Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We did a food run yesterday - pickup outside grocery store. I ordered a few days in advance. They were out of weird things like Romaine lettuce. Still not finding Lysol/Clorox wipes or hand sanitizer anywhere. By the time they come back in stock, this pandemic will be over. I check Amazon and Walmart daily. I don't understand why they're not coming back into stock. They can't all be made in China.

If there was ever a rallying cry for us to be self sufficient, this pandemic should do it.

IMO, it will last several days. If your elec goes out, throw a heavy blanket or rug over it. More insulation. Mine also has frozen water.
We ended up grilling all our thawed freezer meat with the neighbors last hurricane - come June we won’t be able to due to social distancing - that was a “fun” part of hurricaning for me
JMO
Also I found everything on my list except boneless skinless chicken breasts at my Aldi including bleach - I don’t bother looking for Lysol - I’m using a lot of white vinegar

My understanding from asking at the supermarket is that there is a major supply-chain disruption and that which is produced is being sent to hospitals, clinics, nursing homes and other essential businesses. The manager of my supermarket actually said he doesn’t expect to get any shipments until late summer. Here’s an article about it published last Friday.

Household cleaning products like Lysol and Clorox wipes won't be fully back in stock until July or August, supply-chain experts say

Really appreciate that info--thanks for posting it-makes sense now

IMO, it will last several days. If your elec goes out, throw a heavy blanket or rug over it. More insulation. Mine also has frozen water.
Ah, good to know. I didn’t think of that. Thanks! I did order 2 tarps even tho I have a new roof.

My daughters furniture is in the garage. We will need to pull it further in, set it up off the cement, then cover it. I know from experience the blowing rain will spray around the best sealed door.

We ended up grilling all our thawed freezer meat with the neighbors last hurricane - come June we won’t be able to due to social distancing - that was a “fun” part of hurricaning for me
JMO
Also I found everything on my list except boneless skinless chicken breasts at my Aldi including bleach - I don’t bother looking for Lysol - I’m using a lot of white vinegar
Oh that reminds me I need to get some charcoal and a gas starter cylinder. I have a Weber grill with this cool little gas starter and it lights the charcoal. Then you shut it off. I’m pretty scared of fire so it’s perfect for me.

Yesterday's observances in a grocery store:

The outside cart corrals are empty. As soon as a cart is corralled, it is whisked into the store for decontamination. The entire cart is misted and wiped down. Unless you can hurdle barricades, you will comply with "enter here only" and "exit here only". There are a lot of old style open floor freezers and coolers in this store. There are actually employees assigned to each department to walk around and disinfect where people touch the edges of the appliances. All employees masked. Jmo

Reporting from Kentuckiana. ;)

The outside cart corrals are empty. As soon as a cart is corralled, it is whisked into the store for decontamination. The entire cart is misted and wiped down. Unless you can hurdle barricades, you will comply with "enter here only" and "exit here only". There are a lot of old style open floor freezers and coolers in this store. There are actually employees assigned to each department to walk around and disinfect where people touch the edges of the appliances. All employees masked. Jmo

That's pretty amazing to me. I haven't been in a grocery store here in California since...late February? I should ask my daughters what it's like. I think they would have mentioned if there were major disinfection of carts going on. I know they take their own wipes.

I have noticed today separate exit and entrance and one way markers on the floor around the store. It seems to be helping. Except I went in the exit first by mistake and security sent me back out to go in the right way. Doh!
:)

That's pretty amazing to me. I haven't been in a grocery store here in California since...late February? I should ask my daughters what it's like. I think they would have mentioned if there were major disinfection of carts going on. I know they take their own wipes.
Here in VA it's like the twilight zone. IMO Everyone has on masks/gloves and is afraid to even say hello. There are shields at every register. I went to help an older lady who had fallen and dropped her cane. She yelled at me to get away.
"Enter here only" & "Exit here only" makes ABSOLUTELY no sense to me. MOO The Kroger here has 3 entrances, why are we all using one? No sense at all.

Around here, we can't take a cart that hasn't been disinfected.

I went back to Aldi (Ohio) this morning for the senior hour. Got there about 10 minutes early and there weren't a lot of cars at Walmart so I decided to run in and pick up a few things while waiting for Aldi to open. OMG! I've heard horror stories from my son for over a month but I wasn't prepared for the inconsiderate, obnoxious and down right ignorant attitude of most of the customers and a few of the stocking employees. Stockers and cashier were wearing masks and gloves but only maybe 10% of customers wore masks. The one way arrows and six foot distancing markers were on the floor but everyone ignored them. Several times in 5 minutes I had people come within a foot of me but there was no way to back out of the lanes as I was blocked in from both directions. I couldn't wait to get out of there!

I threw the bags in the truck, then twirled around in the parking lot swinging my arms, kicking my legs and shaking my head up and down trying to get the air through my hair. Get me sun, get me wind get me get me before I get in the truck. All was well in Aldi.

This is what I don't understand at all... only 42 cases in that county. There are 2 Walmarts in the county and this behavior has been the norm for over a month. Why aren't more people sick?

SBM

"Enter here only" & "Exit here only" makes ABSOLUTELY no sense to me. MOO The Kroger here has 3 entrances, why are we all using one? No sense at all.

It's so that you can't end up face to face with people exiting while you are entering. If someone is infected would you rather have them breathing near your neck and back walking behind you or breathing right in your face walking towards you? I think it's smart to make the foot traffic in the store one way. MOO.

Is this a Kroger?

I went back to Aldi (Ohio) this morning for the senior hour. Got there about 10 minutes early and there weren't a lot of cars at Walmart so I decided to run in and pick up a few things while waiting for Aldi to open. OMG! I've heard horror stories from my son for over a month but I wasn't prepared for the inconsiderate, obnoxious and down right ignorant attitude of most of the customers and a few of the stocking employees. Stockers and cashier were wearing masks and gloves but only maybe 10% of customers wore masks. The one way arrows and six foot distancing markers were on the floor but everyone ignored them. Several times in 5 minutes I had people come within a foot of me but there was no way to back out of the lanes as I was blocked in from both directions. I couldn't wait to get out of there!

I threw the bags in the truck, then twirled around in the parking lot swinging my arms, kicking my legs and shaking my head up and down trying to get the air through my hair. Get me sun, get me wind get me get me before I get in the truck. All was well in Aldi.

This is what I don't understand at all... only 42 cases in that county. There are 2 Walmarts in the county and this behavior has been the norm for over a month. Why aren't more people sick?
LOL @Tillicum , I went through the same scenario on Friday! I had to go there as I was looking for a onesie for my puppy who recently had surgery...not many places open to get that (Target didn’t have her size...btw much different there as they wipe carts as you come in & wipe as each person leaves self pay, almost everyone had masks on too!). When I left Walmart, I slathered in hand sanitizer in my car. When I got home I jumped in the shower then disinfected my car. We have over 1,300 cases in my county in Fl.

It's so that you can't end up face to face with people exiting while you are entering. If someone is infected would you rather have them breathing near your neck and back walking behind you or breathing right in your face walking towards you? I think it's smart to make the foot traffic in the store one way. MOO.
OK. That makes sense. But the Kroger I go to has 3 entrances. With only one open. Why only have one open? That's not social distancing IMO. It's more like let's put all the germs in one spot.

OK. That makes sense. But the Kroger I go to has 3 entrances. With only one open. Why only have one open? That's not social distancing IMO. It's more like let's put all the germs in one spot.

IDK. Maybe so they can focus on sanitizing carts and other frequently touched items in only one entrance instead of all the entrances? Maybe to try to get people to go through the store in only one direction? Does it have arrows on the floor? I haven't seen arrows yet, but someone else posted above that their store was doing that. If they can't staff every entrance to do all the extra cleaning, then they probably had to choose one entrance to keep open. MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RainbowYarnSlueth