Gordon Lightfoot, legendary Canadian folk singer-songwriter, dies at 84

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Gordon Lightfoot, Canada's answer to U.S. singer-songwriters who provided the soundtrack for baby boomers coming of age amid a countercultural revolution, died Monday, his publicist said. He was 84.

Lightfoot died at Sunnybrook Hospital in Toronto of natural causes, publicist Victoria Lord said.

On April 11, he announced the cancellation of his 2023 performance schedule in North America. A statement cited unspecified "health related issues," and it said he expected to recover.

Lightfoot accomplished a feat more rarefied in popular music today, essentially becoming a one-man act who performed his own critically acclaimed music, including his most noted mid-1960s songs, "Early Mornin' Rain" and "For Lovin' Me."...

I was thinking, he's also very beloved in Canada because - unlike, for example, Joni Mitchell or Leonard Cohen - he stayed in Canada for his whole career.

Not that anyone resents other
talent's decisions, but he was truly home grown.

JMO

I was thinking, he's also very beloved in Canada because - unlike, for example, Joni Mitchell or Leonard Cohen - he stayed in Canada for his whole career.

Not that anyone resents other
talent's decisions, but he was truly home grown.

JMO

I was reading some interviews with him, as well as articles by journalists who had interviewed him in the past. He had gone to "Hollywood" in the late 60's to early 70's. It didn't work out for him and he returned to Canada, where he did much better. An interviewer asked him if he'd seen the recent movie "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood". He said he couldn't watch all of it. It reminded him of being there during the Manson murders. He was staying in the guest house of his friend Jack Nicholson, who lived on Mulholland Drive, just a couple of blocks from where the murders happened. It wasn't long after that he returned to Canada.

I was reading some interviews with him, as well as articles by journalists who had interviewed him in the past. He had gone to "Hollywood" in the late 60's to early 70's. It didn't work out for him and he returned to Canada, where he did much better. An interviewer asked him if he'd seen the recent movie "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood". He said he couldn't watch all of it. It reminded him of being there during the Manson murders. He was staying in the guest house of his friend Jack Nicholson, who lived on Mulholland Drive, just a couple of blocks from where the murders happened. It wasn't long after that he returned to Canada.
Interesting...I think throughout that time his 1st wife and children were living in Toronto, though. I never heard he moved them to the US.

Also, in those days, there were no recording studios, record producers, etc in Canada. He was signed to American record labels United Artists/Reprise/Warner, and recorded all his music in LA in the 60's. That's partly why so many artists would leave for the US (that, and the crappy weather). ;)

Last edited:
ETA
'' His two eldest children, Fred, 56, and Ingrid, 54, are in the Toronto area and each have two kids of their own. His sons Eric, 38, and Galen, 44, are on out the West Coast, but Lightfoot stays in close touch. Galen’s mother was a waitress at the Troubadour club in Los Angeles, with whom Lightfoot had an affair in the ’70s''

The Mulholland Drive bit is referenced in this book..
'This article was originally published in Zoomer magazine March 2020'
'Lightfoot was staying at his friend Jack Nicholson’s guesthouse on Mulholland Drive, in bed with Helena Kallianiotes, the striking belly dancer-actress who’d appeared in the Monkees’ experimental movie Head, which Nicholson had directed. They woke up the next morning and freaked out when they learned the Manson murders had taken place just a couple of blocks away.'
1683046106136.png

Last edited:
Interesting...I think throughout that time his 1st wife and children were living in Toronto, though. I never heard he moved them to the US.

Also, in those days, there were no recording studios, record producers, etc in Canada. He was signed to American record labels United Artists/Reprise/Warner, and recorded all his music in LA in the 60's. That's partly why so many artists would leave for the US (that, and the crappy weather). ;)

Very good point. As you say, back then, LA was a very big center for the recording industry. Many recording studios in town, as well as new record labels that focused on artists from the baby boom generation. IIRC, from what I've read in Neil Young and Joni's biographies, the Canadian artists helped each other out.

I found it interesting that he and Jack Nicholson were friends. It sounds like they had met before Gordon became a big name in the US. I get the impression Gord knew a lot of people, had a lot of friends.

This thread makes me think of other still-living singers who provided the sound track of our lives…for me it is Johnny Mathis, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Rambling Jack Elliot, Tom Paxton, Simon & Garfunkel (and Simon solo), Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, Joni Mitchell, Carole King, Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne, The Eagles, and so many others who are getting up in age. We’ve been privileged to have them this long, but we will be making threads like this for them too someday. So we treasure them now while we still can and we are grateful for the joy they’ve brought to our lives as well their impact on popular culture. Music is such an amazing gift.
The best era of music. Van Morrison, John Prine, Hendrix,Three Dog Night.

The best era of music. Van Morrison, John Prine, Hendrix,Three Dog Night.

My husband and I watched Woodstock - the Director's Cut last weekend on TCM. Yes, it was a very unique special time with so many talented artists. I need to make my own mix from those years. Classic Rock radio these days doesn't come close to covering it.

Santana is coming to town next month. My husband and I will go. It will be great to see Carlos again.

rbbm.
1683291992619.png
''Massey Hall will be open Sunday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. for those who would like to sign a book of condolences for Gordon Lightfoot.
The folk legend, who died Monday at the age of 84, was the artist to play the most at Toronto’s hallowed venue where he had a regular November residency around his birthday.''

The Massey Hall condolence book location is in addition to the public visitation for Lightfoot at St. Paul’s United Church in his hometown of Orillia, two hours north of Toronto.
People can pay their respects at St. Paul’s, 62 Peter St., on Sunday from 1-8 p.m. and sign a book of condolences there.
Lightfoot’s funeral will be private.''

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper