Greece - Caroline Crouch, 20, Murdered, Athens, May 11, 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the Minister of Justice proposed that convicted felons serve 80% of their sentence, instead of 60%, before they're eligible to be released. I hope it gets put into effect. Most people here are enraged, because criminals more often than not get a slap on the wrist as a punishment, and are able to reoffend many times, which is often unfortunately the case.
Slightly off topic, I just saw on the news that a 58 year old man was shot and killed an hour or so ago outside a souvlaki restaurant in another suburb of Athens-Metamorfosi. Allegedly it was a contract killing. Jesus, the criminal activity in Greece these past weeks...

And just over a month ago, there was the murder of a well-known journalist of organized crime . . .

Giorgos Karaivaz - Wikipedia
Execution-Style Killing of Greek Journalist Sends Shockwaves across Europe, West
Λ. Οικονόμου για δολοφονία Καραϊβάζ: Οι έρευνες δείχνουν οργανωμένο έγκλημα | Η ΚΑΘΗΜΕΡΙΝΗ

Yes, the Minister of Justice proposed that convicted felons serve 80% of their sentence, instead of 60%, before they're eligible to be released. I hope it gets put into effect. Most people here are enraged, because criminals more often than not get a slap on the wrist as a punishment, and are able to reoffend many times, which is often unfortunately the case.
Slightly off topic, I just saw on the news that a 58 year old man was shot and killed an hour or so ago outside a souvlaki restaurant in another suburb of Athens-Metamorfosi. Allegedly it was a contract killing. Jesus, the criminal activity in Greece these past weeks...
I think that the high crime rate is caused by pandemic - people are going crazy. As for harsher sentences for felons - I agree, put them in cells and throw away the key!

Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind... I was shocked when I heard the news, I had passed by the area he lived in 2-3 days prior to his murder. A little while ago, the only thing you would hear from the media was covid. Now it's covid, mixed with murders and robberies and executions.

I think that the high crime rate is caused by pandemic - people are going crazy
Indeed. Up until a few weeks ago, the hospitals in Athens were flooded by covid patients, some of whom had to be intubated in simple rooms and hallways, as opposed to the ICU. At some point, a patient, who was sharing a room with an intubated 70 year old man, got bothered by the sound of the monitors and the ventilator, and after repeated attempts to switch them off, just straight up removed his tube and killed him. If I remember well he had a history of bipolar disorder, but pre-pandemic his behavior was normal.
It's crazy to think about how many consequences this pandemic has, other than the obvious ones...

I also wonder about the "lookout" guy. Doesn't hanging around in the street in the early hours risk drawing attention? I kind of get if he is in a car ready to go.

The whole thing doesn't really suggest experienced burglars/robbers.

Clearly this story does not seem to add up, however we have to bank all our information from what we read in the news, which quite frankly almost always contains fabrication from the writer. Sky news, bbc news all of them are nothing short of fake news and are the “opinion” of the journalist rather than fact.

what does seem to be consistent is the police seem really sure what direction there going in. Im also shocked the girl has been buried so quickly.

Time will tell.

Clearly this story does not seem to add up, however we have to bank all our information from what we read in the news, which quite frankly almost always contains fabrication from the writer. Sky news, bbc news all of them are nothing short of fake news and are the “opinion” of the journalist rather than fact.

what does seem to be consistent is the police seem really sure what direction there going in. Im also shocked the girl has been buried so quickly.

Time will tell.
I wanted to like your post but then you called Sky News and BBC fake news.

I also wonder about the "lookout" guy. Doesn't hanging around in the street in the early hours risk drawing attention? I kind of get if he is in a car ready to go.

The whole thing doesn't really suggest experienced burglars/robbers.

... sans mask as well.

Plus, what is he 'looking out' for? the police? and if so, what does he do next? nip inside and tell everyone to shush? and was the poor dog hanging from the railing at this point?

I wanted to like your post but then you called Sky News and BBC fake news.

Maybe fake news is the wrong description, But i find since Donald Trump that all news groups use opinion rather actual facts. Sad but very true.

There wasn’t a positive article on sky news about Trump when he was president, which to me, is not journalism, its a campaign. But i guess that's for another thread.

... sans mask as well.

Plus, what is he 'looking out' for? the police? and if so, what does he do next? nip inside and tell everyone to shush? and was the poor dog hanging from the railing at this point?
Perhaps the neighbors? There were houses in the area, including an adjacent one (it would be interesting to hear what its owners have to say, if they heard anything etc). But you're right, if I passed by the area at 4-6 am in the morning and saw a lone man just standing or lurking near a house (especially if I was local and knew he had no reason to be there) i'd be VERY suspicious of him. It doesn't make a lot of sense, it's not like they feared a friend or a relative could pass by that early in the morning and stumble upon them.

An oddity in the various (confused) reports.

If the dog was killed inside, why take it outside and hang it up? Seems somewhat theatrical.
Reports differ, I've read others which say the dog was hung in the stairwell, which from a video I've seen seems to be just behind the door, in a sort of turret, at the rear of the house. I watched an investigator entering that door and immediately start to ascend up some stairs.

42894726-9569819-image-a-22_1620822909515.jpg

Greece burglary murder: Husband 'begged' thieves not to hurt his family | Daily Mail Online

I'd be interested to know what time the neighbour heard the dog barking -

‘He was completely in shock. He couldn’t speak. I brought him a blanket. I’d heard the dog barking earlier in the night [before the pet was strangled] but although it was unusual for him to make a noise, as he is normally so quiet, I assumed he was just fighting with the cat.’
Grief-stricken mother of British woman murdered in Greek home by gang of robbers prays at graveside | Daily Mail Online

I think we need to be careful about carelessly referring to criminals as “psychos” or “psychopaths”. That’s a medical diagnosis and the killer/s are more likely to just be plain bad.

IMO the age gap scenario is one of the less unpleasant things in all of this; on the surface at least B was respectful of C, “courting” her for two years, “waiting” until she finished school. Has anyone read any comments regarding the general state of their marriage? Have any friends been interviewed and mentioned any arguments or tension between them? Having a baby is a big strain!

I think if the exposure level for this case continues that the truth will out.

If i was a family member id make sure this was kept in the limelight till someone is caught or someone breaks under the pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSI1005