DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2013/10/30/21233071.html
bbm.
"Bulgaria takes 7 of Roma girl's brothers and sisters into care"

"Ruseva and her husband, both Bulgarian Roma, have nine other children aged between 2 and 20 and live in deep poverty, occupying one room in a crumbling house in the town of Nikolaevo, 280 km (170 miles) east of Sofia.

TV footage that showed the children in shabby clothes sleeping on a mud floor and speaking little Bulgarian caused public outrage.

“We decided to accommodate four of the kids with foster families,” Diana Kaneva, head of the agency for social assistance in the area, told Reuters on Wednesday.

“Two children will be sent to a state institution and one will be placed with relatives of the family,” she said, adding that the measures were temporary and contacts between children and their parents would be encouraged by the social workers.

Two other children are over 18 and not subject to state protection".

BBM...that scares the daylights out of me. If they are institutionalizing the kids, that is likely because they feel there are developmental or physical delays. I hope I am wrong, but from all I've seen about way that those institutions are run, especially the mental institutions, I fear those poor kids have just been handed their death sentence. They would have been better off being left poor and filthy with their own mother than put into the hands of the state institution.

Not just a life sentence, but a death sentence. If there are any mental delays at all, I fear for those two kids lives now.

I opted not to link to some of the horrifying reports about the mental institutions for Bulgarian children, as I don't want to presume these kids to have mental issues. But I recall reading elsewhere that many times Roma kids are de facto assigned "mentally challenged" labels even in schools simply because they are not socialized to the non-Roma world, language, etc.
I am still perplexed about the legal issues here with Bulgaria and Greece for Maria. I think we're seeing new jurisdictional frontiers and both nations flying by the seats of their pants so far.

Yup. I know. I've yet to see a source, however, stating that Bulgarian "dad" has been tested. Which I find odd.

Both mom and dad have to carry albino gene since it's a recessive trait.
So, it's pretty much guaranteed he is the dad.

BBM...that scares the daylights out of me. If they are institutionalizing the kids, that is likely because they feel there are developmental or physical delays. I hope I am wrong, but from all I've seen about way that those institutions are run, especially the mental institutions, I fear those poor kids have just been handed their death sentence. They would have been better off being left poor and filthy with their own mother than put into the hands of the state institution.

More likely it is because of age or behavioural issues.

They would have looked to family members to take them in first, but probably the family members refused.

The institutions are last resort options, meaning that no one else wants them.

I opted not to link to some of the horrifying reports about the mental institutions for Bulgarian children, as I don't want to presume these kids to have mental issues. But I recall reading elsewhere that many times Roma kids are de facto assigned "mentally challenged" labels even in schools simply because they are not socialized to the non-Roma world, language, etc.
I am still perplexed about the legal issues here with Bulgaria and Greece for Maria. I think we're seeing new jurisdictional frontiers and both nations flying by the seats of their pants so far.

It is not a jurisdictional frontier.

Maria was born in Greece, was abandoned in Greece, has cultural and linguistic ties to Greece and lived all her life in Greece, and it is entirely up to the Greeks to decide what to do next. She does have Bulgarian citizenship, but that is not really the issue. The Bulgarians might ask for her back, but they have no way of enforcing that. The mother has effectively given up any parental rights by her actions. The father appears to be a silent figure who does nothing, so I don't think he counts. Maria may also have Greek citizenship, depending on how the courts interpret the law. I think the most likely outcome is that the Greeks will decide that she is their responsibility and put her out for adoption, probably in one of their own Roma communities.

More likely it is because of age or behavioural issues.

They would have looked to family members to take them in first, but probably the family members refused.

The institutions are last resort options, meaning that no one else wants them.

In the news pictures of the siblings all together, the one boy appeared to have eyesight issues. I'm afraid that alone was probably enough for them to deem him as an institution case. I can only hope that the two kids that were sent to institutions went to a "good" one. If not, I imagine their lives just got a whole lot worse than they were before.

Time will tell. Of the options, Greece and that Roma community she's grown up in appear to be the better of the (fairly poor) options.

Both mom and dad have to carry albino gene since it's a recessive trait.
So, it's pretty much guaranteed he is the dad.

Not necessarily. If they come from an isolated community they will probably be interbred, so many people in the village likely carry the gene.

We don't know that Maria actually is albino. Roma are a mix of Indian and European ancestry, so individuals could easily look like other Europeans. We also don't know what the parents immediate ancestry is - for all we know one of the grandparents or great grandparents could be non-Roma. She does not have to be albino to look that way.

I suppose it is possible that the adult daughter could be her mother as well. She would have the same DNA set so she could match too.

I don't think it is important however. What we can say is that they are her biological family, but not her parents. Her parents would be the Greek couple, but, because of their illegal behaviour in all of this, they will probably be excluded from her future.

Maria needs to go to a family that can legally adopt her
She shouldnt go back to neither
By sending her back there saying its ok to have babies u can ill afgord and flog them off for a few hundred quid to someone who already has a house full

How many have been sold to others ?!? Where are they now?

Oh and just to add i currently have 6 foster cats and 2 dogs...i donate £20 a month to the blue cross.. since 2009..

No, the adult daughter doesn't not have "the same" DNA as her mother.
They've already ID both of them as parents of M. So there is no doubt who the parents are.

May God Bless this child and the journey ahead.

Bulgarian Social Workers Seize 'Roma Angel' Brothers, Sisters

http://www.novinite.com/articles/15...+Workers+Seize+'Roma+Angel'+Brothers,+Sisters

Since the children won't be living with the couple, Sasha and Atanas will not be eligible for child allowances, which are currently thier sole incomes.

In the next article linked (downthread) it indicates the two youngest children will remain with bio-Mom in a shelter, so maybe things aren't as settled yet as the press would have us believe. What a mess.

In the next article linked (downthread) it indicates the two youngest children will remain with bio-Mom in a shelter, so maybe things aren't as settled yet as the press would have us believe. What a mess.

I hope that is what they meant by "state institution".

Heartbreaking story all around. This woman 's story has the ring of truth imo.
Wish her husband would lift a hand to help with those crying children while the birth mom, tries to give a tv interview. he looks very well fed. imo.

As to a ring of truth, does anyone recall the video of Maria dancing with the blonde woman who was said to be the daughter of the Mayor/President/ whatever of that Roma village? I hope they are looking into her activities.

They are not taking them away, but placing 4 in foster homes, 2 in an institution, and another with a relative? Ummm. Semantics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx