon and forget their kid's birthdays or forget to pick them up from events? These girls had parents who were actively helping them sell their allotment of girl scout cookies. Involved.

If this home can be brought up to a minimum standard, and the girls have access to daily soap and shampoo and toothpaste, I think they're in a good place.

And now, according to that media link a doc has volunteered to step in and members of the community are coming in to help out. I think this will turn around.

I feel the bully is every responsible adult who could help resolve this and doesn't. I could understand once or twice, until the source of the odor is identified and resolved. But 24? It looks like an issue between the adults, and the child is left to face the consequences while they battle their wills. I think mom has taken offense rather than action, and it doesn't matter how nicely its said, being told you smell too bad to stay in school 24 times is mean. Schools can and do routinely get involved in a number of issues that ideally should be handled at home. Why not this one?

School is there to teach the students, and not to make sure they are not smelling badly.
And while it might be mean to say to someone they have to stay home because of foul odor, who is supposed to be sitting next to that person in class?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karla Enriquez
Back