Found Deceased Greece - Dr. Suzanne Eaton, 60, American, gone for a run, Crete, 2 Jul 2019 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The police will now be trying to catch the perp(s) through their phone pings:

DailyMail.com has established that officers, in the days after mother-of-two Eaton's body was found, walked around the former Nazi bunker, talking to Greece's three major phone companies, Cosmote, Vodafone and Wind, from their own cell phones.

A source said: 'They did this because they wanted to test close to the cave their own phones and co-ordinates and then with the help of GPS mapping and computer data find out which other mobile phones have been in that area in the last week.

American biologist's killer had a CELL PHONE during the murder, Greek police believe | Daily Mail Online

The title is a little misleading. IF the perp had a working phone on them while in the vicinity of the bunker, they might be identified through cell tower data.

that's a good idea and the first I've heard of LE doing that

Update says LE believes she was abducted returning from her run. 2 residents of the village of Afrata claim they saw here and one was able to describe the outfit she was wearing

Afrata is in the opposite direction from where her body was found

Greek police are close to a breakthrough in the case of murdered American biologist | Daily Mail Online

So horrifying. I was on the fence on whether she knew her killer or not. This info pushes me firmly into the "random" local killer camp. I pray they catch the perp soon.

MOO.

So horrifying. I was on the fence on whether she knew her killer or not. This info pushes me firmly into the "random" local killer camp. I pray they catch the perp soon.

MOO.

Same. I’m from an island similar to Crete and I’ve gone on jogs during daytime thinking I’m completely safe. This is devastating. Nobody is truly safe anywhere, even in places there isn’t a history of such incidences.

So she walked or jogged 3 miles to the fishing village of Afrata, and was on her way back to the academy when she was abducted.

View attachment 193145

From the latest Daily Mail article:
'She was walking quite fast near a bridge and small church on the road out of the village. I was walking and she walked past me. I am sad about what has happened to her.'

I've updated my google map of locations.
Dr Suzanne Eaton - Crete - Google My Maps

An aside: There is one church marked by Google in the village of Afrata. It doesn't appear to be by a bridge and it's on a road that heads out of town in the wrong direction, so there must be another small church in town. I can't find a bridge.

Last edited:
The area heading out of Afrata is covered with olive trees.
The area where the hatch is, is covered with olive trees.

While olive trees are plentiful in Crete, I wonder if this is why LE mentioned that they have focused on agricultural workers (among others).

It does sound like she walked too far, didn't realize the time and then was in a rush to return to he academy. I would be surprised if she would jump into a stranger's vehicle - that doesn't sound right, regardless of how late or hot it was.

upload_2019-7-12_17-1-3.png

upload_2019-7-12_17-2-35.png

The area heading out of Afrata is covered with olive trees.
The area where the hatch is, is covered with olive trees.

While olive trees are plentiful in Crete, I wonder if this is why LE mentioned that they have focused on agricultural workers (among others).

Burlap is used in olive groves, and police would have been able to identify if the burlap found with her body was used for fishing or agriculture.

From the Daily Mail article:

An 85-year-old gardener and an elderly fisherman have both independently told detectives they saw 59-year-old Dr. Eaton in the village of Afrata, which is three miles from the place she had been staying.

Officers now believe Dr. Eaton, who had two sons, disappeared a mile outside of Afrata as she made her way back to the Orthodox Academy of Crete where she was due to be a keynote conference speaker.

How do they know she disappeared a mile outside of Afrata - evidence of blood at the side of the road maybe?

From the Daily Mail article:

An 85-year-old gardener and an elderly fisherman have both independently told detectives they saw 59-year-old Dr. Eaton in the village of Afrata, which is three miles from the place she had been staying.

Officers now believe Dr. Eaton, who had two sons, disappeared a mile outside of Afrata as she made her way back to the Orthodox Academy of Crete where she was due to be a keynote conference speaker.

How do they know she disappeared a mile outside of Afrata - evidence of blood at the side of the road maybe?

It sounds like they've spoken to witnesses who were in the area that day. They have two witnesses and a location. Maybe no one who was in the area saw her after that time and location.

This is all just nuts...

What a beautiful woman, inside & out...

It might be too late for me but: she's who I'd like to be when I grow up ;)

I've been on the fence - & with the lack of verifiable facts: still am.

If this is personal - the perp(s) don't stand a chance - this day & age of internet, cell phones, emails & surveillance....on the other hand: if random deranged individual I fear they will not be caught.

The thing is usually olive farming is done in the winter. During the summer the trees are watered but not usually in the middle of the day when the sun is strong and will tend to evaporate water. Sounds like this person set out to commit a crime that day and Dr. Eaton was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Though I do think this person is definitely an AG worker. Keep in mind this person may not be a Greek native. A lot of migrant workers are hired to help with agriculture and since there were olive trees where the bunker was, this person would know about it. JMO

I've survived the Athenian summer, Mykonos too. Hard to believe anyone would attempt to run/hike in the afternoon. Maybe she became disoriented or panicky. Sun prostration can do funny things with your brain. As for those here arguing for a Nazi connection, yes there are skinheads and anarchists, many in fact, but the dumping of the body in a Nazi tunnel was purely accidental IMO.

The thing is usually olive farming is done in the winter. During the summer the trees are watered but not usually in the middle of the day when the sun is strong and will tend to evaporate water. Sounds like this person set out to commit a crime that day and Dr. Eaton was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Though I do think this person is definitely an AG worker. Keep in mind this person may not be a Greek native. A lot of migrant workers are hired to help with agriculture and since there were olive trees where the bunker was, this person would know about it. JMO

That was what I had wondered about.
Questions:
- is watering done by automated irrigation systems?
- are the olive farms/groves in Crete owned by a lot of small entrepreneurs or are they owned by large multi-grove owners?
- if there isn't a need for many basic AG workers during this time of year, who tends to be on the properties? Farm managers? Farm owners and/or extended families who live on/near the various properties?
- suppliers to the owners/managers?

I've survived the Athenian summer, Mykonos too. Hard to believe anyone would attempt to run/hike in the afternoon. Maybe she became disoriented or panicky. Sun prostration can do funny things with your brain. As for those here arguing for a Nazi connection, yes there are skinheads and anarchists, many in fact, but the dumping of the body in a Nazi tunnel was purely accidental IMO.

For reference, the weather at 3:00 pm on July 2nd was:
  • temp - 27 degrees (about 81 degrees F)
  • feels like - 28 degrees
  • sun with some cloud
Source: Crete Historical Weather

As a resident of southern Ontario Canada....that is a temperature that many people would run in, and think nothing of it. And, we often have higher humidity.
So I don't think it's shocking that she would go for a run/walk that day and I don't think it would be enough to cause heat/sunstroke, considering she ran the day before, with no terrible consequences. (It was a couple of degrees cooler the day before though.)

Of course it is possible that she pushed herself too much on the hills, and the sun could have been very intense. So I'm not ruling it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Briankap