Found Deceased Greece - Dr. Suzanne Eaton, 60, American, gone for a run, Crete, 2 Jul 2019 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zecats said:

Either would have made noise. She would have screamed. If the knife wounds are defensive wounds, she would have screamed. Otherwise it leads me to believe she was subdued quickly, mouth taped perhaps?

BBM
I'm thinking either that, or she was rendered unconscious first.

Zecats said:

Either would have made noise. She would have screamed. If the knife wounds are defensive wounds, she would have screamed. Otherwise it leads me to believe she was subdued quickly, mouth taped perhaps?

BBM

I see why police suspect more than one perp...

Zecats said:

BBM

It sounds like her mouth and nose were covered by a hand, her selfdefense training made no difference. Maybe she didn't have a chance to scream. Maybe the ear and knife wounds happened when she could not make any noise.

ISIS kidnapping that went wrong, or what? Who in their right mind abducts and murders the plenary speaker for an international conference?

It sounds like her mouth and nose were covered by a hand, her selfdefense training made no difference. Maybe she didn't have a chance to scream. Maybe the ear and knife wounds happened when she could not make any noise.

ISIS kidnapping that went wrong, or what? Who in their right mind abducts and murders the plenary speaker for an international conference?

Ummmm, has ISIS operated like this before? This doesn’t seem to be their method of attack. I don’t want to venture too off topic.

ETA: I wish Police knew who did this. I can assure you their mind wasn’t right regardless of motive.

Ummmm, has ISIS operated like this before? This doesn’t seem to be their method of attack. I don’t want to venture too off topic.

ETA: I wish Police knew who did this. I can assure you their mind wasn’t right regardless of motive.

No idea. Daesh ISUS is unpredictable.

Agreed. The person who slices off an ear prior to murder, their mind wasn’t right.

I've read all the reporting (english translated versions of local account) and haven't seen whether the Greek authorities will be bringing in outside authorities to assist in the investigation?

I also looked for a statement from US authorities and couldn't find one and ditto for the German authorities. There was a statement from Planck Institute/employer on behalf of their lost collegue.

The CBS article also said that SE had to be identified by dental records sent from Germany due to decomposition. The CBS article also said 'suspects' had been brought in and DNA samples taken but other articles said there were no 'suspects', so situation seems fluid. The same article also said that DNA was found under the fingernails of SE and the coroner quote was that, "this wasn't a quick death". Sounds like a struggle and painful death based on coroner statement. Given what we have heard about the COD does anyone here see this murder as a possible hate or politically oriented crime? Was there any significance to the placement of the body in the Nazi caves? Or, were the caves just a convenient place to hide a body? So many questions and I hope the officials in Greece complete a thorough investigation.

The reason I heard about this case was because someone I met on the Jean Hanlon (UK citizen) case in 2009 (another violent crime in Crete) contacted me to let me know. In the Hanlon case there were many questions (still are today) about Greek government investigation of a suspicious death in a popular tourist destination. The circumstances of the 2 cases seem very different other than that both were violent and directed at a female.

I know its impossible to compare cases but the only reason I brought up this prior case was because it never seemed to get the resources necessary for a proper investigation and I hope that isn't the case with this most recent case.

Here is link to family site for Hanlon case about their 10 year battle to obtain information and justice: Online petition: Justice for Jean Hanlon/Porter’s suspicious death in Crete to learn more about what they experienced in Crete/Greece.

Last edited:
Sadistic Killers

A bit of psychology into the type of monster killer that torments first.

ETA: part of the motive could be someone wanted control over a very intelligent accomplished woman.
If this was a random psycho, they wouldn't have a clue how accomplished she was. Academic background doesn't prevent you from being a victim.

If this was a random psycho, they wouldn't have a clue how accomplished she was. Academic background doesn't prevent you from being a victim.

Random lunatic is a possibility. How did the lunatic lure Suzanne out of the building and off the academy grounds, leaving her cellphone behind? That sounds like a quick "let me show you something" adventure that went wrong.

If the lunatic didn't grab her in the building, and she went South for run, was he drooling on the trails waiting for a 59 year old woman to come along?

I suppose this murder was committed by a strong Greek local man who had a car and access to the academy grounds on July 2.

Are Greek Islands a dangerous place for women to travel for conference?

Last edited:
Random lunatic is a possibility. How did the lunatic lure Suzanne out of the building and off the academy grounds, leaving her cellphone behind? That sounds like a quick "let me show you something" adventure that went wrong.

If the lunatic didn't grab her in the building, and she went South for run, was he drooling on the trails waiting for a 59 year old woman to come along?
My money is on this being a random attack. She likely didn't go south on her own, since she wasn't seen on CCTV. She could have gone north (without her phone), got lost and run into someone who appeared nice or offered to take her back by car. If they want to kill a person for the thrill, age of the victim doesn't matter as much.

My top theory right now is that she had been spotted while running by a local, strong young man or several men. They saw her again the next day and an idea formed in their mind. On the third day they put the idea into action. They likely wanted to rape her and thought a knife would be enough to scare her into compliance. They didn't expect her to fight back and be able to slip out of their grip and run. They sprinted after her and held her around the neck and face, suffocating her. They then put her in their car and under cover of darkness disposed of her body in the spot we know.

Jmo.

My money is on this being a random attack. She likely didn't go south on her own, since she wasn't seen on CCTV. She could have gone north (without her phone), got lost and run into someone who appeared nice or offered to take her back by car. If they want to kill a person for the thrill, age of the victim doesn't matter as much.

She played piano at 3PM, presumably associated with plenary speaker and she was not wearing running shoes. That would suggest that she went to her room after playing piano, changed clothes and shoes, and then what ... opened her door to who, when where, why, why not take her phone?

It sounds like the only way out of the building to not be seen is South.

She played piano at 3PM, presumably associated with plenary speaker and she was not wearing running shoes. That would suggest that she went to her room after playing piano, changed clothes and shoes, and then what ... opened her door to who, when where, why, why not take her phone?

It sounds like the only way out of the building to not be seen is South.
The fact that she changed, tells me that she was planning on going out. What are the chances that she was attacked in her room just before she headed out (a very small time frame, unless someone was hiding in the room)?

The fact that she changed, tells me that she was planning on going out. What are the chances that she was attacked in her room just before she headed out (a very small time frame, unless someone was hiding in the room)?

If she was wearing her morning conference outfit when played the piano, and wore running shoes when she was found, that changes the time from 3PM playing piano, to 3:30PM after changing, 4PM if she showered.

Suppose she left her room at 4:30 PM to go for a run, but no one saw her after 3PM? Why not?

I think she must have gone back to her room after the piano recital, and then she changed. If she was seen at 3PM playing piano, it's more likely 4 or 4:30 PM that she left her room again in running shoes.

What happened next? Did she leave via the South exit and run the trails or roads?

@Snoopster did you see my previous post? There was a link to the exact location on Google maps: Google Maps

I found it by visually checking the satellite map for road bridges since there aren't that many of them in Kolymbari. It's clear this is the same bridge seen on the video where you see the area that's been cordoned off by the police. That's as close as you can get to the actual spot, the Google vehicle didn't get any closer cause it's a farm and construction site.

@otto Greek islands are not unsafe for women to travel to for conferences or otherwise. I've frequently travelled to conferences there myself (both Crete and other islands) and I know many other women scientists who have travelled to the islands solo, for conferences and work.

Last edited:
Some people have posted that she missed lunch and would have eaten something after 3PM. Conferences have set meals, and between events there are drinks and snacks. Some people said that there are only drinks between conference talks, but quite often there is cheese, crackers, muffins, fruits and snacks.

If her last meal was 2 hours before death, and she was playing the piano at 3PM, then it seems that her last meal was after 3PM and not 12 noon (as with conferences), unless meal and snack have the same meaning. Maybe she had a snack during the 2:15 break. Does that she was dead by 5:30PM? In the cave by 8:40PM, and everything on schedule for the murderer at 9PM?
Most of my dental conferences just had drinks in between sessions or short breaks during lectures. We were often close to restaurants or in an area with gift shops. I’d often skip the included lunches to walk around (all that setting during sessions left me wanting to stretch my legs). I’d grab a candy bar or protein bar, etc at the gift shop. I’ve ambled off to just go for walks, etc. I’m drained around people, so I mostly went off alone. I was at a whim, so I never knew exactly where I’d end up. Nobody knew where I was. I even left early for the day a few times.

Perhaps Suzanne kept protein bars with her in her bag or in her room. She may have had it when she was in her room. She could’ve kept some cheese, apples, etc in her room, too, and just ate in her room.

I’ve wondered the exact same thing. She could’ve even opened the door if someone knocked, and they rushed the door, giving her little time to react, especially if they had a weapon. I have no clue. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx